http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 10:02:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freaking loving SWAT 4?!  (Read 5527 times)
Ascendent
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2005, 11:29:59 PM »

Anyone else play? Come on co-op mode you have to love it. If anyone else is playing let me know would love to run through with some fearsome cg's

Ascendent
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 12:43:22 AM »

i plan on buying it very soon, pretty much hoping to find it on sale for $39.99.  i'll let you know when i do.

Update:  I've found it at Best Buy for 39 bucks, and will be buying it tomorrow barring any catastrophe
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 01:25:55 AM »

Got it, love it!

I haven't tried the online modes yet.  Still getting my butt handed to me by the single player campaign.

I would enjoy getting a co-op games going though.

I'll have to see how that all works.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 02:26:26 AM »

amazing game. get it now so VU deosnt cancel support for it like they did tribes vengeance. :evil:
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 02:27:36 AM »

I want it after playing the SP demo but cant afford a game at full price. Maybe I can find a person to trade it to me for my old stuff.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 02:42:39 AM »

I thought eh I'll give it a shot, have to support co-op games. Then found out freaking Irrational was behind it, and the game sucked me in. It really did. I actually felt like freaking swat member running missions. The lead is going over the mission, and I'm looking at the map, over entrances, order of clearing rooms, and equipment. Then I listen to the 911 call to see if I can get any more info like number of targets or locations. Then the action starts...

Now truth be told I suck, I'm a decent CS player but I suck so bad on here it's not even funny. I manage to get kills because I'm sneaky but for the most part my squad does all the clearing I just command. Just amazing how accesible the game is, simple right click commands, tab to break up into smaller squads, ins/home and you can control any other man on the team, not to mention the whole sniper deal...*sigh*

Anyways I think this would be an amazing experience with co-op, clearing rooms, saving hosties, watching each other's backs. If you guys want to try it let me know, also hope you guys have mic's.

Ascendent
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 09:01:31 AM »

Allright, I am up for some co-op.  I have a headset, and the teamspeak client software installed...

Let me know when and where and what password, and what comm program to use, and I am up for some SWAT4 multiplayer...

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 12:51:12 PM »

it's a fun game, but there's too much babysitting involved.  Multiplayer is where it's at
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 01:35:06 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
it's a fun game, but there's too much babysitting involved.  Multiplayer is where it's at

I have two friends I play with on a standard basis via Skype (voice chat software) and the game is absolutely amazing. So much teamwork, so much fun.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 02:41:07 PM »

Ok you spot a suspect he makes a break for it, do you...

A. Put him down hard, and fast!
B. Let him run, catch up to him later.

I keep getting alot of those, and well I've been taking them down. Only during debrief I always get unecessary use of deadly force. Still feels good to drop them.

Ascendent
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 08:53:43 PM »

Yeah, if you kill him, that is unautherized use of deadly force.  On the other hand, if you shoot him in the legs and only incapacitate him, that is merely use of excessive force.  Which is only half as much of a penalty!

What I hate is having to carry pepper spray for the occasional civillian that refuses to "get down" when 5 heavily armed SWAT guys are pointing guns and yelling.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 09:11:59 PM »

Yup, the pepperspray is a pain in the ass, you think the guns would be enough *shakes head*

Ascendent
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 10:00:34 PM »

I usually take a tazer as a secondary weapon.  Then I flashbang/stinger a room, and tazer ANY perps who aren't raising their hands.  I don't even yell, I just ZAP!

Just Hiro will do.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 10:20:51 PM »

Hmmm..  Tazers...  That is not a bad idea...

I was on one mission where lethal force was less than ideal (the perps are not really BAD bad guys), so I outfitted everyone with pepper guns and LTL shotguns, but I forgot to bring a tazer, because I figured we all might need something lethal.  So everyone had a 9mm as their secondary.

Even me.  So, there were folks who refused to drop their guns.  I had to resort to shooting them in the hands.  It worked, but it wasn't easy to shoot them enough to make them drop their guns and surrender.  Wouldn't have been possible if they weren't choking on pepper balls.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 11:08:16 PM »

ya i have a buddy who is raving about the co-op.  when i get done with school in a couple weeks i'm gonna pick it up and give it a shot.  from what i undestand co-op is incredibly immersive and a blast.  can't wait to give it a go myself.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 01:04:46 AM »

We came, we saw, we gamespy'd

Still was an absolute blast to play! It's even better then single player, by far.
Myself and Doomboy kicked some butt, well sort of but regardless it was fun. Now we need to figure out how to host a game and get people to actually join.

Ascendent
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 01:10:40 AM »

Yeah, it was a blast!  Deffinately need to figure out how to host our own game next time though.  No complete strangers who can't communicate with headsets.  Headsets makes the game much smoother.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 01:30:20 AM »

Yah made a huge difference, and when one of us ate it, made the wait alot easier. Just distract the guy who's still alive.

But Doom do you think heavy armor makes a difference at all? I was still single shotted with it on. Headshot was also a possiblity. But if given the choice I'd rather retain mobility then give it up for slightly better armor.

Ascendent
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 02:28:43 AM »

I think the heavy armor only matters if they hit you somewhere other than the head.  I think that was the problem.  Those guys are tough in that level we were on.  They had good weapons, body armor, and masks.  I think that level is from late in the game.

I will have to try wearing the heavy armor in one of the early missions, where the bad guys aren't so accurate, and see if that works.

Edit: Just ran through the first mission in multiplayer with heavy armor.  I let a guy shoot me.  He hit me three times before I died, so I guess heavy armor is worth it.  Just gotta stop them before they hit something vital...

Also, as far as connecting to others is concerned, I think the host does need to open up ports on their end.  The ports required are covered in the readme.  So, next time we play, it can be without random strangers.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 05:17:18 PM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"
Also, as far as connecting to others is concerned, I think the host does need to open up ports on their end.  The ports required are covered in the readme.  So, next time we play, it can be without random strangers.

Yup - you need to open up a few ports to let multiplayer work properly. Thankfully the readme contains everything you need.

For fun (multiplayer only), have everybody on your team carry the pepper gun and the tazer. Entirely and totally non-lethal. There are some missions you simply can't do this on (where you encounter somebody with a mask), but beyond that, it's extremely challenging.

But when you get a 100% score...man, does it feel good. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 05:49:05 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Doomboy"

Yup - you need to open up a few ports to let multiplayer work properly. Thankfully the readme contains everything you need.

For fun (multiplayer only), have everybody on your team carry the pepper gun and the tazer. Entirely and totally non-lethal. There are some missions you simply can't do this on (where you encounter somebody with a mask), but beyond that, it's extremely challenging.

But when you get a 100% score...man, does it feel good. smile

*laughs* yah, sure with guns I'm underarmed. Tazer and pepperspray I'm asking for death.

Ascendent
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 06:54:28 PM »

I did that last night for fun.  I went through the serial killer's house with the pepperball gun.  I was really glad when he didn't surrender right away...

frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 01:47:55 AM »

the only thing that irks me about the game is that the use of force measurement is all f'd up.  i mean, if i command a suspect to drop his shotgun and he continues to walk towards me and disregards my command, than that gives me probable cause or authority to use deadly force.  but in this game, if i do just that, i get penalized.  it's like they expect you to wait until they shoot at you first, which is total BS.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 06:08:08 AM »

The game is starting to lose it's luster.

The lack of a mid-game save is pissing me off.  I mean I understand WHY there isn't one.  But after the 5th run through that damn diamond store level it gets a wee bit irritating.  And my men can't sting or bang a room for squat.  I nearly always have to toss in a few more just to cover everything.  And I can't order a taser or a pepper spray on the fly... I always have to do it myself.  

Multiplayer is it's saving grace.  Thank god for sweet sweet multiplayer with teamspeak.

But as a single-player only game it's pretty weak after you get past the incredibly creepy Fairfax levels and the Tenement level (from what I heard, it's right after that Diamond level... which I'm still on. grrrrr).

Just Hiro will do.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 07:46:05 AM »

Superhiro, if you set the difficulty to easy, then all the annoyance with unathorized use of deadly force are gone.  There are no points needed to advance to the next mission, just completion of the current mission.

If you want to skip the career mode altogether, you can set up quick missions to your heart's content.  You start off with access to all the maps.  You just specify mission objectives, number of hostages, and number of bad guys (plus what models they use, what weapons they have, and their skill level and readiness to surrender).

The part that is irritating you is actually only a minor third of the game...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2005, 01:10:21 PM »

Quote from: "frost"
the only thing that irks me about the game is that the use of force measurement is all f'd up.  i mean, if i command a suspect to drop his shotgun and he continues to walk towards me and disregards my command, than that gives me probable cause or authority to use deadly force.  but in this game, if i do just that, i get penalized.  it's like they expect you to wait until they shoot at you first, which is total BS.

Now this I'm in agreement with. It seems that the game truly is waiting for your opponents to open fire before you can. Even though they have a gun and it's pointed right at your head.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2005, 02:18:31 PM »

Well I consider verbal warning justification enough, if they don't comply I shoot them. Not to kill but enough to get them to give up. If they move to shoot then I drop them, so to settle the matter. I play to have fun, the way the game is setup anyways, you can always skip that mission and go to the next so there's really nothing forcing you to play in any particular way.

Ascendent
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2005, 04:30:49 PM »

Like others have said, it is a good game but suffers from a few annoyances.  Lack of ingame save, penalties for use of force, dumb moves by team AI.

A SWAT 4 realism mod is out.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2005, 05:42:49 PM »

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"

Is it just me (or my work's firewall), or does that link not work? All it leads to is a page with a swirly block thing in the middle.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2005, 12:11:09 AM »

Worked for me. Try this link to skip the somewhat obnoxious 'intro'.  :wink:

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2005, 12:13:02 AM »

yeah, but if you let it play out, or click on "skip intro", you will enter the main site.

did anyone DL this yet?  i'm curious if it will screw me up when i go to play multiplayer.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2005, 01:07:36 AM »

Download, yes - install, no not yet. Here is the readme for the mod if people are interested:

S.S.F. Realism Mod 1.1

Authors: SSF (Sheriff's Special Forces)
Executive Producer: GunMod
Quality Assurance Lead: Fuzzy
Support & Adminstration: TheOnly
Research & Development: Informer
Technical Assistance: Hawk
Comic Relief: Shockwave & Fuzzy
Testing & QA: Entire SSF Squad

DESCRIPTION
===============

This mod takes many factors of an already great game and makes it better for those who play serious coop, single player, or TDM.  This mod is not about adding a bunch of uniforms or guns, but rather improving the existing items in the game
to make your gameplay experience better. We believe in quality over quanity and we hope it shows.

WEAPON/GAMEPLAY CHANGES
============================

-All Weapons have proper firing modes as per manufactor specs. Guns with Burst mod start in Burst mode

-All Weapons have correct lethality. (One shot head kills are much more common with higher caliber rounds)

-FMJ and JHP Rounds know penetrate items correctly based on round and caliber.
(Example, a FMJ .223 round will penetrate wood and metal doors, where a 9mm FMJ will only penetrate a wood door.
A JHP 9mm will not penetrate wood doors)

-Firing Rates are more correct as to sustained rounds per minute.

-Equipping animations are slightly faster. (Example, Switching weapons is quicker, etc)

-Weapon effects are more realistic. (Example:Throw a flashbang in a room with "loose" items and stuff will fly across the room)

-Body hits will send a larger impulse to the rag doll being shot.

-Death animations are more realistic. Dying suspects and hostages will jerk and spasm from firing nerve impulses.

-Incapacitation animations more pronounced. Incapacitated suspects and hostages will move in more realistic ways. (Trying to get up, moving their head to look around, etc)

-Flashbangs more effective to UNARMORED suspects/hostages. Flashbangs have a slight fatality issue associated to them, but flashbangs have to be RIGHT ON a suspect to kill them.

-CS Gas has the same effect on AI as unprotected players

-Zoom to fire is instant instead of taking 0.5 seconds.

-Recoil, aim factors and several other factors increased for much more realistic weapons handling.

-Optiwand has a higher field of view so that you can see a larger area. Resolution for Optiwand Camera view changed so that the view doesnt look as pixelated.

-The AK-47 and the UZI SD are now available for all game modes.

-Primary weapons can be used as secondary and secondary can be used as primary weapons. (Example Carry MP5 as Primary and carry LTL Shotgun as secondary, etc)

-Option to not choose ANYTHING for a primary or secondary slot. (Useful for training etc) (also No Armor or Now Helmet Modes

-Removed Red and Blue Team GLOW sticks from backs in TDM Mode ONLY

-AI weapons have same stats and use the same limitations of the player now.

-Dynamic Take Downs now possible with correct aiming and recoil.

-Real-world textures used in the "Loadout" screens. Real Weapon Names, Stats, etc.

-The stinger's lethality and incapacitating effects more realistic, Throwing a stinger on an unarmed person will now have a higher chance of killing them.

-Door charges have a higher lethality and stun zone. (someone standing with 5 to 8 feet from door will be knocked unconcious or killed, persons 8 to 15-20 will be stunned, like a flashbang)

-Breaching shotgun can be used for a very close range (within 15 to 30 feet) weapon.

-Several enemy guns have flashlights. (they won't always use them, but sometimes they might, especially higher-level elite suspects)

AI CHANGES
==============

MOST OF THE AI CHANGES ARE BASED ON DIFFICULTY SETTINGS.
EASY Setting will not seem much different where as ELITE will be much different!

-Different game modes use the same damage settings. No more getting damaged more for playing co-op versus single player.

-AI can now engage or disengage officers at closer ranges.

-AI is more unpredictable.

-AI more likely to use cover when under fire.

-AI will fake surrendering more often.

-AI "moral effects" changed for more realistic gameplay. (Seeing buddies killed, getting shot, etc)

-AI more prone to engage or kill hostages when threatened or hearing you.

-AI much faster on the draw at shooting when they have decided to attack you.

-AI will run farther when trying to hide.

-When barricaded, AI will watch nearby doors and attack if they notice any nearby doors open.

SINGLE PLAYER CHANGES:
=======================

-AI Swat will clear a room more effectively.

-AI Swat will not watch a non-threat more than a new threat.

-AI in single player gets affected by diversionary items (cs, flash, sting) the same as Co-op.

Extras
==========

-Opening Movies and notices removed.

-Very quick "SSF Mod" splash screen at start.
The ONLY OTHER place you will see SSF.
is a very discreet place in the MP server screen.
Didnt want to flood you with "look at me" advertising smile

-Many more that we might have forgotten! smile

INSTALL:

Run the SSF11-INSTALL.EXE
After installing the mod, you MIGHT have to reset your game settings (video, sound, controls, etc)

UNINSTALL:
Run SSF11-REMOVE.EXE
After Uninstalling the mod, you will have to reset your game settings (video, sound, controls, etc)

MULTIPLAYER
============

- When hosting multiplayer, people can see you have the mod on by looking at MOD section of multiplayer list.
It will list as SSF 1.1

- Terrorist Uniforms for TDM Altered so you can visually recognize terrorists from SWAT.

Copyright 2005 S.S.F. www.sheriffsdpt.com

If you are a modder and are interested in using our mod as a base, the only thing we ask, is 4 things.

1) Email us and let us know, and if possible let us know what you are planning on doing.
2) Give us credit were credit is due. A lot of time was spent making this for your enjoyment and all we ask for is a little respect.
3) The mod must be renamed. You can't name it "SSF version 2," etc.
4) You cannot sell this mod for ANY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER.

Enjoy!
-GunMod

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2005, 01:20:11 AM »

Now having played it, way better then regular game. It fixes the horrible recoil. Speeds up movement as well give it a shot, Doomboy and myself are enjoying it.

Ascendent
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2005, 01:40:42 AM »

If anyone wants to play SWAT4 Ascendent and I are playing it now. We are using that realism mod.

The game is co-op, called Console Gold SWAT4, password is cg.

Come join us!  Also as we said we are using the mod so install it before joining.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2005, 05:24:13 AM »

The realism mod makes the multiplayer much better, so I am assuming that it will make the single player much simpler too.  If you like the game but are getting frustrated with its little flaws, install the realism mod.

They seem to have removed the penalty for shooting before a suspect starts shooting at you, which is the biggest complaint I had before.  They also changed the heavy armor (I think) it seems to protect better.

I think we will be playing again tomorrow.  If anyone wants to join, the server will still be the same name, as will the password...

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2005, 05:45:24 AM »

I might play with you guys down the line, but I have a couple other games I have to get reviews done for.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2005, 05:49:36 PM »

when will you guys be playing again?
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 09:35:25 PM »

We mostly play in the evenings, it is recommended that you have a mic though, makes the game so much better. Look for us on msn my user name/email on there is [email protected]

Feel free to send me a tell on there get you situated.

Ascendent
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 10:17:21 PM »

Is there a way to change crosshair color? I cant see that light teal green one at all.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 10:24:24 PM »

Not that I'm aware of play with the settings if you haven't.

Ascendent
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: