http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 02:44:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo (Another Xbox 360 Bites the Dust)  (Read 1119 times)
JasonConan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2007, 05:53:25 AM »

I must have angered the gaming gods somehow.

Last Christmas my wife bought an 360 for me.  At the time I didn't have a HDTV so I let it age in the box, much like a fine wine or cheese.

I swore I would wait until purchasing an HDTV so that I would be able to savor the games that much better.  So I continued to work on my PS2 and PC games, sneaking curious but patient glances at the packaged Xbox.

Fast forward until last month when I picked up a 32" Phillips Widescreen.  Finally a TV that I could use to appreciate the next generation in gaming.  I had been picking up a number of games while waiting, and was extremely pleased with what I experienced.  I've just finished Lost Planet, am well into Dead Rising and Gears of War, and have a bountiful Pinata garden that I have built with my kids.  Life is good, all I have to worry about is how loud I play the stero sound after the wife goes to bed. 

In fact, tonight I picked up The Darkness and recieved an email stating my preordered Bioshock had been shipped today. Icing on the cake.

So I do a little work, hang out with the family until bedtime, and then sneak in for a little 360 action.  I figure I can kill some locusts in Gears until I got tired. 

After loading my game it almost immediately locks up.  Its unresponsive so I turn it off, give it 15 seconds, then back on.  Doesn't boot up, just those @$@$@ three flashing rings.  I unplug it, pop off the harddrive, replug it, turn on, same result.  Flashing red 'screw you loser' light of my life.

WTF?  I've only played the thing for like a month.  Guess I'll call Microsoft in the morning.  My stupid box is going to be gone for a while, isn't it?  SONOFA@#!##!

Thanks for reading.

- J 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 06:24:20 AM »

Sorry to hear your bad luck.

oddly enough my first 360 didn't go bad until a few days after I got my new HDTV and switched over to the HD output on the cables.  It ran fine on the composite outputs but as soon as I went to HD component RRoD again.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 06:24:29 AM »

Quote from: JasonConan on August 22, 2007, 05:53:25 AM

WTF?  I've only played the thing for like a month.  Guess I'll call Microsoft in the morning.  My stupid box is going to be gone for a while, isn't it?  SONOFA@#!##!

I hear Microsoft has really been improving as far as 'out time' goes. I'm hearing it's 2 to 3 weeks (the time from when you make the first call to when you get your console back), a far cry from the 4 to 5 weeks it used to be only a few short months ago.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 08:48:43 AM »

I feel like an overweight Sumo Wrestler walking on fresh ice........Dang, the 3 horsemen of the Apocolypse are closing in on me, I can feel their dank, smelly breath on my neck as we speak.......... paranoid

When, when, its all a matter of time I fear...........pray for me.

PS. Sorry to hear of your mis-fortune. Couldn't have happened at a worse time... tear

Grace: Unmerited favor.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 08:49:17 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 22, 2007, 06:24:29 AM

Quote from: JasonConan on August 22, 2007, 05:53:25 AM

I hear Microsoft has really been improving as far as 'out time' goes. I'm hearing it's 2 to 3 weeks (the time from when you make the first call to when you get your console back), a far cry from the 4 to 5 weeks it used to be only a few short months ago.

They just told me 3-4 weeks when I called them on Friday morning, so I wouldn't expect anything too drastic.  It takes 3 or 4 business days just to get the empty box to you.  

And I can not believe the amount of willpower it must have taken to not play your 360 as it sat there for 8 months.  Cripes!  I know it looks good on an HDTV, but that doesn't mean it looks unplayable on a regular one.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:28:10 AM »

Mine will break (again) the week of Mass Effect's release.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 11:59:14 AM »

Note to self:  Pencil in release of gremlins to ATB's house...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
JasonConan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:51:47 PM »

Thanks for the words guys.  I tried to power it back on with just normal audio/video, but the Red Rings still reign. 

Stupid.  Wish I had gotten it at Costco but the wife picked it up at Kmart.  She's got a relative who works there so she recieved like a 25% discount, which wass awesome at the time, but now I've got to wait on MS to take care of me. 

I just registerend my xbox online and it tells me that it's out of warranty.  Pishaw!  I know the red rings are covered by a 3 year, but I have until December for my one year.  Luckily I still have my crumpled reciept.  I made sure to secure it when I read about all the trouble that the evil yet sweet console has to offer.

I bet I get Bioshock in the mail today. ARGH!

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 12:55:44 PM »

Really sorry to hear about your problem bro. Maybe they will get it back to you sooner than the 3 weeks.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 01:02:07 PM »

I still remember the date when my launch 360 died.  February 16th 2006. 

I remember it because it was the day I bought a 32 inch HD TV specifically for the console so my wife could watch the main HD TV while I played games in the basement.

I feel your pain brother.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:03:41 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 01:52:54 PM »

You could try the towel trick

Cheapy was able to keep his 360 going for weeks this way...4 or 5 days at a time.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 01:53:29 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 22, 2007, 08:48:43 AM

I feel like an overweight Sumo Wrestler walking on fresh ice........

Worst. Metaphor. Ever.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 01:56:22 PM »

If I were in your shoes, Conan, I'd just be glad my 360 died with the rings instead of by a problem not on the extended extended don't make us recall warranty.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 02:06:12 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 22, 2007, 01:53:29 PM

Quote from: Arclight on August 22, 2007, 08:48:43 AM

I feel like an overweight Sumo Wrestler walking on fresh ice........

Worst. Metaphor. Ever.

No, that would be:  I feel more vulnerable than Jerry Springer in a bingo hall...

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 03:33:25 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 22, 2007, 01:02:07 PM

I remember it because it was the day I bought a 32 inch HD TV specifically for the console so my wife could watch the main HD TV while I played games in the basement.

It's like it senses new TV's....

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 03:34:45 PM »

Quote from: JasonConan on August 22, 2007, 12:51:47 PM

I bet I get Bioshock in the mail today. ARGH!

you could always exchange it for the PC version  icon_wink

Because I can,
JasonConan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 05:33:37 AM »

Amazing!

I was sitting around earlier today looking at my unopened Bioshock and decided I was going to try Cheapy's trick.  Since I still haven't recieved the shipping box it wouldn't be so bad to at least try, right?

So I followed the instructions and sure enough it freaking boots right up.

And I've been playing Bioshock for the past 3 hours with no problem.  What the hell is that about?

I still want to get it checked out, but I guess I have to at least play it until it gives me the RROD again.   icon_twisted
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 02:05:53 PM »

You basically 'remelt' the components back into position again. It's a crazy ass trick, and I still don't know why it works as well as it does, but it does.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 02:47:50 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 25, 2007, 02:05:53 PM

You basically 'remelt' the components back into position again. It's a crazy ass trick, and I still don't know why it works as well as it does, but it does.

maybe instead of shipping Coffins MS should start shipping towels.  Of course, everyone knowa that a proper Hitchhiker always has a towel handy.

Because I can,
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 09:22:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 25, 2007, 02:47:50 PM

Quote from: Destructor on August 25, 2007, 02:05:53 PM

maybe instead of shipping Coffins MS should start shipping towels.  Of course, everyone knowa that a proper Hitchhiker always has a towel handy.

Ummmm....just watched that vid. and ummmm.....Why did that work? Your box breaks because it gets hot, so you make it hotter to fix it? WTF
The whole remelting parts don't fly either. He is moving that box all over the place, anything lose in there would have shifted.
Probably the most important question of all. Who\How the hell do you come up with something like that? I mean for real.

Glad to hear your box works and you got to experience Bioshock. thumbsup

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 10:04:29 PM »

Heating it up lets the chips "float" back into place. It doesn't RRoD when it's hot, it just freezes. the RRoD happens after any set amount of cool-down.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 01:45:40 AM »

Quote from: juniordan on August 25, 2007, 09:22:05 PM

Who\How the hell do you come up with something like that? I mean for real.

what?  you don't wrap your malfunctioning electronics up in towels over there?

Because I can,
JasonConan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 04:57:35 AM »

UPS delievered my shipping box today, and ironically the system locked up in the middle of Bioshock and returned to it's red ring ways. 

I guess that's a sign I need to send it away for it's own good.  Stupid thing is basically 2 months old.  Manufacture date was March 2006, if I get an older model I'm going to scream. 

Did I hear the goofball customer service guy correctly that since it screwed up on my they are going to extend my originally 1 year warranty to three years?  Does that sound right to you guys?  Or do you think he was just talking about the 3 red ring warranty?

Since I had some extra credit at EB I picked up Rogue Galaxy, as I'm a sucker for pirate stuff.  Hopefully that can keep me busy until my buddy comes back. 

I shared my painful story with the EB counter guy, he laughed and said he's had a 360 for a couple of years and hasn't had any problems.  I managed to ignore the voices that wanted me to wrap my hands around his neck and squeeze....

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 06:07:37 AM »

Quote from: JasonConan on August 29, 2007, 04:57:35 AM

I shared my painful story with the EB counter guy, he laughed and said he's had a 360 for a couple of years and hasn't had any problems.  I managed to ignore the voices that wanted me to wrap my hands around his neck and squeeze....

a real Conan would have lopped his head off and used his skull as a goblet.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: