http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 05:02:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four Final Fantasy's in one month?  (Read 2227 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2007, 11:26:53 PM »

I have a confession-I have never actually finished a FF game.  I beat FF Tactics but I played with a friend.  Played about 35 hours of FF7, 30 hours of FF9, and about 40 hours of FFX.  I never beat any of them though.  I'm wondering if it would be possible to go through and beat them all in the month of December.  Is it do you think?  If I start over from the beginning?  I don't have a job so that will help.  On the other hand I don't want to be sitting in front of the TV permanently for a month.  Is it possible to rush through them without doing too much grinding and very few sidequests and finish them in say 30 hours or 35 hours?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:50:07 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 03, 2007, 11:26:53 PM

I have a confession-I have never actually finished a FF game.  I beat FF Tactics but I played with a friend.  Played about 35 hours of FF7, 30 hours of FF9, and about 40 hours of FFX.  I never beat any of them though.  I'm wondering if it would be possible to go through and beat them all in the month of December.  Is it do you think?  If I start over from the beginning?  I don't have a job so that will help.  On the other hand I don't want to be sitting in front of the TV permanently for a month.  Is it possible to rush through them without doing too much grinding and very few sidequests and finish them in say 30 hours or 35 hours?

IIRC, first time through I beat FF7 in 35, FF9 in 45, and FFX in 40.  That's with a minimum of side quest, and just the requisite grinding to get all the way through.

That said, it would be a shit-ton of gaming for a single month.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 11:57:43 PM »

You could probably FF7 and FF9 in 40 hours or so.  FFX is the shorter, so you probably wouldn't have a problem finishing it in 30.  You might go around babbling incoherently afterwards, but it should be possible slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:13:23 AM »

Played about 35 hours of FF7, 30 hours of FF9, and about 40 hours of FFX.  I never beat any of them though.

105 hours of JRPG without finishing any of the games?  icon_eek

I think I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater while chewing on tin foil.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:16:55 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 12:35:50 AM »

I've played every FF but 11, and haven't finished any of them to date.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 12:47:54 AM »

Is it possible to rush through them without doing too much grinding and very few sidequests and finish them in say 30 hours or 35 hours?

possible, i guess, tho why you'd want to, i'm not sure (just logged maybe 50 hrs on fft:wotl, which i'd already played in it's previous incarnation) - all 4 of the games are more than worthy of just being enjoyed, however much time that might take. can't imagine wanting to rush thru'm...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 12:59:20 AM »

You could easily do it.
But you should take time to enjoy them,  or else it is a waste of time. Its just for the fact of saying you beat 4 FFs in a month.
I put over 130 hours into just FFX and that is the shortest one of the bunch.
But then again I thought it was completely necessary to complete everyones sphere grids, find all they're Legendary Weapons and complete so many seasons of Blitz ball and all that crap. After you play that much Blitz ball you start to believe it is a real sport hah.

The 130 hours I put in took me a month and a half.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 01:25:03 AM »

It sounds like it could drive you insane.

I say go for it!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 01:57:20 AM »

130 hours ???!!!

There has never been a game in history that is worth 130 hours of your life.  That is rediculous.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 02:05:36 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 04, 2007, 01:57:20 AM

There has never been a game in history that is worth 130 hours of your life.  That is rediculous.

I finished Oblivion the first time around right after I hit the 100 hour mark. It was more than worth my time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 02:39:25 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 04, 2007, 01:57:20 AM

130 hours ???!!!

I've put over 100 into both FF Tactics and FF Tactics Advance.  Loved every minute of it.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 03:06:39 AM »

Haha, well I think at least 30 of those hours are because I would get stuck with no save point and not want to start over so I'd just leave it running well I slept. But still thats 100 hours. I dont know, I was just really into it haha?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 03:14:25 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 04, 2007, 12:13:23 AM

Played about 35 hours of FF7, 30 hours of FF9, and about 40 hours of FFX.  I never beat any of them though.

105 hours of JRPG without finishing any of the games?  icon_eek

I think I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater while chewing on tin foil.

Yeah it's pretty sad-talk about a waste.  I've done that with a lot of games actually.  30 or 40 hours in Chrono Cross-never finished it.  25 hours into Xenosaga-never finished it.  I managed to finish Ico because it was only about 10 hours!  I put about 17 hours into Okami and never finished it.  Talk about a waste of god damn time!!  The problem with RPG's is that once you step away for a while it's really hard to get back into it.  You forget the story and what the heck you're supposed to be doing.  You guys are right- four games in a month is a little bit much.  My goal for December will be to beat FF7 only.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 04:06:29 AM »

If you do this, blog it or track it in some way for posterity. Sort of like this ultima blog.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 04:13:31 AM »

Nah I wouldnt go to the extent of that Ultima Blog, its a little too detailed.
I'd say do something in point form, that way it wont take away from gaming haha, and it wont take over your entire life.
"Oh I just played for 8 hours, better go write a blog for another hour, then look up strategy, maybe eat then play some more."

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 04:27:31 AM »

This thread makes me feel pretty good.  For all the games I have sitting in the backlog unfinished, I barely have any Final Fantasy.  I finished VII, VIII, IX, X, XII and Tactics.  X was the only one that I did a lot of the omega dungeon.  I also only got the easy legendary weapons.  The rest I just played through to the end.  I'd probably put the best as a toss up between XII and Tactics.  The only one that have sitting in the backlog is Tactics Advance.  Well, I guess Vagrant Story is kind of related so there's that too.

I also need to finish Persona 3, DQ VIII and Suikoden III.  Oh, and Oblivion.  But I'm pretty good on Final Fantasy.

On topic, if I were you, I'd just play through VII again from the beginning.  Unless you have XII sitting around and just didn't mention it.  Then I'd just play that.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 06:43:10 AM »

I put 195 hours into Dark Cloud 2, and loved every minute of it.  I didn't even complete everything; there were probably another 50 hours or so left I could have done. 

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 07:46:51 AM »

I think we've already got a few blogs going around here don't we?  Godzilla Blitz is doing one of his playthrough of the entire FF series-in Japanese.  And someone else is doing one on all the RPG's for the Playstation!  To be honest, I'm having a hard enough time finishing the damn games without doing all that work on a blog! smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 11:44:46 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 04, 2007, 07:46:51 AM

I think we've already got a few blogs going around here don't we?  Godzilla Blitz is doing one of his playthrough of the entire FF series-in Japanese.  And someone else is doing one on all the RPG's for the Playstation!  To be honest, I'm having a hard enough time finishing the damn games without doing all that work on a blog! smile

Yeah but it's fun!

- This post brought to you by RPG Rewind.

(or maybe just update this thread as you progress to make your life simpler.)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 12:16:22 PM »

How do you take the screenshots?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 12:21:33 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 04, 2007, 12:16:22 PM

How do you take the screenshots?

I'm playing my Playstation One games through an emulator on my PC.  I've had good luck with ePSXe but others have found it to be a PIA.  I then use a screen capture program then edit the screens with an image editor (I use Picasa).
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 12:51:23 PM »

Interesting. I was wondering if I should do that with mine.  Are the graphics any better at all?  The texture smoothing that the PS2 does helps get rid of some of FF7's warts smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 01:09:38 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 04, 2007, 12:51:23 PM

Interesting. I was wondering if I should do that with mine.  Are the graphics any better at all?  The texture smoothing that the PS2 does helps get rid of some of FF7's warts smile

Yes!  You might check out some of the screenshots I posted on my blog.  I played through FF7 this summer.  Maybe avoid the later ones as I spoil everything: http://rpgrewind.com/category/final-fantasy-vii/

Here's what I used to configure ePSXe for FF7: http://www.lordkane.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=476/0
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 03:57:18 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 04, 2007, 06:43:10 AM

I put 195 hours into Dark Cloud 2, and loved every minute of it.  I didn't even complete everything; there were probably another 50 hours or so left I could have done. 

wow... I got bored about 10 hours into DC2- I can't imagine playing it for almost 200 hours.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 08:45:42 PM »

I haven't finished 8 , 9 and 12 myself.  For some reason somewhere in the middle of them all I stopped playing.  I'd join you on your december crusade to beat them, but I'm going to work on Mass Effect and a few other backlog titles first.

Good luck !!

unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 09:02:18 PM »

YMMV, but I absolutely loved playing FF8.  But there is a little quirk about the system with is boring and annoying- if you can ignore that part, its a really good game.

For some reason, I could never really get into FF9, but it's on my list to play.  I've played every FF up to and including FF8... and own every FF after that (except for FF12).

If you like JRPGs, I would recommend just playing them through and not approach it as a job to be completed in a week.  Just play it, enjoy playing, dick around, etc.  I can't recall what my finish time was on FF8, but it was way way beyond what anyone generally beats it with (I did spend a lot of time with the card game, and creating items and stuff). 

There's always stuff to see and do, which IMO is part of the charm of JRPGs.  I remember on FF7 I spent enormous amounts of time playing the motorcycle battle game in the Gold Saucer arcade.  It was so fun!  You won a pretty decent amount of tickets, too, if I recall.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 09:04:03 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 05:12:08 AM »

Man good luck, this is an awesome idea. I know I have been planning on playing 7,8,9,10,and 12 straight through in the late winter early spring when the new games dry up, so I fully support your idea.  thumbsup
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 05:22:32 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 04, 2007, 09:02:18 PM

YMMV, but I absolutely loved playing FF8.  But there is a little quirk about the system with is boring and annoying- if you can ignore that part, its a really good game.

Hey, look, it's a new monster with a new spell! I want that spell!

Draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw...

You get my point.

The entire battle system of FF8 was broken, IMHO, and because of that it should be skipped. You're better off playing through FF7 again or something instead of 8.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 02:35:06 PM »

Well I'm 8 hours in and we've just left Midgar and Cloud is telling us about his backstory.  Quite good stuff-I can't remember any of it hardly!
unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 04:39:05 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 05, 2007, 05:22:32 AM

Quote from: unbreakable on December 04, 2007, 09:02:18 PM

Hey, look, it's a new monster with a new spell! I want that spell!

Draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw...

You get my point.

The entire battle system of FF8 was broken, IMHO, and because of that it should be skipped. You're better off playing through FF7 again or something instead of 8.

The draw system sucked, but it's not even necessary to buy into that system.  I personally went the game doing primarily physical damage, and just equipped spells to boost stats.  Or, you can even just not worry about it, since the game's difficulty scales to your level.  Even boss fights.

As I said, others may hold different opinions, but I found a lot to like with FF8.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 04:44:49 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 05, 2007, 05:22:32 AM

I'd probably use the term "tedious" rather than "broken".  More than anything, the Draw system felt like a mechanic used to artificially lengthen playtime.  It's certainly not my favorite thing, but I'd still highly recommend the game to anyone with an interest in FF.  Once I figured it out, I really enjoyed the Junction mechanic, and some of the artwork and music is amazing.  The whole waltz sequence remains one of my favorite gaming moments.

Reminds me that I need to go back and actually finish it sometime.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2007, 11:49:31 AM »

Over 20 hours into FF7 right now.  And I'm still on the first bloody disc! I'm making my second trip to the Gold Saucer on the hunt for some keystone and looking for the Temple of the Ancients!
Great, fantastic game.  I can see why so many people love it.  To go from playing something like Final Fantasy 6 one generation to Final Fantasy 7 the next-I doubt we'll ever see that large a leap in presentation ever again.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »

The leap from 10 to 12 is pretty amazing as well.  Mainly because you go from walking around hand drawn 2d backgrounds to a fully realized 3d world.  Also wait until you see 8 it has a nice step forward in the look of the characters smile

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2007, 10:44:09 AM »

Quote from: faide on December 08, 2007, 03:17:49 PM

The leap from 10 to 12 is pretty amazing as well.  Mainly because you go from walking around hand drawn 2d backgrounds to a fully realized 3d world.  Also wait until you see 8 it has a nice step forward in the look of the characters smile

Yeah, the leap from 10 to 12 is probably just as great as from 6 to 7. In particular, the quality of the environments and the voice acting. Personally, I made the mistake of playing 12 first and found it very difficult to go back to 10 and suffer through the horrid voice acting in that game. Loved 10's battle system, however.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2007, 02:10:14 PM »

VII's great.  I plan on retrying VIII sometime but really couldn't get into it the first couple of times I tried.  IX is also great with some really cool characters and a more "fantasy" setting.  The story isn't quite as fun/crazy as VII's though.

10's awesome but godhugh is absolutely right about the voice acting being awful and the battle system being awesome.

Skip 10-2 or else you may find yourself missing your testicles.

I actually haven't played much of 12.  It seems awesome but I just had too much going on when it came out.  I will finish it at some point.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 04:35:39 PM »

Quote from: faide on December 08, 2007, 03:17:49 PM

Do you mean from 9 to 10?  Because, outside of a couple of spots, 10 was full 3D.  You just didn't have camera control.  The last one to rely on 2D backgrounds was FF9. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2007, 04:51:01 PM »

Ok, I have decided. Once I finish my current backlog of new games (substantial), I am doing the modern FF playthrough. 7,8,9,X,X-2, and 12. I hope to start in January. FEAR ME!

Chances of completion knowing the way I play games (and RPG's): <1%
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 07:21:03 PM by Calvin » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 09, 2007, 04:51:01 PM

Chances of completion knowing the way I play games (and RPG's): >1%

Actually greater than 1% is pretty good.  icon_wink

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2007, 07:21:27 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 09, 2007, 06:04:20 PM

Quote from: Calvin on December 09, 2007, 04:51:01 PM

Chances of completion knowing the way I play games (and RPG's): >1%

Actually greater than 1% is pretty good.  icon_wink

You know when I was typing that I was wondering if I had done it the right way-thats pretty sad smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 12:06:32 AM »

I've actually never played six but I had assumed that it was an old-school top down 8-bit RPG.  Am I wrong?  All I know is that I'm amazed today by some of the things they do with FF7.  For example when the 2D backgrounds seamlessly transform into a movie with your character in it.  Sure the resolution is shiite but it's quite awesome.  And some of those summon sequences in FF7 are absolutely awesome despite their age.  I can only imagine how people were totally blown away in 1997 or whenever this game came out.  Sadly I wasn't really into games back then so I missed it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: