http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 01:20:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza vs GT4 single player: where do you stand now?  (Read 1229 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2005, 08:31:24 PM »

I've been tempted to buy Forza for quite a while, and now that you guys have had some mileage I'm curious to hear what you think about the single player portion.

GT4 was the first GT game I had ever owned, and I seemed to go through a phase where I hated it at first, then something 'clicked' and I enjoyed the heck out of it for a week or two, only to get bored fast with no clear direction of what I should be doing in the single player portion (unlocking new cars just isn't that much fun after the first 30 or so).

So you Forza folks, are you still enjoying the single player portion?  Would someone (like myself) who is burned out of GT4 find something more interesting there?  The online leaderboard stuff in PGR2 kept me interested in the single player portion for months; I'm hoping to hear that people have a similar interest in Forza.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 08:40:14 PM »

Gonna sell GT4, don't need it with Forza. slywink

Forza is online with Live!, has online leaderboards, has Drivatar coolness, has all of us fools on Live!

It is similarly directionless like GT4 and it's not as easy to get to the supercars.

After about 10 hours with GT4 I could buy any car that was a available and was bored with it. With Forza, I'm still unlocking, spending every last dime and having fun. I still don't have access to any R-class cars (purpose-built race cars), but I have enough variety to keep it interesting.

With Live you have access to all the cars in your garage as well as most of the stock cars across all classes so you alwasy have access to something competitive to race (you can unlock all of the stock cars through the arcade mode - which is also fun biggrin).

Forza does require a bit more skill as bouncing off the walls *will* ruin your day and the AI is less predictable.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 08:42:50 PM »

Forza.

If I could only use the Logitech wheel on the Xbox... :cry:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 08:46:25 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Forza.

If I could only use the Logitech wheel on the Xbox... :cry:

since you bring up the controller, and I don't have a wheel for either system... the xbox triggers kick butt for throttle/brake compared to the buttons on the ps2 controller

Did I mention kick-ass Live support?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 09:17:45 PM »

I'd give the nod to Forza as well.

I played the hell out of GT2, played GT3 for about a month, and GT4 for a day(more because of WoW than the game itself).  As far as single player goes, the gameplay is similar to GT(how much different can racing simulators be?), but online scoreboards change everything for me.  Sure, I'm trying to earn money and unlock cars as usual, but seeing the scoreboard before the race starts gives me something to shoot for.  

It *is* nice seeing the AI screw up once in awhile too.  It's not so nice, however, seeing how much my Drivatar sucks.  smile  Funny thing, that Drivatar... I use it when I need to do something else(change laundry, get a drink), but instead of doing what I need to do I always end up watching the race to see how it does.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 09:27:06 PM »

Quote from: "Loomi"
It's not so nice, however, seeing how much my Drivatar sucks.  smile  Funny thing, that Drivatar... I use it when I need to do something else(change laundry, get a drink), but instead of doing what I need to do I always end up watching the race to see how it does.

I use my drivatar to run the Tokyo races for me, I hate that course with all my heart and my drivatar handles it soo much better than I do. slywink He does take a HUGE chunk of the race proceeds though, so you can't really use it to grind cash like you can in the "coach mode" in GT4 (it also appears it can't be fast forwarded like it can in GT4).

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 11:14:13 PM »

Hard to say... they're both pretty good but not without glaring flaws.

Forza is a better designed game.  It flows (from series to series, race to race) really well.  You tend to always have a goal and are working towards it.  Online scoreboards are AWESOME.  However, the AI is just godawful.  I hate it worse than GT4's AI now.  It has zero collision avoidance.  The AI has no idea how to avoid your car.

GT4 does everything well, but some things not quite to the extent that Forza does.  The game design for Forza blows GT4 away, but GT4 has a much nicer variety of cars (older models, just more cars period).  The physics engine in Forza is better than GT4s, but GT4 feels better when I get to use my Logitech Wheel.  GT4 has fairly wooden AI, but at least it won't absolutely ruin your race and cause you to hurl your controller.

All that being said, I play Forza more now.  I feel like I have a purpose for racing, though the AI does drive me to a maddening rage at times.  Also, since my wheel is hooked up to my PC in the other room, I have less motivation to pull it out for GT4.  Right now my most frustrating option is to a) play at Medium difficulty and walk away with every race, but not get ram-pwn3d by the AI, or b) play at Hard difficulty and have a good race, but risk the chance of getting punted.  Not a great option, but hell... I'm still playing.

gellar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 11:56:04 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"

Did I mention kick-ass Live support?

Well, he *did* mention single-player....
jztemple
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 06:55:02 PM »

I already had GT4 (since the day it came out!) and I bought an Xbox and Forza. I don't play online with Xbox Live, haven't decided whether I want to take the plunge. I had some unhappy experiences with jerks when trying to play TOCA2 (PC) online.

I have had my Forza about two weeks and I can say that I am far happier in single player mode with Forza. The AI is a lot more interesting to race against, since as advertised they do race like humans, taking chances, making mistakes, but also giving you your line unless you rammed 'em a bit  :wink:. Add to that a better selection of cars, better graphics, better customization (which I thought I would never use!), the drivatar (which is very cool and useful) and the Xbox controller; analog triggers are better than the right joystick I had mapped. I'm very pleased with Forza.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 12:11:11 AM »

I'm still lovingly going through Forza's singleplayer. The car customization adds a different touch to the game, and the driving itself seems faster, more fun, and actually (to me) more controllable than GT as well. Mind you I never played GT with a wheel.

Anyway, it's been fun enough that it's taken over about 90% of my Xbox time as of late.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: