http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:19:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza Motorsport info (IGN link)  (Read 1244 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2004, 06:52:12 PM »

{posted new article to distinguish from last Forza thread}

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/536/536945p1.html

Running at a crisp 60 frames per second, the tracks and cars both earn degradation throughout a race. Oil and tire marks mar the roadway and if you scrape a concrete wall you'll leave some paint as a memento that remains throughout the race. Every licensed car -- more than 200 total -- features full damage modeling. But this isn't just about crumpling bumpers and popping taillights. Bash into another car or slam into a retaining wall and your paint will chip. By the end of a race [ ... ] your car will look like it's run through the thickets, with scraps and paint chips heaviest on the front bumper and fenders.

Anyone wanna buy a "gently used" civic?
"but there's a tree sticking out of the hood!"
Yes, but it was a gentle impact. slywink

Tires received some of the heaviest attention, as they affect performance much more than the casual racing fan may realize. Pressure, temperature, and wear aren't just long-term issues. [ ... ] Of course, the other standard physics considerations are all accounted for as well. There are hundreds of mathematics being calculated every second of a race for every car -- including AI drivers -- and your handling and modding make a huge difference. Not only will every car online look unique, because of the exhaustive modding options and the variation in handling by a million different drivers, every car will race differently online as well.

Finally, none of this "upgrade kit 1, 2, 3."
(All essential and only have net benefits with no drawbacks).

The Forza team sets up several Xboxes each night and lets them race. The Drivatar AI learns from them every time. It's not just learning the tendencies on a general level, but for every car and track and with every modification. How does this one drive in a Civic Type R with modifications X, Y, and Z handle this one specific turn in Laguna Seca on the third lap? Yes it's that exact. If you brake late and spin out, the AI learns from this and is smart enough to make adjustments based on your failure. Every night Drivatar is learning, becoming smarter and better with every car on every track in every condition so that it can make smart real-time "human" decisions in a race.

Aw crap.... it's getting a headstart. slywink I wonder if I can download it's AI into my grand am ??

For every car you will have access to 6 masks, each with 100 layers for dropping in any variety of designs and logos. A layer is just like in Photoshop, one skin (out of a whopping 100) where you can choose from a large variety of patterns and logos. Switch up the layers easily, moving one shape to the foreground while dropping another to the backdrop of your vehicular mural. What you can do with all this is pretty amazing as you can easily manipulate and color patterns and insignias. Enlarge a racing stripe, paint it purple, move it to the top corner of the fender -- It's all a snap. If you can think it, you can probably design it.

Now, I said that there were six masks. A mask is basically one side of the car, so you have hood, rear, sides, roof, and bumper to alter to meet your visual desires. That's 6 masks, 100 layers each, making for 600 layers for design -- you've seen nothing like it, hell, not even in the real world.

So, um, team-based skins with Live 3.0? Sweeet.

Modding your car won't just be about upgrading the engine, putting in new shocks, and figuring out which tires are best for a given track. With fully-licensed parts from the biggest manufacturers, you'll be able to tweak just about every car. However, real world sensibilities apply. There will be about 60 heavily-moddable cars, those that in the real world see a lot of modification. Of course you are gonna mod the hell out of your Civic, but the Ferrari 360 Moderna? Don't expect to have many mod options, because there's little you can (or would) do to actually make that car any better.

Other than putting ME in it, I can't think of any ferrari mods. Tongue

When you first kick up Forza, you'll create a profile. Part of the process involves choosing a region -- USA, Europe, or Asia. You don't have to pick a region you're from, but you can only pick one and that's where you are from, for the rest of your use with that profile. This is a big, big deal in the world of Forza because your region dictates what parts and cars are readily available. Whaaaaa?!? Yeah, a Chevy is commonplace in the US, but good luck buying on in Asia.

It's a good thing your selected region isn't real-world; cuz otherwise we'd be hard-pressed to get any Asian cars. Damned Japanese market with their non-Xbox adoption. Tongue

Some damned fine info in this article.

Ron, give us some detail on the mod stuff, if you can.

THANKS!!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
daszo24
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 07:52:41 PM »

Wow!  This game looks better and better all of the time.

Xbox Live Tag: daszo  (PGR2, Splinter Cell: PT, Colin Mcrae 04, Sega GT Online)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 08:02:47 PM »

I can't say "IN!" enough!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 08:07:35 PM »

It seems MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf and Forza Motorsports have switched spots in release time.  MA2 is now coming in late December with Forza scheduled for early January.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
mad_alien
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 03:07:41 PM »

I read in another interview that they were only able to pull 30fps in the game because of the level of detail and customization of the game....the full screen AA just made 60fps unreachable.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 09:02:11 PM »

30's good enough. That's what Halo runs in, and I think it plays fantastically. Yes, I'm aware that is most certainly not a word.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 11:03:44 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
30's good enough. That's what Halo runs in, and I think it plays fantastically. Yes, I'm aware that is most certainly not a word.

Fanfrickintastic. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: