http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 05:40:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza Motorsport impressions here!  (Read 17990 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2005, 06:30:26 PM »

Picked it up at lunch and wnt home to play for an hour.

Much like GT3/4 it has a completely free-form career mode... not what I prefer, but I guess a lot of people do. I made my home in North America and picked my favorite of the US based cars.. Lexus IS300. I went straight in to the first race series and managed to win all the races in a couple of tries (I REALLY hate the blind downhill at Laguna Seca)... I also ran the first set of point to point races I could run. Through that I got to Level 5 and won 3 more cars and spent most of my winnings upgrading the Lexus to the 380hp monster I always knew it could be.

I'm not all that good at simulation level racing, but had little problem with winning these early races (with most of the assists on). turning assists off nets you more points/cash for winning races, turning more on nets you less and the interface tells you exactly how much more/less you will get.

Races are repeatable for more cash, I didn't have time to see if I could win the same car over and over like GT4.

Honestly, from everything I was able to try at lunch, this is Gran Turismo 4 for the XBOX.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2005, 06:32:53 PM »

Please read the teamxbox and 1up reviews.

The IGN review said a lot of stuff that's completely bunk, there's threads on almost every Forza forum flaming the IGN reviewer for being an idiot including the IGN forum.

If your deciding not to buy based on the ign review then the bad guys win this one...give it a rent to try it at least.

The thing that impresses me the most about Forza Motorsport isn’t the wicked physics and handling model, or the game modes, or even the Drivatar system. The fact that Microsoft Game Studios was able to create a full simulation that has driver’s assists that allow even casual race fans enjoy Forza Motorsport is this title’s strongest asset. Jack the AI difficulty to Hard (or go high ELO hunting online), turn off all driver assists, pick a high horsepower car, and hold on. Beginners won’t make it around a lap in less than ten minutes. It gets tougher too at this difficulty level as the laps go on - fuel depletion and tire wear come into play and contact almost always messes up your carefully-tweaked suspension settings. But if you add the suggested driving line, the smooth-shifting auto tranny, and (at least) ABS, you now have a driving game that has a shallow learning curve; one that invites you to play it more and more. You’ll challenge yourself to turn off the assists one-by-one, knowing that it will earn you that many more credits. Even if you keep playing Forza Motorsport less like a sim, you can still get through the game and enjoy it, both online and offline. Sure, you won’t be setting any scoreboard records, but you’ll have fair competition due to the ELO system, and can always add more driver aids if you get in over your head against the stingy AI.

Trust me, with a couple of assists on, even the occasional really aggressive AI car won't ruin your race...but with assists all off...yea, its a sim, and you can knock cars off the road and into spins then.

And this game plays REALLY well with an S controller.  Far far far better than GT4 does with the default PS2 controller.

I've been playing it all assists off with the S controller and am doing good and improving every attempt.  I don't find the default AI bad at all or overagressive.  It's far far less agressive than other players will be online.  It does a very good job of avoiding collisions most of the time, though not always, sometimes they will bump you, but heck, sometimes, when you cut them off it just sends them into the wall....it's a really cool racing sim and driving aids let you deal with even the agressive AI drivers without breaking a sweat if you want.

But by all means...if someone doesn't like any challenge at all in a game then they should of course stear clear of forza, because it will definitely keep challenging you no matter how good you get, it'll give you more.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2005, 06:46:29 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
Please read the teamxbox and 1up reviews.

The IGN review said a lot of stuff that's completely bunk, there's threads on almost every Forza forum flaming the IGN reviewer for being an idiot including the IGN forum.

If your deciding not to buy based on the ign review then the bad guys win this one...give it a rent to try it at least.

IGN still gave the game a 9.0, so I'd figure those two critiques are fairly accurate.  Even the Team XBox agrees regarding the graphics.  I won't read the 1up review, because I honestly don't trust any review that gives any game a perfect score.

The game seems very, very good.  The two issues above, however, seem very, very valid.  The gamespot review touched on overly aggressive AI.

I have no doubt that this is a 90-95% game.  It's just not one I personally need.  It won't get playtime away from GTR, on account that GTR is an actual sim.  It probably won't get playtime away from GT4, since it seems as though it's very, very similar and its major pluses are taken away by not having a wheel for the XBox.

I'll Gamefly it sometime down the line, but I certainly don't feel compelled to buy it.

gellar
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2005, 06:49:40 PM »

IGN gave the game a 9.5

And it has numerous factual errors in the text.  But, whatever, if the reason is because you prefer GT4, just say it, don't slay it.

edit: made an error.

The teamxbox review has 8 pages of well written text.  Personally i dont trust the ign review you refer to because it does have several major factual errors and also the editor is clearly not just reviewing forza, he's writing about forza trying to make it sound like a GT4 wannabe... Forza isn't GT4.

It's like the IGN reviewer is almost grudingly giving any respect to the game.  He tries to find fault through GT4 comparisons and doesn't really praise the innovation very much.

He also states that he thinks games like Need for Speed underground and Midnight Club 3 outclass it in modding..... The guy totally does not get the game.

You do yourself a disservice basing a decision on that review.  I'm not sayin you should buy it, i'm just sayin your doing yourself a disservice trusting that IGN review.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2005, 06:53:40 PM »

They aren't factual errors.  They're opinions.

And actually, I prefer GTR smile

gellar
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2005, 07:08:41 PM »

No factual errors? Just opinions?

Well lets take this little section here:
Players can modify the exteriors of their cars with dozens of layers of decals, paint, or alter the look with after-market car parts, and they can tune, upgrade, and tweak the interior of their vehicles for enhanced performance. The depth of the exterior modding shines brightest in the sheer amount of layers (12) you can add to any car. You can stretch, spin, expand, or shrink each shape, and you can add dozens of real world car company logos, too. The list of colors is not all that as gratifying, however (there simply aren't enough colors), and the conservative approach to the accessible portions of the car is a little annoying.

Furthermore, while it's excellent that you can indeed modify the exterior of your vehicle with spoilers, fenders, hoods, tires, and rims, Forza is by no means as deep or as satisfying as Midnight Club 3, SRS, or Need for Speed Underground 2 in terms of pure mod-able depth. After playing those racers, Forza feels a little shallow in that regard. It's obvious that the Forza team spent more important time on physics, online play, and AI balance than these features.

1. 12 Layers is flat wrong.  Forza allows the application of 600 individual unique layers.  A total of 100 per side for 6 sides (spoiler considered a side).  It offers a full list of a colors and simple shapes which can be resized stretched colored, and graded any way you like.  This allows the construction of almost any artwork or images you can think of.  already some very uniquely painted vehicles showing up with scenes created from shapes that look very cool.

2. The reviewer started out his review comparing forza to GT4, but when it suits his purpose he switches to NFSU2 and MC3 in order to slam Forza for not having as many spoiler and rim options as those two arcade racers which FOCUS on those non performance exterieor parts options.  Completely disreguarding the fact that no true sim has anywhere NEAR Forza's depth in this area.  He then ignores the fact that in total customization inside and out, Forza blows away those two games he said were better at customization than Forza.  It is an absolute fact that in moddable depth, Forza far outclasses those other games.

3.  The reviewer caps it off with a statement that almost makes it sound criminal that forza spent so much more time on AI, physics and gameplay than rim and spoiler optoins.

4. In Gellars quote, IGN stated that due to the agressive AI you MUST be prepared for a frustrating experience.  This is FACTUALLY untrue as turning on driving aids makes even the most aggressive AI almost completely unable to knock you off the road.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2005, 07:24:34 PM »

I'm referring to the two things I pulled out of the review, as they are really the two major pieces of the review I was concerned about.  I don't care about customization in the very least, actually.

And as far as your point 4, so in order to alleviate the apparently over aggressive AI, I have to dumb down the driving model?  No thanks.  I like difficult driving games.  Automobiles are my number 1 hobby.  I "competitively" drive on the weekends, from Auto-X, to Time Trials at local tracks, to Monte Carlo style rallies.  I just don't want a game that is frustrating because the AI drives unrealistically aggressively.  I get that enough with online NASCAR races.  At least then I have someone to yell at.

gellar
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2005, 08:20:32 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Honestly, from everything I was able to try at lunch, this is Gran Turismo 4 for the XBOX.

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
Personally i dont trust the ign review you refer to because it does have several major factual errors and also the editor is clearly not just reviewing forza, he's writing about forza trying to make it sound like a GT4 wannabe... Forza isn't GT4.

:lol:

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »

The "not as good as graphics as GT4" seem to be just about the car models. I've seen other posters who have agreed with this but say everything else is better on the Xbox.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2005, 08:55:57 PM »

Does Forza have full damage modeling?  The online play alone will probably make me trade in GT4 for it.  But if it has realistic damage modeling then I will run out the door right now.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2005, 08:59:42 PM »

I lost control in a turn and my Ford Focus smashed pretty badly into the left barrier.  Besides the visual damage, for the rest of the race the steering pulled to the left, very annoying.  Run denoginizer run!
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2005, 09:27:21 PM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
Does Forza have full damage modeling?  The online play alone will probably make me trade in GT4 for it.  But if it has realistic damage modeling then I will run out the door right now.

Run like the wind, Young Denoginizer. (read that as Deionogizer). You will not be disappointed.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2005, 09:43:20 PM »

It also penalizes you points/cash for the damage done to your car in a race and has multiple levels of damage, realistic damage gets you a nice bonus to the race payout.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2005, 10:53:47 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
I'll Gamefly it sometime down the line, but I certainly don't feel compelled to buy it.

gellar

I just took my '99 Subaru 2.5 RS, swapped in a WRX STi engine, then took it into a Lancer vs. Impreza hill climb on a Japanese mountain road.  Come on now, you want this game.
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2005, 11:52:25 PM »

The AI drivers will determine if it's a buy or just a rental down the road.

Maybe someone can answer if the AI drivers follow in single file down that scripted raceline, or if they drive somewhat close to TOCA's AI drivers(non-scripted and they make mistakes on entries/exits, they also don't bump you out just because you're in their line)?

Thanks.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2005, 12:27:52 AM »

Maybe someone can answer if the AI drivers follow in single file down that scripted raceline,

Read the Gamespot review.  The AI drivers are fairly unpredictable, and can make bad moves, or brilliant ones, but they aren't the blah GT3/4 drivers.  The AI seems to be very solid.

The car models are good, not great.  They may be great when you add a lot of the customization stuff on them.  It may be why they don't start out as sharp as GT4s.

Forza's scenary blows away GT4 though, no comparison.  The XBox is just more powerful, and it shows.  GT4 pushes the PS2 hard, but it shows the age of the PS2.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2005, 12:30:40 AM »

Quote from: "tripwire"

Maybe someone can answer if the AI drivers follow in single file down that scripted raceline, or if they drive somewhat close to TOCA's AI drivers(non-scripted and they make mistakes on entries/exits, they also don't bump you out just because you're in their line)?

Thanks.

I just finished my 2nd race and saw a few times that the AI cars would make mistakes on turns.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2005, 12:34:47 AM »

The driving line is a great addition too.  It'll really help get familiar with how to drive the laps and with the cars.  Very cool.

AI looks good so far.  And I can't hit the walls to sling my car around like with GT3/4 (because of damage mode)!  I actually have to learn to drive now.

---
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2005, 01:01:00 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Quote from: "gellar"

gellar

I just took my '99 Subaru 2.5 RS, swapped in a WRX STi engine, then took it into a Lancer vs. Impreza hill climb on a Japanese mountain road.  Come on now, you want this game.

Meh... stuff like that doesn't matter to me.  I modify my car cause it's... my car.  In games, all I want to do is drive.

The ideal racing game would be one where they took one single car, get the physics on it absolutely PERFECT, let me change realistic configuration options (really just suspension settings), and let me drive on real world tracks.  The closest there is to this is GTR right now.  Of course, I'm also a very small portion of the market, so I definitely understand the appeal of a Forza smile

gellar
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2005, 01:14:50 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Maybe someone can answer if the AI drivers follow in single file down that scripted raceline,

Read the Gamespot review.  The AI drivers are fairly unpredictable, and can make bad moves, or brilliant ones, but they aren't the blah GT3/4 drivers.  The AI seems to be very solid.

The car models are good, not great.  They may be great when you add a lot of the customization stuff on them.  It may be why they don't start out as sharp as GT4s.

Forza's scenary blows away GT4 though, no comparison.  The XBox is just more powerful, and it shows.  GT4 pushes the PS2 hard, but it shows the age of the PS2.

I read the Gamespot review, but I do value opinions from the gamers here more.

The fact that the AI is not along the GT series answers alot for me.

Thanks for the quick response.
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2005, 01:15:49 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
Quote from: "tripwire"

Thanks.

I just finished my 2nd race and saw a few times that the AI cars would make mistakes on turns.

Exactly what I like to hear.

Thanks for the response.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2005, 01:29:39 AM »

I read the Gamespot review, but I do value opinions from the gamers here more.

I agree on that.  The AI seems solid, but it is still early in the game for me, I'm going on reviews and some glimpses of what I've seen.  The AI seems all over the track in the starting races.  There isn't a line that I can see, like in GT3.  Cars will bump me back as well.

---
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2005, 02:29:42 AM »

After my first couple hours into the game I figured I would share my own impressions.

I'm enjoying the game.  Picked Asia as my home territory because, despite being from the USA, I've never owned a domestic car.  Picked out a 1998 Mistubishi FTO and started racing.  Left the difficulty on normal, turned off the driving line, left the other assists on.

Didn't do too well at first, but managed to earn enough for my first upgrade.  I switched out my muffler (I think), going for the most HP/$ I could get.  After that I was much more competitive and put together more good runs to earn more $/parts.  My FTO is way better than anything else I'm up against.  The only thing that keeps the races close is my lack of skill.

When you level up you either get parts discounts in the shop or you might forge a relationship with a foreign manufacturer.

I've finished the level 0 point-to-point races and the 1st Asia open.  I have around $10k and three cars in my garage (one bought, two won).

In my opinion the basic mechanic is the same as the GT series.  Start with a basic ride, eek out a living, upgrade/win new cars, do it again at a higher class.  If that's your thing then you will love it.  For those looking for something a little more forgiving (like PGR2) then you might want to give it a rental.

The key to the game for me right now is that the developer has put in a good points system that gives the game that "one more race" quality.  You always seem to be right on the verge of that next upgrade or the next level.  It's addictive.

As for the AI, I do see them make mistakes.  I've raced the same track against the same vehicles several times and I find myself in a different situation each time.  Might be the silver Honda on my tail, might be the black Mazda.  They don't always corner the same and they WILL crash into each other.  They won't dive out of your way and don't hesitate to give you a little bump in the rear.  I'm no expert, but it seems to do a good job of mixing up the outcomes of the races.

The menus are a bit dull, but they are functional.  The decals/painting is a bit rudimentary, the interface a bit clunky, but it works.

The music...from what I have heard thus far sucks.  It sounds like one really long rock instrumental.  I couldn't take it any more so I went back to my PGR2 driving music.  I might go back and see if there is anything more to it, but for now I am dissapointed.

The rest of the sounds are pretty good.  Just what I would expect.  I love the high-pitched whistle of my turbo charged engine!  Other than that, you can hear the other cars get louder as they close in on you.

The damage model is cool.  I have damage on, and when you go hard into a wall you will know about it because your alignment is out of whack.  Good luck winning a race with the car drifting left!  Better watch that damage, because the repair cost comes out of your winnings.  Thankfully your winnings will never go negative.

One thing I am learning is that there is more to the PGR2 method of drive fast, bounce off the scenery.  The road courses take a good bit of patience and a good look at the map to see those hairpin turns.   Let off the gas and ease on through, because if you go hard into a wall you will be in a world of hurt.  Quick tip for those using automatic transmission: X will put your car into reverse without stopping.  Much faster than holding the break until you stop and then shifting.

Yeah, I know I rambled on and on.  Hopefully it is readable, if not a bit unorganized.  Just giving my opinion as a non-hardcore sim racer.  Loved PGR2, and as much fun as I am having thus far, I just don't think Forza will have the same staying power with me.  For the moment it feels just like Sony's GT series with a better in-game engine.  Not necessarily a bad thing, since GT has long been the pinnacle of console sim racing, but it's just not the earth-shattering racer I had hoped for.  Only a few races in so we'll see where it goes from here.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2005, 02:54:11 AM »

I like it!

The AI is unpredictable and the points system is well thought out.

I'll never play enough to get good at it but it's one of those racing games that I'll always go back to (Like PGR2 and TOCA2).

Damage and driver AI put it over GT4 for me.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2005, 12:53:39 PM »

I made it up to level 7 with an hour of play last night.  The first races are all very easy.  It seems when you hit the races that require level 5 that the difficulty jumps up a little.  So far cars are almost thrown at you, which I hope slows down, as I don't want to afford more expensive stuff to quickly.

One thing I noticed is that it may be to easy to jump classes with your cars.  My "B4" Boxter went to to "B1" with just a tire change.  That probably means with another small upgrade it'll go to the next class, which may suck.  Changes will have to be monitered a lot closer then in GT.

The AI definitely is more variable then GT, and will react to you on the course which is pretty cool, either driving around you, or bumping back.  Watching the cars, they all take slightly different lines around the track for the most part, like there are individual drivers in the cars.

The car models are good, not great.  I wasn't blown away with them, but they are more then functional.  The race courses look incredible though, more detailed then GT3/4's, and none of the aliasing problems that game has.

I thought the game may be to easy, but then I looked at had only 4% unlocked or something after playing for a bit, so it definitely has legs.

Challenge wise I think this game could be harder then GT.  You can't hit walls to slingshot yourself around like in GT3/4, so you actually have to learn to drive the courses, and drive legit.  The driving line helps, but it is mostly obvious what you have to do.  The damage model really makes you have to be careful.  The Tokyo course that was so easy in the GT games is very hard now.  All those sharp turns and walls that let you pinball through the course in the Sony game are very dangerous to your car in Forza.  Definitely a challenge.  I can see how people used to GT will find Forza very tough because of the damage model, and potentially even review it the worse for it.

The music by and large sucks.  I'm not even sure if it plays in race or not, didn't notice it.  But in the menus where you do notice it, you can change it if you have other stuff on the XBox, so not really a problem.

I guess so far, Forza looks like a much better GT4, but with fewer cars.  I like the various racing modes, including the point to point races, and there seems to be enough variety in the cars to keep it fun going forward, especially with the challenge.   Forza is definitely one of the better racers to come along.

---
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2005, 02:30:24 PM »

When I tried the game online last night I only saw the decals for my own car.  I'm not sure if the other racers just hadn't bothered to pimp their rides, but I was surprised not to see any visual customizations.

While my souped up Focus took first against two guys who were dogging it before the race began, I wondered if they couldn't see the funky paint.

Any of you guys who played online see any unique paint jobs (besides you own)?  If decals aren't viewable online, I can't see the point of adding the feature -- it'd be a big disappointment.

Otherwise, the game really reminds me of TOCA 2, especially in online play -- you get a lot of older folks who will go nuts when a less experienced driver  messes up their racing line.

(Side note:  I noticed that Unreal Chapionship 2 doesn't feature a ranking system -- it's all just your traditional DM stats.  I'm beginning to wonder if leaderboards aren't the real reason Xbox Live has so many annoyances.)
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2005, 02:44:58 PM »

I have 13 cars now (all awarded, I haven't purchased a car other than the first one yet) and no visual changes to any of them. I opened up the decal menus and it's way too rudimentary for me... can't be bothered. My wireless connection was flaking out last night so I didn't bother going online to what everyone else was up to.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2005, 02:59:45 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
I opened up the decal menus and it's way too rudimentary for me... can't be bothered.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2005, 03:09:05 PM »

very, very powerful... yet very rudimentary... it's kinda like C++ without any libraries... you can do anything you can imagine with it, but it's not easy.

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2005, 03:30:11 PM »

That is awesome.  I never thought imitate a real car, but I think I might, seeing that.  smile

The customization is half the fun, in my mind.  Otherwise, it's just like rebuying TOCA 2 and PGR.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2005, 05:28:46 PM »

I had a grand ol' time with this game last night. Loved the online component. Loved the fact that your Friends list is integrated into the leaderboards at the map choice screens. Love the fact that I thought I was getting ok, then got my ass handed to me a few races in.

RE the decals: didn't notice any decals on my online mates' cars, but wasn't looking either.

Can't wait to get home to play some more.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2005, 05:36:31 PM »

Do GT4 and other racing sims let you tune your car on the fly on the test track?  (Actual question, I have no idea if other games have this feature.)

After adding a turbo to my little MR2, I found that the extra power was giving me a ton over oversteer.  After going to tune it, I took it for a test drive at Laguna Seca and noticed that I could pause the game and alter all the tuning settings right then and there, and have them immediately implemented when I unpause.  I did several laps like this, fiddling with the front/rear swaybars until the balance felt just perfect.  I'm used to having to exit the track, go to the tuning menu, and wait for the load screens every time I want to tweak something a little, so this seemed pretty cool to me.

Game Gripes:
I wish the autocalculated stats (0-60, top speed, braking time) included a 1/4 mile time.  
The soundtrack really is blah, not bad, but not particularly interesting.  Just generic.  I should import the Grand Theft Auto soundtrack as a custom soundtrack.
The game handles very very well with the controller, but hh if only the Logitech steering wheel worked with this game.  Here's hoping Forza 2 on Xbox 360 supports USB.

Next goal: Tune a Silvia S15 perfectly for drifting.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2005, 07:41:13 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
noticed that I could pause the game and alter all the tuning settings right then and there, and have them immediately implemented when I unpause.

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

I know what I'll be doing tonight.

My opinion: No real complaints, other than the music is hte total suck!!one!

LiveTAG: happydog
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2005, 11:11:17 PM »

Yeah, the music definitely sucks.  I'll have to throw some music on this Xbox soon.

The controls are very nice, which is what I was expecting.  I'd prefer using my GT4 wheel, but it's not nearly the necessity it is with GT4.

I can't tell you how much I love the racing line assist.  Most sim racers just assume that you'll know where the line is, and what the proper braking point is.  In Forza, you can have it show you the line, and it will tell you if you need to brake.  If the line's red, you're going to fast, if it's green, you're fine.  It's not perfect (on sharp corners, if you're at top speed until it tells you to brake, you'll hit the wall every time), but it's a lot better for learning the tracks than in GT4.

I can already see the aggressive AI mentioned in some reviews.  On the second race of the second set available at the start, I was having a good run, just holding on to second by the skin of my teeth.  The finish line wasn't more than 1/4 mile off.  Suddenly, the guy behind me taps my rear end, causing me to spin out.  Just like that, I was back to 7th place.  I wasn't happy.  Bear in mind, I have the damage model set to full sim, and the difficulty set to medium.  In longer races, that could be incredibly frustrating.

Overall, I'm liking it.  I think the customization could be really neat, given enough time, though I wish there was more leeway with paint jobs (at some point, I might want to fade from one color to another), and I wish you could flip a vinyl to get a mirror image, but it will eventually be neat to check out everyone's paint jobs on Live.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2005, 11:53:07 PM »

Any word on if they will have new cars downloadable over live?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2005, 11:57:50 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
Overall, I'm liking it.  I think the customization could be really neat, given enough time, though I wish there was more leeway with paint jobs (at some point, I might want to fade from one color to another), and I wish you could flip a vinyl to get a mirror image, but it will eventually be neat to check out everyone's paint jobs on Live.

One of the decals, I think its on the first page, can be used to fade two colors into each other.  So if you wanted a car that was red at the front and faded to black at the rear, just make a black car and overlay that decal in red on your car (enlarge it to take up the entire car surface for top/left/right).  

You can flip the vinyls!  Go to the resize tab, and shrink it down on the axis you want to flip it.  Right after it shrinks to a thin line, it will then open up into a reverse image.

This game keeps surprising me with new features that I didn't know existed:
Exploring the non-career mode racing options, turns out there are a bunch of autocross tracks you can race.  I wish they were loops instead of quick one way races, but it's still fun to test out my custom car winding through the cones in an airport parking lot.

I said earlier I wished you could calculate your cars' 1/4 mile times, well one of the non-career point to point races is a 1/4 mile dragstrip!

If nothing else, this game makes a great first impression.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2005, 12:01:42 AM »

Chaz...

There is a color fade decal that allows you to fade the body color to anything you want.  I've used it on a car and it looks pretty sweet.

Edit: Whoops.  Repeat info.  Never mind.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2005, 01:51:20 AM »

OK - Someone go get a Black STi, paint it up with the NJ Devils logo on the hood and sell it to me!!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2005, 02:22:51 AM »

Dammit...Blockbuster still didn't have it today, maybe tomorrow.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2005, 05:02:23 AM »

Apparently you can watch replays of the top guys on the board.  Very cool.  Just look at the boards and hit replay smile.

---
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: