http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 11:56:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza Motorsport (Demo) Impressions  (Read 1672 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2004, 02:25:53 PM »

Hey, good lookin'
Damage, high poly count, wheel detail on spins and brakes, gravel flying, damage. More Damage, being able to see the red engine block of the viper because you were driving backwards on Laguna Seca and hit that jump and got 13ft of air.... you know... flipping the car (tough to do). Amazing stuff. Mirrors coming off, exhaust pipes on the ground. All of it looked AMAZING. PGR2 meets burnout3.

drool Mmm, Donuts...  :wink:
My acid-test for the physics is doing a 360 / 720 on a straightaway with a fast car (preferrably a Porsche.. imagine my luck that it was included). It's possible to do it in an automatic, but it comes out sloppy. With the standard (and I turn off all the "control" features such as ABS, TCS, etc) it's a breeze... from ~100MPH I was able to nail a 720 and was still doing 30MPH coming out of it... problem is Laguna Seca only has one good paved straightaway, and it's got a dip in it.

But *I* wanna hold the controls...
The level of modification is amazing; unfortunately they only give you a taste of it on the lower-end cars. They let you chose if you want to mod or not, then auto-select the upgrades (showing you a few before settling on one). They also don't show the meter/values while selecting a mod part  at the top of the screen. Apparently you'll be able to see the impact of the mod on your car in the final game, before purchasing the modification.

What? You don't want the Porsche because it's the wrong color?? A.K.A. Whiny Little Complaints
1) There is no dust buildup, and I spent a long time in the gravel. Rallisport spoiled me. That being said, it's a small sacrifice, but it would help add more depth the damage model. ( dirty+broken > broken )
2) There are people there, but they don't do anything. A good number of them look too disinterested (backs turned, etc). The fact that the people don't look two dimensional, and that there *are* people (PGR2 :roll: ), is a big plus.
3) the models for the tires on the wall are hex'd. they still have deliniation as to individual tires, but (especially when the camera swings outside the track) you can see the the six corners on each. Once again, I think it's a small sacrifice, and even a high-end PC would choke having 400+ rendered tires with full curved surfaces on top of having a racing game running behind it. It just breaks the facade a little, but it took me a while to notice it.

Oh baby...
I can't wait for this one. slywink I can't believe how well done this game (cars and tracks) is. Besides some minor quibles (and it *is* a demo) it looks fantastic. The handling is superb; this makes me want to buy a steering wheel and pedals when the game comes out.

[Edit: fixed emote in #2][/size]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 02:38:54 PM »

*drooools*

Where did you get the demo? I'm dying for this game.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 02:41:05 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
*drooools*

Where did you get the demo? I'm dying for this game.

OXM demo CD (newest one, should be on shelves and mailboxes within a week if not already).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 02:46:15 PM »

Thanks for the impressions!  I played an early build at E3 and was impressed with it, I can't wait to check out the demo smile

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 03:10:04 PM »

Not sure I liked how the WRX handled. Maybe I have to get used to it.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 04:10:16 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Not sure I liked how the WRX handled. Maybe I have to get used to it.

The braking railroads you forwards if you hammer on it (and have all the "control" features on). Try downshifting instead of locking up the rubber. slywink I do agree though, the WRX wasn't my favorite ride. (it never was though).

either way. Retail verdict : IN!!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 01:40:47 PM »

If I like the demo, count me in as well.

Multiplayer on Live! assumed of course.  Otherwise, a rental for me, no matter how great it is.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 03:01:26 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"

Multiplayer on Live! assumed of course.  Otherwise, a rental for me, no matter how great it is.

From the MS Forza page:

Take online racing to the next level: From intense multiplayer wheel-to-wheel racing to challenging individual bests and beyond, Forza Motorsport’s Xbox Live gameplay will deliver innovations that reinvent the online racing experience.

biggrin thumbsup I am soooooo IN.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 03:04:06 PM »

The braking railroads you forwards if you hammer on it (and have all the "control" features on). Try downshifting instead of locking up the rubber.  I do agree though, the WRX wasn't my favorite ride. (it never was though).

That's it! Once I touched the brakes I lost all control of the car. Driving a WRX to work and home every day, I figured it might be a good place for me to start. :wink:

Time to take off all the control settings and try again.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 08:08:12 PM »

The braking railroads you forwards if you hammer on it (and have all the "control" features on). Try downshifting instead of locking up the rubber.  I do agree though, the WRX wasn't my favorite ride. (it never was though).

That's it! Once I touched the brakes I lost all control of the car. Driving a WRX to work and home every day, I figured it might be a good place for me to start. :wink:

Time to take off all the control settings and try again.

You must make a lot of coin, or live in your parent's basement. Sheesh. Or, you don't have a house and family with a wife that doesn't pull income.

IRL I drive a Grand Am GT (2001) ... can't wait to bash the ^%$# outta one in Forza (assuming my car makes the final cut).

My PoS is on lease (employee discount; it was the most savings and I had a restrictive timeline ... I had just came from an accord and damn do I miss my honda). Thankfully it's gone in June. <sigh> I can hardly wait.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 08:22:25 PM »

You must make a lot of coin, or live in your parent's basement. Sheesh. Or, you don't have a house and family with a wife that doesn't pull income.

Have a house and a wife who works so I'm lucky for now! Layoffs are coming here and a baby due soon. That will change things a bit! Good thing my copy of Forza is paid for!  :wink:

Go back to the Honda!!  biggrin

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 08:49:17 PM »

Have a house and a wife who works so I'm lucky for now! Layoffs are coming here and a baby due soon. That will change things a bit! Good thing my copy of Forza is paid for!  :wink:

Go back to the Honda!!  biggrin

Good luck with that. My wife used to work. Then after the Mat. leave she works 2 days a week (at less than half my salary). <sigh> I'm in the front of the canoe paddling like a madman while she's lounging in the back with the cutest little monster I've ever seen. I'd type more, but I gotta get back to paddling.  :wink:

As to the next car, I'm thinkin' of a McLaren F1 GTR or the Königsegg CC. Seen any cheap used ones in the paper?

Back on topic : Forza. I see myself comparing test-drives in-car to the cars in-game when I'm back on the market looking for another car/truck. I wonder if the dealership will let me test the "damage model" ...  biggrin

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 09:00:32 PM »

I could be in the same boat!! I'll help you paddle!

I think the closest we get to any of those cars might be Forza, but I'll keep checking the papers!  :wink:

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 09:01:34 PM »

Oh, and can we get a good friggin wheel for the XBox!?!?!?

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 09:20:18 PM »

Oh, and can we get a good friggin wheel for the XBox!?!?!?

Bah! who needs it? I really like the xbox s-controller for driving. analog triggers, analog sticks. works for me, and without having to lug out 50 lbs of hardware (and those damn wires) and trying to find a place to put it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 11:42:23 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Bah! who needs it? I really like the xbox s-controller for driving. analog triggers, analog sticks. works for me, and without having to lug out 50 lbs of hardware (and those damn wires) and trying to find a place to put it.

For a second there, I coulda sworn you said "(and those damn tires)". I almost fell outta my chair laughing. I need a nap.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 12:10:11 AM »

No doubt the XBox controller is the best for racing games but a wheel adds so much.
That GT4 Logitech wheel is GREAT! Too bad we may never see GT4!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: