http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 07:21:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza 4  (Read 29845 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 22, 2011, 08:43:54 PM

Quote from: Purge on September 22, 2011, 08:03:59 PM

Whatever happened to the Kinect wheel controller?

didn't think there ever was one.  There is a wireless steering wheel, but it's not a kinect wheel in any way.

http://www.target.com/p/XBOX-360-Wireless-Speed-Wheel-Black-XBOX-360/-/A-13721063#?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|13721063&CPNG=video%20games&ci_sku=13721063&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

I  just picked up F1 2011 so I might get the "U wheel" when it comes out and be the guinea pig on how it works. I suspect I won't do any better than the standard controller, but I'm starting to have issues with my left thumb pressing down on the left stick all the time for steering causing some numbness. The wheel/pedals alternative didn't work for me, so I'm game to try something else.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2011, 09:57:51 PM »

I've been looking at some of the Forza 4 content and see that there is this "Autovista mode" for exploring with the Kinect. Will there be some kind of work around for those of us without the Kinect?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 22, 2011, 09:57:51 PM

I've been looking at some of the Forza 4 content and see that there is this "Autovista mode" for exploring with the Kinect. Will there be some kind of work around for those of us without the Kinect?

edmunds.com
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2011, 11:02:22 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 22, 2011, 10:46:57 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 22, 2011, 09:57:51 PM

edmunds.com

thumbsup
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2011, 07:47:38 AM »

It will not improve my Forza abilities and it costs a s-ton of money but I'm going to buy a Fanatec CSR elite wheel and pedals for myself.  I am going to convince myself that it will be a Christmas/birthday/whatever, I have the money/etc. purchase.  My MS wheel seems to be broken and I'm not enamored with the current set of reasonably priced force feed back wheels so I will pony up for the Fanatec. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2011, 11:42:24 AM »

Kudos to you Otter, I tell ya, I would kill for one of those and will have one as soon as I can possibly afford it. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2011, 01:37:43 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 23, 2011, 11:42:24 AM

Kudos to you Otter, I tell ya, I would kill for one of those and will have one as soon as I can

I'm pretty sure threats are against the code of conduct.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2011, 01:51:25 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 23, 2011, 01:37:43 PM

Kudos to you Otter, I tell ya, I would kill for one of those and will have one as soon as I can

So are you but we still keep you around. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 23, 2011, 01:37:43 PM

If nothing else I'm expecting to be punted into the railing the first chance Hark gets in Forza.  Not sure if the new wheel will be available in time for the Forza release but should make it soon after. 

I have not been following the development of the game that much so I was excited when I saw the Top Gear test track was going to be in the game, we need a Top Gear "Put a Gaming Trend poster in a reasonably priced car" results board.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »

I'm getting the wireless "U" wheel just because I'm so damn lazy to set up my MS wheel.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »

I'm thinking the same thing, minus me not having a racing wheel at all. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 23, 2011, 05:17:46 PM

I'm getting the wireless "U" wheel just because I'm so damn lazy to set up my MS wheel.

Fair warning... I did some looking through the few hands-on reviews from E3 and found out that the "U" wheel, aka the Wireless Speed Wheel, doesn't support the left/right shoulder buttons. Of course it also doesn't support the left and right stick clicks and the right stick, which I already understood, but it's a bit irritating that they decided that the shoulder buttons weren't essential.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »

Also fair warning: it looks really goofy.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 23, 2011, 05:49:22 PM

I've played Dance Central in front of my family, I am prepared to look stupid at all times

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 23, 2011, 05:49:22 PM

I watched an E3 report by some Australian journalist hands-on with Forza 4 and the U wheel. He seemed to be pretty good with racing games and familiar with the Forza family. He noted the lack of the shoulder buttons and he said while he could use the D pad for shifting he thought it awkward and so just used the automatic shifting instead. As he was racing he said that he was pleasantly surprised at how well the U wheel worked; you don't have to hold it upright, it can be used tilted down towards the horizontal as well. Watching him he seemed to be pretty comfortable with the U very quickly and there seemed to be little or no lag between turn the U and the in-game steering wheel reacting.

I am assuming, but will ask at the store, that the U uses the same battery pack as the standard 360 controller.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:15:47 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »

Double-A's, apparently. frown

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 23, 2011, 06:14:51 PM

Double-A's, apparently. frown

I use a Nyko Charge Station for my standard 360 controller. It came with two rechargable batteries that seem to have kept their capacities pretty well. While it has two charge slots I normally only use one at a time and leave the other battery pack in the controller.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 23, 2011, 05:17:46 PM

If I get Forza, I will do this as well.  I just am not sure Forza's going to get a ton of playing time with Battlefield and NHL 12 right now...
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2011, 09:19:56 PM »

Am playing with the new demo. Just something to wet the appetite, one track and five cars. Compared to Forza 3 there aren't that many obvious changes, but I'm sure I'll stumble across the more subtle ones. One obvious change is in the assists. There are the usual TCS, Stability and ABS, but there is now also Steering, which can be set to Normal or Simulation. Supposedly the former "gives you full control, but dampens some physical effects to make driving easier". I've been running with Steering in both modes and I can't tell the difference, but this one track (the new Bernese Alps track) might not be a good one on which to see the effects. The game displays that the air temp is 24 degrees F, which if they truly do have some input from Pirelli might mean that the tires really do have less grip.

UPDATE: I did play around with the Steering settings and I can see the difference when blasting the Ferrari 458 through some high speed esses on the track, the Simulation setting is like balancing on a razor's edge, the Normal setting is like balancing on a butter knife's edge  icon_biggrin

And there is this horrible music that plays the entire time you are racing AND YOU CAN'T TURN IT OFF. Sheesh. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:33:59 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »

How about the fact that in one of the races, you're actually driving with regular vehicle traffic.  O_o
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 03, 2011, 11:14:10 PM

How about the fact that in one of the races, you're actually driving with regular vehicle traffic.  O_o

At least they are going in the same direction I am icon_biggrin. Or at least if I don't drive the wrong way.

My next goal is to collide with one of them at the right angle so I can jump the guard rail. Wheeeee!!!!!

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2011, 11:32:29 PM »

copied this off of a youtube video comment

There is a trick that allow you to turn off the in-game music. Just play a custom soundtrack in the X3360 and hit pause. So you can appreciate the sound even more. The Zonda sound is jaw dropping.

I got my MS wheel working but still going to go with a Fanatec CSR elite when it is available in Nov./Dec.  just for Forza 4.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2011, 11:36:44 PM »

Just remember, I would kill for the Fanatec slywink  BTW they now have the full Forza branded Fanatec wheel system.  Wheel, shifter, pedals, wow.  Close to $500 though without the stand or a cockpit.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on October 03, 2011, 11:32:29 PM

copied this off of a youtube video comment

There is a trick that allow you to turn off the in-game music. Just play a custom soundtrack in the X3360 and hit pause. So you can appreciate the sound even more. The Zonda sound is jaw dropping.

Thank you very much!

That Zonda is scary fast. On the other hand the 1971 Mercury Cougar is a hoot to drive. I'm glad they are including so many old muscle cars. I wish they would include some older racers like the Can-Am cars from the late sixties and early seventies, but I'll take what I can get.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2011, 12:50:18 AM »

does the demo do Kinect?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2011, 12:53:07 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 03, 2011, 11:36:44 PM

Just remember, I would kill for the Fanatec slywink  BTW they now have the full Forza branded Fanatec wheel system.  Wheel, shifter, pedals, wow.  Close to $500 though without the stand or a cockpit.

What would you do if I told you I'm actually waiting for the CSR elite wheel which is even more expensive than the Fanatec CSR wheel that is about to ship and yes I do have the CSR pedals and the shifter on order as well?  I've never tried one of these 900 deg of rotation wheels so I'm anxious to see how it plays in the game, I hear the load cell on the brake pedal is also a huge improvement.  Load up the van, put on the adult diapers and try to track me down Hark!
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2011, 12:55:57 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 04, 2011, 12:50:18 AM

does the demo do Kinect?

The Autovista option wasn't available to me, but then I don't have a Kinect so that might be why.

And from Jalopnik: Jeremy Clarkson’s epic Forza Motorsport 4 live-action trailer

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2011, 02:42:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 04, 2011, 12:50:18 AM

does the demo do Kinect?

Not that I can see, you have no real options for game settings that I have found yet.  Rival mode looks cool, I got to race against Jz's ghost and it was fun but I had way too many assists on, it would be nice if you could see what assists your rival had on before the start.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2011, 02:47:37 AM »

Braking line only  smile  That's the way to do it! 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2011, 02:52:22 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 04, 2011, 02:47:37 AM

I wish they had a setting to just have a general brake distance warning instead of the one that shows the recommended line as well.  I like the brake line because it fills in for depth perception and other physical cues, but since it shows the racing line it still influences me too much on how I should take a turn.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2011, 02:58:48 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 04, 2011, 02:52:22 AM

I wish they had a setting to just have a general brake distance warning instead of the one that shows the recommended line as well.  I like the brake line because it fills in for depth perception and other physical cues, but since it shows the racing line it still influences me too much on how I should take a turn.

that's very true.  I'd almost prefer just a general and light shading of the entire track at the point.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2011, 03:01:15 AM »

All but the Zonda  eek. I've been running with all the assists off with the other cars and I have to say that I think the handling is a bit better than with Forza 3. The real test will be with the Holden. In FM3 I simply couldn't handle it properly without assists, I'll see how well I do with it next week.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2011, 03:05:02 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on October 04, 2011, 02:42:35 AM

Not that I can see, you have no real options for game settings that I have found yet.  Rival mode looks cool, I got to race against Jz's ghost and it was fun but I had way too many assists on, it would be nice if you could see what assists your rival had on before the start.

IIRC when you select "change rival" the display showing all the rivals also shows what assists they had on during their run.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »

finally a game where I beat Hark smile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »

Quote from: naednek on October 04, 2011, 04:18:32 PM

two things:

turn off your assists noob, then you can talk  ninja
full game will tell  icon_twisted
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »

There ya go, took me five minutes, but I fixed it.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »

get out of this thread and post your comments on Dark Souls!! paranoid

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 04, 2011, 06:40:02 PM

two things:

you also had assists on as well newb Tongue

If anything the challenge mode should force you to play the same settings
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »

Quote from: naednek on October 04, 2011, 09:40:28 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on October 04, 2011, 06:40:02 PM

two things:

you also had assists on as well newb Tongue

If anything the challenge mode should force you to play the same settings

you're smoking some crack there Ken, I had no assists on except the braking line.  look again.  ABS off, Stabilization off, Manual trans w/ clutch, simulation steering, professional oppoenents, etc.  Everything was at max with no assists.  I also ran a clean lap, only one of the list to do it so far slywink
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »

What does the paperclip column on the rivals list mean?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: