http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 09:03:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza 4  (Read 32395 times)
Reemul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: October 18, 2011, 05:59:04 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 18, 2011, 04:35:18 AM

Hmm... they don't seem to be adjusting, but I guess that's not too surprising.

Request sent though.

It defintely gets harder, on semi pro I had a few 3 or 4th finishes as well as some seconds if I chose the wrong car. Now up to pro but not played that level yet. First few levels are prettye asy though.

Rivals is where it is at though for the real challenge, Hark and Sander are very quick add to th at the need to do a clean lap as well makes it much harder but certainly more fun.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 18, 2011, 06:07:54 AM »

This game and I have a fundamental disagreement about how much curbing is 'OK'.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 18, 2011, 06:44:41 AM »

Couple of other thoughts:

1) My god is the music terrible.  After about 3 events I just turned it off.
2) Anyone else wishing for more 'slower' Rivals stuff?  I can turn decent times with the faster cars, but with the controller its more of a point-it-in-a-direction-hold-on-and-pray-I-don't-have-an-off type of driving.  Not exactly fun.  The most fun event thus far is the Top Gear one with the Cee Apostrophe Dee.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 18, 2011, 08:54:12 AM »

I turned off the music before I played a single race (other than the stupid intro race they make you do with music blaring and all assists on. blah)

I also prefer the slower cars, probably B and below overall.  We tend to race a lot of C, D , E and F when we play MP.

I dont' really play much with the AI at all and am mostly skipping World Tour due to the overly aggressive AI driving.  I wish they would make the AI more cautious if for no other reason than to prepare players for driving without ramming.   As it is people cut their teeth against the AI and learn to bump to pass or it won't happen.  Then they get in an online game an refuse to ever hold a line other than the 'recommended' line even if it means an inevitable collision. frown

I also have a grudge versus people using assists, but that's another story slywink
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 18, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »

How do you record a rivals lap?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 18, 2011, 03:48:11 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 18, 2011, 08:54:12 AM

I also have a grudge versus people using assists, but that's another story slywink

I can run the lower classes without assists, but I have to use the Medicare settings about that.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: October 18, 2011, 03:55:38 PM »

Got sixth in a race in a B class. Apparently my 90 Prelude isn't good enough for the handling and horsepower of the Fords in the same class. frown

Also, it was my first race with a 360 FF wheel and pedals... on-lap wheel mode is less than optimal. I see building a wooden frame in my future. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 18, 2011, 04:24:01 PM »

I also prefer the slower cars, probably B and below overall.  We tend to race a lot of C, D , E and F when we play MP.

I dont' really play much with the AI at all and am mostly skipping World Tour due to the overly aggressive AI driving.  I wish they would make the AI more cautious if for no other reason than to prepare players for driving without ramming.   As it is people cut their teeth against the AI and learn to bump to pass or it won't happen.  Then they get in an online game an refuse to ever hold a line other than the 'recommended' line even if it means an inevitable collision. frown

Yeah B seems to be the right balance between 'fun' and 'fast'.  A and above are where my 'HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE' driving style comes in.

As far as assists go, best as I can tell they actually seem to make you go slower.  I know the AT (which I use most of the time) for the lower classes probably costs me at least a second or two per lap (at least that was the case with the Cee Apostrophe Dee).
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 18, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on October 18, 2011, 12:18:56 PM

How do you record a rivals lap?

There's a whole section dedicated to Rivals.  It's outside of World Tour mode.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: October 18, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 18, 2011, 04:24:01 PM

Yeah B seems to be the right balance between 'fun' and 'fast'.  A and above are where my 'HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE' driving style comes in.

As far as assists go, best as I can tell they actually seem to make you go slower.  I know the AT (which I use most of the time) for the lower classes probably costs me at least a second or two per lap (at least that was the case with the Cee Apostrophe Dee).

I've spent quite a lot of time on the rivals using assists and no assists etc and for me personally assists defintely give a better time, especially on the higher speed cars, in fact the very fast stuff is un-manageable without pedals or a wheel.

I use Braking line, abs, simulation driving, tcs on and stability on depemding on car level.

Hoever my 4 year old has everything on and if i forget to change it back i get real slow times.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 18, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »

Compared to FM3, I think the driving model for the higher classes is better. "S" class is still scary, but manageable with assists (and not needing "assisted"). And surprisingly I'm finding the R classes easier to drive and I think in part this seems to be because of the spoiler and wings being better represented in the game. Anyway, my current goal is to complete the World Tour, switching manufacturers so that I get an Affinity of at least four with each one so I can play with all the upgrades.

Anyone buy a car with tokens yet? Are you allowed to sell it in the Auction House? I worked out in my mind that getting the two most expensive Ferraris for six tokens (three apiece), then selling them at a cut rate of 1.5M credits off the price of each would net a total of 15M credits. That would buy maybe 150 cars, if you stuck to the lower price ones. Interesting. That's why I figured they might not let you sell them in the auction house.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 18, 2011, 05:20:34 PM »

I don't remember the classes, but specifically the NASCAR Monte Carlo and the Lexus LFA for me were really tough to keep on the road and going fast in the general direction I want to go.  I can't imagine actually trying to race one of those with actual cars that I don't want to plow into.

Are you using the controller or a wheel?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2011, 05:52:29 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 18, 2011, 05:20:34 PM

I don't remember the classes, but specifically the NASCAR Monte Carlo and the Lexus LFA for me were really tough to keep on the road and going fast in the general direction I want to go.  I can't imagine actually trying to race one of those with actual cars that I don't want to plow into.

Are you using the controller or a wheel?

Controller. I've actually gotten pretty good with it. I'm never going to be a record setter, but I'm doing OK, or I should say that I'm doing well enough that I'm enjoying the game, more than FM3. In FM3 I never could deal with the R classes and so never filled in the whole Event Matrix. I think I might be able to do so now.

One other nice change. In FM3, IIRC, there were three AI levels in the Event List events, the middle was too slow and the highest was too fast for me. In FM4 there are four levels and I seem to be competitive with level 3. It's tough enough to be a challenge but not so tough as to be unbeatable. It's very rewarding to win against the AI at that level.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: October 18, 2011, 06:03:01 PM »

I agree, there have been a couple of high speed cars that handled suprisingly well Peugeout 908 springs to mind, 1 the Radical is just awful, i think I was 30 sec's down on the full nurburgring to you on that course, spun out 3 times with all assists on as well.

Hark always impresses me, he always beats my times even when I do slightly better hes back and add to that all with no assists, he kicks ass while chewing bubble gum i reckon.

With Rivals I really hope they add to it over time with more events etc, i'd like some drag stuff too, only 1 atm and maybe some slower choice cars as well.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 18, 2011, 06:10:23 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 18, 2011, 03:55:38 PM

Also, it was my first race with a 360 FF wheel and pedals... on-lap wheel mode is less than optimal. I see building a wooden frame in my future. biggrin

In the mean time an ironing board makes a decent wheel mount and it is easy to adjust height wise.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 18, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »

I hope they add drift mode events for rivals

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: October 18, 2011, 06:24:20 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 18, 2011, 06:12:03 PM

There is, last choice under rivals, drift after autocross, only thing that doesn't have a rivals mode is Drag, there is just one under one of the other options.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 18, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »

You guys are misspelling dorifto.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 18, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »

I feel that I can handle anything in the game now. I just completed a one lap race at Fujimi Kaido in an R998 Peugeot. Holy mackerel that was tough icon_eek. With that mostly solid canopy it feels like I'm driving a coffin with a window.

Drifting? You get style points in that, don't you? Like in ice skating? <ducksicon_lol

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 18, 2011, 08:06:38 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 18, 2011, 07:24:02 PM

You guys are misspelling dorifto.

Hooray!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: October 18, 2011, 08:19:32 PM »

Is Fujimi Kaido any different than in Forza 3? 
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 18, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 18, 2011, 08:19:32 PM

I don't think so. It seems incredibly tough going uphill, especially from an in-car view (and even worse from a very low height car). And then you start going downhill and think, hey, uphill wasn't this bad  nod

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 18, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »

gellar:

1.)  You cannot set the difficulty of the AI in World Tour, it is dynamic.  For someone of your skill level, it's going to be VERY easy until you get to a much higher driver level.
2.)  In-race music sucks, but I always turn off music while driving in any racing game.  The menu music for Forza 4 is awesome though, I leave that on.
3.)  I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS IN RIVALS MODE!!

Kato:  There's a whole section of Drifting races in Rivals, you're usually more observant than that man!

AI thoughts:  Personally I like the crazy and unpredictable AI.  The most boring type of AI in racing games is when they just follow a computerized line.  So I don't mind the fact that F4's AI can be aggressive sometimes or randomly overturn and run off the road, etc.

I love the Traffic events and Multi-Class events!
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 18, 2011, 09:17:44 PM »

Graphically it definitely looks better (just like all the tracks in Forza 4).

If you mean layout-wise, I'm not totally sure.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 18, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 18, 2011, 09:17:01 PM

gellar:

1.)  You cannot set the difficulty of the AI in World Tour, it is dynamic.  For someone of your skill level, it's going to be VERY easy until you get to a much higher driver level.
2.)  In-race music sucks, but I always turn off music while driving in any racing game.  The menu music for Forza 4 is awesome though, I leave that on.
3.)  I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS IN RIVALS MODE!!

1)  That doesn't sound like dynamic, that sounds like a linear progression.
2)  Yeah I just liked the old GT soundtrack of actually having real bands playing real music while driving.
3)  LOL.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 18, 2011, 09:36:54 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 18, 2011, 09:26:36 PM

1)  That doesn't sound like dynamic, that sounds like a linear progression.

True, "dynamic" may be the wrong word.  I meant that you cannot choose the AI setting in World Tour... so it's more like "automatically scales".

I've actually lost several races in World Tour (through about 20 driver levels), but I'm only an average racing gamer.  I know most hardcore racers say that World Tour is really easy until later.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 18, 2011, 11:01:56 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 18, 2011, 06:12:03 PM

they have had drift events for rivals since day one, where you been noob!  (j/k of course, I know the answer... noob)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 18, 2011, 11:02:51 PM »

AI skill isn't tied to your driver level, it's supposed to be tied to how soundly you are winning.  Win by a lot, it bumps them up, lose by a lot and it bumps them down.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 18, 2011, 11:05:28 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on October 18, 2011, 06:03:01 PM

I agree, there have been a couple of high speed cars that handled suprisingly well Peugeout 908 springs to mind, 1 the Radical is just awful, i think I was 30 sec's down on the full nurburgring to you on that course, spun out 3 times with all assists on as well.

Hark always impresses me, he always beats my times even when I do slightly better hes back and add to that all with no assists, he kicks ass while chewing bubble gum i reckon.

With Rivals I really hope they add to it over time with more events etc, i'd like some drag stuff too, only 1 atm and maybe some slower choice cars as well.

I like to spend most of my time in MP racing, so whenever I see you've beat me, I just play until I just barely nudge past you then quit smile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 18, 2011, 11:06:26 PM »

Yes it is different, in Forza 4 there is no Wonderpug on the track
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 18, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 18, 2011, 09:17:01 PM

AI thoughts:  Personally I like the crazy and unpredictable AI.  The most boring type of AI in racing games is when they just follow a computerized line.  So I don't mind the fact that F4's AI can be aggressive sometimes or randomly overturn and run off the road, etc.

I love the Traffic events and Multi-Class events!

and adding to my wall of posts:

The biggest problem with the AI is that they mostly DO follow a pre-programmed line, and if you are either on this line or soon will be, they dont' care.  I do like when they take risks or things like that, but being completely oblivious of your actions (and sometimes the actions of the other AI's) kills any sense of realism for me.  If you are coming up fast on the inside, they should hold a high line through the turn and you hold the low and both make it through the turn.  This never happens.  This won't even happen if you are already on their quarter panel, they will just turn in, and you both spin out.  It's stupid.  People online do the same thing, because they are stupid.  Instead of modelling AI that is barely passable for random MP noobs, they should do good AI that can teach random noobs how to respect a line.

I'm not surprised you like it though Kepow slywink  You love chaos, and noob tubes, and commando.  All the crazy over the top stuff I tend to be down on.   icon_cool
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 18, 2011, 11:12:33 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 18, 2011, 11:02:51 PM

AI skill isn't tied to your driver level, it's supposed to be tied to how soundly you are winning.  Win by a lot, it bumps them up, lose by a lot and it bumps them down.

Yeah I definitely haven't seen this.  I'm fairly consistently crushing the competition by around 10 seconds or so per race.  This is either broken or has an upper bound that I'm passing.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 18, 2011, 11:47:06 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 18, 2011, 11:10:15 PM

and adding to my wall of posts:

The biggest problem with the AI is that they mostly DO follow a pre-programmed line, and if you are either on this line or soon will be, they dont' care.  I do like when they take risks or things like that, but being completely oblivious of your actions (and sometimes the actions of the other AI's) kills any sense of realism for me.  If you are coming up fast on the inside, they should hold a high line through the turn and you hold the low and both make it through the turn.  This never happens.  This won't even happen if you are already on their quarter panel, they will just turn in, and you both spin out.  It's stupid.  People online do the same thing, because they are stupid.  Instead of modelling AI that is barely passable for random MP noobs, they should do good AI that can teach random noobs how to respect a line.

Yes, I do agree that the AI is mostly oblivious to what the human driver is doing.  Not ideal, but I guess I'm just used to it and don't expect too much... even in today's age, it's really complicated to program multiple racing AI.

I've seen some other people complain in forums that the AI brakes too early and the player always runs into their rear.  Well yeah, I learned that in my first couple races.  So the obvious answer to me is to not be behind the AI on turns, and then people shouldn't have a problem.  You need to be on the sides of the AI, or if you insist on being behind them, you should learn to brake early and be careful in turns.  Yes, that may take a player off their ideal line, but that's the game and you just get used to it.

I'm not surprised you like it though Kepow slywink  You love chaos, and noob tubes, and commando.  All the crazy over the top stuff I tend to be down on.   icon_cool

Whoa you have a good memory!  That's me... I get a kick out of bumper cars, and we've had some awesome hilarious MP races in F3 and F4.  Really fun stuff.

And yeah, I can't believe you remember I'm the grenade launcher lover in the Modern Warfares hahha.  Don't forget the best perks, One Man Army and Danger Close!  I'm not even joking when I say that I have no interest in Black Ops, and unfortunately MW3 from what I've read, because they took those perks out.  Also remember dual 1887s and the Javelin suicide bomb?  I loved those too... I don't think there will ever be another MP FPS I like more than MW2, it was just perfect.

(btw it's called a Pro Pipe... not noob tube)
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 19, 2011, 05:21:48 AM »

Anyone else having problems uploading movies from the game? Replays to the Storefront aren't a problem, but when I try to upload a movie it keeps telling me that I already have a movie or big shot there and do I want to overwrite it? I say yes, but after several seconds it comes back and asks me the same question. I have uploaded the "Big Shots" to the website before and downloaded them from there so that doesn't appear to be the issue. I haven't found anything about it on the Forza forums.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 19, 2011, 05:37:41 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 19, 2011, 05:21:48 AM

Anyone else having problems uploading movies from the game? Replays to the Storefront aren't a problem, but when I try to upload a movie it keeps telling me that I already have a movie or big shot there and do I want to overwrite it? I say yes, but after several seconds it comes back and asks me the same question. I have uploaded the "Big Shots" to the website before and downloaded them from there so that doesn't appear to be the issue. I haven't found anything about it on the Forza forums.

Servers are overloaded
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 19, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »

Man... I hope we get more folks in the club doing a bigger set of the Rivals races. I knocked off more than a couple of scores last night, and looking forward to continuing to do so (and hoping I get into some back-and-forth time battles).

As much as I'd like to have the time to do MP, Rivals mode is a really solid middle ground.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 19, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »

I did a few Rivals Autocrosses last night. Thanks to those who posted their cars to the club garage so I could borrow them  icon_biggrin

I also reached Driver Level 50 (and then 51) so I've gotten all the cars the game is going to give me. I also picked up a few bargains in the Auction House to start filling out my collection.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: October 19, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »

Yeah I received a load of messages saying people are kicking my arse in Rivals mode, best get out there and try and improve mine again.

However I really want to get to Level 50, not bought many cars and won't until I have all my rewards first.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 19, 2011, 06:40:21 PM »

I'm basically only doing the Rivals events Kepow has a time in and then crushing his time as much as possible.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 19, 2011, 09:25:03 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on October 19, 2011, 05:39:45 PM

Yeah I received a load of messages saying people are kicking my arse in Rivals mode, best get out there and try and improve mine again.

However I really want to get to Level 50, not bought many cars and won't until I have all my rewards first.

I'm actually finding, on races where we have a bunch of times, that Rivals mode isn't bad for that. I've already gotten two or three levels in a bunch of manufacturers I didn't own yet.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: