http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 12:42:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza 3 Discussion and Impressions  (Read 24189 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 19, 2009, 06:55:56 AM »

We had several folks together tonight and got in some racing. I did try my wheel for several races but I'm just not getting adjusted to it. I'll try it in some offline action.

I did get my F-S classes finally set up, although I'm not sure about a couple of them. And I finally have an A class drifter.

Turn 10 released one free gift car to everyone who downloaded the Holiday DLC and is a Gold XBL member. It's a winter themed painted and tuned version of an existing in-game 2010 Nissan GT-R SpecV. Also, VIP members (who bought the LCE) got another gift car, a super duper R3 1998 Porsche 911 GT1 Strassenversion. It's tuned and is probably the nicest handling R3 I've ever driven. It does NOT have a custom paint job because, as a Turn 10 guy explained in a forum post, this will allow you to resell it back at more than the usual 100 credits which is usually what you get for any gifted or reward cars. More like 650,000 credits nod. Nice.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 21, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »

I picked up the wheel rig after a multiplayer session yesterday.  At first i couldn't drive to save my life with it but after slogging through 2 laps i reset the 1st race i was doing with it and took 1st place easy enough.  Ran about 10 races with it and i'm getting good with it now.  Already better with it than i was without it.

I also set my viewpoint to view a lil wider angle from cockpit.  Def helps with cockpit view.

I got tunes for D C and B for my RX-8 now and all the parts for em, they're looking good.  C class drift tune and the parts for that.

Bought an RX-7 and an A tune for it but don't have the parts to equip it yet, need another 100k for those still.

So, getting there on cars and gear for the classes.   I noticed on the leaderboards that a specific car seems to have the top several thousand slots all locked up on the low end classes....i was hoping we had an end to that bullshit after Forza 2 but i guess not.   I'm gonna drive what i wanna drive though and screw leaderboards:)  Driving a toyota Celica is not fun for Fuzz, driving a Mazda RX is! Tongue

Look foward to racin with ya, temple, we can practice the wheel in some races tonight if yer on.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 26, 2009, 11:32:57 PM »

I picked up the wheel today - in the instructions it says to use an install disc, but all it came with is a GRID demo disc. It seems to be working - did they start bundling in the install with NXE?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 27, 2009, 06:51:26 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 26, 2009, 11:32:57 PM

I picked up the wheel today - in the instructions it says to use an install disc, but all it came with is a GRID demo disc. It seems to be working - did they start bundling in the install with NXE?

Pretty sure that's just there for mass market people who don't connect their Xboxes to the internet.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 29, 2009, 02:17:53 AM »

http://www.harkonis.com/csl.wmv

right click save as to see an amazing finish
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 29, 2009, 05:18:57 AM »

Kind of goofy to make the movies wmv. Can't upload to youtube and they seem to make handbrake choke.

People must see Drifter's reckless driving! slywink

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 29, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »

Would you expect Microsoft to use anything other than the Microsoft file format for their own game?  slywink

BTW if any of you got the Forzatune app they just released an updated version.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 29, 2009, 04:20:14 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good site for driving tips? I am reading drivingfast.net, which is helpful, but a site that used the game as the driving environment would be even better.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 29, 2009, 04:43:30 PM »

There is apparently something odd about the wmvs that come off the web site, because I am reading that youtube should take wmvs and another conversion program I tried also choked on the file.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 29, 2009, 06:09:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 03, 2009, 03:37:14 PM

If anyone is looking for an explanation of all the tuning options and their benefits, this site looks like a fantastic resource. It goes through real world concepts, and then their application to Forza. Really well laid out.

This site is great, btw.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 29, 2009, 07:31:53 PM »

http://www.harkonis.com/spin.wmv
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 29, 2009, 08:01:36 PM »

Quick question.  A friend of mine got this for Christmas and after a few nights of solid play says he can't progress in the calendar events.  He said that all he can do at the moment is a series that requires R3 cars and he doesn't have one, nor does he have anywhere near the cash required to buy one.  How has he been able to get himself stuck like this?  Is it possibly something that has been addressed by a patch?  He doesn't have a hard drive yet so he hasn't patched it.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: December 29, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »

That's odd, I only played through 2 seasons so far but every time I am given a choice between 3 series. Have him try getting into another car ina different class/type/manufacturer/etc, that changes the next series options.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 29, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »

Fine.  I broke down and bought this today off of Amazon for $40.  Are you happy?  At least I already own the wheel.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 29, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »

Thanks Coop, I didn't know that.  I'll suggest it to him.

Steam profile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 30, 2009, 12:16:55 AM »

No dice.  This sounds like some kind of bug.  It seems that he'd entered some kind of muscle car series and played one with a car he already has.  But now, whenever he selects season play, it goes straight to the calendar, highlights the last race he did, and advances automatically to the next race which requires an R3 car.  It asks him to choose a car from his garage but, not having any R3 cars, he has nothing to select.  As in, the list is literally blank.  If he tries to select back it just presents him with the initial menu to select season play.  If he selects season play again, it again automatically goes straight to the R3 race.  There's nothing he can do.

Bug?  The poor guy doesn't have a hard drive yet and, not having a router, has never even taken his Xbox online, so he's never downloaded any patches for the game.  I'm all out of ideas and my only advice to him at this point is to get it online whatever it takes, grab the patches, and start his whole game again.  icon_confused

Steam profile
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 30, 2009, 12:42:58 AM »

I'm assuming he has some kind of memory card either internal or external? If so, he can patch it.  The patch files are really small, less than 5 megs at most.  If he can get it hooked up even briefly, he should be able to patch it.

That said, I have no idea if they've released any patches for the game.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 30, 2009, 12:56:34 AM »

Cool.  He's going to connect it up tomorrow and he does have a card, so I'll let him know.  Yeah, there have been at least two updates that I've been asked to install.  Fingers crossed that it resolves the issue, but even if it does, he'll probably have to restart anyway.  At least it happened after less than a week of play.

Steam profile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 30, 2009, 04:16:09 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 29, 2009, 04:20:14 PM

Can anyone recommend a good site for driving tips? I am reading drivingfast.net, which is helpful, but a site that used the game as the driving environment would be even better.

If you can find the old Forza 2 thread we had quite a lot of racing advice thrown about there.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 30, 2009, 05:07:16 AM »

Here are a couple of crashes from tonight. The first is a flying wreck I got caught up in, after which I conveniently rolled right into the pit.

The second is the one I was whining about. I was finally having a good race (albeit only making slow left turns) and then got taken out just before the 9th of 10 laps. What I didn't realize at the time was that the driver that hit me (Stormshadow?) had just bounced off the wall, not veered right into me as it seemed at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJxrvJqBjA

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:15:37 PM by Teggy » Logged

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: December 30, 2009, 04:17:06 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 30, 2009, 05:07:16 AM

Here are a couple of crashes from tonight. The first is a flying wreck I got caught up in, after which I conveniently rolled right into the pit.

The second is the one I was whining about. I was finally having a good race (albeit only making slow left turns) and then got taken out just before the 9th of 10 laps. What I didn't realize at the time was that the driver that hit me (Stormshadow?) had just bounced off the wall, not veered right into me as it seemed at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJxrvJqBjA

If memory serves, I was the one in the flying car on that first clip.  It was an amazing ride.  (I got lucky and had an open track just long enough to backtrack to the pits.)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 30, 2009, 04:31:20 PM »

look forward to more of this...  I also updated my sig.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: December 30, 2009, 05:09:17 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 30, 2009, 04:31:20 PM

look forward to more of this...  I also updated my sig.

I think I'm going to unplug my mic again.  *head meets desk*

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 30, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »

That really was a funny moment in the game.  There are times where I am laughing so hard that tears are running down my cheeks. 
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 02, 2010, 06:00:10 PM »

Posted two tuning setups in my storefront.

Saturn Sky Redline - mainly handling with decent speed

Camaro SS 2010 model - good handling and speed
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 03, 2010, 12:12:27 AM »

part one of the 'Nonnahob incident of 2010: Accidental Contact'

http://www.harkonis.com/nonna1.wmv
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 03, 2010, 12:46:34 AM »

Do you have to learn the tracks before you can start having fun in this game?  I'm no racer but I don't think I'm terrible with the basic mechanics...however, since I don't know the tracks (and don't use the racing line) I find that I'm consistently useless because I never know when to hit the brakes, whether the next bend will be big or small, etc.  What do I need to do?  Just learn the tracks?

Steam profile
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 03, 2010, 12:54:27 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 03, 2010, 12:12:27 AM

part one of the 'Nonnahob incident of 2010: Accidental Contact'

http://www.harkonis.com/nonna1.wmv

By the way, sorry for the couple of times I haven't joined your invites.  One time was the first time I had popped the game in, so I wanted to at least check it out and the other times, I was getting in to play Borderlands with a friend and SF4 and Tekken 6 with my daughter.  Keep sending those invites when you see me.  I got on last night looking for you, but you weren't on.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:15:27 AM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: January 03, 2010, 01:13:48 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 03, 2010, 12:46:34 AM

Do you have to learn the tracks before you can start having fun in this game?  I'm no racer but I don't think I'm terrible with the basic mechanics...however, since I don't know the tracks (and don't use the racing line) I find that I'm consistently useless because I never know when to hit the brakes, whether the next bend will be big or small, etc.  What do I need to do?  Just learn the tracks?

If you don't know the tracks turn on the braking lines... err... or learn the tracks. You have to do one or the other. Guessing doesn't really work very well.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 03, 2010, 04:44:51 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 03, 2010, 01:13:48 AM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 03, 2010, 12:46:34 AM

If you don't know the tracks turn on the braking lines... err... or learn the tracks. You have to do one or the other. Guessing doesn't really work very well.

Yeah why not just turn the braking lines on?  They aren't optimal anyway so you aren't really gaining any advantage by using them other than actually knowing a turn is coming up.

gellar
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 03, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »

braking lines work just fine for first time drivers, I suggest turning off the full line though, it is not the best racing line by far.

I am so used to the braking line that even on tracks I have 100+ hours on I don't drive well without the braking line.  bad habits I guess.

You'll be fine just learning, we have players of all skill levels
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 03, 2010, 06:53:04 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 03, 2010, 05:46:49 AM

braking lines work just fine for first time drivers, I suggest turning off the full line though, it is not the best racing line by far.

I am so used to the braking line that even on tracks I have 100+ hours on I don't drive well without the braking line.  bad habits I guess.

You'll be fine just learning, we have players of all skill levels

I agree, the real-time braking line is great and I would highly suggest it.  The full line is pointless.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 03, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »

Really?  OK, I suppose I can try the braking line out if that's what you all suggest.  Thanks for the advice.

Steam profile
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 03, 2010, 01:35:04 PM »

braking line works well plus you do have a small map of the track on the bottom left of the screen so you can see whats coming up a bit.  If you drive from inside the car adjust your view to see more of the track I think mine is at 62 degrees and Harkonis runs at 70 degrees, lets you see more of the track.  Some cars you just inherently see better out of based on drive position, the Vauxhall is a very low riding car that is a gift by leveling but since you sit so low its sometimes hard to drive as visibility of whats coming up isnt so good.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 03, 2010, 02:42:06 PM »

Yeah, that's a problem, not being able to see corners properly.  I'll have to try that FOV trick.  But the map in the corner is almost useless; it isn't detailed enough and I can't spend enough time looking at it to be able to drive effectively.

I'm not exactly a natural when it comes to racing games anyway, but even I can tell that Forza 3 is a class act and I'd like to get a lot more into it than I am.

Steam profile
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 04, 2010, 04:52:32 AM »

So, I blew out my engine for the first time tonight, on Maple Valley full circuit in my Focus. I'm not entirely sure, but I think what happened was that near the beginning, when you go over some short bumps, my car was nailing the red while it was in the air.

So my question is, does the amount of redline you get change when you changed the gear ratios, or is it set by car and you just have to know to shift up earlier so you don't screw your car in those bumps?

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: January 04, 2010, 06:31:12 AM »

Keep the It is amazingly fun.

Now that I'm back from my knee surgery and family foo, my review should be posted soon.

Not that all of you need to read a review slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 04, 2010, 07:10:05 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on January 04, 2010, 06:31:12 AM

Keep the It is amazingly fun.

Now that I'm back from my knee surgery and family foo, my review should be posted soon.

Not that all of you need to read a review slywink

I had a lot of fun with the various modes except for the fact that people tended to play outside the 'spirit of the game' when playing them.  Keep the It meant that as soon as some one was tagged they would slam on the brakes and not move at all until people turned around and went the wrong way to get them.  It just no longer felt 'correct'.  If there was still the incentive to try to get to the finish line the normal way it would probably have been a lot more fun.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 04, 2010, 09:23:58 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 04, 2010, 04:52:32 AM

So, I blew out my engine for the first time tonight, on Maple Valley full circuit in my Focus. I'm not entirely sure, but I think what happened was that near the beginning, when you go over some short bumps, my car was nailing the red while it was in the air.

So my question is, does the amount of redline you get change when you changed the gear ratios, or is it set by car and you just have to know to shift up earlier so you don't screw your car in those bumps?

Admittedly I am still pretty new to the game - but yesterday Hark, Kato and I were racing on an oval with the Mercedes 300sl? (the old gull wing model) and we ran 6 laps in the red. And I mean constant red - 7000rpm and no one blew an engine.

Weird.

Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 05, 2010, 03:23:01 AM »

Got the game in the mail today.  Hurray amazon free shipping and arrives 1 day later (why go prime when you can get it nearly just as fast free).  Anyways, pretty fun, slick menu, and nice looking cars.

I received Need for Speed shift, and I have to say at first glance, graphics looked better, and the sound is simply amazing compared to Forza.  However I'm using component for the xbox, and I play need for speed on the PS3 which is hdmi.  So I'd have to say the reason it sounds better is because of the type of connection.

I also feel forza to be a little floaty, compared to shift.  I had to change the difficulty to Hard AI, and take off most of the assists, and it's after one race it finally gave out a challenge.

I'm not knocking the game, I only put in about 45 mins, but this is my first initial impressions.  Maybe things will change when I get faster cars.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: