http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:49:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza 3 Discussion and Impressions  (Read 24395 times)
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 12, 2009, 10:24:24 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on November 12, 2009, 09:52:39 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 12, 2009, 09:13:11 PM

it doesn't (afaik) reduce the steering input extremes at higher speeds like the game does for the controller.  

It does that??  That would explain why I have a hard time getting enough steering lock in high-speed sweepers.  Huh.  Good to know.  Now I can stop driving myself crazy wondering why the car refuses to turn into a late apex in a high speed turn

You know, this could explain why it feels to me like all the really fast R series cars feel like they have the turning circle of a giant truck when I'm moving fast.

Forza 2 did not do this (or if it did, it wasn't nearly so overdone), and I really don't like it in 3. Is there a way to turn it off?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 12, 2009, 11:40:09 PM »

Forza 2 did have it. I think the only way to disable it is to use a wheel. frown

In other news, the Forzatune app was just updated to have Forza 3 settings.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 13, 2009, 01:28:39 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 12, 2009, 11:40:09 PM

In other news, the Forzatune app was just updated to have Forza 3 settings.

Good news. Someday, when I get tired of MW2, I'll get back into FM3.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 13, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »

Same. I was at least hoping to get people interested in a regular Forza night so we wouldn't completely abandon it for MW2.

By the way, the Forzatune settings are changed more than I expected for F3. Different baseline caster and differential settings, on top of the stiffer suspension settings I already expected.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 14, 2009, 03:40:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 13, 2009, 02:48:21 PM

Same. I was at least hoping to get people interested in a regular Forza night so we wouldn't completely abandon it for MW2.

By the way, the Forzatune settings are changed more than I expected for F3. Different baseline caster and differential settings, on top of the stiffer suspension settings I already expected.

I still am playing Forza 3 reasonably often (for me, which is less than most of the online gaming junkies here, I just don't have that much freedom!) but haven't seen any multiplayer groups going when I've had the chance to jump in.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 16, 2009, 01:25:07 AM »

Do you have a new link? I checked the old FM2 tuning page and I don't see a link to a new FM3 page.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 16, 2009, 01:37:30 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 16, 2009, 01:25:07 AM

Do you have a new link? I checked the old FM2 tuning page and I don't see a link to a new FM3 page.

Here's the guy's thread.
Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 16, 2009, 06:25:19 PM »

Woohoo! Xbox just arrived back this morning, I'll be back in for some laps. Gamertag is fledonfoot.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 17, 2009, 02:08:08 PM »

I'm having a fantastic time..loving it even more than the past iterations, though I did get the wheel this time which contributes a tremendous amount to the immersion factor.  I love the paddle shifters on the MS wheel.  I never got into manually shifting before, but the paddle shifters are just so instinctive it makes it super easy to use.

Favorite car of the 'normal' variants is the Audi S5.  I can't say I've tried all of the others, but found and fell in love with this one.
Favorite track has to be Maple Valley.  It's exactly what I remember from FM2, but more colorful.  The layout has just enough going on that you have to be attentive but isn't punishing in the way that some of the others are with their super-tight hairpin turns.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 18, 2009, 12:27:49 PM »

Thanks for the link Pug, that app might help.

I took a little time off from MW2 and AC2 yesterday afternoon to fire up FM3 and download the new Hyundais. I also decided to run a small race series for North American cars up to F200 PI. When I looked at which of my garage cars it would allow, it listed every one of my NA cars irrespective of PI. Some reviewers call this a bug, but I guess since it's only in single player, I consider it a design feature  icon_wink. I can play by the rules and run an F200 car, or I can go with something else. I went with a Lexus R2 race car  icon_biggrin. Surprisingly, after my problems with the Holden (which contrary to it's name doesn't hold a thing, including the road) the Lexus was drivable with all the assists off, as long as you are gentle with the throttle. In fact it's possible to throw the car around quite a bit. Lots of fun.

I'll be getting back into FM3 over the next few weeks as I burn out on MW2 and get through AC2. Oh, and I also have GTA IV Ballad to try sometime. Where were all these games last summer?  icon_confused

Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 18, 2009, 08:57:07 PM »

I played forza2 to death (and then some) over the years, and not once did I even know about the suspension settings app/spreadsheet. Boy, has it made a difference. The car feels settled and responsive, and predictable. the forzatune app has given me fairly realistic spring rates and suspension settings that compare well with the setup on the H&R cup suspension kit on my real-life Audi A4 that sees occasional track days.

Also, the Fujimi Kaido track is pure bliss in the 360 Challenge Stradale in the cockpit view. The downhill sections with the back end hanging out on the long hairpins, a touch of opposite lock and feathering the throttle... brilliant.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 18, 2009, 09:05:35 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 18, 2009, 12:27:49 PM

I took a little time off from MW2 and AC2 yesterday afternoon to fire up FM3 and download the new Hyundais.

Speaking of which - here's the direct link to free Hyundais for everyone!  Not that y'all will be dying to drive one, I suspect.

New holiday car pack coming out on December 8th includes the Ferrari 458 Italia, and more cars to be announced later.  They'll give away the 2010 Audi S4 fo' free on the 8th to whet your appetite for more fastness.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: November 18, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on November 18, 2009, 09:05:35 PM

Speaking of which - here's the direct link to free Hyundais for everyone!  Not that y'all will be dying to drive one, I suspect.

I'm not sure about in the game, but the Genesis Coupe is pretty damn sweet. if they didn't include that in the download pack I would be sorely disappointed.

---

hehe I just checked the DLC, it's all Genesis Coupes.  icon_twisted

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 26, 2009, 06:32:39 PM »

The good news is that today Turn 10 gifted all the VIP LCE owners a 2005 Lambo "Halo" edition. The bad news is that after reading I had been gifted a car I deleted the ingame email and can't find the damn think. Anyone else an FM3 VIP and know how to get the car?

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: November 26, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »

VIP = Preorders, right?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 26, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 26, 2009, 06:54:25 PM

VIP = Preorders, right?

No, it's only if you bought the Limited Collectors Edition, otherwise know as LCE. LCE owner = VIP.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: November 26, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »

Ah.  Ohwe ll smile
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 26, 2009, 07:19:01 PM »

There also is an update for the game. Aside from some glitch fixes, it also adds shifter animation to the driver.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 26, 2009, 11:54:39 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 26, 2009, 07:19:01 PM

There also is an update for the game. Aside from some glitch fixes, it also adds shifter animation to the driver.

Nice!  That bugged me on shifting.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2009, 07:37:39 AM »

How about a whiplash animation as I go slamming into yet another wall?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: November 30, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »

My bro let me borrow his F3. With my wheel and manual/clutch shifting and the 70 degree view? Awesome!

I had the wheel on an ironing board but that was too much gear to haul around the living room. I tried lap racing the other night and found it surprisingly good. The only drawback I found was when trying to make big turns on the wheel, my elbows didn't have the room to move.

Doing heel-toe driving is tricky, but when I hit the shift, oh so fun!

Tried the vinyl editor and it's near impossible when using the wheel. Will have to log on using the controller sometime.

For us lo5ers not on XBL Gold, since I can't get to the Storefront, can someone tell me how to make a license plate? I hate that these games don't let you have one from the get go.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: November 30, 2009, 08:07:04 PM »

Slowest trading game on goozex, I was #5 on release day, I'm #3 now. It has been traded a total of 4 times in a month. In a fraction of the time, Assassin's Creed II has been traded 17 times and I have moved from #95 to #50. I guess I'll get to play it eventually. I gues goozex is better for games with actual endings.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: December 01, 2009, 04:56:24 AM »

Daddy wants.

The stand, that is. Got the wheel already.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 01, 2009, 05:56:12 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on November 30, 2009, 05:02:26 PM

My bro let me borrow his F3. With my wheel and manual/clutch shifting and the 70 degree view? Awesome!

I had the wheel on an ironing board but that was too much gear to haul around the living room. I tried lap racing the other night and found it surprisingly good. The only drawback I found was when trying to make big turns on the wheel, my elbows didn't have the room to move.

Doing heel-toe driving is tricky, but when I hit the shift, oh so fun!

Tried the vinyl editor and it's near impossible when using the wheel. Will have to log on using the controller sometime.

For us lo5ers not on XBL Gold, since I can't get to the Storefront, can someone tell me how to make a license plate? I hate that these games don't let you have one from the get go.

just unplug the wheel, turn on a wireless controller and do your edits.  then pull the battery out of the wireless and plug the wheel in to return.  much faster than logging in and out on the controllers and you don't have to miss a beat in-game.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 07, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »

Played online with Hark and Pug last night and had a good time, although Hark suffered a bit due to my occasional "buck fever". I hope he forgives me, it's just that it's a rare occurrence when I can past Hark on anything  icon_biggrin. Sadly in our last race, on the Fujimi Kaido Full Circuit, even though it was only a single lap my left thumb was completely numb by the end. I have had problems with this occasionally and often have to pause when playing offline. Can't really do that when playing an online race icon_frown.

After going back offline I did explore the issue of the "X" class. There are no default X (999+) plus cars and I really didn't want to spend a lot of my bucks upgrading one of my own cars. So I checked the auction house and yup there were a number of them, almost all the #62 De Ferran Acura upgraded from it's default R3 982 to over 999. Most were for sale in the six digits, but I did bid on one that was only $2,600, but it didn't say that cheap for long.

I also prepped a "C" class and an "S" class car for MP racing, just in case. I tried the "S" class in an offline series and I just can't control it without TCS and ABS, it's just too wild. Even with those assists I am miserably bad with the R1 Holden. Tuning does help somewhat, but it's still like driving on ice, the tiniest over-acceleration or braking is a disaster. Can't even imaging what driving an "X" class would be like. Maybe I will invest in a wheel.

BTW, the newest DLC comes out tomorrow. Supposedly it will also include 150K in credits, so that you can always buy one of the new cars to drive it. Nice idea.

I'm hoping that they soon offer the ultimate DLC, pay 400 or 800 MSP and get 100,000,000 credits. I might just be able to buy all the cars in the game with that!  icon_eek

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 07, 2009, 07:53:48 PM »

no worries temple
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 07, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 07, 2009, 07:53:48 PM

no worries temple

His lack of Pink Floyd knowledge, on the other hand, is unforgiveable.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 07, 2009, 09:22:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 07, 2009, 08:07:58 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on December 07, 2009, 07:53:48 PM

no worries temple

His lack of Pink Floyd knowledge, on the other hand, is unforgiveable.

When "Dark Side of the Moon" came out I had already been in college for a couple of years and had developed a taste for classical music. I did hear the songs on the radio but I don't think I ever let eyes on the album cover. By that time I was building up my library of Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 07, 2009, 09:49:09 PM »

Irrelevant. Research has shown that Tchaikovsky was a huge fan of Ummagumma. 
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 07, 2009, 11:08:18 PM »

I borrowed an MS Wheel for the 360 and gave it a try this afternoon. Hmm. A love/hate relationship. Yeah, more control range, but the wheel does seem to go all limp when I lose grip all of a sudden and it's harder to manage the resultant slide. I know I could probably get used to it, but it would take some time. The worst part is my current gaming setup. I use my computer monitor for my 360 playing as well. It's really nice, a 24-inch Gateway, but the desk it sits on is just not quite low enough. I can lower my seat, but then the angle to the pedals doesn't feel right. I'll have to play around with it some more, but the biggest problem is that I'll keep having to put it away since this is also my computer work desk.

By the way, what's with that stinky short cord between the wheel and the pedal unit? Needs more slack to be out of the way. I tried using an ordinary phone cord but it didn't work.

By the way, it may appear that I'm online racing in Forza 3 right now, but it's my dutiful hired driver that's cranking out laps at Le Mans for me. I can listen to him while I type. Man, he must be shifting every three seconds a lap.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 07, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »

The force feedback from slipping tires is one of my favorite parts about using the wheel. Really helps bridge the gap between a computer simulation and the extra inputs you get driving in real life.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 08, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »

So I've figured that my R2 Endurance Race (I haven't unlocked an R1 car yet) run by my hired driver earns me 80K in 68 minutes (all assists off, AI at Medium since the hired guy can't seem to win consistently at Hard). Is this the best way to make money when I can't race? I know that Forza 2 had a money glitch, but I guess there isn't one in FM3.

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: December 08, 2009, 12:37:52 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 07, 2009, 11:29:42 PM

The force feedback from slipping tires is one of my favorite parts about using the wheel. Really helps bridge the gap between a computer simulation and the extra inputs you get driving in real life.

I know nothing about driving other than going from point A to point B, and I agree with this. In a RWD or AWD, the sensation of slippage/sliding is pretty incredible and learning how to modulate that is quite fun. I've moved onto manual w/clutch and left foot braking and DAMN if that isn't a lot of fun.

I moved my wheel from my Ironing Board 360 (tm) to my Lap 360 (tm) and then to an Ikea Bar Stool 360 (tm) and the sturdiness of the IBS360 is AWESOME. Now I'm just waiting for some PayPal funds to clear (aside: wtf is up with them sitting on payment for 21 days? I'm the seller!) and then the WheelStand Pro will be MINEEEEE.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 08, 2009, 01:28:35 AM »

$8 TV table from Target is getting the job done for me, but I'd sure love to get my hands on a real stand.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 08, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »

Anyone post the upcoming car DLC pack?  400 Space Bucks

* 2010 Audi S4
* 2010 Ferrari 458 Italia
* 2010 Mercedes SLR Stirling Moss
* 2010 Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 SV (SuperVeloce)
* 2009 Audi #2 Audi Sport R15 TDI
* 2010 Jaguar XFR
* 2009 Aston Martin #007 Aston Martin Racing Lola
* 2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo 
* 2010 Nissan GT-R SpecV
* 2010 Ferrari 599XX

Really excited about the new Skyline. That's one I'm hoping to test drive in real life sometime soon.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 08, 2009, 03:43:38 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 08, 2009, 02:59:04 PM

Anyone post the upcoming car DLC pack?  400 Space Bucks

* 2010 Audi S4
* 2010 Ferrari 458 Italia
* 2010 Mercedes SLR Stirling Moss
* 2010 Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 SV (SuperVeloce)
* 2009 Audi #2 Audi Sport R15 TDI
* 2010 Jaguar XFR
* 2009 Aston Martin #007 Aston Martin Racing Lola
* 2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo
* 2010 Nissan GT-R SpecV
* 2010 Ferrari 599XX

Really excited about the new Skyline. That's one I'm hoping to test drive in real life sometime soon.

Totally buying that.

gellar
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 08, 2009, 05:21:32 PM »

The real Skyline or the $5 video game pack?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 10, 2009, 02:39:41 AM »

First of all, if you see me playing Forza 3 online, I might be at the console or I might be letting my hired driver earn some bucks for me, so don't be surprised if I don't respond to a game invite. It's a long haul till I get that $15 million for the 1958 Ferrari Testa Rosa  icon_eek

I got the new DLC. My favorite car is the 2010 Mercedes SLR Stirling Moss. Being a roadster, there's no roof or A pillar to block the view, and even that pesky side mirror only lasts as long as the first concrete wall!

I had adjusted my cockpit FOV to 90 degrees a while back, but I see a lot of folks recommending 70, so I tried that for awhile, but 90 really rocks for me. It's a bit of a tunnel view, but the HUD info ends up on the roof liner anyway. And it's nice to have the coverage off to the sides.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 10, 2009, 03:03:26 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 08, 2009, 05:21:32 PM

The real Skyline or the $5 video game pack?

That's what I was wondering, haha.

I bought the car pack today, can't wait to check it out.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 10, 2009, 04:16:52 PM »

Woo!  A good family friend finally got around to importing his (real) Lotus Elan he's had in storage in the UK for years. He does a ton of autocross already so it'll be a blast to hopefully see his Lotus in action soon (and see if it needs to be nerfed.)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: