http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 12:50:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza 3 Discussion and Impressions  (Read 24201 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 04, 2009, 09:01:46 PM »

Added a new sponsor... (my first real vinyl group, please be kind)

Was a real bear trying to get the "e" correct with the gears.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »

If anyone is baffled by the suspension tuning options and want a "just tell me what to do!" solution, there's a well received online tuning calculator for Forza 2 that still works great in Forza 3 (and it's being updated to support 3 even better.) Just put in the info about your car's weight and config and it'll tell you how to set your suspension.

But!

I just heard that they've just recently released an iPhone app called Forzatune that is based on the same formulas. There's a free Lite version that should do most everything you'll need, and a Premium version with a few extra features for a $2 intro price. It sounds like official tweaks for Forza 3 are comin in the next few weeks, but in the meantime they just recommend you set your vehicle weight 20% higher to get stiffer springs.

Looks pretty slick. Hoping to test it out on some of my undriveable tuning experiments gone wrong tonight.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2009, 09:33:05 PM »

someone buy my borderlands! I need to play this with ya! slywink
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2009, 10:06:05 PM »

You really need to try the new Rally Positano track, Hark. That and the new Fujimi Kaido are an absolute blast.  We closed last night's multiplayer session with an R1 lap around the 'ring, just like old times.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2009, 10:13:44 PM »

I'd like to try all the tracks slywink
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 04, 2009, 10:14:57 PM »

wonderpug, thanks for all the tuning info.  Although that makes me even more glad about the new Quick Upgrade option in Forza 3... I love that.

Oh and I love the Positano track.  But that's probably because I've been to the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, Ravello) in real life, and the devs must have done so too because the track really looks and feels like the real place.  One of my favorite places to visit.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 04, 2009, 10:34:47 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on November 04, 2009, 01:32:37 AM

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 04, 2009, 01:03:38 AM

I drove my first R3 race today and had to switch on ABS and TCS, and I still got trashed by the AI. Wow, so different than even racing in A class. I'm going to have to rethink my assists at the "R" level races.

The R classes are all about careful and smooth application of throttle, at least they are if you want to do them without the assists on. Just requires a little more care than the more normal classes.

I just ran another R3 race at Catalunya but with my newly acquired Class R3 Ferrari #62 Risi Competizione F430GT. I turned off all assists, kept the manual transmission, but chickened out and set the AI on easy. Still 80% bonus points. Wow, what a difference from the Holden! I could control the power slides and pretty much keep the car where I wanted. I think I could have won even with the AI at medium. As I was about to cross the finish line I checked my drift score. It was 8448, and I wasn't even trying to drift!

Oh, and I also found out something else. Unlike Forza 2 (I think that's true), in FM3 you can paint and decal the race cars, I know because I just removed all the colorful detailing on the Holden. I guess it's the role playing aspect of the game, I just don't like driving someone else's design.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 04, 2009, 11:19:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 04, 2009, 09:24:51 PM

in the meantime they just recommend you set your vehicle weight 20% higher to get stiffer springs.

saywhat
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 04, 2009, 11:27:54 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on November 04, 2009, 11:19:49 PM

in the meantime they just recommend you set your vehicle weight 20% higher to get stiffer springs.

saywhat

Not make the car heavier, just tweak the formula. The goal is stiffer springs, not a heavier car.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 05, 2009, 02:21:35 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 04, 2009, 11:27:54 PM

Quote from: Geezer on November 04, 2009, 11:19:49 PM

saywhat

Not make the car heavier, just tweak the formula. The goal is stiffer springs, not a heavier car.

Ah.. Ok then.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2009, 03:22:12 AM »

In my quest to be king of the auction house slywink I think I have found the sweet spot for my checkerboard Camaros. I began offering them starting at 30,000 with a buyout of 50,000 but not luck. Then 25,000/40,000. Finally I switched to 15,000/30,000 and I sold four of them for $30,000 apiece, all buyouts. Since I bought them for less than 10K apiece, nice deal.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2009, 07:56:25 PM »

Here is my "F" Class Honda Fit. It's got Durex sponsership so please, excuse the jizz stains on it. slywink

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 05, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »

Love the Your Mom on Board sign.  I'm surprised that design didn't get someone banned from the storefront.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:22:43 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 06, 2009, 02:42:58 PM »

I've been really impressed with the results of the Forzatune iPhone tuning app I mentioned earlier. I first tried it on a Lancia Delta I brought up to A class that just wouldn't stay on the road, but after using the Forzatune settings it became perfectly drivable--without any parts changes, just tuning settings.  Still need to tweak things a bit further, but now I at least have a usable starting point.

After trying it out on a handful of other cars, it seems that some settings are more or less static depending on the car's engine placement and drive layout, like camber, LSD, toe-in, and tire pressure. The biggest changes from car to car are in the settings for anti roll bars, springs, and damping. This is a godsend for me because I never know how to properly adjust springs, rebound, and bump in tandem with each other.

If you're clueless about tuning, this will give you a much better car than just buying parts and avoiding the tuning screen. Even if you're comfortable with the tuning options, it seems like you'd still find this useful to provide better baseline settings to start of with. 

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2009, 03:07:41 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 06, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »

Oh, how I wish I could pull this app down.  My iphone has developed a problem where somehow there are two passwords associated with my account, and sometimes neither works.  Instead, I'll put in my password, it'll try and start the download, then pop a "Can't connect to iTunes store" message.  Except the password is valid, so it keeps me logged in, won't let me put in the other password, and keeps popping that message.  I'm pretty sure that not being able to connect to the store isn't the issue because the first time I tried to get it this morning, it prompted me to accept the new ToS.

Don't believe the hype (about the iphone) folks.  It ain't all that.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 06, 2009, 04:05:50 PM »

Have you tried getting apps through the iTunes store on your computer and then synching it to your phone?
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 06, 2009, 04:21:48 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 06, 2009, 02:42:58 PM

I've been really impressed with the results of the Forzatune iPhone tuning app I mentioned earlier. I first tried it on a Lancia Delta I brought up to A class that just wouldn't stay on the road, but after using the Forzatune settings it became perfectly drivable--without any parts changes, just tuning settings.  Still need to tweak things a bit further, but now I at least have a usable starting point.

After trying it out on a handful of other cars, it seems that some settings are more or less static depending on the car's engine placement and drive layout, like camber, LSD, toe-in, and tire pressure. The biggest changes from car to car are in the settings for anti roll bars, springs, and damping. This is a godsend for me because I never know how to properly adjust springs, rebound, and bump in tandem with each other.

If you're clueless about tuning, this will give you a much better car than just buying parts and avoiding the tuning screen. Even if you're comfortable with the tuning options, it seems like you'd still find this useful to provide better baseline settings to start of with. 

I know *nothing* about cars or turning. Not even how to properly set my tire pressure. I've been using the "quick upgrade" for a while now, but this app sounds like exactly what I need. I'm assuming a complete n00b can use it?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 06, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »

Does quick upgrade even touch tuning or does it just buy parts upgrades and weight reduction?

Anyway, this app (or their web based calculator) is definitely noob friendly.

Step 1: buy racing suspension, roll bars, brakes, and differential so that the tuning options are open to you. (Great part of this is that it barely budges your PI rating despite the advantages.)
Step 2: from the part purchasing screens (press Y someplace where it shows the bar graph stats) look up your car weight, engine/drive config, weight distribution, and tire width.
Step 3: plug the numbers into the tool
Step 4: go into the car tuning screen and enter all the settings the app gives you

And viola!  Faster car.   
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 06, 2009, 07:37:52 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 06, 2009, 04:46:59 PM

Does quick upgrade even touch tuning or does it just buy parts upgrades and weight reduction?

No, it doesn't tune for you. Wish there was an auto tune option, I'm hopeless at it. Best thing is to look for free well-rated setups on the Storefront and give them a try.

Quote from: wonderpug on November 06, 2009, 04:46:59 PM

Anyway, this app (or their web based calculator) is definitely noob friendly.

Step 1: buy racing suspension, roll bars, brakes, and differential so that the tuning options are open to you. (Great part of this is that it barely budges your PI rating despite the advantages.)
Step 2: from the part purchasing screens (press Y someplace where it shows the bar graph stats) look up your car weight, engine/drive config, weight distribution, and tire width.
Step 3: plug the numbers into the tool
Step 4: go into the car tuning screen and enter all the settings the app gives you

And viola!  Faster car.  

Damn, wish they had one for the Palm. Is there a port of this app for the PC?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 07:40:02 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 06, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »

He mentioned a web-based calculator so I'm assuming it's online somewhere.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 06, 2009, 08:00:37 PM »

Ooo, web based would be SO nice. Link if you have one, please.

Hey, I just figured out something. If I don't want a Season race or an Event List race, I can use Free Play to run against the AI, but I don't get money or XP. However, if I go into Multiplayer, set up a race with seven AI, I can select all the variables and I get money and XP, even racing just against the AI. I'll have to test to see how what's received in MP matches up against Career race, but boy that would be a nice option; it's something I wish Forza 2 had included.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 06, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 06, 2009, 08:00:37 PM

Hey, I just figured out something. If I don't want a Season race or an Event List race, I can use Free Play to run against the AI, but I don't get money or XP. However, if I go into Multiplayer, set up a race with seven AI, I can select all the variables and I get money and XP, even racing just against the AI. I'll have to test to see how what's received in MP matches up against Career race, but boy that would be a nice option; it's something I wish Forza 2 had included.

Cool. I was disappointed when the game gave me three choices for my next set of career races and they were all above class F. I spent tons of time tweaking and designing my class F Yaris that I wanted to drive it around in one more set of races.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 06, 2009, 08:34:35 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 06, 2009, 08:19:35 PM

Cool. I was disappointed when the game gave me three choices for my next set of career races and they were all above class F. I spent tons of time tweaking and designing my class F Yaris that I wanted to drive it around in one more set of races.

You don't have to go to MP if you want to keep driving that Yaris. In the "Go Race" menu, just select "Event List" instead of "Season Play". In the resulting matrix, the green blocks are races or series where you can use your current care, the blue ones require a different car that you have in your garage, and the grey ones need a car you don't currently have. If there is a check mark in the box you have already completed the series, getting all "gold". So you can pick a car and then pick a series.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 06, 2009, 08:56:51 PM »

link in the post right after spacely sprockets up above. That's a Forza 2 one which will still work fine. The iphone app is about to get its first round update for Forza 3, so I'd imagine an updated web based one will be along soon. 
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 06, 2009, 10:04:45 PM »

If I don't want a Season race or an Event List race, I can use Free Play to run against the AI, but I don't get money or XP. However, if I go into Multiplayer, set up a race with seven AI, I can select all the variables and I get money and XP, even racing just against the AI. I'll have to test to see how what's received in MP matches up against Career race...

I just tested running in the MP against seven AI versus running the same race in Career mode. I used the same difficulty settings (all off, manual tranny, medium AI) in a D class race on the Catalunya School Circuit, five laps. The XP received was the same, 5,600. Money for the MP was slightly less at 10,080 versus 10,360. The cash difference in MP is 280 less, not a big deal. Maybe one of the difficult setting percentages isn't the same in MP.

So the only big change is there is no rewind in MP! Other than that, you can run a race with car you choose on a track you choose, make the same XP and almost the same money. Pretty cool.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 07, 2009, 12:39:57 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 06, 2009, 08:56:51 PM

link in the post right after spacely sprockets up above. That's a Forza 2 one which will still work fine. The iphone app is about to get its first round update for Forza 3, so I'd imagine an updated web based one will be along soon. 

I used the web based app. My C class Rabbit did seem to handle better. The major test however was trying to get my Holden to quit being such a bear to drive. I got the data and made the changes (quite significant!), then tried it in a race at Silverstone. I think it handled better, but I finally did have to give in and turn on ABS and TCS, otherwise it's just too hard to control. I've spent about 80K on upgrades for the Holden so I am loath to give up on it, but sheesh it's such a pain. Honestly I'm ready to put it up for auction, just so I won't keep beating myself up trying to be able to win with it.

In other FM3 news (I love this game) my "Killer Rabbit" team has expanded and now boasts VW Rabbit GTi cars upgraded for all classes from F to A, with an S class to follow.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 07, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »

Really, I waited a day to post again, I'm not trying to seem like I'm spamming  icon_wink

My S class Killer Rabbit at Le Mans

And my classy Honda Del Sol Silver Edition

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 08, 2009, 02:50:29 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 07, 2009, 08:30:36 PM

Really, I waited a day to post again, I'm not trying to seem like I'm spamming  icon_wink

My S class Killer Rabbit at Le Mans

And my classy Honda Del Sol Silver Edition

Nice cars! I like your idea of picking a car and having one in each class with a theme.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2009, 01:17:12 PM »

Are you actually buying a separate car for each class? I think I'd rather just save a tune config for each class and not have five of every car cluttering up my garage list.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »

The Del Sol is a very nice design.  Simple, clean, and classy.

The Rabbit has too much going on for my taste.  It reminds me of those cars you see that have a million bumper stickers on 'em.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 08, 2009, 04:58:07 PM »

Are you actually buying a separate car for each class? I think I'd rather just save a tune config for each class and not have five of every car cluttering up my garage list.
Hmm, I didn't consider this. Rabbits are really cheap (4,000 cr) and even the highest upgrades don't cost much. But you are right, if I can just save the tune setup for each class that would be more manageable. Guess I'll be having a sale soon on some Rabbits!

The Del Sol is a very nice design.  Simple, clean, and classy.
Thanks. I was trying something new.

The Rabbit has too much going on for my taste.  It reminds me of those cars you see that have a million bumper stickers on 'em.
I was including decals for all the upgrades on the car. I kind of like the cluttered look  icon_biggrin

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 08, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 08, 2009, 04:58:07 PM

Hmm, I didn't consider this. Rabbits are really cheap (4,000 cr) and even the highest upgrades don't cost much. But you are right, if I can just save the tune setup for each class that would be more manageable. Guess I'll be having a sale soon on some Rabbits!

You can. It changes which performance upgrades you have installed and everything.

Works the same way if you download a tune from the marketplace and apply it. The game will ask you for permission to auto-buy all the upgrade parts in use on the tune.

The only thing that won't be easily changeable will be the vinyl design with the PI rating on it.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 08, 2009, 08:23:08 PM »

Darn, one thing that apparently happens is that the parts aren't shared between different cars of the same make and model. So I can't move the parts from one VW to another. Bummer. Oh well, lesson learned.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 09, 2009, 04:31:41 AM »

My gosh the Lotus Carlton is a dog. Upgraded it a bit and ran it at Catalunya in a C class race and it was sliding all over the place. I guess I'll have to do some serious tuning on it.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 09, 2009, 04:32:37 AM »

Meet my new Camaro. I went with a simple design but soon into the decal application I realized nothing is simple when you're trying to fill in round areas with pre-cut shapes.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 09, 2009, 09:51:18 PM »

I tried the online tuner for my Lotus Carlton when I upgraded to B class. It's better, but still a dog. Funny, people move out of the way for me anyway, I wonder why????

Man, I need a lightbar!

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 12, 2009, 08:47:39 PM »

Finally getting around to spending a little time with this.  Nice, deep game, and enjoying it very much with just the regular xbox controller.  Tried the MS wheel, and while it was a slight improvement, I didn't find it to be enough of one to make up for the hassle of pulling my PC sim rig apart and moving the xbox and mounting the wheel. I'll go back and try again once I have a better feel for the game and have enough time is some of the cars to be more aware of the subtleties.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 12, 2009, 09:13:11 PM »

Aside from the immersiveness of using a wheel, I love having the force feedback input on how much my wheels are slipping, and I love that it doesn't (afaik) reduce the steering input extremes at higher speeds like the game does for the controller.  Oh, and paddle shifting works great for me; I could never get the hang of manually shifting with the controller.  Just didn't feel right.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 12, 2009, 09:52:39 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 12, 2009, 09:13:11 PM

it doesn't (afaik) reduce the steering input extremes at higher speeds like the game does for the controller. 

It does that??  That would explain why I have a hard time getting enough steering lock in high-speed sweepers.  Huh.  Good to know.  Now I can stop driving myself crazy wondering why the car refuses to turn into a late apex in a high speed turn
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: