http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 09:00:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza 3 Discussion and Impressions  (Read 23526 times)
JayDee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2009, 08:34:24 PM »

I love the cockpit view, but I've read that there's a way to change the viewing angle to 700 which makes the view even better. I can't seem to find this option in the menus. Would anyone mind helping me out here? Much thanks!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: November 02, 2009, 08:40:13 PM »

I think you have to turn multi-monitor on to get to the FOV setting.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 02, 2009, 08:59:09 PM »

I simply do not understand people. I'm trying to get several 1984 VW Rabbit GTi for my "Killer Rabbits" racing team (I'll post a photo later). You can buy them in game for 4,000cr. Yet in the auction house people are *buying* them at 12,000 and 20,000 and yes, someone paid 150,000 for a Rabbit. The first two were completely stock with no car XP. The last one had no upgrades but did have a tuning setup. I guess someone wanted to pay 146,000 for a setup? Sheesh. Talk about your inflated markets!

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2009, 09:04:21 PM »

Yes, on the multimonitor thing.  I've done it.  It looks good.

jztemple:  Why, then, are you cruising the auction house for 4,000 CR cars?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 02, 2009, 09:11:29 PM »

Because I refuse to play retail!!!  icon_biggrin. Also I bet there's some achievement if I buy enough. I was buying up Camaros yesterday, putting a design on them and getting 20K profit per car. It's just fun. I did this in Test Drive Unlimited. I would buy a stock Mustang and upgrade it at the aftermarket place. Upgraded Mustangs were labeled as Saleens and I would make two or three times my cost and I could sell them as fast as I could produce them (you had to drive back and forth, took a little time). People are odd sometimes, me included  ninja.

Here's my Killer Rabbits design:

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 02, 2009, 09:24:25 PM »

What the what?  Cool design, btw, but you can make a profit buying cars, slapping a design on them, and selling them back on the auction house?  Really?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 02, 2009, 09:33:37 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 02, 2009, 09:04:21 PM

Yes, on the multimonitor thing.  I've done it.  It looks good.

OK, I must be misunderstanding something. I turned on the multiscreens option, but I didn't see a FOV slider. Can you help? Nevermind  Roll Eyes. I figured out how to do it. I wasn't moving the bottom slider enough. 70 degrees looks good.

What the what?  Cool design, btw, but you can make a profit buying cars, slapping a design on them, and selling them back on the auction house?  Really?

Yup, if you are willing to take a bit of time. I'll watch the bids for a certain make and model and try to figure out what they are going for on an average. Then I go out and bid on a bunch of them, but only at much lower prices. Eventually one doesn't get bid up and I win it. Then I apply my design and put it up on auction. The key is setting the price. The minimum price should be just enough to make a profit. Then put in a buy-out price around the average. Sometimes people will grab the car at buyout just to avoid having to repeatedly bid. If you have an unusual design, you can bump up both prices. Also I usually only go for the 100cr two hour opening bidding time. More than that the fee goes way up in price and it seems like many folks are just waiting till the last minute anyway. Why pay for an eight hour auction when people only really start stepping up in the last ten minutes?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:41:32 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 02, 2009, 09:55:35 PM »

Interesting.  I guess I've found it pretty easy to just earn money by, you know, racing.

Gamertag = IkeV
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 02, 2009, 09:55:35 PM

Interesting.  I guess I've found it pretty easy to just earn money by, you know, racing.

Ah, that's fine, sure. But for me racing would get a bit boring after a while. Need something to break it up.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 02, 2009, 11:14:04 PM »

Ooo, I just tried the FOV at 90 degrees and I like it. A lot. It feels like really "arms out" racing, but not only do you see more left and right, but you also get to see more of the dash.

BTW, it might appear I am online in FM3 right now, but actually I'm letting the AI driver do a couple of endurance races for me. I just don't have the patience and concentration for racing more than an hour at a stretch. And I'm fine with splitting the money 50-50 with the guy  icon_biggrin

Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2009, 12:30:36 AM »

I've dumped ~14 hours or so into this so far. On Saturday night I sat down to play and it prompted me for the title update. 5 seconds into a race EVERY FREAKING TIME it freezes my xbox. Random menu freezes. All other games work fine. Back to F3 and it's freeze city, population me.

Sunday morning, I cleared the xbox cache, reinstalled the update. More freezes.

I cleared the cache again, did NOT install the update and presto, I'm back to racing (though disconnected from live) and sink in another six hours. For shits and giggles, I reinstall the title update and it's freeze city again. Another cache clearing and no title update, and another two hours of freeze free performance goes by fine.

The title update is screwing up my enjoyment online. Or lack thereof. I'm getting very frustrated.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 03, 2009, 12:43:58 AM »

Quote from: Magic on November 03, 2009, 12:30:36 AM

The title update is screwing up my enjoyment online. Or lack thereof. I'm getting very frustrated.

Yikes! Sounds seriously bad. Funny, I don't even remember a title update.

Have you deleted the game itself (not the save!) from the hard drive, then reinstalled? If that doesn't work, delete some other game and then remove and re-install FM3 to the hard drive. That should help it install in another location on the hard drive.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue, which would make me suspect your hard drive.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 03, 2009, 02:15:37 AM »

Quote from: Magic on November 03, 2009, 12:30:36 AM

I've dumped ~14 hours or so into this so far. On Saturday night I sat down to play and it prompted me for the title update. 5 seconds into a race EVERY FREAKING TIME it freezes my xbox. Random menu freezes. All other games work fine. Back to F3 and it's freeze city, population me.

Sunday morning, I cleared the xbox cache, reinstalled the update. More freezes.

I cleared the cache again, did NOT install the update and presto, I'm back to racing (though disconnected from live) and sink in another six hours. For shits and giggles, I reinstall the title update and it's freeze city again. Another cache clearing and no title update, and another two hours of freeze free performance goes by fine.

Any chance you are both A) trying to play hotlaps, and B) using the field of view mod?

I've read that the game has freezing errors if you do the above at the same time while disconnected from the internet.  It gets stuck looking for the nonexistent 2nd and 3rd Xboxes you're "multiscreening" with.  Somehow when you're connected to the internet it finds an IP address for the first Xbox and is content or something something magic yadda yadda.

Oh wait, just reread your post.  You're getting freezes only when disconnected?  Haven't heard that one before.
Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 03, 2009, 03:53:02 AM »

no field of view mod. no hotlaps, only career racing on the hood/roof/bumper view.

The disconnecting from Live happens because I don't download the title update - it won't let me connect to XBL without that update. Ive tried numerous reinstalls, with and without the second disc, full installs of both discs, everything.

I'm getting freezes when both connected to XBL and not with the title update installed. the console was one of the last 20GB pro's, with the 60GB HDD kit added. I don't have the old 20GB HDD anymore and would have tried that.

I can say with 99.9999999% certainty that it's the title update that does it for me. that's the only thing that has remained constant with all this screwing around that is the last step that triggers the freezing.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »

Quote from: Magic on November 03, 2009, 03:53:02 AM

no field of view mod. no hotlaps, only career racing on the hood/roof/bumper view.

The disconnecting from Live happens because I don't download the title update - it won't let me connect to XBL without that update. Ive tried numerous reinstalls, with and without the second disc, full installs of both discs, everything.

I'm getting freezes when both connected to XBL and not with the title update installed. the console was one of the last 20GB pro's, with the 60GB HDD kit added. I don't have the old 20GB HDD anymore and would have tried that.

I can say with 99.9999999% certainty that it's the title update that does it for me. that's the only thing that has remained constant with all this screwing around that is the last step that triggers the freezing.

Weird, because I haven't heard of anyone reporting this problem so far.  I played for about 2-3 hours straight tonight without a problem (I have the title update).

btw, this game is incredible... I finally received it from Amazon today and I'm totally impressed with it.  They topped Forza 2 in every way.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »

Thanks for the multi-screen tip. I changed it to 70 degrees and now the cockpit view is all I use.

I'm spending way too much time designing cars, although I'm a complete n00b at it and have no creative talent whatsoever. Here's my first effort converting my F-class Toyota Yaris into my own personal Canada-mobile. It's my first attempt at customizing a car, and it's still a work in progress.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 03, 2009, 03:37:14 PM »

If anyone is looking for an explanation of all the tuning options and their benefits, this site looks like a fantastic resource. It goes through real world concepts, and then their application to Forza. Really well laid out.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: November 03, 2009, 05:54:31 PM »

While I don't have the game, I am loving all these shots of your designed vehicles. Excellent job so far, and I hope to see tons more out of everyone. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 03, 2009, 05:54:47 PM »

Really liking the rewind feature for all those times I come in five seconds ahead of the next guy and have to try and showboat and head across the line sideways, only to realize I still have a lap to go frown

Lots of fun.  I've been playing with Hard AI and braking lines only and it gives me a good challenge every time.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2009, 06:00:04 PM »

I want to be playing this, but I honestly wasn't expecting Borderlands and Torchlight to hook me in as much as they have.  frown

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2009, 07:17:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 03, 2009, 03:37:14 PM

If anyone is looking for an explanation of all the tuning options and their benefits, this site looks like a fantastic resource. It goes through real world concepts, and then their application to Forza. Really well laid out.

Holy crap that is a nice tuning site. Thanks for posting the link!

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »

I have no assists on and am starting to come in the top 3 pretty consistently on Medium difficulty. I want to bump it up to hard, but I'm afraid. I'm still using automatic transmission though. Maybe manual is the next step.

I'm also finding it hard to run clean races with F class cars on the early tracks. The tracks are so short and you always start 8th so the only way I can get up to the top 3 is by bumping and grinding my way there. If I wait for "clean" passing opportunities the race is over before I gain more than two or three spots.

Loving the game though. I'm already excited to go home and tweak my Canadiana car. I decided to ditch the black and go with a white base colour instead.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2009, 08:00:20 PM »

Jaydee, the developers stated here that they designed the earlier F class races to have a lot of bumping, so don't worry about that.

So here's where I'm at, after a week.  I've set all the assists off, including braking line and ABS.  I have the transmission set to manual, without the clutch though.  If I had a fancy wheel with a clutch, I'd probably use it, but I don't and it's too much of a pain to use the A button as a clutch

I rarely use the rewind function, except to learn specific turns where I'm screwing up a lot, but I will  restart a race over and over again until I win it.  Just compulsive that way I guess.  I'm midway through the second season, and I've been buying a bunch of Porsches, while trying to use the cars I've been winning also.  I've played online a few times with some of the other guys from GT and Qt3, and so far it's been a hoot.  If you haven't tried it, you should.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:05:01 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2009, 08:02:37 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 03, 2009, 08:00:20 PM

Jaydee, the developers stated here that they designed the earlier F class races to have a lot of bumping, so don't worry about that.

Awesome!  icon_biggrin
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 03, 2009, 08:08:11 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 03, 2009, 07:17:41 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 03, 2009, 03:37:14 PM

Holy crap that is a nice tuning site. Thanks for posting the link!

I'm still trying to digest the enormous amount of information there. The troubleshooting guide at the end is fantastic.
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 03, 2009, 08:21:35 PM »

My first design using the greatest of beers...

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 03, 2009, 08:47:05 PM »

sweet TVR!
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 03, 2009, 08:00:20 PM

So here's where I'm at, after a week.  I've set all the assists off, including braking line and ABS.  I have the transmission set to manual, without the clutch though. 

This is what I'm doing, although I set the AI to medium. I try not to rewind, unless I really screw up.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 03, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »

I have the AI set to medium too.  It still sometimes takes me a while to beat the race finishing in first.

Gamertag = IkeV
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2009, 01:03:38 AM »

I drove my first R3 race today and had to switch on ABS and TCS, and I still got trashed by the AI. Wow, so different than even racing in A class. I'm going to have to rethink my assists at the "R" level races.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 04, 2009, 01:32:37 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 04, 2009, 01:03:38 AM

I drove my first R3 race today and had to switch on ABS and TCS, and I still got trashed by the AI. Wow, so different than even racing in A class. I'm going to have to rethink my assists at the "R" level races.

The R classes are all about careful and smooth application of throttle, at least they are if you want to do them without the assists on. Just requires a little more care than the more normal classes.

And the other thing with R class cars? The racing line is wrong a fairly large percentage of the time. It tells you to brake in many places that you simply don't need to in those cars.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2009, 01:55:53 AM »

Thry, that looks tight as hell!
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2009, 02:22:10 AM »

And again, this is why they don't let me drive real race cars. I roll my Rabbit!

Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 04, 2009, 02:22:34 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 04, 2009, 01:55:53 AM

Thry, that looks tight as hell!

Thanks! I like simple designs but that still took me a couple of hours Tongue I'm getting much quicker with the editor though.

Anyone else notice that its off slightly when you copy from the other side of the car? At least it has been for me two times copying from right to left.  Both times I had to bring everything down 3 or 4 pixels.  
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 04, 2009, 02:38:17 AM »

Hyundai Genesis Coupe takes digital form in Forza Motorsport 3: Rhys Millen Racing Red Bull, HKS and FM3 Genesis Coupes as DLC November 17th!

Kept seeing all those Hyundai Genesis Coupe ads on the NYC track, now we know why.

To celebrate the flourishing “Forza” community, Hyundai will be gifting a free downloadable vehicle package on Xbox LIVE on Nov. 17, 2009. The package will include the Rhys Millen Racing Red Bull Hyundai Genesis Coupe, HKS Genesis Coupe and a one of a kind Genesis Coupe. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe will also boast its own race series within the Career mode of the game. Hyundai is also developing an online photo and video upload contest for “Forza” gamers who can show off their best in-game photo and video of the Genesis Coupe in action.

Let me repeat what might be the most important part of that quote... "The Hyundai Genesis Coupe will also boast its own race series within the Career mode of the game." IIRC that's the first DLC that included it's own racing series in the Career mode. This makes it worthwhile to play since you make money, otherwise they are just another three cars added to the game.

I really hope that Turn 10 also follows the same philosphy when they eventually release (and you know they will) more tracks as DLC. That was the problem with Road America in FM2, it wasn't part of the Career mode.

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 04, 2009, 03:45:47 AM »

Got this last weekend but finally got a chance to dive in a play a bit.  Won the R8 opening race.  Hate Audi, hate the R8, but it was a nice intro smile  Chose the Citroen for my first car, and as befitting for an ugly-ass Euro hatchback, picked the ugliest color possible (beige/gold) and slapped an xbox sticker all askew on the roof.  Fired up my MS wheel and took off... First thing I felt was.... TORQUE STEER.  And pretty damn accurately too.  Nice smile Felt just like every goofy thin-tired FWD company rent-a-car I've ever abused.  Got into the race, tried to induce trailing throttle oversteer with no luck (Enter a turn, lift off throttle and hope the front bites and the back slides around).  Not so good, but it could be the car.  I'll try again with something a little more lively (like a Mini) later in the game.

Initial impressions - pretty positive.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 04, 2009, 04:48:26 AM »

Quote from: Geezer on November 04, 2009, 03:45:47 AM

Got into the race, tried to induce trailing throttle oversteer with no luck (Enter a turn, lift off throttle and hope the front bites and the back slides around).  Not so good, but it could be the car.

Definitely the car.  I can get MAD DORIFTO SKILLZ going in my Fiat 500.  I actually got the drifting achievement in the Fiat, which cracked me up.

gellar
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 04, 2009, 07:27:30 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 04, 2009, 04:48:26 AM

Quote from: Geezer on November 04, 2009, 03:45:47 AM

Got into the race, tried to induce trailing throttle oversteer with no luck (Enter a turn, lift off throttle and hope the front bites and the back slides around).  Not so good, but it could be the car.

Definitely the car.  I can get MAD DORIFTO SKILLZ going in my Fiat 500.  I actually got the drifting achievement in the Fiat, which cracked me up.

Holy crap... that achievement is hard, lol.  I don't know how to tune well so I can't drift for shit.

The game is sweet!
Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2009, 02:07:45 PM »

an email back from MS/Turn10 support told me to delete all traces of FM3 from the HDD. Start the game, download the title update then install disc two and begin playing.

I installed disc two, and part way through it froze in the menu. When I went to restart the 360, I got hit with the RROD.

deadhorse

Typical.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2009, 02:32:45 PM »

I re-did my Canadian-themed car, to be more, you know, Canadian.

And yes, I did notice that the vinals are slightly "off" when copying from one side to the other. I had to shift them around a little bit to cover the door properly.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: