http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:28:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza 3 Discussion and Impressions  (Read 23912 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2009, 08:36:26 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 28, 2009, 08:35:13 PM

Show off fail...  icon_twisted

Yup, my photo disappeared! Will dig it up again...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:41:03 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

So, one of the things I'm loving about the season mode is that it adapts to the cars you're winning or driving.  It also pushes you to check out new racetracks, or different cars from your garage.  So I'm thinking I'm going to start buying Porsches.  I've always had a thing for them.  And I want to see how the season mode adapts if I start buying them as I can afford to.

God, I'm loving this game.

I'm going to leave work a little early today I think.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2009, 10:05:08 PM »

And another bit of fun....

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2009, 02:36:04 AM »

Really great racing with you guys (and the Qt3 folks) before I got pulled away by real life.  I have video evidence saved showing that Ike was being a dick on his very first lap of his very first multiplayer race and rammed me off the road "inadvertently."

Oh yeah, and that European cobblestony city course is a dream. Just an incredibly fun course both visually and vicerally.
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2009, 04:51:00 AM »

I assume the typo in the skin was intentional, no?

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 28, 2009, 10:05:08 PM

And another bit of fun....

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 29, 2009, 12:45:13 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that the framerate drops when a friends list notification pops up?  It was really bad in the demo but I assumed they would fix it in the retail release.  I had to turn off notifications just to get through a race.  Forza 3 is the only game I have ever had this problem with.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2009, 01:13:42 PM »

Huh. Didn't notice anything like that myself, and I did see a fair number of notification pop ups.  Didn't notice it in the demo, either, but I didn't spend much time with the demo.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2009, 02:08:10 PM »

Spent about an hour last night starting into the career.  Got up through the first Sunday race.

I think I'm running the AI on medium, and I'm not having a crazy easy time of it yet.  I've taken second in most of the races, but I took first by a healthy amount in the Sunday race.  I attribute that to it being a longer race on a wider track.  The races before it were incredibly short and on narrow test tracks, so there was no real way to pass without knocking into someone, and you had no time to recover from mistakes.

I've been fairly happy to see the AI fighting amongst themselves, and even saw one take a turn wrong and go off the far side from understeer.  That was neat.  Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the thing from previous games where one particular car will pretty much always jump out to a healthy lead and stay there in every race.  Oh well.

I was using my MS wheel last night, and I still really like it.  It's invaluable in corners because you can feel when your tires are about to break free and can compensate.  What I'm less happy about is that the lack of a right analog stick means there are some things you just can't do with the wheel.  In the car, you can't look left or right, only straight back, and in the main driver stats page, you can't scroll the list down.  I wish they'd been able to come up with some workarounds for the wheel. 

I don't know when I'll get online with it.  Maybe Friday, maybe Sunday, but it's competing with Borderlands for MP attention.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »

It was a good time last night.  Mostly clean racing, but there was the occasional pileup.  I'd like to try it again on Friday.  I'm looking forward to some more online after I've got some more cars and experience with the tracks.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »

There is just an insane amount of content in this game to keep someone busy for a really long time.  So much so, that I'm not really sure what can and can't be done. 

Speaking of which...  Does anyone know if you can pick a particular race/track, choose a particular Friend who has run that race - and then race against his ghost?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2009, 03:31:31 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 29, 2009, 03:24:37 PM

There is just an insane amount of content in this game to keep someone busy for a really long time.  So much so, that I'm not really sure what can and can't be done. 

Speaking of which...  Does anyone know if you can pick a particular race/track, choose a particular Friend who has run that race - and then race against his ghost?

You know, I'm not sure.  I haven't seen it in F3, but I do know that you could download ghosts in F2.  You could also download tuning setups though, which I think they've moved to the auction house or whatever it's called.

Does anyone know if you can modify the size and color of decals you download?  I'd like to know what I'm getting for my 1,000 credits of make-believe money.

Gamertag = IkeV
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2009, 04:21:37 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 29, 2009, 03:31:31 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on October 29, 2009, 03:24:37 PM

You know, I'm not sure.  I haven't seen it in F3, but I do know that you could download ghosts in F2.  You could also download tuning setups though, which I think they've moved to the auction house or whatever it's called.

Does anyone know if you can modify the size and color of decals you download?  I'd like to know what I'm getting for my 1,000 credits of make-believe money.

You can modify size, but you can't flip it...so if you're buying side decal art, make sure there's flipped versions from the same person.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »

Can I rotate it?

Gamertag = IkeV
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2009, 04:38:27 PM »

Yes

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 29, 2009, 02:36:04 AM

Really great racing with you guys (and the Qt3 folks) before I got pulled away by real life.  I have video evidence saved showing that Ike was being a dick on his very first lap of his very first multiplayer race and rammed me off the road "inadvertently."

LOL awesome, did that really happen?

Dammit Amazon really screwed me over on this one, I need the game already.
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2009, 08:45:41 PM »

I'm thinking about getting the wheel for this mostly due to my left hand being in a brace (left index and middle are together).  Hows that going to work out for me?

Also what are wheel impressions from controller users? Have I been missing out?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2009, 09:00:28 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 29, 2009, 08:18:16 PM

Really great racing with you guys (and the Qt3 folks) before I got pulled away by real life.  I have video evidence saved showing that Ike was being a dick on his very first lap of his very first multiplayer race and rammed me off the road "inadvertently."

No, it did not.  I challenge wonderpug to produce this "video evidence".  If such a video exists, which it does not, I believe that it will show that wonderpug unexpectedly cut me off, thereby causing the collision, which did not happen.

Quote from: Thry on October 29, 2009, 08:45:41 PM

I'm thinking about getting the wheel for this mostly due to my left hand being in a brace (left index and middle are together).  Hows that going to work out for me?

Also what are wheel impressions from controller users? Have I been missing out?

I have the wheel.  I love it.  I will not go so far as to say that it makes me a better racer, but it definitely makes the game more fun and immersive.  It would also be a solution to having your left index and middle fingers in a brace.  You should be able to hold the wheel and even shift, and it would be even easier if you ordinarily drive automatic anyway.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:04:12 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2009, 09:09:51 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 29, 2009, 09:00:28 PM

Really great racing with you guys (and the Qt3 folks) before I got pulled away by real life.  I have video evidence saved showing that Ike was being a dick on his very first lap of his very first multiplayer race and rammed me off the road "inadvertently."

No, it did not.  I challenge wonderpug to produce this "video evidence".  If such a video exists, which it does not, I believe that it will show that wonderpug unexpectedly cut me off, thereby causing the collision, which did not happen.

hahahha, that kicks ass
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2009, 10:11:01 PM »

I have video evidence saved showing that Ike was being a dick on his very first lap of his very first multiplayer race and rammed me off the road "inadvertently."

Challenge accepted.

Youtube evidence of Ike being a dick on his first lap of his first online race in Forza 3
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2009, 10:31:40 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 29, 2009, 10:11:01 PM

I have video evidence saved showing that Ike was being a dick on his very first lap of his very first multiplayer race and rammed me off the road "inadvertently."

Challenge accepted.

Youtube evidence of Ike being a dick on his first lap of his first online race in Forza 3

Holy shit, genius!!!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 29, 2009, 10:31:40 PM

Challenge accepted.

Holy shit, genius!!!

LMFAO that was AWESOME icon_lol

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2009, 11:21:10 PM »

Hysterical!!!!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2009, 11:25:12 PM »

I have the wheel.  I love it.  I will not go so far as to say that it makes me a better racer, but it definitely makes the game more fun and immersive.  It would also be a solution to having your left index and middle fingers in a brace.  You should be able to hold the wheel and even shift, and it would be even easier if you ordinarily drive automatic anyway.

Thanks I went ahead and picked up Microsoft's wheel along with Forza.  I didn't research anything and just assumed 1st party was the way to go.  Here's to shooting from the hip!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »

Quote from: Thry on October 29, 2009, 11:25:12 PM

Thanks I went ahead and picked up Microsoft's wheel along with Forza.  I didn't research anything and just assumed 1st party was the way to go.  Here's to shooting from the hip!

There are better wheels than the Microsoft one but they all cost at least three times as much.  Especially since they dropped the price about $40 from what it was originally, it's a great deal for the cost.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2009, 12:42:43 AM »

That video is inconclusive.

Gamertag = IkeV
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2009, 03:50:56 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 30, 2009, 12:42:43 AM

That video is inconclusive.

I'm with Ike.

gellar
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »

I got in another five hours or so yesterday in FM3, I'm still having a blast with the game and it seems I'm spending as much (probably more) time doing non-racing activities than actually racing. That's fine since one of the reasons I burn out on racing games is that I feel like I'm getting into a rut, race after race.

Before I get started, here's some info for those who might be interested in getting the Prima game guide. I got it when I got the game and it is pretty nice, descriptions of the cars, tracks, menus, lots of appendices, a chapter on doing set-ups, etc. However, the car lists are missing several manufacturers, just like in the previous manual for FM2. It does mention this in the guide, but doesn't list those missing. As a service to the community I compared the guide to the game and came up with the following, which lists the missing manufacturer and the associated number of cars. The total of missing cars is 52.

Buick - 1
Cadillac - 5
Chevrolet - 23
Lamborghini - 10
Opel - 2
Pontiac - 7
Saab - 2
Saturn - 2

I have sixteen cars right now, one the original purchase to start the game (I got a Citroen C4 VTS Coupe), 14 reward cars (one for each driver level achieved) and one I purchased, a 1994 F355 Berlinetta. I picked up the latter car when I was offered as part of the season calendar a series of races for Class B mid-engined RWD cars.  Since I'm planning on sometime owning all the Ferraris, including the $15 million(!) 1958 250 Testa Rossa, I figured I'd get my first Ferrari at this time. I used the auto-upgrade to configured the car for the series and had a lot of fun. Later on I was offered a chance at the Class A World Series, restricted to V8s only. I considered getting a Vette for $48,000 as a cheap way to get a decent car for the series, but I decided to upgrade the F355 instead. That took $75,000 (yikes!) that got me only up to A-575. I manually upgraded to A-599 by spending a few thousand more to remove 300 pounds out of car. Anyone who wants to ride with me is going to be sitting on the floor!

Is it me or do the upgrades seem more expensive in FM3 than in FM2? I'm holding off buying any other cars just because I want to have the cash for upgrades. By the way, that's another nice thing about the game guide, it lists all fifty of the free cars I'll be getting as I level up. No point in buying a car if I can get it free. And you don't get free cars when you complete certainly racing series, unlike FM2.

After more experimenting I've established my current difficulty preferences. No ABS, STM, TCS or auto-brake. No driving lines, braking or full. Damage set to simulation. Manual transmission. To allow me to actually beat the AI they are set to Medium. While I might be able to win at hard it's not as much fun. The decision to turn off the driving assist track lines came after I realized I was paying more attention to the green/yellow/red than to the track. In FM2 the resulting crashes would have driven me to depression, but thanks to the Rewind feature I can back up and try that corner or pass again. Rewind really does change the way I play and for the better. My racing style can be best summarized by a line I read in the racing guide that came with "Grand Prix Legends" way back in 1998: "A squealing tire is a happy tire". I like to race ugly, not aggressive as much as sloppy. More "Police Academy" than "Bullitt". Rewind is a godsend on a track like the Nurburgring driving an A class Ferrari while trying to pass a Porsche RS3. 

But it's not all uber-cars and wide tires. Your first reward car is a 2010 Fiat 500 Abarth esseesse (what a name). You can get this car sideways just putting on your seatbelt. I raced it at the short reverse Maple Valley (I should note that in season play, you can select a car after a weekend race but before the weekday races are offered and the game will select the primary race series that matches your car). Anyway, I was in my esseesse at Maple Valley in a race for sub-compacts. I had a higher PI than any other car so I didn't make any upgrades. After blasting up through the pack I came to the big 180 degree sweeper and suddenly I was looking at grass but still traveling in the right direction. I got a popup saying I had received the Drifting achievement. Didn't really intend to do that! I realized that this was the first time I was driving a car I hadn't first upgraded. Without STM and on skinny tires you too can drive like a TV detective in hot pursuit.

I am having a gas with the storefront system, primarily with vinyls. I did download a couple of car designs, but I decided I didn't want to drive someone else's creation. There are a zillion vinyls. OK, not a zillion, but when I search by the criteria of "affordable" it lists over eight thousand files. Then I sort by least expensive and there must be hundreds of free vinyl groups. I now have a set of "Binford Tools" logos, they are now my primary sponsor slywink. On my cars I also have a racing number plate (if that's what it's called) that looks nice, it's a combination of a downloaded blank plus my own "42", my racing number inspired by Douglas Adams. My cars also have my name on the door, a "Temple Racing" decal, plus decals of every manufacturer who provided an upgrade. And there are some some nice oddball ones I found at the storefront. Yes, it's all a bit silly, but I figure it's an racing/RPG synthesis.

I have done some bidding at the auction house, but prices are being driven up by all the people online. And there are a lot of reward cars being auctioned off to the unwary who don't realize that they will be getting the car for free later on in the game.

So I'm having a good time with the game. I haven't done any online racing as of yet. I got an invite from CSL last night, but I was getting close to having to go to bed for the night and so I begged off. I'm pretty certain I'm going to stick with racing with folks from my Friends list, as I found in FM2 that there are just too many jerks out there wanting to ruin everyone's race if you just do random races. Anyway I'm happy with SP mode and all the painting and upgrading and stuff. I probably won't get back to Borderlands anytime soon and hey, it's less than two weeks till MW2.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2009, 05:58:23 PM »

Quote from: onnel on October 29, 2009, 04:51:00 AM

I assume the typo in the skin was intentional, no?

I didn't make the vinyl, but I'll assume it was intentional.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2009, 06:36:14 PM »

This is why they don't let me race real cars.. note the broken glass

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »

I really do love the new vinyl groups store. Spend an entire day creating my own Initial D tofu shop sign, autobot logo, and ghostbusters logo?  Or complete one race and have enough winnings to buy all three done better than I could have done. Easy choice. God bless the modding communities and their unfathomable amounts of talent and free time.   
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2009, 02:45:16 PM »

Challenge accepted.

LOL dick... dick... dick 
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 31, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »

Anyone using the wheel have any setup recommendations?

The lap position isn't very comfortable at all and it can't mount to my coffee table.

I'm going so far as looking at playseats but not sure I want to spend another 150+
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 31, 2009, 10:55:01 PM »

I used to clamp it to a small end table.  Now that table has a giant plant on it.  smile

What I've been doing is using my papasan chair with the wheel in my lap.  You're semi-reclining when you're sitting in that chair, so the lap position actually works really well since your torso is stretched back, but your feet are on the floor.  I have heard of people clamping the wheel to an ironing board and sitting in a regular chair.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2009, 11:00:55 PM »

This just keeps getting better as I play.  I set up some vinyl groups for my fictional racing team and have been setting up all my frequently driven cars with that as the 'livery' - including license plate.  I still need some major work on my vinyl design skills, but it's just too cool to really get my cars personalized.  I'll try and post some pictures up here of some of my favorites later.

Also, anyone who gets really bored of racing - give manual with clutch a shot.  I had someone take a couple of laps of the 'Ring and show me how to shift properly with manual+clutch, and it makes a HUGE difference in the enjoyment of it, even if I'm losing some time against automatics right now.  At this point I'm getting huge bonuses each race for having no aids, sim damage, and manual with clutch - the only thing not 'maxed out' is the AI difficulty.  It's SO fun to race as long as I pick a car that's reasonably within the race specs now.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 01, 2009, 12:41:06 AM »

Quote from: Thry on October 31, 2009, 10:29:45 PM

Anyone using the wheel have any setup recommendations?

The lap position isn't very comfortable at all and it can't mount to my coffee table.

I'm going so far as looking at playseats but not sure I want to spend another 150+

I wish I could justify one of the $100+ wheel stands but I ended up buying a $9 TV table from Target.  With a non-slip mat (that I had on hand for my SF4 arcade stick...yay peripherals!) underneath the legs and the pedals, it gets the job done all right. 
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2009, 03:10:28 AM »

I'm so glad this game is out. I could spend hours in the vinyl editor.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2009, 03:41:25 AM »

I sold my first design! The Checkered Camaro...

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2009, 08:37:49 AM »

Nice.

Man... they REALLY hit this one out of the park.  Forza 3 is flat out excellent.

LD

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »

Just picked this up cheap as part of a CoD:MW2 trade-in deal. My only Xbox racing experience has been with GRID. I'm a little intimidated by all of the options, cars, and tracks available in the game, but I'm going to dive in head first and see what happens.

FORRRRRZZZAAAAAAAAA!!!!

*spins out into a fiery crash
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2009, 12:54:58 AM »

Another fun day for me and Forza 3. I created several car designs and posted them to my Storefront. I also bought several Camaros on the cheap at the Auction House, put my designs on them and put them up for auction. I've sold a couple of them. I also sold one vinyl group which got me an achievement.

Oh, and I also did some racing  icon_biggrin.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: