http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 06:06:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza 3 Discussion and Impressions  (Read 24350 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2009, 12:30:37 AM »

Kotaku notes first DLC for Forza 3 may be new Ferrari 458 Italia.

That would make thirty Ferraris in the game. Yeah, I'll be getting this  nod

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2009, 12:40:59 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 24, 2009, 09:31:16 PM

Sadly I was rather underwhelmed with the demo. Yes, it looks great, but the handling... it just didn't zing! with me. I did manage to roll a couple of my cars  icon_biggrin but otherwise the crash graphics aren't anything outstanding. And am I missing something or is there no way to call up the damage display via the controller?

Also I notice that the cockpit camera can pan but not tilt. I guess with 400 cars that's understandable, but I'm going to have to keep my Test Drive Unlimited for some really great pan-and-tilt interior views.

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 25, 2009, 12:30:37 AM

Kotaku notes first DLC for Forza 3 may be new Ferrari 458 Italia.

That would make thirty Ferraris in the game. Yeah, I'll be getting this  nod

Wow, it doesn't take much of a carrot to steer you off a path, does it?   icon_wink

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2009, 12:50:55 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 25, 2009, 12:40:59 PM

Wow, it doesn't take much of a carrot to steer you off a path, does it?   icon_wink

Don't be a dick!   icon_twisted

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 25, 2009, 12:50:55 PM

Don't be a dick!   icon_twisted

Dude, I'm so excited for this game.  I only wish it had come out during the summer when I was unemployed.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »

I was going to get the game anyway, primarily because of the massive amount of content. I think that I had over-hyped it in my mind and so the demo seemed a let down. However, after some more time in it I'm pleased with it over all. For the somewhat negatives I mentioned, there's the positives of an absolutely rock solid frame rate, more assists that before, the cockpit view of course and the rewind system. I have to say that giving the player the ability to rewind as far back as he wishes is much better than the Dirt 2 system that relies on the player whacking the button early enough to be able to rewind back to where it would really do some good.

I guess part of the reason of my less than enthusiastic feeling about it is that the demo track isn't all that interesting. Yeah, lots of eye candy, but I was hoping to get a peek at one of the bigger venues.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2009, 08:51:54 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on September 24, 2009, 07:13:26 PM

2) The cars - all of them - seriously lack power when doing the uphill segment.  The JCW mini was all but unable to accelerate uphill from about 84 mph.  That ain't right.  The R8 wasn't a whole lot better and even the 911 cup car accelerated at a comparitively pedestrian speed up the hill.

I noticed this as well. The only thing I can think of is that the steepness of the grade is very deceptive. I've been on real roads with places like this before. Sometimes the terrain surrounding a road can do weird things to how you perceive an angle or a hill.

Once on a road in the mountains I had to actually put my car in neutral and let it roll backwards to prove to my brother that we were still going uphill. We were sitting in traffic and never going more than about five miles an hour, and he asked me why I was hitting the gas and not just letting the car roll forward. I totally got why he was confused. You really had to pay attention to the way your own weight felt sitting and shifting around in the car to catch that we were still going up a hill.

Granted, it's questionable if the game's graphics engine can really simulate this. I guess we'll see when we have some other tracks to try out.

Also: it's pretty cool having the game tell me I'm in the top 2% of drivers in a particular car on a particular track biggrin
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 09:04:14 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »

Excellent demo... except as someone said, the specific track really kinda sucks.  But you can tell the game is going to be great and polished.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2009, 05:43:39 PM »

Rumor monkeys are saying the full car list will be released next week.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2009, 01:34:38 AM »

the French version of OXM gave this game a 19/20

1st-notice its Official Xbox Magazine
2nd-notice they are French
3rd-who the hell scores games out of 20???...% all the way(then out of 10 if need be)..perhaps they are trying to be like Famitsu with their scores out of 40!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »

Hilary likes it

Forza 3 is one of those games that is going to get me to edit my friend's list. 

I hope we get a big turnout from GT and OO this year.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 08, 2009, 11:20:16 PM

Forza 3 is one of those games that is going to get me to edit my friend's list.

Same here. biggrin Make sure I'm on yours! Can't wait for some racing action! nod

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2009, 08:02:57 AM »

Sadly it looks like I won't be in this year.  Still unemployed and simply can't get it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2009, 08:38:43 AM »

xbox360achievements review-9.3

TeamXbox-9.5

Gametrailers-9.2

1up-er...A-

CVG-9.0

and ditto Hark,i will be adding this to my overgrowing list of 'eventually will buy'

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »

I finally got around to playing the demo, and I must say I wasn't that impressed. As others have said, the track they chose wasn't a very good decision. The biggest disappointment though is the cockpits, yes they're there but they seem very static - not sure how to describe it, but they're below any PC racing sim I have. It might be just missing from the demo, but is it even possible to glance sideways in these cockpits? As well, once I cranked up the AI to most difficult, they exhibited the same aggressive / out-for-blood behaviour they did in F2.

I think 1 of the problems is that I immediately played the NFS Shift demo after this, and IMO the Shift demo completely blows the F3 one away. If Shift allowed for deep car tuning and a more realistic car physics, I could see myself getting it. I also replayed the DiRT 2 demo and, although it's a bit of comparing apples and oranges, I felt it's the most realistic of the 3 in terms of simulating a driving experience. Anyhoo, I'm out for F3...maybe F4.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 09, 2009, 03:10:43 PM

If Shift allowed for deep car tuning

There is a pretty impressive set of tuning available in Shift. I already completed the career and sold my copy so I can't check the details, but the Advanced Tuning in Shift looked like all the necessary bits. The Simple Tuning is just accel vs top speed, oversteer vs understeer etc, but the advanced tuning had much more specific adjustments down to gear ratios and toe-in and all that crap I don't care about. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2009, 04:26:43 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 09, 2009, 03:15:59 PM

Quote from: kronovan on October 09, 2009, 03:10:43 PM

If Shift allowed for deep car tuning

There is a pretty impressive set of tuning available in Shift. I already completed the career and sold my copy so I can't check the details, but the Advanced Tuning in Shift looked like all the necessary bits. The Simple Tuning is just accel vs top speed, oversteer vs understeer etc, but the advanced tuning had much more specific adjustments down to gear ratios and toe-in and all that crap I don't care about. slywink

It's the car physics and AI abilities that concern me the most with Shift. With all difficulty settings on max I was able to place 2nd in both races in the demo 1st attempt, and that was with the standard controller. The AI seemed to be very poor at navigating turns and it was quite easy to overtake them there. Unless of course the actual game is that much more difficult and more realistic than the demo?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:10:31 PM by kronovan » Logged
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2009, 06:40:55 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 09, 2009, 08:02:57 AM

Sadly it looks like I won't be in this year.  Still unemployed and simply can't get it.

Fuck you.

You better get it.

It would be no exaggeration to say that this is my most anticipated videogame ever.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 09, 2009, 06:40:55 PM

Fuck you.

You better get it.

It would be no exaggeration to say that this is my most anticipated videogame ever.

Leave it to Ike to deliver the traditional sentiments regarding a near year of unemployment.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2009, 08:12:53 PM »

Fuck you.

You better get it.

Don't be a dick!

icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »

You girls better quit your crying.  I'll give you something to cry about.

Gamertag = IkeV
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2009, 01:06:04 AM »

Operation Sports weighs IN!

Good Lord, I'm getting excited for this.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2009, 01:17:01 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 10, 2009, 01:06:04 AM

From the review, one of favorite quotes:
I have logged 123 races in my time allotted for review; I have 30 cars in the garage after various career rewards and purchases; I have driven over 600 miles in classes F all the way through R -- and I am only 6.2 percent of the way through the career mode at level 24.

It’s that big.

Quote from: Lockdown on October 10, 2009, 01:06:04 AM

Good Lord, I'm getting excited for this.

Me too  icon_biggrin

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2009, 02:59:23 AM »

Fuck you.

You better get it.

frown  I'm trying my hardest to put this together.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »

Eurogamer-9/10

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »

I cannot wait for this. 

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »

Being unemployed is the perfect reason to get this.  It will provide hundreds of hours of entertainment for only $60.  It's like they're paying you. 

I am mostly upset that I have plans all 4 weekend nights in the 2 week block between F3's release, and that of MW2.  I wish they had released this during the summer when I was unemployed.

Dammit, Hark, you don't know how lucky you are!

Gamertag = IkeV
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2009, 02:43:14 AM »

I don't see how Hark can afford not to get the game.

Just think of the [insert thing that will make the above make sense] and it makes perfect sense.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2009, 11:06:16 PM »

Well I finally got around to playing the demo and I'm definitely sold now.  This is going to be a birthday present for me next month.  I loved Gran Turismo 1 & 2 and if Forza 3 even comes close to that, I'm going to love it.  Playing that demo race in the cockpit view was fantastic.

I can't say the limited edition excites me enough to spend an extra £20 on it, though.  Pity...I'm usually a sucker for limited editions.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »

Picked this up Yesterday on release day in the UK.

Managed just over an hour of play so far and have a few initial impressions of the full game.

First up is the game loads oh so slow. Installed both disc 1 and 2 to HD and it still takes ages to load races etc.

The menus aren't the greatest, a nice white colour but too much backing and froing between menus rather than having everything on a main page with lots of short cuts.

Graphically i love it, the tracks look superb and so do the cars. I admit i never play in car view so can't really comment on the in car look however the cars look great as well. A few of the tracks are repeats from Forza 2 but look a lot better and in some ways it was nice to have a few tracks i already knew to race along with learning others.

Career mode seems pretty good, select races on a calendar as well as weekly specials with better rewards and xp. I just wish they would flesh it out a bit more. No podiums or presentations, no qualifying and no head to head with opponents really. Be nice to have the odd nemesis that follows your career etc. Instead it seems very sterile. You win, collect your xp and car xp and move on. All very similar to Forza 2.

Now to the most important bit, the racing. Me I'm a play it on easy with most helps on normally. This time i have gone for medium skill level with custom settings making it 25% harder. I have had some 3 place finishes and plenty of wins but the actually driving is just superb. It feels good, when i don't win i feel it's down to my poor driving or under powered car rather than cheating AI so far. Some tracks have slow down bumps off the main track to prevent you cutting corners and it works well.

I have used the rewind feature a few times, mostly when taking the last corner and having the AI ram me from behind and pushing me off the track or getting interrupted by the wife and losing concentration. For me it's a great addition and i won't feel guilty using it.

There is a smart quick upgrade feature which is pretty useful. Say your car is an E125 and the race rules are a max E200 you can use the quick upgrade feature and it will pick the best ones to get it to the max for those races. This works well if you can't be arsed to tune every car you have up step by step. However i have found the Upgrade menus poor, confusing, too many button presses to get where you need to and so far it isn't intuitive at all.

Not tried the Paint side of things yet but it look better than Forza 2's.

Online i also haven't tried but the forums are full of complaints about set ups and lobby's etc.

So far I'm enjoying the racing side of it very much, hopefully the rest will just be a matter of getting used to.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:53:23 PM by Reemul » Logged

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »

Thanks for the impressions Reemul.  Sounds like Gran Turismo for Xbox.  I can't wait to get it! icon_biggrin

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2009, 03:16:02 PM »

Just got a racing wheel for my birthday!  Even more excited about the game now!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2009, 03:53:23 PM »

Wait, this is 2 discs? eek  How does that work if you're not installing?

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »

You don't have to install disc 1 or 2 but it recommends disc 2 for the extra stuff on it (which isn't available if not installed) Also there is a free DLC as well which is about 500 meg and includes  10 legendary cars and 18 more tracks. Disc 2 is 1.9 gig to install. Total install size is 9.1 gig. I only have a 20 gig HD as well so not too much space left with the other bits and bobs i have on there.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »

So, I picked this up at midnight last night. Installed the second disk and played for about a half hour. I didn't like how I did, so I deleted my save game and played for about an hour this morning. I got past the initial race with the Audi, and the first series (the European one). I picked the Citroen because it looked the least like the car my mom drives.

My initial impressions are limited. It is a deep flexible game, which is wonderful. I'm so far not crazy about the graphics. The scenery seems kind of plastic and sterile. The mountains look like they are made of clay, if you know what I mean. I appreciate that the engine is optimized to run at 60 fps, but it's not nearly as photorealistic as, say, GRID.

Does anyone know what the algorithm is for the auto-upgrade? Usually, if left to my own devices, I will lower the weight of the car, and then upgrade the tires. Obviously unsophisticated, but I don't know much about cars that I didn't learn from Gran Turismo. The auto-upgrade option obviously is a lot more sophisticated. But I noticed that I've got my default car up to D190 and auto-upgrade says that I have got it optimally upgraded. But I can manually upgrade it up to 199 just by spending 600 credits on the first weight reduction. So I'm wondering how that works.

I wanted to talk about difficulty settings. I've been monkeying around with them to try to get a set that works for me. It's always a balance for me of treating the SP campaign as a game in its own right, and as training for MP. I want my difficulty level to provide me with a challenging and realistic level of difficulty that forces me to learn the game, but also is forgiving enough to make it fun to play through the campaign at a reasonable pace.

Right now, I've got it set with all the assists off except for ABS braking, as I feel like it's too difficult to simulate proper braking. I'm forcing myself to use standard+clutch transmission, which requires some extra button presses and timing which are difficult with the MS wheel. I am trying not to cheat by using the rewind but I will restart over and over until I win the race. I've got the braking line on, but I'm not happy about it, and I'm debating what to do about it. I feel like the braking line helps to learn the track, but eventually becomes a crutch. I'm also finding the medium AI difficulty to be pretty challenging.

So, it looks to be a long day at work, and I'm very much looking forward to getting home to race some more.  Hark, you should pick this up.  Don't be a dick.

Wooo!

Gamertag = IkeV
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2009, 04:31:45 PM »

I got my copy just now, the Gamestop limited editions. I've installed both disks and am now downloading the DLC included in the game box. I also have a shiny new fob for my key ring and a 2GB USB drive, both with the Forza 3 logo  Roll Eyes. I'm such a pushover.

UPDATE: If you install disk 1 to the hard drive or not, don't install disk 2, just start the game. It will prompt you to install the contents of disk 2 from inside the game (which I am now doing for the second time  Roll Eyes)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 04:38:43 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2009, 04:47:21 PM »

That is correct.  I meant to say that I installed the first disk also this morning, and it makes loading times a little faster.  Loading times are still pretty long though, a minor complaint.

Gamertag = IkeV
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2009, 04:48:02 PM »

I would've gotten the limited edition if it wasn't Gamestop exclusive.  It was $20 more, except Amazon was also offering an extra $10 gift certificate on the regular edition.  While the extras might have been justifiable for $20, they totally weren't for $30.  Of course, between the ECA discount and Amazon's regular price dropping, I'm actually only paying $50 out of pocket, with the game arriving today, and a $10 gift certificate ready to be applied to the next game I order.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2009, 05:44:59 PM »

How much HD space for both disks?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2009, 05:45:24 PM »

Should get here this evening.  I'm likely up for some MP tonight.

gellar
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2009, 05:47:01 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on October 27, 2009, 05:44:59 PM

How much HD space for both disks?

I think about 9.1 GB.  I managed to free up about 12 GB on my ancient 20 GB hard drive last night by deleting everything I could.  So I've got some more room for DLC.

Quote from: gellar on October 27, 2009, 05:45:24 PM

Should get here this evening.  I'm likely up for some MP tonight.

gellar

Me too, most likely.  In theory, I'd like to earn some more cars.  But with MW2 coming out in 2 weeks, I suspect that the MP shelflife of this game will be unfortunately short.  I am definitely down to race this weekend though.  I have warned the gf, and cleared out Friday night.

DON'T BE A DICK!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:49:05 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: