http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 03:03:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forza 3 Discussion and Impressions  (Read 23501 times)
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »

Uh, wow... I wasn't expecting that significant of a visual upgrade. icon_eek

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2009, 08:26:08 PM »

I'm playing this today  thumbsup
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2009, 08:28:35 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 06, 2009, 08:26:08 PM

I'm playing this today  thumbsup

Bastard.  icon_twisted Tongue

So, tell us how it is. NOW. biggrin

Additionally - I think I just might grab this. I used to love the Gran Turismo series way back when, but I had a falling out on them. Forza looks like it just might grab me.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2009, 10:22:25 PM »

When Forza 2 came out, for about 3-4 weeks we had a full online lobby of 8 racers pretty much every night from 5-6pm EST to midnight or later.  Was an amazingly fun time overall.

Best thing ever is the ability to earn money for the career mode by playing online.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 06, 2009, 10:22:25 PM

When Forza 2 came out, for about 3-4 weeks we had a full online lobby of 8 racers pretty much every night from 5-6pm EST to midnight or later.  Was an amazingly fun time overall.

MP Forza 2 was one of the most fun XBL games to date so far.  There were a lot of funny ass moments and races.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2009, 10:31:41 PM »

As long as Ike isn't a dick
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2009, 10:36:12 PM »

I'm totally going to be a dick.  I also want to re-create my Watchmen car.  Or maybe the Luv Bug.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 11:09:04 PM »

Best thing ever is the ability to earn money for the career mode by playing online.

Agreed on all counts...some great moments driving then. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2009, 01:43:14 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on August 06, 2009, 10:26:07 PM

MP Forza 2 was one of the most fun XBL games to date so far.  There were a lot of funny ass moments and races.

100% agreed! I had a blast hurrying home from work and jumping into races with you guys. biggrin I hope we can get full races going again when Forza 3 hits!

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2009, 02:23:12 PM »

I get to blame my failures on me using the steering wheel, right?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2009, 04:01:15 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 07, 2009, 02:23:12 PM

I get to blame my failures on me using the steering wheel, right?

You can blame them on me practicing the PITT maneuver (how the hell do you spell that?) in the corners if you like. biggrin

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 06, 2009, 05:05:41 PM

I must admit, the vehicles and scenerey look very good. Is that cockpit shot of a parked car? Please tell me they've modeled the drivers arms and gloves.

Yes, driver's arms and gloves are in the game. I just saw this on the Forza 3 E3 video report on XBL.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2009, 09:08:52 PM »

Please tell me they let you choose from dainty girly hands to manly chun li hands and everything in between.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2009, 02:56:52 AM »

on page 1 i said that one of my problems with Forza 2 is that the AI never fight or screw up

please watch this video,at about 1.20..you see AI go off the track,the player is nowhere near him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NZv07kGzPE

and 1 minute 20 or so on this one as well,he goes off the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTQbSPw7ZoI

unless its online and thats why the drivers are going off ...but damn,i really can't wait for this now

its good watching someone else drive,because i get to look at the scenery,if i do that while playing,i usually drive of a cliff or something icon_confused

cockpit view(or whatever its called)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyhH7ef-Fjg&feature=related

looks hard that way icon_frown

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2009, 03:23:43 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 08, 2009, 02:56:52 AM

Yes please.

gellar
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2009, 03:27:49 AM »

I will be racing cockpit view all the time, every time. slywink

(I may even have some races where it's locked to cockpit view for all!  mwahaha!) 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2009, 03:43:15 AM »

I usually only race in whatever first person view is available, definitely preferring cockpit view over the bumper-cam. 

Nothing so far has beat the cockpit view from the Colin McRae/Dirt games.  It's harder because of less viewable on the sides/behind, but it's way easier to judge under and over steer from the cockpit.  Plus the sense of speed is way better too.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »

The rewind feature is a big seller for me. In the single player races in Forza 2 it would drive (hah!) me nuts after a long race to screw up the last corner and have to do it all over again. Fine, some folks are ultra realists and say this is part of racing, but I don't have the time to do this. Giving me a rewind option let's me play the game my way, which is what they said they are trying to achieve.

By the way, this is why I gave up on Fuel. I loved it at first, but it became a grind where I was required to win dozens of races at the hardest level in order to unlock the last few zones. No thanks.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2009, 05:54:25 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 08, 2009, 03:23:43 AM

Yes please.

gellar

Whomever is driving in that clip never met an early apex he didn't like.   icon_razz
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2009, 07:17:57 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on August 08, 2009, 05:54:25 PM

Quote from: gellar on August 08, 2009, 03:23:43 AM

Yes please.

gellar

Whomever is driving in that clip never met an early apex he didn't like.   icon_razz

I didn't know it was possible to make a Porsche understeer in such an extreme way.  That man deserves a medal.

gellar
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2009, 08:09:52 PM »

LOL icon_biggrin

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 23, 2009, 08:09:52 PM

LOL icon_biggrin

What's bad is that's the Gamestop I shop at. smile  I know exactly where that was sitting...I was standing off camera when it was taken.  We had a great laugh about it.  I don't know if it was in marketing materials that *all* Gamestops got, but it was in their pack.  It was great.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2009, 09:37:15 PM »

Demo incoming September 24th

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2009, 11:52:08 PM »

Great interview over on computerandvideogames.com. I saw some things of interest...

You have tonnes of assists and options, so what's the right way to play Forza?

Oh, I don't think there is a right way. Even myself, when I'm trying to hot lap I tend to be in first-person bumper cam and that for me is the most comfortable way to go fast. But when I'm trying to drift I always tend to be in third person because then I can really see the yaw in the car. When we've studied this in playtests we've found it's almost an even fifty-fifty split between third-person and first-person, and cockpit is almost unplayed.

But you've all spent so much time and money creating the in-car views... ?

And here's why - it's never played but it's always tried. In every car it's part of that car passion. We're a great simulation, we're a great racing game, and we do great things with user-generated content but that's not the reason for the game. The reason is to bring people together around cars, and part of that experience is the cockpit. Most people aren't gonna drive in cockpit but they're always going to check it out and maybe do a couple of half-laps in it before settling back to third-person or first-person.

You spent hundreds of man hours building something people will use for minutes?

But for that brief moment they're completely delighted

These people SO know me....  icon_biggrin

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2009, 11:57:02 PM »

While that was true back on 4:3 tv, playing games in HD widescreen makes cockpit driving views much more appealling. icon_biggrin

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2009, 12:05:45 AM »

I don't understand not using the cockpit views if they're well done.  One of my favorite things about racing games is driving from inside a well done cockpit view.  It makes me feel like I'm actually driving a car, rather than steering a fast-moving camera, or driving an RC car.  I plan to spend 100% of my time inside the cockpit view.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2009, 01:36:29 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 19, 2009, 12:05:45 AM

I don't understand not using the cockpit views if they're well done.

I've never been able to adapt to driving in cockpit view. It was always trouble when things got squirrely - and for me things often get squirrely. Now that I've said that, Need for Speed Shift was supposed to have the best cockpit view EVAR, so I decided to try it. I've gotten used to it and really enjoy it, except for drifting where it still seems pretty much useless. Needless to say, I will be giving cockpit view a chance in Forza3, despite never using it in the previous games.

I still think 3rd person view gives much better situational awareness, but you lose the sense of speed. cockpit view is good for immersion, but to me seems to make things more difficult.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2009, 01:58:32 AM »

Yeah, that's the inherent problem with driving games: your situational awareness is far more limited than what it would be in real life.  However, I think the third person cams give you too much situational awareness, and also make it very hard to judge turns, since the car is often at a different angle than the camera.  Plus you lose the sense of speed, which kind of defeats the purpose of going fast.  biggrin

That said, I always play Burnout games in third person.  When I'm constantly having to hit cars next to me and avoid cars coming from all angles, the extra situational awareness is pretty much mandatory.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2009, 04:52:16 AM »

with good force feedback and decent mirror placement cockpit views can work well. What we really need is a TrackIR system for the 360 slywink
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2009, 05:16:52 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 19, 2009, 04:52:16 AM

with good force feedback and decent mirror placement cockpit views can work well. What we really need is a TrackIR system for the 360 slywink

YES! If they can get Natal to do that, then they've definitely sold me one.  As long as they let me use my wheel for everything else.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2009, 08:30:32 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 19, 2009, 01:58:32 AM

Yeah, that's the inherent problem with driving games: your situational awareness is far more limited than what it would be in real life.  However, I think the third person cams give you too much situational awareness, and also make it very hard to judge turns, since the car is often at a different angle than the camera.  Plus you lose the sense of speed, which kind of defeats the purpose of going fast.  biggrin

That said, I always play Burnout games in third person.  When I'm constantly having to hit cars next to me and avoid cars coming from all angles, the extra situational awareness is pretty much mandatory.

Same here; I play arcadey racers like Burnout in third person, but more simulation/realistic racing games from a 1st person view. I got pretty comfortable with the cockpit camera in PGR3, but with the Gran Turismo and Forza games it's been bumper cam for me. I'm hoping that the cockpit cam in Forza 3 is playable, I'd love to stick with that view. smile

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »

I played the cockpit view in GRID almost exclusively and loved it.  Usually I'll play the dash view for the better situational awareness and sense of speed, but the cockpit views are looking much better these days.

Re F3, already preordered the SE.  I'm ready to be a dick!

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2009, 08:40:44 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 21, 2009, 08:08:32 PM

Re F3, already preordered the SE.  I'm ready to be a dick!

Fun times!
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2009, 12:38:39 PM »

Demo is now up and available for queuing.

Demo contents:

2009 MINI - John Cooper Works
2008 Mitsubishi - Lancer Evolution X GSR
2009 Ferrari - California
2010 Audi - R8 5.2 FSI quattro
2007 Porsche - #80 Flying Lizard 911 GT3-RSR

One track - Camino Viejo de Montserrat - Full Circuit
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:53:45 PM by Brendan » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2009, 06:35:24 PM »

i played the demo,it looks stunning,handles great...it was a cool demo

only problem was that the AI didn't seem any different from Forza 2(after seeing the videos and reading that it would be improved)..i pushed a car out of the way,and i span,and he went on..and same thing if he hits me when i am in his driving line,i spin he drives on

hopefully its only the demo,or it just didn't happen the way i described it somehow(IT BLOODY DID!!).....but it definitely a step up from Forza 2 anyhow

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2009, 07:13:26 PM »

Just spent an hour or so blowing off work to check out the demo.  Looks great, and it will no doubt be fun, and I'm certainly going to buy it, but a couple of quirks stood out to me.

1) The mid-engined car (R8) handles likes the steering wheel is in molasses.  It feels, to me, like the car is lacking some of the ease of rotation a mid-engined car should have, but I have no seat time in an actual R8.  OTOH, the JCW was hard to pull trailing-throttle oversteer out of, but WAS able to rotate under trailbraking, which matches my on-track experience with a JCW.  The cup car seemed to have a bit too much of the traditional 911 pendulum thing going on, but the "feel" was right, if that makes sense.  I've never driven anything like the Cali IRL (I think any comparisons to a Ferrari mid-mounted V8 are probably worthless), so I can't comment.  The Evo felt more or less like an Evo - no complaints there.  On the whole, I'd give the handling model a thumbs-up, with the (common to most sims, to be fair) caveat that the cars "feel" like they should given their known peculiarities.  Which is to say that the cars tend toward appropriate characteristics, even if those characteristics are sometimes exaggerated or muted.

1a) There is far too much R8 pimpage.  I hate that ugly-ass flying saucer looking car.  slywink

2) The cars - all of them - seriously lack power when doing the uphill segment.  The JCW mini was all but unable to accelerate uphill from about 84 mph.  That ain't right.  The R8 wasn't a whole lot better and even the 911 cup car accelerated at a comparitively pedestrian speed up the hill.

3) The sound - and there's a lot of it - just didn't seem "full" to me.  All growly treble and no bass.  That's probably ok for the JCW and the R8, and maybe the Ferrari California has been muted somewhat from Ferrari's typical V8 due to the intended market, but the 911 should sound bassy and mean.  Hell, even a street Carrera has a deep, uneven tone to it.  That's missing here, and I was running the demo through my home theatre setup with a full size Velodyne sub and a dedicated center channel.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 07:16:36 PM by Geezer » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2009, 07:18:45 PM »

Anyone know if there's a magical way to convert a circa Playstation 2 Logitech steering wheel to work with the 360?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 24, 2009, 07:18:45 PM

Anyone know if there's a magical way to convert a circa Playstation 2 Logitech steering wheel to work with the 360?
none that I know of, and it won't have the nice FF effects of the 360 wheel.  It really makes a big difference and is cheap now... do it!
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2009, 09:00:34 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 24, 2009, 08:24:55 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on September 24, 2009, 07:18:45 PM

none that I know of, and it won't have the nice FF effects of the 360 wheel.  It really makes a big difference and is cheap now... do it!

Yes, do it!

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2009, 09:31:16 PM »

Sadly I was rather underwhelmed with the demo. Yes, it looks great, but the handling... it just didn't zing! with me. I did manage to roll a couple of my cars  icon_biggrin but otherwise the crash graphics aren't anything outstanding. And am I missing something or is there no way to call up the damage display via the controller?

Also I notice that the cockpit camera can pan but not tilt. I guess with 400 cars that's understandable, but I'm going to have to keep my Test Drive Unlimited for some really great pan-and-tilt interior views.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: