http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 06:06:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forget Diablo III, Dragon Age is coming.  (Read 6630 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2008, 06:50:07 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on July 12, 2008, 06:33:43 AM

Quote from: Purge on July 12, 2008, 05:57:43 AM

Fuck. FMV prerender; no gameplay.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/9022.html#Content

Kinda weak.

That doesn't look like CGI to me... looks in-engine.

If it is pre-rendered CGI, t

then it's pretty shitty quality.

+1  that's not CGI, that's at the very most in game cutscenes. anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to upgrade their PC or get into consoles.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 06:51:57 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2008, 08:23:53 AM »

That's in engine, NWN2 cutscenes looked similar but with less detail.

It would have been smarter for them to show a seamless transition to and from a cutscene rather than this confusing video of some random battle that looks copied straight out of LOTR.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2008, 08:51:36 AM »

According to comments on the official forum, it's in engine.  They also claim it's going to look better later, due to upgrades in the engine.  Yeah, this game isn't coming out when they say it is if you ask me.

Better than Wednesday with the website reveal, but still pretty underwhelming so far.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »

So is it okay to go ahead and remember Diablo III again? Tongue
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 12, 2008, 06:21:48 AM

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA wtf @ bioware. are you freakin serious?

You spend a week with a stupid splash page which is announcing that youre making a trailer. then the trailer tells us NOTHING of the game at all. wow...

someone in PR needs to get fired. Boy, I bet their E3 announcements is the game has a dragon, that's aging and you must discover it's origins!

No kidding. That was the most underwhelming trailer I've seen. I just hope Bioware can make this game live up to their standards. Man, they need to take a page out of Blizzard's book when it comes to game announcements.  Tongue
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2008, 01:19:45 PM »

Wow. It takes skill to be that pathetically underwhelming. The game may still be good but BioWare has lost a lot of points this week for overselling, underdelivering and then trying to tell the fans/customers that it's our fault for having unrealistic expectations.

- Ash
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2008, 01:28:16 PM »

Silly me. I guess I don't get the nuance between in engine cut scene and pre rendered CGI. Okay, so it's a cut scene. Still tells us nothing about any gameplay what so ever. Hopefully we get more info next week.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »

I agree that Bioware really struck out twice this week. They should just keep quiet about the game (again) until they have an actual game to show or provide info for.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »

Quote from: JCC on July 12, 2008, 02:14:38 PM

I agree that Bioware really struck out twice this week. They should just keep quiet about the game (again) until they have an actual game to show or provide info for.

Agreed.

However, it does show that their in-engine stuff is quite impressive. Too bad it didn't show a single thing otherwise about the game itself.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2008, 02:33:13 PM »

you know, I wonder if that trailer was done that way to cater specifically to Spike TV's audience.  Still, they should have known better and done another one for the more discerning RPG players.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2008, 03:13:52 PM »

I expect that E3 will bring some hand-on impressions of the actual game. 
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2008, 07:13:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 12, 2008, 03:13:52 PM

I expect that E3 will bring some hand-on impressions of the actual game. 

I hope so, but I'm not optimistic.  If they can't even put up a gameplay screenshot, what makes you think they will have a playable build to show anyone?

I'm more and more convinced that this game is still a lot longer off than then "Q1 2009" date they are trying to sell.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2008, 07:20:03 PM »

While the PR has certainly been mishandled I don't see how any of this shows they don't have playable builds and/or screenshots ready.  Most companies are holding all of that for E3 next week.  I'm guessing they opted for the trailer that they did because in-game RPG gameplay footage can sometimes be dry and may not be suitable for the perceived audience of Spike TV. 

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2008, 07:51:27 PM »

Worst...trailer...ever  frown

And I'm a Bioware fanboy.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2008, 04:02:26 PM »

damn, we're waiting until at least early 2009:

EDMONTON, Alberta--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Leading video game developer BioWare®, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) today announced details of the highly anticipated dark fantasy Role Playing Game Dragon Age™: Origins which will be featured as one of the premier video games at the 2008 E3 Media and Business Summit, July 15-17.

As the spiritual successor to BioWare’s Baldur’s Gate™, one of the most successful role-playing games in the industry, Dragon Age: Origins represents BioWare’s return to its roots, delivering a fusion of the best elements of existing fantasy works with stunning visuals, emotionally-driven narrative, heart-pounding combat, powerful magic abilities and credible digital actors. The spirit of classic RPGs comes of age, as Dragon Age: Origins features a dark and mature story and gameplay.

“We’re thrilled to be returning to BioWare’s fantasy roots, with Dragon Age: Origins representing the culmination of over a decade of experience,” said Ray Muzyka, co-General Manager and CEO, BioWare and Vice President, Electronic Arts. “Dragon Age: Origins is a dark heroic fantasy that doesn’t pull any punches. Our fans are in for the most emotionally intense gaming experience we’ve ever created, and we hope to surprise them with just how dark and gritty it gets!”

BioWare will be demonstrating some of the compelling features of Dragon Age: Origins behind closed doors at E3, including:

• Epic Party-Based Combat – Dragon Age: Origins will introduce an innovative, scalable combat system, as players face large-scale battles and use their party’s special abilities to destroy hoardes of enemies and massive creatures.
        • Powerful Magic – Raining down awesome destruction on enemies is even more compelling as players apply “spell combos,” a way of combining together different spells to create emergent unique effects.
        • Deep Customization – Players will develop their characters and gain powerful special abilities (spells, talents and skills) and discover ever-increasing weapons of destruction.
        • Your Story, Your Way – With its emotionally compelling story, players choose with whom they wish to forge alliances or crush under their mighty fist, redefining the world with the choices they make and how they wield their power.
        • Origin Stories – Players will select and play a unique prelude that provides the lens through which the player sees the world and how the world sees the player. The player’s choice of Origin will determine who they are and where they begin the adventure, as they play through a customized story opening that profoundly impacts the course of every adventure.

Dragon Age: Origins is scheduled to ship for the PC in early 2009. For more information, the latest updates, or to join BioWare’s Dragon Age community, visit www.dragonage.com

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »

They also released a gameplay screenshot- looks like a modern update of Baldur's Gate (ie a good thing). 
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2008, 04:45:26 PM »

Players will develop their characters and gain powerful special abilities (spells, talents and skills) and discover ever-increasing weapons of destruction.

NO WAY!!!  SWEET!!!!   eek  eek  eek  eek  eek  eek

Do you think, maybe, that we will be able to use those abilities and weapons to kill monsters and stuff?  WOW!!!  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2008, 05:01:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2008, 06:50:07 AM

Kinda weak.

+1  that's not CGI, that's at the very most in game cutscenes. anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to upgrade their PC or get into consoles.

What I meant to say is that it's NOT in-game engine as there is no GAME. It's predetermined sequences recorded for story and if they ran it through their engine then bully for them; they could say they ran it through a coffee machine and I'd have no frame of reference to compare it to.

Freakin' percolated videos that show it as being a LoTR knockoff.

THIS SHALL NOT PASS (Purge's acceptability criteria).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:12:56 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2008, 05:06:19 PM »

Lets retitle the thread, "Forget Dragon Age, Diablo III at least has something to show."  disgust icon_mrgreen

Which doesn't mean Dragon Age won't be something special, but this really seems like a premature Public Relationculation...

Other than the isometric viewpoint, I never found much in common between Baldur's Gate (which I bought, but never much got into), and Diablo. They catered to pretty different audiences. I'm pretty sure it'll still be the case between these two now. I'm just not into bashign one in favor of the other, because I'd feel like I was saying apples taste better than oranges. Or, how about wine tastes better than beer. No, that's no good. Well, use whatever metaphor you prefer.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:15:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2008, 05:22:37 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 14, 2008, 05:01:36 PM

Kinda weak.

What I meant to say is that it's NOT in-game engine as there is no GAME. It's predetermined sequences recorded for story and if they ran it through their engine then bully for them; they could say they ran it through a coffee machine and I'd have no frame of reference to compare it to.

Then you shouldn't say 'prerendered' slywink  The word has a definition and the definition does not include real-time rendering.

/rules lawyering off
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2008, 02:51:41 AM »

i'm a little surprised noone else has mentioned greg zeschuk's supposed comment at the EA press conference that Dragon Age will be seen on consoles at some point "in the future."  i can't find the direct quote anywhere, but it's been mentioned at a number of reputable sites...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2008, 03:08:24 AM »

Yeah, I saw the comment.  Can't say it's surprising- Bioware's been porting their console games to the PC so it just makes sense it would go the other way.  I wouldn't worry about it though- that screenshot makes it clear that Dragon Age is going to have a very PC-centric interface. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2008, 04:12:01 AM »

here you go:

At EA's E3 press conference, BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk mentioned that the Dragon Age franchise would be coming to consoles in the future.

note he says franchise.  I'm betting that means Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance style games along with maybe a port of the PC game.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »

That E3 trailer was completely underwhelming to me.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 15, 2008, 02:41:39 PM

That E3 trailer was completely underwhelming to me.

+1

That trailer looks like a generic console RPG from 3 years ago. Bioware, did you see the Diablo 3 trailer two weeks ago? Now, THAT's a trailer!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2008, 04:03:35 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 14, 2008, 04:45:26 PM

Players will develop their characters and gain powerful special abilities (spells, talents and skills) and discover ever-increasing weapons of destruction.

Do you think, maybe, that we will be able to use those abilities and weapons to kill monsters and stuff?  WOW!!!  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup

I think I smell sarcasm...

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2008, 04:07:11 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 15, 2008, 04:03:35 PM

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 14, 2008, 04:45:26 PM

I think I smell sarcasm...

sorry, had kielbasa and saurkraut for dinner last night-  that may have been me.  Saw the new screenies, they look nice but felt boring.

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 15, 2008, 04:07:11 PM

Saw the new screenies, they look nice but felt boring.

Well sure they're boring now, they're still gathering their parties before venturing forth.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 15, 2008, 04:08:45 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 15, 2008, 04:07:11 PM

Saw the new screenies, they look nice but felt boring.

Well sure they're boring now, they're still gathering their parties before venturing forth.

I hear they're bringing in Gilbert Gotfried to do that part of the voiceover  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »

Here, have some screenshots. Seems to look pretty decent at least.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2008, 05:49:55 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 15, 2008, 05:21:05 PM

I find them odd. Some of them look like an updated 3D Baldurs Gate type game, and others look like a 3rd person RPG.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2008, 06:15:43 PM »

Quote from: JCC on July 15, 2008, 05:49:55 PM

I find them odd. Some of them look like an updated 3D Baldurs Gate type game, and others look like a 3rd person RPG.

I believe that once you switch into combat then you have the option of a BG-ish isometric view or you can use a more traditional 3rd person view, hence the variety of views present in screenshots. 
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2008, 06:25:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 15, 2008, 06:15:43 PM

Quote from: JCC on July 15, 2008, 05:49:55 PM

I believe that once you switch into combat then you have the option of a BG-ish isometric view or you can use a more traditional 3rd person view, hence the variety of views present in screenshots. 

That's basically the deal.  They are trying to make fans of the KOTOR/JE/ME perspective happy and make fans of the BG perspective happy with the same game.

Edit: Reading comments by devs on the official forums, it looks like the camera can be zoomed and rotated to a large degree.  So, you can basically play it however you want.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:54:23 PM by Sarkus » Logged

- American Dad
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2008, 02:00:21 PM »

Gameplay trailer is out. Looks like a combination of Mass Effect camera while running around with the ability to go isometric like BG when in combat.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53734
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2008, 02:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on July 17, 2008, 02:00:21 PM

Gameplay trailer is out. Looks like a combination of Mass Effect camera while running around with the ability to go isometric like BG when in combat.

Good thing they aren't releasing it soon because there are some serious frame rate issues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2008, 03:04:15 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on July 17, 2008, 02:43:47 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on July 17, 2008, 02:00:21 PM

Good thing they aren't releasing it soon because there are some serious frame rate issues.

I'm guessing they're at least 6 months away from a gold announcement so it's not surprising.  the gameplay did look pretty neat though, I'll have to watch it again when I get home for the audio.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 14, 2008, 05:22:37 PM

Quote from: Purge on July 14, 2008, 05:01:36 PM

Kinda weak.

Then you shouldn't say 'prerendered' slywink  The word has a definition and the definition does not include real-time rendering.

/rules lawyering off

If they ran an AVI file of game engine showing that crap, it's still not being rendered at the time of watching, hence it IS prerender. Tongue To take it one step further the fact that YOU watched it online and not rendered by the engine on your system real-time, it TOO is pre-rendered.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2008, 03:20:20 PM »

I am dissapointed in the fact that the game seems to contain no Dragons. Is it Dragon Aged? slywink

It looked entertaining but MOTS.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 17, 2008, 03:20:20 PM

I am dissapointed in the fact that the game seems to contain no Dragons. Is it Dragon Aged? slywink

the dragons are there, but they are also ninjas.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2008, 04:05:10 PM »

I hate ninja dragons.
Pirate dragons rule.

Anyways, this game, it doesn't make me forget about Diablo III.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: