http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:45:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forget Diablo III, Dragon Age is coming.  (Read 6612 times)
Jumangi
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2008, 01:29:43 AM »

Looks like Bioware will finally pull the cover off of Dragon Age in a few days...

http://dragonage.bioware.com/
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 01:35:14 AM »

cool...very curious to finally see more about this game.  unfortunately, i won't have a PC capable of playing it any time soon... icon_frown

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 03:08:17 AM »

Not really the same type of games - one's an action RPG and the other is a traditional party based CRPG
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 03:17:36 AM »

How long has this been in development? 8 years?  I remember being excited about it then, but it's taken so long that I've lost all enthusiasm.  I'm sure I'll buy it when it comes out, being an avid RPG fan.  However, I think Blizzard's recent policy is the way to go for AAA titles.  Announce your game after 4 or 5 years of development so there's only 1 or 2 left to wait.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 06:00:01 AM »

Quote from: ScubaV on July 07, 2008, 03:17:36 AM

How long has this been in development? 8 years?  I remember being excited about it then, but it's taken so long that I've lost all enthusiasm.  I'm sure I'll buy it when it comes out, being an avid RPG fan.  However, I think Blizzard's recent policy is the way to go for AAA titles.  Announce your game after 4 or 5 years of development so there's only 1 or 2 left to wait.

they definitely announced it too early- they officially announced it in 2004 with a supposed planned release in 2005, but now they're saying it will be out by April 2009. 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 07:05:20 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2008, 06:00:01 AM

they definitely announced it too early- they officially announced it in 2004 with a supposed planned release in 2005, but now they're saying it will be out by April 2009. 

You sure about that?  I read an article recently where they said they intentionally announced it very very early to pacify their PC fans who they knew woud be upset about the originally XBox only Jade Empire.  I'm pretty sure it was stated when it was announced that it was at least 3 years away.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 10:47:27 AM »

MMmmmm, I hope this comes out before Diablo III. I desperately want to play both, but I know DIII will absorb all of my available free time, like some sort of hideous yet strangely pleasurable leisure vampire.
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 12:29:25 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on July 07, 2008, 07:05:20 AM

You sure about that?  I read an article recently where they said they intentionally announced it very very early to pacify their PC fans who they knew woud be upset about the originally XBox only Jade Empire.  I'm pretty sure it was stated when it was announced that it was at least 3 years away.

That's what I remember too.  It was announced early for two reasons 1) to pacify the PC fans and 2) to give some information on what they were going to do after announcing they wanted nothing to do with D&D anymore.  Whenever it was announced it was going to be at least 3 years from then.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 01:30:18 PM »

Quote from: IceBear on July 07, 2008, 12:29:25 PM

That's what I remember too.  It was announced early for two reasons 1) to pacify the PC fans and 2) to give some information on what they were going to do after announcing they wanted nothing to do with D&D anymore.  Whenever it was announced it was going to be at least 3 years from then.

I seem to recall a 3-4 year delivery date after the announcement too. If pacifying their PC fans wasn't Bioware's intent in the original announcement, it certainly had that effect on the Bioware forums. If they're not making any more D&D games I hope that doesn't mean no more D20 based games. I really preferred the D20 based engines in KOTOR and NWN to those that were in Jade Empire and Mass Effect. I was hoping that DA might be a D20 based game.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »

Diablo 3 and Dragon Age are currently my two most wanted pc games. nod

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 07, 2008, 01:30:18 PM

If they're not making any more D&D games I hope that doesn't mean no more D20 based games. I really preferred the D20 based engines in KOTOR and NWN to those that were in Jade Empire and Mass Effect. I was hoping that DA might be a D20 based game.

They don't want to do any more games in a licenced system because they felt it restricted their creativity.  Since WotC owns the D20 engine, which is used in D&D, there won't be anymore D20 games from Bioware (and since WotC has moved on to 4E D&D, I doubt they'll want to see any D20 games made period).

From what I remember reading about Dragon Age, Bioware said that since they were no longer restricted to rules used by human beings for table top usage, they could use all the power of a computer for modelling combat (ie, instead of just using some simple modifiers to the attack roll with a bow and arrow (simple so they wouldn't bog down a pen and paper game), they could accurately factor in wind direction, weather conditions, etc to the attack roll as it did not need to easy for a human to calculate).  More importantly, if they wanted to put in some questionable moral decisions for the group, have a brothel, or kill off a major NPC, they didn't need to get approval from anyone (because, let's face it, D&D has a bad rep and putting sex and drugs in a CRPG based on D&D would be all the fanatics needed)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 07, 2008, 01:30:18 PM

Quote from: IceBear on July 07, 2008, 12:29:25 PM

I seem to recall a 3-4 year delivery date after the announcement too. If pacifying their PC fans wasn't Bioware's intent in the original announcement, it certainly had that effect on the Bioware forums. If they're not making any more D&D games I hope that doesn't mean no more D20 based games. I really preferred the D20 based engines in KOTOR and NWN to those that were in Jade Empire and Mass Effect. I was hoping that DA might be a D20 based game.

the 2005 date was mentioned in this article from Gamespy plus I remember seeing it on some lists for most anticipated 2005 releases.  If you look around you can see mentions of it being due for some time now.  Still, I have faith in Bioware, and it'll be something to tide me over until they get working on Jade Empire 2  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 02:47:45 PM »

I was looking around for the original announcement this morning to see if an actual date was mentioned.  I couldn't find it (google-fu is weak) but I did find a lot of posts from 2004 speculating a 2007 release date.  I also find it odd that in the summary at the top of the article you linked the release date is TBA but in the text the guy says 2005.  Makes me wonder if that was just his guess.  When I first heard about the game they were talking about using the linguists used in te LotR movies to make the languages used in this game more "realistic".  When they were talking about that level of detail, that pretty much told me the game was years away when announced.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:51:53 PM by IceBear » Logged
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »

All I know is I really want to play this and Wednesday will be a cool day. This was #1 on my list the day it was announced, even though I knew it was years away. I hope they put lots of info up. Funny but in all the DD like games, no one has really done Dragons that great. I suppose Gothic games came closest.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »

They announced it almost as soon as they had the idea down on paper to try and drum up publisher interest at the time.  You could tell because every single thing they put out about it prominently included something about how they didn't have a publisher attached.  I think I would be excited if I knew a single damn thing about it besides it being a Bioware PC RPG game.  We'll see on Wednesday.  No doubt they'll deliver.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 06:21:57 PM »

Hi Kathode! Looking forward to Fallout 3 as well. It's true that we don't really know a single thing about the game and I believe they made an engine change somewhere along the line. However to me "Bioware RPG"  and Dragon in the title are good enough. To me there is zero chance this isn't a good game. One can allways argue good vs great but I'm sure this will be fun.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »

I really see them as apples (Fallouts 1/2), oranges (Diablos) and mangos (Baldur's Gates). Other than isometric viewpoints, I didn't see much in common in how they played/felt. That said, I don't ever remember reading about this game at all so thanks for the heads-up and I'll keep an eye out.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »

Too bad GT was down yesterday or we could have all whined in here like they did at OO, over the lack of announcement.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 09:48:49 PM »

but we finally have the whole name!  How can you call that a letdown???? slywink

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 10:08:59 PM »

Quote from: JCC on July 10, 2008, 08:49:45 PM

Too bad GT was down yesterday or we could have all whined in here like they did at OO, over the lack of announcement.

There was an announcement.  Technically. 

- American Dad
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 10:29:39 PM »

[quote from dragonage.bioware.com today]

Dragon Age Trailer to Debut on SpikeTV

Dragon Age: Origins, the highly anticipated dark fantasy epic is set to debut on GameTrailers TV airing this Friday night at 1:00am on Spike TV and Spike HD. The trailer will be available in High Definition after it airs at gametrailers.com
[/quote]

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/9022.html#Content
It's not up yet.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:31:16 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 10:38:02 PM »

Dragon Age: Origins, the formerly highly anticipated dark fantasy epic is set to debut on GameTrailers TV (WTF!?) airing this Friday night at 1:00am on Spike TV and Spike HD. The trailer will be available in High Definition after it airs at gametrailers.com

It's not up yet.

Fixed.   Tongue

- American Dad
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 10:54:43 PM »

Yeah, I really don't understand why they'd put anything 'exclusive' up on the crap that is Spike TV.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 11:42:43 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 10, 2008, 10:54:43 PM

Yeah, I really don't understand why they'd put anything 'exclusive' up on the crap that is Spike TV.

because Spike TV is HARDCORE Tongue

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 11:50:03 PM »

The Gametrailers TV show is actually quite good.  The one redeeming factor for Spike smile  They get a good deal of exclusive stuff and seem to go visit another developer each week.  It's cool to see the offices and see some of the faces behind the games.  And no, I'm not biased at all that they'll be showing some Fallout 3 footage this week - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36000.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:53:53 PM by kathode » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 12:06:09 AM »

Quote from: kathode on July 10, 2008, 11:50:03 PM

The Gametrailers TV show is actually quite good.  The one redeeming factor for Spike smile  They get a good deal of exclusive stuff and seem to go visit another developer each week.  It's cool to see the offices and see some of the faces behind the games.  And no, I'm not biased at all that they'll be showing some Fallout 3 footage this week - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36000.html

No, I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.

slywink

- American Dad
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 12:16:18 AM »

Seriously though, it's a good show.  I used to watch it when it was called Game Head.  A lot of it is redundant if you follow games on the internet but they still manage to pull down a lot of exclusive stuff, and like I said, the site visits are cool.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 01:30:36 AM »

The show I used to love was Cinematech. I loved all the movies from games or game footage. That was the only thing I made a point to look for on G4 back when they were still the video game channel. I can't remember the last time I saw that show, but I have pretty much removed G4 from my "list of channels I click to".

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 11:41:02 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on July 10, 2008, 10:38:02 PM

Dragon Age: Origins, the formerly highly anticipated dark fantasy epic is set to debut on GameTrailers TV (WTF!?) airing this Friday night at 1:00am on Spike TV and Spike HD. The trailer will be available in High Definition after it airs at gametrailers.com

It's not up yet.

Fixed.   Tongue

Just because you let a snafu by the marketing people and forum monkeys upset you doesn't make your "fixed" true.  It's still going to be a deep party based RPG from a company that has a good track record for telling a good story (and most of that was back in the days where they weren't allowed to do anything really edgy because they didn't own the IP).  Thus, I would imagine it's still highly anticipated by many people, especially considering there's a World Builder with it (which is why it's probably taking them so damn long - if they drop the toolset it would probably be done by now)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 01:57:50 PM »

So, it's Friday. Where's my damn movie?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 02:07:52 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 11, 2008, 01:57:50 PM

They actually mean Saturday at 1:00 am. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »

I can make you one if you like.  the production value might be kind of low though....

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2008, 02:07:52 PM

They actually mean Saturday at 1:00 am. 

And only on SPIKE!!!!Eleventy11!!1 (and then other places afterwards)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 10:05:34 PM »

Quote from: IceBear on July 11, 2008, 11:41:02 AM

It's not up yet.

Fixed.   Tongue

Just because you let a snafu by the marketing people and forum monkeys upset you doesn't make your "fixed" true.  It's still going to be a deep party based RPG from a company that has a good track record for telling a good story (and most of that was back in the days where they weren't allowed to do anything really edgy because they didn't own the IP).  Thus, I would imagine it's still highly anticipated by many people, especially considering there's a World Builder with it (which is why it's probably taking them so damn long - if they drop the toolset it would probably be done by now)

The  Tongue was supposed to indicate I was being sarcastic.  Sorry.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2008, 12:38:50 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on July 11, 2008, 10:05:34 PM

Quote from: IceBear on July 11, 2008, 11:41:02 AM

It's not up yet.

Fixed.   Tongue

The  Tongue was supposed to indicate I was being sarcastic.  Sorry.

we all know what you really meant mister meanie!  so, has it already aired?  it was Friday 1am 20 hours and change ago....

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2008, 05:57:43 AM »

Fuck. FMV prerender; no gameplay.

Kinda weak.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2008, 06:21:48 AM »

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA wtf @ bioware. are you freakin serious?

You spend a week with a stupid splash page which is announcing that youre making a trailer. then the trailer tells us NOTHING of the game at all. wow...

someone in PR needs to get fired. Boy, I bet their E3 announcements is the game has a dragon, that's aging and you must discover it's origins!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2008, 06:31:03 AM »

Well that video didn't do a damn thing for me. I would have much rather seen some actual gameplay then some silly movie.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2008, 06:33:43 AM »

Quote from: Purge on July 12, 2008, 05:57:43 AM

Kinda weak.

That doesn't look like CGI to me... looks in-engine.

If it is pre-rendered CGI, then it's pretty shitty quality.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2008, 06:48:11 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on July 12, 2008, 06:33:43 AM

Quote from: Purge on July 12, 2008, 05:57:43 AM

Kinda weak.

That doesn't look like CGI to me... looks in-engine.

If it is pre-rendered CGI, then it's pretty shitty quality.

There is no way in hell that was in engine. And that showed nothing of actual gameplay. Wait all week for that? What a joke. The entire marketing staff should be sacked.  And the CGI was boring as well. Oh well, maybe some real details will be revealed next week. Can't really tell a thing about the game from this.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: