http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 02:29:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the love of god: Help me find an RPG  (Read 2285 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2005, 10:22:32 PM »

Ok guys, Im desperate. I need an RPG. I was chatting with LE recently and he had some helpful ideas, but I am going to list what I have and like and don't like and see if I can solicit some opinions. I am just desperate for a good RPG right now.

I just got in Suikoden 4 and tried for half hour and quit. I was reading reviews for it before I got it, saw how it played, and its going back to gamefly tomorrow. I remember not liking S3 much after playing it for 10 hours or so, but I am thinking about giving it another try. Now, keep in mind I REALLY dont like action rpgs, so I hated the couple hours of tales of symphonia I played and the same with Star Ocean 3.

So anyways, for next gen consoles, my favorite RPG without a doubt is FFX. In fact, I love games that play and have a style similar to that game. I really like them a lot.

So far, it seems like I am sort of not very compatible with SRPGS. LE sent me phantom brave, which I am playing as I type this, and I got Disgaea again from Gamefly-but the 30 more mins I put in with it today were very meh.

Here is what I have tried recently:
SH: Covenant: About halfway through. Gave up. Dont really want to try it again-characters were silly, story was all over the place, game was going nowhere.
Suikoden 4-its going back. Its just plain meh.
Disgaea-thinking I am going to send this back and concentrate on Phantom Brave since I own it.
Star Ocean 3: Hated it. Hate action RPGs.
Tales of Symphonia: See above, not to mention inane annoying kiddie story.
Okage: Played it for a few hours. liked it, put it down, have never gone back to it. Hard to get back into
Xenosaga: Played for several hours, kind of like, but insanely long cutscenes that seem like they are much longer than actual play time totally turned me off and I quit.
SKies of Arcadia: Got halfway through on DC and GCN and somehow lost interest. Stupid ass insane random encounters frustrated me greatly both times.

Older RPGs:
FF9: Stuck at the big castle. Cant seem to get into it again
Chrono Cross: Second run throuhg of that stupid castle. Dont like a lot of the characters, stroy very juvenile.
FF8: Just played the intro
FF7: Can never get past the 5th or 6th area.
Xenogears: Never tried
Vagrant Story: Never Tried
Valkyrie Profile: Never Tried.

Any thoughts? Help? Ideas?I am desperate for a new RPG!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 10:33:58 PM »

Maybe Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne?  I haven't played it but I hear consistently good things about it.  Supposedly it's quite "different" (but in a good way) from other CRPG's.  I'd get it but my backlog is a mile deep and a mile wide right now.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 11:02:42 PM »

Maybe Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne? I haven't played it but I hear consistently good things about it. Supposedly it's quite "different" (but in a good way) from other CRPG's.

what he said...

i'm a major ff fanboy myself, & was very disappointed in symphonia & sh:c, but smt:n, given time (& it does require time - it is pretty 'different'), really grew on me - customizing the demons is challenging (warning: this game can be very hard til you get the hang of it, & even after that occasionally), never boring, & rewarding...

&, as much as i'm not fond of 'action' rpgs either, i had a surprisingly great time with paper mario 2. very funny, fun game - a close to perfect gaming experience...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 12:07:06 AM »

Well you probably  won't like  Vagrant Story or Vallkyrie Profile because they are more action RPGs

And you really are ruling out most of the rest of what is out there....this is tough.

I would give Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne a try I guess

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 12:11:11 AM »

Wow.  That's a big list of RPGs you don't like... are you sure you actually enjoy Role Playing Games? :lol:

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 12:15:50 AM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Wow.  That's a big list of RPGs you don't like... are you sure you actually enjoy Role Playing Games? :lol:

s

Yeah seriously, that's a HUGE list of RPGs that you dislike.  And it's kind of hard to see what exactly you WOULD like.

I love the older FFs, FFVI and FFIV, and Chrono Trigger as well.  If the "oldness" doesn't get to you, then you might like those.

Vagrant Story I would assume you wouldn't like.  Action orientated, have to switch weapons practically from battle to battle, meh.

Valkyrie Profile is an action rpg, but I loved it.

Are you sure you want a RPG to play?  Seems like a whole lot of good ones you've quit on.  It's tough to recommend any due to what you think about more recent'ish RPGs.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 02:39:54 AM »

Since you have Gamefly, you can try out RPGs fairly easily.  So try out:

Wild Arms 3 -- comes closest to a PSX-style RPG of any PS2 RPG I've played.
For that matter, try to track down the original Wild Arms, or wait for the remake coming out in April/May.

Grandia II -- I'm playing it on the Dreamcast and it's a nice change from FF-style interactive movies.  It's turn-based but has a fast-paced feel.  No major cinematic cutscenes, just some shorter in-game cutscenes.  I like it.

I also like the Arc the Lad games on the Playstation.  I haven't tried the PS2 Arc game, though you might give that a try.

On the other hand, Gamefly might be the cause of your problem.  No RPG is perfect, of course, but when you spend your own money on one and can't send it back, you're more inclined to learn to live with its foibles.

Of course, I'm not practicing what I'm preaching here.  I've spent my own cash on plenty of PS2 RPGs and most of them haven't grabbed me at all.  You just might not be a fan of PS2 RPGs.  Maybe you should consider going back to the previous generation and spending your time there.  I'm certainly considering doing that myself.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 03:47:42 AM »

Although SMT: Nocturne is a great game I'm not sure its for you.  Its very combat oriented and relatively story and character-lite (though both are unique) and very *unlike* FFX.  You might be better off waiting for Digital Devil Saga- its set in the same universe as Nocturne and is more story-oriented.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 03:53:09 AM »

Ok. Let me make one thing clear, as far as I know, I still love RPGs, and I always have. I certainly won't deny that I tend to be...overly picky and give up on RPG's too quickly. That is a failing, and I am not sure why I have allowed myself to get so impatient, although to be honest I think that it has become a problem with me for all games. I have gotten so far into the "entertain me" aspect that I seem to want and need instant gratification. Now, always, no breaks in between. I really do not know why, but it is of course killing my enthusiasm.

Let me go ahead list some of the current generation of RPG's that I really, really liked just so we have a baseline here:

SW: KOTOR
SW: KOTOR 2
Morrowind
Final Fantasy X (obviously)

Games I am willing to try or try again:
SMT: Nocturne
Suikoden 3
Okage
FFIX
Xenosaga
Valkyrie Profile
LOTR: The Third Age

Anything else you suggest.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 05:55:50 AM »

Please come back to WoW Rage, we miss you. frown

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 07:05:55 AM »

In terms of battle style, LoTR : The Third Age is most similar.  Overall, I'd say FF8 is the closest to FFX, although the battle system is quite different.  You can see the roots of much of what they pulled off so well in FFX in FF8.  I'd also recommend Arc the Lad : Twilight of the Spirits.  It's turn-based and the story is serious.  It's sometimes labelled as a strategy RPG, but it's much more along the lines of a traditional RPG with a larger battle area.  
You might also want to check out Digital Devil Saga, coming out next month.  It's an offshoot of the Shin Megami Tensei series, but it's supposed to have a greater emphasis on story, at least from what I've read.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 12:27:13 PM »

I'd personally skip The Third Age. It's really nothing but battle after battle after battle, on rails. There is really no real character interaction, no real towns to visit, you get all your loot in chests and of monsters...to me, it just seemed like one long turn-based battle. I enjoyed the first 5 or so hours, but then when I realized 'this is it' I nearly gave up. I think I continued on to get about 45% of the game done before I quit. Maybe things change later, I don't know. If all you like to do is fight, maybe you'd like it.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 03:21:48 PM »

Honestly, looking at what you like in this generation, I would suggest looking at some more PC RPGs.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 08:21:02 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Honestly, looking at what you like in this generation, I would suggest looking at some more PC RPGs.

Im pretty sure I have exhausted the PC rpgs. I know many liked the Gothic series. Not I. Awful controls, terrible graphics, clunky combat and a boring made for germany story with a bad translation. However, I have played or replayed many times:
BG
BG2+TOB
ID
ID2+HOW
PS:T
Vampire(the new one, got 3 quarters through before the bugs got me down)
Morrowind
KOTOR
KOTOR 2
Arcanum
etc etc. I think I have played just about all of the big PC rpgs of the last 10 years or so.

I think, I am going to look for a used copy of Suikoden 3, I gave FFIX an hour last night and plan to give it more today.I would also like to find this Valkyrie Profile game, and I would very much like to find a copy of Xenogears (if anyone knows where to get the newer GH copy, please let me know!!)

I am also thinking about Nocturne. Sounds interesting. Thanks for all the help so far.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 08:35:48 PM »

Have you played any of the more recent Might & Magic games?  The graphics aren't great, but they're a lot of fun (VI - VIII anyway; I never got around to trying IX).

How about Ultima IX?

For quite a while the Gamestops in the area were carrying the GH version of Xenogears in the PSX games bin for $17.99: new and unwrapped, sold as used.  You might check there.  Otherwise you should be able to get it online for $20 or less, but shipping may bite you.

unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 09:04:50 PM »

My two bits:

Like you, Rage, I think I've reached a point where I need constant gratification from my games, including RPGs.  And I don't think it's about a lack of patience or appreciation for the "finer" points of the genre, it's about a lack of free time.  My game time these days is limited, my backlog of unplayed games is immense, I am easily distracted, and I see no reason to tolerate slow, boring, and/or frustrating games - or even good games that just have long stretches of blah in them - when I could be having actual fun playing something else.

There's nothing wrong with being picky - even finicky - in your RPG tastes, either.  I like Chinese food, but I don't like every damn restaurant I go to - hell, I don't even like every dish at good restaurants.  You are allowed to have standards, y'know, and to reject anything which doesn't measure up to them - no matter how arbitrary your tastes may seem.  There's a difference between being a fan of the RPG genre and being an RPG slut who'll play anything with the words "LEVEL UP" in them.  Tongue  And RPGs are notoriously repetitive, often burdened by simplistic combat systems and high random encounter rates, making for excessively tedious grinds for my tastes.

So, as for thoughts on actual RPGs:

Grandia 2: This is actually one of my favorite RPGs of the last 5+ years.  Fast-paced combat system that's actually fun, decent (if cliched) story which moves at a good clip, nice art (though some don't care for the squashed character designs) - it was just one of the most fun RPGs I've ever played.  Plus it's dirt-cheap now, though new copies can be hard to find.  I hear the PS2 version had some slowdown issues; I played the original on the Dreamcast.  Also a PC port.

Grandia Xtreme: Mostly preserves the same great combat system as G2, but it's much more of a dungeon crawl.  The plot is even more simplistic and cliche-ridden than its predecessor, the characters are less likeable, the dungeons are less interesting - it was just a pale shadow of G2, IMHO, but still fun, especially if you like G2's combat system.

SMT Nocturne: I rented this recently, tried it for a couple hours, but I couldn't get into it.  I really like the sharp stylized graphics and the novel setting (Modern-day Tokyo after a demonic apocalypse? Sweet!).  But the random encounter rate was insanely high IMHO (I was able to finish the original Skies of Arcadia, if that gives you any indication of how much I can tolerate), the combat system felt like the same old routine (apart from the monster-recruiting angle), I didn't care about the whole demon leveling / combining / collecting aspect (complicated character customization systems only appeal to me if I actually like the combat system, which I didn't), and by all accounts it's a dungeon crawl with a fairly lightweight story, so I wouldn't be doing much else but fighting and demon-gathering.  It's garnered a lot of praise elsewhere, so I seem to be in the minority on this, but...meh, just didn't care for it.

Xenosaga II: Haven't tried it myself, but reviews seem to indicate they've toned down the excessive cinemas, at least.  Ironically, though, they also seem to have simplified the mechanics of the game, making the actual gameplay less interesting.  Still, might be worth renting to see if the changes appeal to you.

Baten Kaitos: I rented this as well and found it kinda bland - not bad, just kinda generic post-FF7 fantacrap RPG.  Still, the graphics were nice and some people like the card-based battle system - so again, might be worth checking out.  [Besides, not like there are a surfeit of RPGs on the GCN, are there? Tongue]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 11:08:28 PM »

Quote from: "Qbe"
Have you played any of the more recent Might & Magic games?  The graphics aren't great, but they're a lot of fun (VI - VIII anyway; I never got around to trying IX).

How about Ultima IX?

For quite a while the Gamestops in the area were carrying the GH version of Xenogears in the PSX games bin for $17.99: new and unwrapped, sold as used.  You might check there.  Otherwise you should be able to get it online for $20 or less, but shipping may bite you.

Qbe, I  have been scouring the bargain bins lately, the only thing they have is mountains (and I mean insane numbers) of FF IX (did the publish like 10 million copies of this?), ChronoCross, FF8, and FFT-all of which I have.

If you find a copy of Xenogears, pick it up and sell it to me smile I will check ebay today for a copy too.

Valkyrie profile in particular seems nearly impossible to find.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005, 11:23:04 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

I refused to pay the $60-80 Valkyrie Profile was going for on E-Bay.  I searched for VP for literally years before a buddy found a copy at Gamestop.  That used copy ran me $40, but I broke down and bought it because I had to see what all the hype was about.  Ended up spending a grand total of 8 hours with it before I was bored to tears.  I really don't undestand why it's talked up so much.  Thankfully I was able to unload it on E-Bay for $65.

Unbongwah put it very well.  I love the RPG genre, but I've found myself enjoying fewer and fewer of the newer games.  I guess I simply don't have the time or patience for them any more.  In the past couple months I've been through Growlanser Generations, Xenosaga II, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, Paper Mario 2, Shin Megami Tensai, and KotOR 2.  The only one that I got more than halfway through was KotOR 2, and even that was a struggle to finish.  It's tough to really get into something when you can only spend an hour at a time playing it.  

However, when you do find that 'one game' that really hooks you (the most recent for me was the Shadow Hearts series), it makes the frustration of all the other games worth it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2005, 02:28:30 AM »

Qbe, I  have been scouring the bargain bins lately, the only thing they have is mountains (and I mean insane numbers) of FF IX (did the publish like 10 million copies of this?), ChronoCross, FF8, and FFT-all of which I have.

If you find a copy of Xenogears, pick it up and sell it to me smile I will check ebay today for a copy too.

Check out the Amazon sellers.  You can get it for around $20 shipped.  I don't think that anyone near me has it any more (at least, they didn't yesterday) and even if they did, it'd cost more than that.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2005, 02:32:03 AM »

I found a used copy at a local Hastings believe it or not and snatched it up for $35.00 a summer ago.  Then that summer I played through it and it ranks up there with my all-time favorites.  I then sold it to someone on here . . . and then a couple of months ago I just had a hankering to get it again.  So I won some Ebay auction for it, played it through this time on Hard Mode, loved it again, and then just recently sold it on here.

I don't know, the (though limited) norse mythology in the game I liked . . . and I liked how every character you recruited died either to BE recuited or just, well, died.  I also really enjoyed the battle system where you had to work at getting crystals for extra exp and for treasure.

Plus hey, the Valkyrie, Lenneth, I really liked.  She's so bad-ass it's not even funny!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2005, 04:22:15 PM »

Rage-

I have a copy of Xenogears (not a GH version) I would be willing to trade.  Its in very good condition.

Valkyrie Profile is probably the best Playststion PRG ever, with the exception of Suikoden 2.  I don't think there is anything you'll really enjoy left to try on the PS2 at this point in time. You seem to share the same sentiment as my closest friend. He is an RPG junkie, but the PS2 has been a serious letdown for him.  He ended up trading it in out of frustration.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2005, 07:44:59 PM »

hey, Rage,

here's an idea - maybe you don't really dislike "action RPG's",  but just hack-and-slash ones?  if you liked Morrowind, maybe you'd like Arx Fatalis...  it's the one that everyone tells Morrowind lovers to play.  it's not nearly as big, or as good, but i still enjoyed it - and it's probably cheap.   Arx has a similar mix of exploring, collecting, and fighting as Morrowind does, although it's not as open-ended (what is?) or graphically pretty - as a matter of fact, you need to like brown, tan, and gray.  bear in mind that i never played Morrowind on the PC, just on the Xbox, and the same with Arx.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2005, 09:09:57 PM »

Hey Myto, Thanks for the tip. I remember trying Arx but not giving it much time. I will think about that.

For now, just as an update to whomever might care, I have bought Suikoden 3 again, and started over and am trying that with a more open mind.

2 hour impressions: Um..not sure yet. I like parts of it, the story seems like its goign to get invovled, but so far I have noticed the graphic are awful and the combat is so-so. Im hoping things pick up as I get further into the story.

My next game will be Xenogears if I can get it in a trade with Rampanther, and Final Fantasy IX immediately before or after Xeno.

I do appreciate all the advice so far. I decided to hold of on SMT:Nocturne because of the crazy random battle talk.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2005, 07:21:20 PM »

Ok. I got Suikoden 3 again. I still dont like it. The graphics are awful, the combat is not fun at all, the story is ok, and its just not worth my time. I am going to get back into Final Fantasy IX, return S3, get some old ps1 quality time and wait for the next great thing to come my way smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: