http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 08:21:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3/PC/Wii U]Batman:Arkham Origins  (Read 8170 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2013, 11:18:55 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 25, 2013, 10:27:32 AM

Some of the early reviewers are knocking points off for some of the safe gameplay.  It's just Arkham City 2.0..  That's a good thing I guess.  Fired it up on Steam this morning prior to going to work... Game looks damn impressive.  Glad I decided to go with PC for this game

the map looks huge.  I had to quit after getting to the city last night, so I didn't get a chance to see how huge.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »

All of AC's map is at the top of the map, and it looks like the lower half is just as large. 

Played a little more thanks to being west coast and it has all the markings of AC,  plus it now has the random crimes you can stop and the towers you need to unlock fast travel. It doesn't seem littered with joker trophies though. Many of the ones I've found are just like AC's.   

I cab see why this is getting lower ratings as its very much like AC with small improvements. I'm enjoying it so far.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 25, 2013, 12:40:07 PM

I cab see why this is getting lower ratings as its very much like AC with small improvements. I'm enjoying it so far.

I get the impression that the ratings aren't lowered because it rehashes old concepts (which can be fine. I mean, look at the FPS genre), but because it does so in a way that reeks of being a quick cash-grab (though one with passionate talents behind it). Just my impression based on the reviews I've read and my own knowledge of the game. I haven't actually played the game myself.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »

I played through the first boss fight last night (on PC). Unfortunately during that fight the sound completely cut out and the boss actually went invisible at times toward the end. Then the cutscene that came after beating the boss had no sound. Sound came back after that. Hopefully just a fluke.

Even though this is supposed to be shortly after the Batman origin, it feels like this doesn't take place very long before AA/AC. All the technology is the same.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 25, 2013, 12:40:07 PM

Played a little more thanks to being west coast and it has all the markings of AC,  plus it now has the random crimes you can stop and the towers you need to unlock fast travel. It doesn't seem littered with joker trophies though. Many of the ones I've found are just like AC's.

you mean Riddler riddles?  I miss those from the first one, but I think they put so many in they kind of blew their wad.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 25, 2013, 01:39:06 PM

Even though this is supposed to be shortly after the Batman origin, it feels like this doesn't take place very long before AA/AC. All the technology is the same.

I'd have to say the bat computer looks a bit more dated, and I'd even say his costume looks bulkier, as if he hasn't aerodynamicized it yet.  It's bulky and unwieldy looking:

Origins:

Asylum:

also, it isn't very long before Asylum.  it's only 5 years before.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »

yeah, that's what I meant.  Unless they've hidden them away in even harder to spot areas, I've been unable to see any more than a handful at one time.  in AC, you could spot a dozen at most vantage points at any time.  

The reviews are saying that the sidequests are almost more content than you need.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2013, 04:03:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 25, 2013, 03:32:57 PM

also, it isn't very long before Asylum.  it's only 5 years before.

Ah OK, that makes sense then. I was surprised that they had drones and memory card readers and stuff. I thought it was going to be a lot farther in the past.

I like the costume, btw, it looks more armored like a real-life Batman would have.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:06:24 PM by Teggy » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2013, 04:48:54 PM »

some pics from last night.  click for big screen view

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2013, 05:20:03 PM »

Bah. Getting the cut sequence playback slowness bug on the PC. Basically the cut sequences stutter along at a slow pace while the audio plays on. Then after the audio finishes you watch a black screen for awhile then can start playing. Rest of the game plays fine (can almost have everything all the way up) but once the cut sequences start playing it just brings the game down. Looks like it has to do with DX11 and turning off DX11 will fix the issue. Have yet to try it but if anyone else is running in to the same issue here's the solution I grabbed from a post. I'll probably just wait for the patch to fix it:

Here's what I did:
1. Browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Batman Arkham Origins\SinglePlayer\BMGame\Config" in Windows Explorer.
2. Open "BmEngine.ini" in notepad.
3. Search for the "AllowD3D11" setting and change it to "False".
4. Search for the "AllowD3D10" setting and change it to "True". (I don't know if this is necessary though.)

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »

thankfully, no issues with the game, either performance wise or bugs.  reading that there are some glitches

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »

Definitely waiting for the bargain bin for this one. I liked Arkham Asylum significantly more than Arkham City.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »

WBID Busy...   

Can't lay cause I'm stuck at that screen... Did internet search advice full restart or turn off internet

Shitty DRM in effect...

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2013, 07:17:48 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 25, 2013, 07:15:02 PM

WBID Busy...   

Can't lay cause I'm stuck at that screen... Did internet search advice full restart or turn off internet

Shitty DRM in effect...

These games always manage to make a scene with their DRM. The first one had the infamous "I keep falling to my death when gliding through this part of the tutorial" DRM thing to embarrass pirates, which wasn't a problem in itself. The second one had Games for Windows Live, which caused me to play the game for two hours before I realized it wasn't saving anything I was doing, forcing me to exit, manually reinstall GFWL and replay everything I had played up to that point.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2013, 08:55:16 PM »

the first one had GfWL too.  Thankfully it's gone now.  didn't realize the WBID was DRM though, I thought signing in was optional.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2013, 09:48:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 25, 2013, 08:55:16 PM

the first one had GfWL too.  Thankfully it's gone now.  didn't realize the WBID was DRM though, I thought signing in was optional.

I thought it was, it was just to get the extra skin.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2013, 04:07:09 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 25, 2013, 05:20:03 PM

Bah. Getting the cut sequence playback slowness bug on the PC. Basically the cut sequences stutter along at a slow pace while the audio plays on. Then after the audio finishes you watch a black screen for awhile then can start playing. Rest of the game plays fine (can almost have everything all the way up) but once the cut sequences start playing it just brings the game down. Looks like it has to do with DX11 and turning off DX11 will fix the issue. Have yet to try it but if anyone else is running in to the same issue here's the solution I grabbed from a post. I'll probably just wait for the patch to fix it:

Here's what I did:
1. Browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Batman Arkham Origins\SinglePlayer\BMGame\Config" in Windows Explorer.
2. Open "BmEngine.ini" in notepad.
3. Search for the "AllowD3D11" setting and change it to "False".
4. Search for the "AllowD3D10" setting and change it to "True". (I don't know if this is necessary though.)

Turning off DX11 did work for me. But you know what else worked even better? Turning off Crossfire and just using one GPU. The game runs faster and with the DX11 effects, and PhysX effects enabled. Get a bit of slowdown on big groups but its temporary.

This is the first time I've bothered with a Crossfire/SLI type setup in one of my computers and its continually disappointing. There's only a few games I've played that I've seen a nice boost. Otherwise the single card does just fine. Would have been better to spend the money on a single faster card. Ah well.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2013, 02:03:28 PM »

PC Burnley Tower bug  -  Don't attempt till patch as you won't be able to get out

http://www.gameskinny.com/xhmdi/batman-arkham-origins-burnley-tower-glitch-other-common-bug-issue-fixes
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:15:15 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »

they have a small workaround in that article now.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »

I feel stupid. I just got done fighting Deathstroke and can't figure out how to get out of the room. All doors I go to are locked. I don't see any vents. I imagine exiting has to due with the new utility item but for the life of me can't figure out what I need to do.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2013, 08:06:01 PM »

did you try detective vision?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »

aha!  read the rest of that article Soulchilde posted, and was hoping there would be a way to skip the intro logos:

Skip Steam Intros

And lastly... this is not exactly a bug, but it is very annoying. The opening intros for the game are very long, very annoying, and completely unskippable.

Go to Steam Library
    Right-click on Batman: Arkham > Properties
    Add this to launch options: -nostartupmovies

straight to the start screen from now on!

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 26, 2013, 08:06:01 PM

did you try detective vision?

Yeah, I tried everything.

Turns out it was a bug. When I came back a door that wouldn't open initially then opened.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2013, 11:28:31 PM »

Been playing both this and the Vita of Blackgate.  This game is definitely a "more of Arkham City", but I am actually okay with that.  I've been enjoying it for what it is and it's fun to run around as Batman.  I like the crime reconstruction thing they added...has been fun.

Blackgate is also enjoyable as well.  Scratches that Metroidvania itch for me and I like that you can tackle the areas in whatever order you choose. 

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2013, 02:10:19 AM »

WELP after 13 hours of gameplay between yesterday and today, my game froze probably 4 times, glitched out three more times where I had to restart a mission because of some weird clipping bug or scripting error, and the last freeze finally did it. Save file is corrupt.

We're hitting up WB now, but man, this review will probably not be very kind.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2013, 03:35:18 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 26, 2013, 07:47:22 PM

I feel stupid. I just got done fighting Deathstroke and can't figure out how to get out of the room. All doors I go to are locked. I don't see any vents. I imagine exiting has to due with the new utility item but for the life of me can't figure out what I need to do.

Did you try to go after Penguin?   Once you do that just leave the way you came in

NiM$
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2013, 03:49:57 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 27, 2013, 03:35:18 AM

Quote from: Crawley on October 26, 2013, 07:47:22 PM

Did you try to go after Penguin?   Once you do that just leave the way you came in

Yes. It was a bug. The door you are supposed to go out after that sequence triggers does not open. Once I exited the game and tried the door a second time it opened.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2013, 03:54:07 AM »

I've come across two of those Level 3 security locks where you use your little decoder utility item (e.g. move the thumb sticks to the right locations till they vibrate to enter the code). The problem with these L3 ones is the first time I lock one of the passwords I get disconnected from the Bat Computer and have to start over again. I don't know if this is telling me that I need something else I haven't come across to decode these level 3 locks or I'm just doing it wrong.

I had the idea that I have to get the codes at the exact same time. But haven't been able to pull that off. And its frustrating enough to have to start over that I'd rather not have to keep trying that technique if its pointless right now.

So what do you need to do?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2013, 03:54:42 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 26, 2013, 11:28:31 PM

Been playing both this and the Vita of Blackgate.  This game is definitely a "more of Arkham City", but I am actually okay with that.  I've been enjoying it for what it is and it's fun to run around as Batman.  I like the crime reconstruction thing they added...has been fun.

Blackgate is also enjoyable as well.  Scratches that Metroidvania itch for me and I like that you can tackle the areas in whatever order you choose.  

Yup, I'm playing Blackgate too and it is a fun little game.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2013, 07:04:34 AM »

haven't seen any bugginess yet, but the voice of Batman is off just enough to be noticeable.  The Deathstroke fight was very cool though, although a bit random.  It took me 3 tries, the first one I wasn't sure what the heck to do, the second I had him most of the way but he kept doing some weird unblockable attack, and finally I made it, but:

Spoiler for Hiden:
when I beat him he never did the whole grappling hook propane tank bomb move even though he used it 3 or 4 times in the previous 2 attempts.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2013, 12:32:40 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 27, 2013, 03:54:07 AM

I've come across two of those Level 3 security locks where you use your little decoder utility item (e.g. move the thumb sticks to the right locations till they vibrate to enter the code). The problem with these L3 ones is the first time I lock one of the passwords I get disconnected from the Bat Computer and have to start over again. I don't know if this is telling me that I need something else I haven't come across to decode these level 3 locks or I'm just doing it wrong.

I had the idea that I have to get the codes at the exact same time. But haven't been able to pull that off. And its frustrating enough to have to start over that I'd rather not have to keep trying that technique if its pointless right now.

Have you obtain the Disruptor yet? 

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »

On 360.  I"ve played for several hours (though mostly pissing out the map, collecting the blackmail bits and bataranging the sensors).  It is more of the same, for sure, and a buggy mess (I've had hard locks at least 3 times), but it still scratches that Batman itch.  Plus, I've been impressed with the story more than I expected.  They also do a really good job of framing Bats well against appropriate light sources (like the big ass moon), which adds to the desire for me to say "I'm Batman" which I have to admit I didn't feel as strongly in the last one (of course the last one wasn't as much of a coding mess).

I've heard a lot of people complain about the batvoice, so maybe my expectations were supremely low, but I think he's decent. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »

Yeah, I had a hard lock yesterday when I was playing and it was during a Save (little icon was spinning and it said Save).  I was really worried I was going to have a corrupt save, but lucked out.  The game had kind of gotten choppy in spots and one time when I called the fast travel, it showed all of it without sound.  I was thinking I should probably save and then restart about a minute before it happened.  Will definitely keep my eye out for the behavior because I really don't want to have a corrupt save.  At the very least on the PS3, I have a daily backup of the save, so I wouldn't lose a terrible amount.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2013, 04:21:12 PM »

only ran into one glitch and it was a useful one.  random crime mission where some of the usual gangs joined in.  As I was fighting, I realized that nobody was attacking me.  I should have used that to get my multiplier up high but they were actually too far apart to make it easy and the counter kept resetting.  it did not happen again when I went to the next group of randoms. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2013, 07:04:34 AM

haven't seen any bugginess yet, but the voice of Batman is off just enough to be noticeable.

That's funny, I didn't think the Origins Batman sounded off but thought the Blackgate one did, and it's the same guy. What happened to the normal Batman guy?

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 27, 2013, 12:32:40 PM

Quote from: Crawley on October 27, 2013, 03:54:07 AM

Have you obtain the Disruptor yet? 

Nope. So that's what I needed to know, if I needed an extra item to get past those locks.

So I can keep playing rather than banging my head against the wall trying to open those.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 27, 2013, 05:24:27 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2013, 07:04:34 AM

haven't seen any bugginess yet, but the voice of Batman is off just enough to be noticeable.

That's funny, I didn't think the Origins Batman sounded off but thought the Blackgate one did, and it's the same guy. What happened to the normal Batman guy?

he's supposedly working on another Arkham game.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2013, 10:26:28 PM »

just ran into the radio tower issue.  what makes it even more annoying is that, if you look, there are plenty of spaces Batman could be able to attach the grapnel to and just skip the room altogether.  Instead, the designers had to make it a 'challenge'.

ps.  I love the takedown where you throw batarangs at all the enemies who are on the ground, makes combat a breeze.

Because I can,
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2013, 10:28:28 PM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704251
Originally Posted by TDLink

Based on the OT the following things could be surmised about this version:

Best framerate on consoles. They all have some frame drops but Wii U seems to have the least. Overall it seems to be Wii U > 360 >>>>>>>>>>>PS3 in this regard.
    No screentearing on Wii U.
    Better lighting on Wii U compared to PS3/360.
    All versions have glitches, including game breaking bugs but Wii U has less glitches than 360, PS3, or even PC with apparently no game breakers present. Including being able to actually do the Burnley tower correctly.
    Plus Off TV Play.
    Plus Map on the GamePad.
    Plus Achievements Posting on Miiverse.
    Minus Multiplayer.
    $10 less.

Overall, of the 4 versions, it seems like Wii U may be the best version while PS3 is definitely the worst for now.

Anyone get the Wii U version? I was going to wait for a price drop, but that thread also has a side by side 360/WiiU gameplay and the Wii U really does look better. May get it sooner than later.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2013, 11:01:55 PM »

Is this bug getting patched on Steam?  I've been playing Blackgate and maybe I'll wait to go back to AO.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: