http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 01:04:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FNR3: Official Lockdown Knockdown Tourney (Sign up here)  (Read 12887 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 07:10:39 PM »

Out.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2006, 07:16:36 PM »

I'm absolutely awful with TPC and don't find it fun at all, but if you guys want to go that way, I'll give it a go.

I'd obviously prefer to use Config 5, but I won't quit if you force me to suck with TPC.

gellar
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 07:49:29 PM »

Definitely all for a Config 1 contest.  We could set up a seperate, lesser belt for all the Facebutton McGee's out there.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2006, 07:51:07 PM »

My main issue with TPC is that it doesn't seem to know when I want to cross rather than jab (or vice versa).  It handles hooks and uppercuts just fine... but man, it sucks at the jab/cross.

gellar
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2006, 07:56:15 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
My main issue with TPC is that it doesn't seem to know when I want to cross rather than jab (or vice versa).  It handles hooks and uppercuts just fine... but man, it sucks at the jab/cross.

gellar

I agree with you there Gellar but the game is seriously unbalanced if both sides don't use the buttons. We can try one Tourney (this one) with TBC and then the next one Config 3.

How does that sound?

To be honest, TBC is alot more fun then buttons. I just feel more like I am throwing punches with it then just mashing the buttons like every other fighting game out there.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2006, 07:58:04 PM »

gellar

Odd for me, I have no problem with Jabs/Cross, but rather have a tough time with hooks and uppercuts.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2006, 08:09:27 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

Odd for me, I have no problem with Jabs/Cross, but rather have a tough time with hooks and uppercuts.

Ditto....especially uppercuts.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2006, 08:22:04 PM »

If we are forcing only TPC then I'm out.  I can't stand to use it.

To each there own

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2006, 08:22:23 PM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"

gellar

I agree with you there Gellar but the game is seriously unbalanced if both sides don't use the buttons. We can try one Tourney (this one) with TBC and then the next one Config 3.

How does that sound?

To be honest, TBC is alot more fun then buttons. I just feel more like I am throwing punches with it then just mashing the buttons like every other fighting game out there.

I'm good with whatever you guys decide.  I just want to fight smile

gellar
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2006, 08:52:30 PM »

One thing is for sure... if you (we) decide to impose Config 1, we should wait for the fallout to see who's left and reassign the brackets.

We should really wait to hear from everyone (in the tourney) on this issue.

I'm with Gellar, whatever you decide is fine with me.  I just want to fight online with someone older than 12 that I sort of "know".

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2006, 09:37:18 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
One thing is for sure... if you (we) decide to impose Config 1, we should wait for the fallout to see who's left and reassign the brackets.

We should really wait to hear from everyone (in the tourney) on this issue.

I'm with Gellar, whatever you decide is fine with me.  I just want to fight online with someone older than 12 that I sort of "know".

Bah, you are just trying to get out of an opening round meeting with Lamotta!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2006, 10:43:48 PM »

ninja

Crap... he's on to me!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2006, 10:56:26 PM »

ninja

Crap... he's on to me!

Dude I am all over you.  I am gonna take you out like Kimo took ouit Palmer... like Porter took out Peyton.  You are going down!  You can't handle Lamotta!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2006, 10:59:04 PM »

You just let me know when you are ready to fight and I'll bring the gloves and my cans of whoopsass.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2006, 01:20:46 AM »

* * * FIGHT RESULTS * * *

As is customary here in the Sports Forum, the loser will post the results of the fight.  As expected, I got my ass handed to me by the Great Arkon, and shall post the highlights.

Jake Lamotta vs. Marvelous Marvin Hagler

It was decided to fight this street brawl in the Warehouse, very befitting the two power punchers.  Also, neither Arkon nor myself really wanted many people watching us, even if they were animated computer controlled fans...

The fight started off with Hagler trying to work the ring, establish a jab, and stay away from the rock hard fists of the Bronx Bull.  Lacking true speed, Hagler eventually got pushed into the ropes, and what would become a sign of things to come, took a nice beating along the ropes as the stones, I mean hands, of Lamotta began to do their damage.  Back and forth the fight went for the first 4 rounds, the fighters splitting rounds and judges score cards down the middle, as punches and counters were exchanged.  After 4 rounds, the biggest difference between the two pugilists became apparant:  Stamina!  Hagler had thrown 386 punches, landing about 58% of them.  Lamotta threw 512 punches, landing about 52%.  At the end of round 4, as the bell rang, Hagler would be the recipient of his first of 4 knockdowns!

Rounds 5 and 6 would see Hagler get battered and bruised by the relentless attack of the Bronx Bull, going down once in each of those rounds.  The fight was getting out of hand, with the only shining light for Hagler being a gash he had opened on Lamotta's left cheek.  This would lead to an unexpected event in the 7th round... a furious uppercut to the chin by Marvelous, sending Jake reeling back and woozy.  Too tired and bruised to capitalize, Hagler could not finish the job.  Although he won round 7, it was simply too little, too late for Hagler.  Round 8 proved uneventful, as both fighters attempted to regain sorely needed stamina.  

And then, barely one minute into round 9, Marvin Hagler heard the crack of thunder.  A thunderous punch that is.  A right hook to the body, followed by a left cross to the head by Lamotta sent the Marvelous One down to the canvas, not to get up again.  Jake Lamotta, (to add insult to injury), singing the Rocky theme into his headphones as the knockout barrage began, walked tall as the referee counted to 10.  Standing above his opponent, arms raised, bleeding profusely from his nose, mouth, and cheek, Jake Lamotta will move on to round II of the Lockdown Knockdown Tournament.

Some interesting stats:

Punches Thrown/Landed:  MH: 543/313 (57%) - JL: 1010/531 (52%)

Lamotta LANDED 330 Jabs alone!!!!  More than Hagler had landed total punches.  I have never seen so many punches thrown round after round after round, and I do not think I was prepared for it at all.  

- - -

Great job by Arkon, and I wish him all the best as he continues on the road to Grand Champion![/b]

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2006, 12:48:58 PM »

You know.... perhaps you shouldn't refer to yourself as marvelous anymore there.  

And of course you forgot my poorly done impersonation of Rocky, calling out... Adriane.... I LOVE YOU!!

I must admit tho, you took one hell of a beating but kept getting up.  You must have a lot of practice getting up off the canvas.

biggrin  biggrin

The fight was an absolute blast.  I really thought I was done for in the 7th round.  Hagler had opened a nasty gash over my left eye and kept catching me with big shots to the cut.  He had me reeling towards the end of the seventh but a timely clinch got me out of the round.  Then came the eigth round where I threw a very low amount of punches, mostly just counterpunching after parrying a shot to my left eye.  Managed to make it out of the 8th without taking much abuse and got some much needed rest and was able to close up the cut and reduce all of the swelling.  By the start of the 9th round, both Hagler and I were looking much worse for the wear, Hagler's hands hanging low at his midsection, barely able to get them up to protect his head, I knew the time was right to finish him off.  This time there was no getting up from my flurry of hits.

---------------------------

Most importantly, I had a lot of fun.  We had a lot of chatter going on during the fight and win or lose I knew it was going to be a blast.  Thanks to Lockdown for being a good sport, even when I was singing the rocky theme.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2006, 01:10:54 PM »

I agree.  I had a total blast also.  This game is just simply a shit load of fun.  The flash punches keep it fun even when things are looking bleak, as you know there is always that chance, albeit very small, that one punch can quickly turn things around.  Round 7 of our fight was a great example of this.  Arkon's fantastic clinch really saved what could have been a big tide-turner.

This game is just so perfect for multiplayer.  And thanks again for the great fight!  Other than you completely ruining the 'Rocky Theme' for me from this day forward, I had a great time.

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »

I agree.  I had a total blast also.  This game is just simply a shit load of fun.  The flash punches keep it fun even when things are looking bleak, as you know there is always that chance, albeit very small, that one punch can quickly turn things around.  Round 7 of our fight was a great example of this.  Arkon's fantastic clinch really saved what could have been a big tide-turner.

This game is just so perfect for multiplayer.  And thanks again for the great fight!  Other than you completely ruining the 'Rocky Theme' for me from this day forward, I had a great time.

Ruined it!!!  I perfected it.

biggrin
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2006, 04:05:07 PM »

Did you guys play with TPC?  Also, did we decide what the rules were going ot be regarding TPC?  I suck using it, but would agree to play even if we use it (I haven't tried the buttons yet, so could be I suck with those as well).  Come to think of it, maybe the reaosn some people find the game so easy is because they use the buttons and not TPC.  I believe my match scheduled is against coop who said he won't play if we do TPC.

What's the ruling?

Also, Devil, you haven't confirmed my Friends invite on XBL.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2006, 04:07:40 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Did you guys play with TPC?  Also, did we decide what the rules were going ot be regarding TPC?  I suck using it, but would agree to play even if we use it (I haven't tried the buttons yet, so could be I suck with those as well).  Come to think of it, maybe the reaosn some people find the game so easy is because they use the buttons and not TPC.  I believe my match scheduled is against coop who said he won't play if we do TPC.

What's the ruling?

We used TPC.  I don't know what was officially decided but we decided to use TPC/Config 1.

In the end I just want to have fun, which is what I had in my bout with Lockdown.  I mean it isn't like anything truly is at stake in this tournament aside from some bragging rights.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2006, 04:12:11 PM »

Keep in mind, I not only suck in video games, but life itself.
I'll get in there tonight.

biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2006, 07:52:40 PM »

Ok, sorry guys for not posting the results from the poll sooner but I had to deal with somethings last night and I started going back to the boxing gym too.  biggrin

Here is the results:
Devil (Devil) - TPC
Booner (KnucklesWhite) - TPC
Lockdown (Lockdown) - TPC
Scoop20906 (Tiredchimp) - TPC
Arkon (Arkon262) - TPC
Gellar (TehGellar) - TPC
Clanwolfer (KeySJU) - TPC
DiscoJason (The Grue) - TPC

tru1cy (Soulchilde) - out
coopasonic (coopasonic) - out

Knightshade Dragon (Gaming Trend) - No answer (I am going to assume he is in unless he says otherwise)

It looks like we have lost two people for this tourney but the next tourney we will make it config 3 and see how that goes but lets finish this one out first. I have re-done the brackets but as you can see we still have an odd number so I am nominating lockdown to fight twice and fill the remaining bracket. Up for it, bud? Check out the first post to see the new brackets and I am already counting the  Arkon vs lockdown fight and results for that are up.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2006, 08:01:33 PM »

Sure, I'm up for it... but the ONLY reason you nominated me is because you want me to go down in history as the only person to ever lose twice in a single elimination tournament!

But hey... you have to be known for something I guess!   :?

LD

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2006, 08:03:19 PM »

Works for me.  When do you want to do this, Ron?

gellar
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2006, 08:07:28 PM »

Hey discojason, I am up for a fight tonight. Around 8:00pm? I will have on 360 on tonight so just contact me and I will pop the disc in and whoop up on your ass.  :twisted:

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2006, 08:19:47 PM »

If you guys want, I can get another pugilist for our tourney.  My coworker is a big fightnight fan and wouldn't mind getting in on the action.  His gamertag is jallowe1453.  I will try to have him register on the forums and post.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2006, 08:28:42 PM »

So this means I have to lose to Ponch!!???

I'll go down swinging! A LOT of swinging!!

Whenever you're ready...

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2006, 08:40:13 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
If you guys want, I can get another pugilist for our tourney.  My coworker is a big fightnight fan and wouldn't mind getting in on the action.  His gamertag is jallowe1453.  I will try to have him register on the forums and post.

Devil, I will leave it up to you whether you would prefer fighting Lockdown or jallowe1453.

Arkon, since we already started the tourney, if devil decides to knockdown lockdown, then please invite your friend for the next CONFIG 3 tourney.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2006, 09:19:40 PM »

Will do.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2006, 12:42:35 AM »

Ark - How good is the new guy? So good that I might learn something?

I'll never learn anything from Poncho.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2006, 12:53:14 AM »

Learn THIS !!!!

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2006, 01:17:54 AM »

I'm surprised you can count that high!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2006, 03:23:00 AM »

He is pretty good, usually kicks my ass soundly in just about anything we play.  And hey I learned something from lockdown... I learned it is possible to get the final knockout blow, while playing one handed, other fist raised in the air, as I sang the rockey theme song over the headset.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2006, 06:16:51 AM »

Hey discojason, I am up for a fight tonight. Around 8:00pm? I will have on 360 on tonight so just contact me and I will pop the disc in and whoop up on your ass.  :twisted:

And kick my ass he did.  He was very kind though and we played a warmup match since I haven't played very much where he gave me some good pointers.  I definitely improved because of my game with him, so maybe one day I will get decent.

I don't remember too much about the match since I am very sick right now, so maybe he can fill us in on the details.  I think we went 6 rounds and I forget which boxer he picked.  I went with Leonard.  The judges gave him every round we played and I think he knocked me downabout 4 times.

Thanks for the help, Scoop.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
jallowe1453
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2006, 08:23:12 PM »

This is Arkon's co-worker.  My gamer tag is jallowe1453.  I would not mind joining your little tornament.  But if you decide not to let me in, I would not be offended.  But will note that you are scared I might kick all you arse's (bad UK joke).  As for tbe TPC, that is all I use since that is the way the game is designed to be played.  I hate button mashers.

I don't know what boxer to use since I have not looked at the middleweights yet, but you could pick one out of a hat and it wouldn't matter to me.  I will still throw my bombs into your kidneys and grille.

FYI...in career mode heavyweight class I am 19-1 with 19 KOs. This is on medium.  No fight has lasted past the 6, and that was aginst Ali.  The loss was to James Toney who cut me and the refree stopped the fight, none the less a fight I was winning and almost KOed Toney....stupid refs.

Anyway, enough about me.  I can play most nights, Monday and Wednesday not until after 10.  But would need to schedule something so I know I am available.  Weekends are usually bad for me.  I do have a life.  LOL!!!
jallowe1453
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2006, 08:34:14 PM »

After looking at the boxers.  If you let me in I would choose Suger Ray Robinson.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2006, 08:39:58 PM »

jallowe - Send me a friend request and we'll get this over with quick.  biggrin

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2006, 08:52:14 PM »

That's the spirit Devil!!

Have you decided who you will be using to loose so gracefully?

And if you want devil, I could always beat up on you for a few rounds in the mean time to get you ready.

biggrin  biggrin
jallowe1453
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2006, 08:52:29 PM »

Devil -

I will not be home until Sunday.  Damn girlfriend has to live almost an hour away.  But if you would like, we can schedule something for Sunday night.  LMK.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2006, 09:07:49 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"

And kick my ass he did.  He was very kind though and we played a warmup match since I haven't played very much where he gave me some good pointers.  I definitely improved because of my game with him, so maybe one day I will get decent.

I don't remember too much about the match since I am very sick right now, so maybe he can fill us in on the details.  I think we went 6 rounds and I forget which boxer he picked.  I went with Leonard.  The judges gave him every round we played and I think he knocked me downabout 4 times.

Thanks for the help, Scoop.

Hey DiscoJason, sorry to hear you are sick. The fight was enjoyable but it wasn't very fair considering I have been playing this game almost every night for a week now and Jason just started playing but he took too it quickly and he protection got better or I just suck. He was jabbing well with Leonard but he was unable to work the counter. I know we all know how that feels. I took him down in the 6th round but still was a fun match. Looking forward to facing him again once he has some ring time under his belt.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: