http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 04:05:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: flight sim question  (Read 1072 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2004, 08:40:16 PM »

What's the best, available-in-stores, flight sim? I just got a new joystick (do we still call them that?) and wanted to pick up a new game. I'd prefer WWII, but am open to almost anything with guns. A good manual would be a plus, as I am pretty new to this genre. Thanks for your help.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 10:02:59 PM »

IL2: Sturmovik  (Pacific Fighters is the latest version of it, Forgotten Battles is the second)

Definitely the best of the WW2 flight sims I've played.  The manual isn't so hot, though.  So I'd suggest spending some time on the forums, they usually have links to good sites.

The difficulty is also very scalable, so you can play it as an arcade shooter, a full on realistic sim, or somewhere between.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 12:45:13 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I'll look into those.  Something that can evolve from arcade to sim sounds excellent.
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 03:49:23 PM »

IL 2 is simply stunning, very well supported and has a great community.  

Throughly recommended.

I'd say start with IL2:FB (Forgotten Battles( and the AEP Expansion (I think you can get them together in a gold pack) or go for Pacific Fighters, if you'remore interested in that theatre.

Best,
Onnel
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 06:40:59 PM »

Lock On is a very good modern combat sim.  Graphics are incredible.  It is not very beginner friendly however.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 07:02:01 PM »

Combat flight simulator 2/3 and MS Flight Simulator 2004 are also good.  Microsofts Civilian flight sim is actually very good....

Hardcore simmers definitely prefer IL2 over combat flight simulator, but IL2 can very hard to access for arcade and or casual gamers.

So take yer pick.

For just flying around having fun, i prefer CFS2/3 and Flight sim 2k4 over IL2.

Flight sim 2k4 is to civ flight what IL2 is to WW2 fighter combat.  Very realistic.

If you REALLY wanna have fun with a joystick, check out Independence War II: Edge of Chaos.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 07:14:32 PM »

I love the flight dynamics of both Lock-On and the IL-2 offerings, but the worlds are so soul-less that I lose my enjoyment of them fairly quickly. They both give a fairly true to life sensation of flight (minus the bumps), but they feel so bland after a few missons.

Falcon 4.0 was the last modern air sim campaign to get my juices flowing, not rookie friendly because of it's very accurate systems modeling, but a forgiving flight model. If F4 and LOMAC had a baby...I'd be a very happy camper.

All-in-all, I'd have to say IL-2:FB would be your best bet Vinda-Lou. One bit of advice I would give you is not to 'dumb' it down...go ahead and crank up all the realism and jump in with both feet. You'll save yourself the trouble of shedding bad habits later on down the line.

If you want to get into the theory of flight and of air combat,  Tailspin's is one of the best resources on the net. Send me a P.M. if you have any questions and I'm sure I can help you out.

Good Luck. smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: