http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:44:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage [360]  (Read 2415 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2007, 09:08:05 PM »

As was rumored a few months ago, Bugbear is working on an all-new version of FlatOut for the 360 due out this June (or so).  I am a pretty big fan of the previous games (and I know a couple other people around here were, too) so this is good news for me.  Here are some of the details on what they are cranking up for this release:

The game will be able to handle 12 cars on screen (up from eight in FlatOut 2), over 8,000 dynamic objects per track (compared to 5,000 in FlatOut 2), and 20,000 polygons per car (FlatOut 2 cars used 7,500 polygons). Ultimate Carnage will include five new single-player modes, and two new multiplayer modes will be available over Xbox Live. Widescreen and 720p support are also included.

So far it is only being announced for the 360, but considering the previous games were multiplatform (PC, XBox and PS2) I think it might be safe to assume that this one will be, too.  At least at some point. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 11:54:33 PM »

hmm...should be interesting to see how it compares to the next Burnout game...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 12:43:28 AM »

Quote from: disarm on February 03, 2007, 11:54:33 PM

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Burnout 5 is currently aimed at an early summer release also.  I'm curious to see where this next Burnout goes, though, since they are supposed to be making it an open city environment and that doesn't seem like a direction I want to see for that game.  Or it might be super awesome and the best idea ever. 

The thing I love about the FlatOut game (besides stuff like demolition derbies smile) is that they also have older, heavier cars and trucks and off-road dirt tracks.  I wish they would not go too far into the tuner cars on city streets direction, but I can see their need to broaden the appeal to that crowd.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 02:06:27 AM »

Damn, the 360 gets more and more difficult to resist.  thumbsup thumbsup

Flatout is really nice, Flatout 2 is just fantastic.  Flatout 360 edition will bump the 360 up a notch past the other next-gen consoles for me.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 05:26:55 AM »

There are a bunch of new screenshots and a teaser trailer for the game up over at TeamXBox.  I think the game is looking quite nice and it's going to be a must buy for me come June. 

Here are a few choice shots (click for larger version):

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 03:34:34 PM »

Flatout has become my favorite racing franchise.. This one should be great.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on May 05, 2007, 03:34:34 PM

Flatout has become my favorite racing franchise.. This one should be great.

Agreed, day one purchase for me. Looks great so far.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 05:43:41 PM »

Quote from: disarm on February 03, 2007, 11:54:33 PM

Well...with no manual transmission in Burnout, for me there's really no comparison between the 2. I've tried to get into Burnout 3, but without the ability to manually shift gears it's always left me dry. I'm not buying my 360 until the fall, so if this is released much sooner than that I might buy the PC version; if available.

Have they announced a release date for this yet?
[Edit] Nevermind I read the article and noticed the June 2007 release date.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 03:41:06 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 05:36:07 AM »

That looks pretty.  I played the Flatout 2 demo and thought it was pretty fun but didn't controls on the PC didn't quite mesh with me, but this one on the 360 looks like a must buy.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 12:44:34 AM »

Reports are that this one has just gone gold, and will be released on June 22nd in an attempt to royally screw with me.  That is the same week as Dirt, only three weeks after Forza.  Why is it that three awesome racing games all get released within a month?  In the middle of what is supposed to be the dead time!

Unless they release a demo I don't know if this will get the audience it deserves.  Which is a shame, because the actual racing in these games is quite enjoyable, and the derbies and minigames add a lot on top of that.

The newest screenshots (like these at VE) look better than ever.  There is also a new homepage with the usual stuff.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 12:50:49 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 15, 2007, 12:44:34 AM

Reports are that this one has just gone gold, and will be released on June 22nd in an attempt to royally screw with me.  That is the same week as Dirt, only three weeks after Forza.  Why is it that three awesome racing games all get released within a month?  In the middle of what is supposed to be the dead time!

and here I thought it was going to be a slow summer!  That's within a week of Overlord, the new Harry Potter game, Transformers and the Darkness,!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 05:55:43 PM »

The demo is out now on XBLM.

I tried the carnage race many, many times.  It controls much better than previous Flatouts.  However, I got frustrated because I couldn't achieve the goal they set for even the bronze level.  The only way to get enough points is to take a few other drivers out, but if you slow down enough to take someone on, you'll run out of time.  I think it has more to do with my ability than the game itself, but it was frustrating.  None the less, I did play it quite a bit.

I didn't try any of the other demo options, but it did not look like they included any of the mini-games, which seems like a bad choice to me.  Those have always been the driving force of this series, the thing that makes it stand out.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 06:07:08 PM »

Caution: Zombie crossing. Tongue

Did the game come out in June? I didn't look for it. I may try the demo, but with the new Burnout scheduled for it's yearly EA release schedule of Q4, I may just hold off in getting a driving game til then.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 06:27:43 PM »

US release is in october I believe.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 01:52:09 AM »

Damnit, this demo had to come out when my 360 is still gone.  Bullwinkle, I'm not sure how the new Carnage races go, but in the other ones you also got points for doing destruction to the stuff around the track  (the Bulldozer award smile), smacking into other cars, actually destroying the cars, having the fastest lap and such.  You have to constantly balance smashing into stuff to get nitro with keeping your speed up to stay in the race. 

And the June release was for Europe only, our date is supposed to be 10-2. 

I'm not sure if I would expect Burnout 5 to actually make it this year.  It's well known that they were having problems getting the new version of Renderware up to speed for this new gen.  There certainly hasn't been the amount of footage, screenshots and press hype you would expect for something that big coming out in the next couple months. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 02:38:32 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 06, 2007, 01:52:09 AM

Damnit, this demo had to come out when my 360 is still gone.  Bullwinkle, I'm not sure how the new Carnage races go, but in the other ones you also got points for doing destruction to the stuff around the track  (the Bulldozer award smile), smacking into other cars, actually destroying the cars, having the fastest lap and such.  You have to constantly balance smashing into stuff to get nitro with keeping your speed up to stay in the race. 

And the June release was for Europe only, our date is supposed to be 10-2. 

I'm not sure if I would expect Burnout 5 to actually make it this year.  It's well known that they were having problems getting the new version of Renderware up to speed for this new gen.  There certainly hasn't been the amount of footage, screenshots and press hype you would expect for something that big coming out in the next couple months. 

Yeah, you still get points for breaking up stuff on the track, but the only thing that gives you enough points seems to be actually destroying a couple of cars.  I will admit I never finished a race, so maybe there are bonus points for that which I never factored in.  They're looking for something like 25,000 for a bronze.  I've gotten to 24 and change, annoyingly, but if I don't knock out a couple of cars, I pull in about 6K.  I may try again.

There's a lot more polish on this game than the previous versions.  The driving feels less floaty, too.  I have gotten wedged a few more times than I would like, with no way to continue on.  It's maybe a little too easy to get turned around, but not so easy to turn back around, but that may be a feeling due to all the 180s I'm pulling in Stuntman: Ignition.

I'm still on the fence with this one, but I'm interested.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 03:33:15 AM »

Bullwinkle, I think there's a point multiplier for points earned based on how close to the front you are.
I managed to hit bronze on my second try on both the deathmatch and carnage events.

This looks really good...sort of like Burnout meets Test Drive:EoD.
Like Bugbear's other stuff, the driving model is fairly unforgiving,
though certainly not like Rally Trophy.

I've had this preordered for awhile but really convinced now it will be a hit here.
I'm a bit worried the driving difficulty may frustrate my son a bit, but Burnout Revenge has been
too easy for him, really.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 05:13:41 AM »

I will attempt to just win next time (after I finish Bioshock, which *hopefully* will be tomorrow icon_biggrin)

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 06, 2007, 05:13:41 AM

I will attempt to just win next time (after I finish Bioshock, which *hopefully* will be tomorrow icon_biggrin)

I don't think it works that way...I'm not sure there is an end to the race, aside from running out of time.
You can definitely rack up big points for wrecking other cars, though.
I just got silver (45k and change) and piledriving a car into a wall at high speed was definitely a factor.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 02:36:15 PM »

Speaking of Burnout Paradise again, the very first line in a new IGN preview says "The fastest racing game on the planet is set to return early next year."  I hope that means that FlatOut gets a little bit of notice this fall. 

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 05:25:16 PM »

Wrecked 2 cars my first race and came in just shy of gold.  That's definitely the key.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 03:26:12 PM »

Game seem like it will be a blast in multiplayer. The turning of the car sucked though. Did anyone try the wheel?

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 10:36:07 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on September 07, 2007, 03:26:12 PM

Game seem like it will be a blast in multiplayer. The turning of the car sucked though. Did anyone try the wheel?

The cars are RWD. They plow straight when accelerating (understeer),
because the weight shifts to the back and the front end lifts.
You've got to let off the gas to turn.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 01:04:52 AM »

And if the other two games are anything to judge by, there are also plenty of FWD and 4WD to buy in each tier of each class of the full game, so you can drive the type that best suits your style.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 01:57:03 PM »

Well, since I finished up the major scenes in Stuntman I think I'm going to pick this up today.  So far the reviews are coming in very well (8.5-IGN, 8.8-Team XBox, 9-1Up) and I've been a fan of the series so I just can't resist.  I'm glad to hear that they also have the more traditional career mode (now called Flatout) in addition to the mode that was in the demo (Carnage). 

I noticed that they're selling it for $50, which is a nice change.  So anybody else grabbing this one? 

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 04:22:13 PM »

Anyone have any information on the full game? Its this or PG4 your views will help me greatly, I have until 7pm EST.

PS3 Spinks
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »

What sort of information do you need that isn't covered by the rest of this thread or any of those reviews?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 05:28:01 PM »

I'm definitely getting Flatout over PGR4.  Unfortunately I don't care for the Kudos system at all since it puts the actual race second to fishtailing all over the place.  I get a bad taste in my mouth when a game actual discourages you from going straight in a straightaway slywink

Flatout does this somewhat as well, but I'd much rather be swerving to cause damage and wreak havoc than just to get a slide bonus.  I think that Flatout is going to be a much better multiplayer experience for me and if I want more straight up racing I'll pull out Forza 2 again.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 07:07:29 PM »

Picked up FUC (huh?) as well as PGR4 today. FUC is a lot of fun. Irritatingly it displays a bit crunched on my widescreen monitor with my VGA cable (and yes, I've tried about a billion fixes, none work; oddly Halo 3 looks just fine). Anyway, FUC is it's usual insanely fun self. I had the original on the PC and this seems just as much fun.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 07:29:16 PM »

Unfortunately it seems as if nobody near me has this in stock today.  They told me it was just shipping today, so now I'm mad that Roscoe got it already.  slywink

Quote from: Roscoe on October 03, 2007, 07:07:29 PM

Picked up FUC (huh?) as well as PGR4 today. FUC is a lot of fun. Irritatingly it displays a bit crunched on my widescreen monitor with my VGA cable (and yes, I've tried about a billion fixes, none work; oddly Halo 3 looks just fine). Anyway, FUC is it's usual insanely fun self. I had the original on the PC and this seems just as much fun.

I used to have that problem when I ran games through the VGA connection to a monitor (I use component since I got my new TV).  Specifically, Gears of War and Lego Star Wars 2 were bad at not working correctly above 640x480.  I think Epic eventually released a patch to fix it in Gears. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 08:18:05 PM »

Picked up FUC (huh?)

You know I never noticed that.  I bet they did it on purpose.

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2007, 11:06:36 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 03, 2007, 08:18:05 PM

Picked up FUC (huh?)

You know I never noticed that.  I bet they did it on purpose.
I think is should be FO:UC. Some how saying fUCK FUC has something to it.

PS3 Spinks
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 12:03:15 AM »

The GamesRadar review has a tab that says: F:UC KO.

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2007, 01:59:50 AM »

Picked it up today instead of PGR4, so far I've tried a couple of Derby races and a bunch of stunts. It's a bit more challenging that I was expecting, I'll have to get used to the physics and all that of driving and flinging the driver. The graphics and destruction are pretty impressive, the music not so much. It's quite a lot of fun and definitely one to try if you love the Burnout series.
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2007, 02:08:55 AM »

I just picked this up as well.  Besides being absolutley hilarious, the mp runs like BUTTA.  I was racing a bunch of burnout stoner fucks and they were cracking me up.  Great framerates, no lag, and clear voice chat.  I don't think I have had more fun playing anything else on LIVE.  I haven't even touched the SP yet.  My point is..... if you like a challenging arcade racer, BUY THIS.

omgz
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2007, 11:27:15 AM »

I intended to split my time equally between this and PGR4, but FUC is rather insanely fun and I haven't even tried the MP yet. PGR4 is ok and I'll probably put more time into it this weekend.

FUC runs great on the 360, even at the start of a race with eleven cars all moving and all sorts of crap flying everywhere. The car physics, surprisingly, feel more realistic than I remember from the first game on the PC. You don't have to use the brakes much but throttle steering is definitely needed. And you do have to think about tactics during a race, like do you try to clobber someone to get more nitro, when this will slow you down? Or bypass a leap with air time (which gains nitro) for an opportunity to run someone into an immovable object? It's more fun than I thought it would be after playing it before. Or maybe it's because I suck at Halo 3 and this is some kind of transference of affection  slywink 

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2007, 05:17:19 PM »

Never played Flatout  before but I wish I'd have gotten this instead of PGR4.  I like PGR4 but it is pretty much just like 3 with some updated graphics and there isn't anything wrong with that but I'd love to try something different.  I'll keep an eye out for FUC as they didn't have any copies at the GameCrazy that I pick up PGR4 at  icon_mad.  Do you think the MS wheel would work in this game or is it more like Stuntman Ignition where you really need the controller to play the game?
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2007, 07:53:52 PM »

I don't have a wheel but I am guessing it may be a little twitchy.  It's certainly an arcade racer but not a "dumb" one.

omgz
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 11:35:44 AM »

Quote from: Rubyeye on October 04, 2007, 07:53:52 PM

I don't have a wheel but I am guessing it may be a little twitchy.  It's certainly an arcade racer but not a "dumb" one.

I think the driving model isn't as arcadey as you imagine.
Remember these are the same folks that made Rally Trophy.
Flatout isn't insanely hard like RT but it's not a common arcade racer either, IMO.
A wheel could potentially be good for this one.
Now if only MS would let Logitech make a real wheel.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 03:33:34 PM »

I'm spending a lot more time with this than PGR4. 

It is harder than I would like, though.  I remember now how in previous Flatout games the stunts could take forever until you found the sweetspot.  Every other attempt was way off the mark.

I did clear the first carnage race on silver on my first attempt, though.  I never even cleared bronze on the demo.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: