http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:57:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First game you ever played on the PC?  (Read 4978 times)
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2005, 07:07:58 PM »

I do recall what this was but not the name of the game or a lot of details on the game (perhaps someone can remember?). Our elementrary school had Apple // computers where they were teaching us programming. As a reward for finishing your assignment they allowed you to play a simple text based game on the computer.

I seem to recall you were prompted to type in the name of an animal or item or something in general (animal I know for sure). It may have been a guessing game. It was very simple but I can recall fun.

However it wasn't long before I figured out how to make use the DIR command and found a file called BRICKOUT on the floppy. I basically discovered that on my own, typed in the name, and before I knew it I was playing my first graphical game. The bad part is that the game had sound and that alerted everyone in the room that I was doing something I should have not been.

Thankfully teachers were more curious of how I discovered that than looking to blame me for not following instructions.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2005, 09:14:43 PM »

Speaking of elementary school, does anyone remember Wilderness Campaign and Odyssey on the Apple II? Those two games were awesome. They were sort of like a very primitive strategy RPG where you had to raise a small army, rampage through the countryside, and kill the UBG (ultimate bad guy).
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2005, 03:45:49 PM »

I played a game called Parsec on our old Texas Instruments TI99/4A.  1982.  Side scrolling shooter, on the order of Defender.  I found a link with a brief description and some screenies.

http://www.thelogbook.com/phosphor/ti/q1-04/p.htm

Edit!

I take it back.  Same computer as above, but it was a text based adventure game called Pirate Adventure.  You saved your game on audio cassettes!

http://www.if-legends.org/~yois/vault.php?id=889

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2005, 06:28:10 PM »

Quote from: "Crawley"
Thankfully teachers were more curious of how I discovered that than looking to blame me for not following instructions.

Yeah, that was great smile  They were just impressed that a kid could have a grasp on that newfangled typewriter screeny thing smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2005, 06:48:07 PM »

What are good sites for finding old game info?  I tried moby games and underdogs and couldn't find my mysterious RPG which I think was titled 1882, or 1886 or 1892.. or 1896.  Was one of those years I believe.  Had these zepplins that were capable of space travel, you could battle other spacecraft and get parts, could board other vessels.  Had many famous people in the game.  There were classes like engineer, demolitions expert etc...
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2005, 07:04:22 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
Speaking of elementary school, does anyone remember Wilderness Campaign and Odyssey on the Apple II? Those two games were awesome. They were sort of like a very primitive strategy RPG where you had to raise a small army, rampage through the countryside, and kill the UBG (ultimate bad guy).

Holy Crap Jimmy!  You must be old like me - cause I vaguely remember that game!!!!!  I didn't ever actually "play" it - but  I remember it.  Know what I remember most?  The fact that they talked in Old English.  "Greetings Sir Lockdownith.  Art thou ready to travel to thee mother's home?  Lo, many tales have been told signaling that thou wouldst be travelling to yonder isles to saveth the land."  I used to love stuff like that!  Whenever I hear anyone mention Eamon, I think of Odyssey or Apventure, or whatever.  This game and Temple of Apshai stick out in my mind, although I was too young to actually play them I think.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2005, 07:10:56 PM »

M.U.L.E.

For a time there, all I played were Electronic Arts games(Mail Order Monster, Moondust, Archon, Larry Bird vs Dr J, etc). C-64 versions.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2005, 07:18:20 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
M.U.L.E.

For a time there, all I played were Electronic Arts games(Mail Order Monster, Moondust, Archon, Larry Bird vs Dr J, etc). C-64 versions.

How the mighty have fallen...  :?
unbreakable
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2005, 12:03:05 AM »

Yeah, EA started out with some solid classics.  It's kind of sad to see how it went from a company started with artistic ideas to the evil empire it is today.
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2005, 03:23:59 AM »

The first game I remember playing on a computer was Dunnet.

I still play Dunnet, sometimes.

<runs away>
Velvet Elvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2005, 03:33:36 AM »

The absolute very first PC game I remember playing was one of the Scott Adams adventure games on cassette tape.  I think it was called Pyramid.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2005, 11:24:03 AM »

Ultima I at sleep-away camp.  On rainy days they would open the computer room and some kids were playing Ultima.  I also remember playing Ultima II the same summer or the next summer, but we were in awe that the little one-screen towns had grown into scrolling larger towns.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2005, 11:59:07 AM »

Probably Eliza or Wumpus on TRS-80.
A lot of the other titles here bring back memories, though.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2005, 07:03:17 PM »

I'd guess something like Oregon Trail on an Apple II.
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2005, 07:30:09 AM »

Moon Patrol on Apple IIe

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2005, 02:46:01 PM »

My first computer game was "Lawnmower" on a Commodore Pet.

My first PC game was the awesome "Empire" by Interstel... I still play it!

Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2005, 04:18:56 PM »

Ok, the robot game was called: Robot Oddesy... And lemme just say, I probably DID play it in 84, making it one of the first games I got to play... huzzah.

there was Lode Runner, and i'm not sure when I got all my c64 games, but it was also around that time.

I also remeber the time when you didnt play very much other than EA games, lol.  Like when you had a 2600 all you did was play activision games...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2005, 05:11:05 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
It was a TRS-80 Color Computer and the first game, to the best of my memory, was:

QUEST.  Here's a screenshot:

The TRS-80 Color Computer:

God, I loved Tandy Hardware, and the Color Computer (CoCo) was one of the best.  It used a really nice processor.  I remember when my dad worked at Tandy Corp, in the educational software division. smile  I got to play all the games they were thinking of selling on their machines for kids. smile  But my favorite thing was when someone showed me OS/9 on a color computer, with a scsi drive interface plugged in.  He had two drives connected, and wanted to copy the data to the other drive, format the first drive, and copy the data back.    He executed all three commands within about a minute of each other...the system did all three things in order, chasing itself around the drive platter...it rocked!  (quite literally...it was a pair of full height 3 megabyte SCSI drives.)  Wow...I think there is still a big CoCo following out there, much like the Amiga user groups.  The CoCo ran on a Motorla processor (similar to what powered the early Macintosh systems) so it was pretty powerful for a machine.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Veloxi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2005, 10:40:30 PM »

First game I ever played on a PC was Lunar Lander back on my TRS-80. Came on a cassette tape with a bunch of other games. First DOS game I ever played was Starflight.

gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2005, 12:35:09 AM »

Zork for the IBM PC.
8man2k
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2005, 09:00:44 PM »

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2

I remember on my 10th birthday my parents bought me a tandy 1000SX and started my life's obsession.  MSFS was the game that came with it...I remember to this day booting it up for the first time and sitting there in awe of the new world I had discovered.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2005, 09:41:44 PM »

The first computer game I ever played was Wizardry I.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2005, 03:37:37 AM »

Lunar Lander on some HP beast that had a built-in thermal paper printer.

- shaggy

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2005, 08:28:01 PM »

I think it was hexen
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: