http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:02:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First 2 InFAMOUS Review  (Read 11153 times)
Fellow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2009, 03:28:40 PM »

The only Uplink mission that really lit a fire up my arse was the one in the warrens. I think it was the one that jumped in difficulty by +10. But overall, I really had no problems with any of them either.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 03, 2009, 03:22:27 PM

What's funny is that I don't have problems with the Uplink missions. Yeah, the timer gets really close to 0 every time, but I've yet to fail a single one (and I just started the 3rd island now). Just look for all the wires connecting the buildings and don't fall off.

the problem with the last one I'm doing is there's a nice sign for Cole to stick to right at the end of the wire you ride on before you get to one of the uplinks with just seconds to go, and I manage to hit it every freaking time with my forward momentum.

on a side note, I totally misread a medal I got last night that was titled Good Intentions.  I thought it said Good Riddance at first glance, and I got it on the third island at the end of the bomb mission,

Spoiler for Hiden:
right after Kessler kills Trish.

I LOL'd.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 03, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »

What's funny is that I don't have problems with the Uplink missions. Yeah, the timer gets really close to 0 every time, but I've yet to fail a single one (and I just started the 3rd island now). Just look for all the wires connecting the buildings and don't fall off.

I failed one of the early Warren uplink missions a couple times until I figured out that I was doing it wrong.  The average length of those races seems to be less then thirty seconds from start to finish, so there's very few wrong turns to take.

The checkpoint system in inFamous is really great.  I don't think a lucky bullet or misjudged jump has ever cost me more than three minutes of progress.  Some people may have mistaken my Fable 2 criticisms for a belief that videogame death should carry a really draconian punishment, but I just think dying should mean *something.*  Here, it means I caught myself in the spread radius of my splinter grenades again, but the game is going to give me another go rather than restarting the mission or -- God forbid -- dropping me back at the nearest medic station.  That's a good call by the designers! thumbsup

I'm on the final island now, and I don't understand how I could down to the last four Dead Drops but still be missing 70-80 Shards.  I thought I'd been so good about using Cole's pulse to track down the wild ones as I went along!  Unless this final island is really packed with those missions that give up 5-packs of Shards, I've left a lot behind.

Arc Lightning is a pretty cool Evil power.  It doesn't inflict much damage, but it does trigger violent spasms in a wide swath of enemies that leaves them unable to fire or move, and often knocks them down so they're easy to take out with follow up attacks.  It's surprisingly easy on Cole's battery life, too!

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2009, 04:21:40 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 03, 2009, 04:16:00 PM

I'm on the final island now, and I don't understand how I could down to the last four Dead Drops but still be missing 70-80 Shards.  I thought I'd been so good about using Cole's pulse to track down the wild ones as I went along!  Unless this final island is really packed with those missions that give up 5-packs of Shards, I've left a lot behind.

there's the 'find the package' missions which you get from fallen enemies that give you about 5 shards each but as far as I've seen don't turn up on the mini-map until you actually kill the guy who gives it to you, so I imagine those are easy to miss.  I really haven't bothered with the shards or Dead Drops unless I remember to hit the pulse and see some nearby or they just happen to be in my way.  at this point energy is not an issue with the Champion level lightning bolt and the shield so I've even been skipping the ones I see if they're not in my direct path.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2009, 07:16:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 03, 2009, 03:33:33 PM

the problem with the last one I'm doing is there's a nice sign for Cole to stick to right at the end of the wire you ride on before you get to one of the uplinks with just seconds to go, and I manage to hit it every freaking time with my forward momentum.

And having said what I said originally, I ended up failing multiple times with exactly that mission. There are few direct lines from one building to the next, and you'll automagically jump onto the sign at the end unless you're holding left to keep away from it. That one was tough.

And I ended up with all the communication drops. The 'find' range is pretty large (multiple city blocks), and if you ping a bit as you travel around, you'll find them pretty easily, IMHO. The shards on the other hand require you to constantly fire off the ping, as the radar itself is pretty close range.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2009, 07:06:27 AM »

well, I finished the game tonight.  Interesting ending, but I had a feeling that was the case from the way Sasha was acting.  I gave up on the remaining side missions and just went through the final 3 main missions.  needless to say the sequel should be interesting.

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2009, 02:21:59 AM »

For me this game just seems to get better and better the more I play. thumbsup
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2009, 06:03:56 AM »

I just finished the Bus mission, thanks for the tips.  I only lost the bus once, and it was right after a checkpoint  thumbsup.  I must say, this game makes perfect use of a checkpoint system.  Missions can still feel hard, but you never need to repeat the easy part 100 times, just a hard part.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2009, 12:26:35 PM »

I made it to the third island.  My plan was to stop for awhile and get into Red Faction, but it looks like my gameplay monkey has other ideas.  Guess I'll be finishing this one.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »

Oh!  That reminds me: is tonight going to be the first edition of PhillyPeteRock's "Geezers Gone Guerrilla" multiplayer Red Faction night, or is he waiting until next week so people can learn the ropes?

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »

So, I'm on the last mission, and I the lower SW corner of the third island is still under enemy control with no side mission indicators.  I've gone in looking for hidden package missions, and actually found two, but I'm still at, I think, 88% or so of that island in my control.  Any idea what might be going on?

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2009, 09:09:40 PM »

The final mission will give you control over that last 12%.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2009, 09:35:08 PM »

Holy crap, the control system is starting to really piss me off. I just finished a 1.5-hour session that did nothing but make me angry. The worst situation was when I tried to pick up a blast shard next to the ocean. It was placed in such a way that a normal person would be able to walk over to it, yet I died THREE times while trying to get to it, despite being really careful. The game doesn't check to see what you're trying to do at all, instead attempting to attach you to whatever is closest. It doesn't work if you're trying to move fast, because then you're not likely to want to attach to anything, so it'll just slow you down. It doesn't work if you're trying to get to some specific point, because you're likely to get stuck on something that has nothing to do with your target since what you're looking for and heading towards seems to have no effect on what you actually get attached to.

Combine that with suddenly having to fight numerous huge bad guys who take several minutes to take down, and a mission with unclear objectives, unobvious linear paths that, if you try to go at them in a non-linear way, will break the mission script. Add in about a dozen endlessly respawning enemies (until you kill the big ones, which takes several minutes of mindless button-mashing) in a constrained area with no places to take cover that will actually cover you from all enemies.

And another mission where I'm supposed to destroy certain things that appear to be invulnerable to damage. There is no obvious way to deal with them except trial and failure, and trying to take your time to think means you get shot.

And another mission where I'm supposed to take down a group of three dustmen, not hurting the fourth who is a good-guy with a special helmet. It was pretty much impossible to see any difference between them, even when fully zoomed in, because of the low-quality graphics. I had to just repeat the mission until I got lucky and killed the right guys.

I don't like turning off games in anger. That's not why I'm into this hobby.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:37:34 PM by TiLT » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on June 05, 2009, 09:09:40 PM

Thanks, mp, I just finished.  I went back in and my save file said I'd cleared all the territories.  I've done everything except get about 20 shards (and play evil).  I may do my mwah-hah-hah campaign some day and get the remaining trophies and shards, but even if I don't, I'm glad I played.  Damned fine game.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2009, 12:21:37 AM »

I started up an evil game, but I think there was more challenge to playing a good Cole.  when you're good you try to not blow up civvies so you attack more carefully, but as evil Cole you can just spam powers carelessly.

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2009, 12:48:05 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 06, 2009, 12:21:37 AM

I started up an evil game, but I think there was more challenge to playing a good Cole.  when you're good you try to not blow up civvies so you attack more carefully, but as evil Cole you can just spam powers carelessly.

Yes.  And that's why it's awesome.

gellar
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2009, 12:55:25 AM »

Still, my favorite thing about the game is if you become enough of a hero, the civvies will actually start helping you in fights by throwing rocks.  Every hit from a rock doesn't do much damage, but it stuns the enemy and can often finish off weakened enemies.  There might also be a lot of people around throwing rocks, which really adds up.

There's also nice little random moments, on the streets, perhaps not enough of them, like people running up and asking for help or letting you know where sick people are.  You can also stop lynchings and more.  These don't do that much, but they add flavor to the game.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2009, 01:23:35 AM »

Quote from: madpeon on June 05, 2009, 09:09:40 PM

Actually, I ended up with a 'hole' on the map (so I didn't take control over the entire third island), and it's right next to where the game ends. Any guesses?

Finally - I finished the game the other day, and I found the ending to be quite good. Oh, and the last power you get? It's absolutely frakin' awesome. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2009, 01:35:04 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 06, 2009, 01:23:35 AM

Actually, I ended up with a 'hole' on the map (so I didn't take control over the entire third island), and it's right next to where the game ends. Any guesses?

it might be a 'find the package' mission.  just kill any baddies you find in the hole.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2009, 04:54:03 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 06, 2009, 12:48:05 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 06, 2009, 12:21:37 AM

Yes.  And that's why it's awesome.

gellar

yeah baby, it's good to be bad.  you got STYLE, baby. But if you're going to be a real villain, you gotta get a gimmick.' And so I go I says YEAH, baby. A gimmick, that's it. High explosive shock grenades.  boom, baby, boom!

playing as evil cole is great, even if the plot doesn't hold up to the good side.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 12, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »

Yahtzee really liked it!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/767-inFamous

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2009, 11:31:42 PM »

I know!  It's just plain weird that he liked it so much.  He even found glaring faults with it, yet his review is pretty positive.

I feel like the universe is going to implode or something.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 13, 2009, 05:12:15 AM »

finished the game tonight on the 'good' path and loved it from beginning to end...awesome powers, incredibly fun gameplay, and an interesting story that takes a very surprising twist at the very end.  along the way, i managed to collect 347/350 shards, got all the dead drops, maxed out all my good powers, and pulled off 15/21 stunts...will probably go back to tie up a few loose ends now that i'm finished and can continue roaming the city.  while i can see where some complaints originate, i really didn't find any problems bad enough to keep me from really enjoying inFAMOUS...probably the best game i've played so far this year, and sets the bar high for whatever i decide to pick up next icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2009, 10:53:47 PM »

finished on evil last night, and yeah, the ending twist wasn't really expected, nor the reason behind it.  (the character's reason, not the game designer's).  overall, i like it quite a bit, even though the powers you get towards the end aren't useful enough to use outside of specific occasions.  i rarely even used the last one at all and mainly beat the boss with ample use of shield and the evil side sith lightning.  it took me a couple of tries before i got the hang of the last fight, eliciting a few almost controller throwing moments.  shield is your friend against his big attack and you can avoid the ground effect attack pretty well.  the only one that is going to hit you is his force push, but with the open power lines around, you can get healthy fairly easy. 

don't know if i'm up for a second playthrough as it started to drag on me at the end, even after a week's hiatus for red faction.  as it was, i found all the dead drops and 327/350 with all but two sections of the middle island cleared out.  no idea how many stunts i completed, which really highlights how dumb that portion is.  why doesn't the game let you look at all of the stunts so you can go after them?  yeah, it shows you the highest unfinished one, but after trying for that one through half the game, i fell back on using the known stunts and said to hell with the others.  i did get one back accident though, but beats me what that was. 

i think the parkour implementation should be the de-facto standard for all similar games.  so much better than ass creed's implementation.  here it felt like i was in control of how i scaled a building vs AC was about finding the path lined out by the designers

overall, a 8.5/10 for me. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2009, 04:31:13 AM »

Quote from: Caine on June 21, 2009, 10:53:47 PM

i think the parkour implementation should be the de-facto standard for all similar games.  so much better than ass creed's implementation.  here it felt like i was in control of how i scaled a building vs AC was about finding the path lined out by the designers

Oh god, no! The "parkour" implementation in this game was easily the worst part of it. You get stuck in the terrain half the time because the game decides you want to land on something in particular (which you might not even see). A careful estimate is that 9 out of 10 deaths I suffered during my inFAMOUS playthrough were because of the controls (ie. I'd get stuck while trying to flank an enemy/get to cover/run away from combat/etc.).

Have you tried Prototype? Now THAT is how to handle parkour-like movemet in a game like this.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »

I finally finished infamous yesterday, and I thought it was absolutely wonderful. If I could change anything it would be for more diversity among the side missions, but that is a very minor complaint for a highly entertaining game.

Strangely, this is the only game that has ever locked up my system. The second to the last story mission locked up my PS3 on three occasions. Not very cool since that mission is multiple stages across the whole city.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 24, 2009, 05:56:28 PM »

I've been playing this and really enjoying it - the sliding along power lines gives me pleasant memories of the first Sly Cooper (surprise, surprise). I just finished the first island and I have a question and a comment.

question: is there a stats screen? How do I know how many shards I have found?

comment: I don't really understand why they keep asking you whether you want to do the good thing or the bad thing.  Once you choose a path, you are pretty much stuck on it, because you can only use good powers or bad powers. You can't play a middle of the road Jedi guy who uses some light force powers and some dark force powers. If you start out good and choose to do a bad thing every once in a while, you only hurt yourself because you will delay access to some of the power-ups that require the next Karma level. I guess it's nice to have the choice, but it's really pointless and they should just ask you at the beginning if you'd like to be a hero or a villain.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »

gah, the "follow the courier" missions are driving me insane.  the guy must have super senses.  he spots me even when i'm crouched if just a leg is sticking out.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 05, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 05, 2010, 07:14:16 PM

gah, the "follow the courier" missions are driving me insane.  the guy must have super senses.  he spots me even when i'm crouched if just a leg is sticking out.

Stay above them and farther away. I think there are a few cases where you have to come down to street level, but usually not until the end.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2010, 07:26:47 PM »

Try the rooftops and railways.  They never look up.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 05, 2010, 07:26:47 PM

Try the rooftops and railways.  They never look up.

i tried it yesterday and he spotted me on a train track above him and across the street.  i love the game, but man those missions are frustrating to me.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2010, 10:01:36 PM »

Got this from gamefly and have been enjoying the retail release way more than the demo.  I waited so long to play because the demo turned me off to the game, but the retail pacing and power introductions has been much more enjoyable. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2010, 11:47:53 PM »

Question:  I have some areas in the middle of the city where I've done the side missions all around it and they are still not cleared of enemies repopulating.  I don't see any side missions to clear these areas now...did I miss something, or does an NPC die? 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 AM »

I've been meaning to get to this, looking forward to finally getting to play it in a month or so when my backlog is cleared.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2010, 09:05:43 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 27, 2010, 11:47:53 PM

Question:  I have some areas in the middle of the city where I've done the side missions all around it and they are still not cleared of enemies repopulating.  I don't see any side missions to clear these areas now...did I miss something, or does an NPC die? 

I'm not sure I understand the question, but not every section unlocks at once.  Some area don't unlock for clearing until you've moved on to the next island.  If something won't unlock, just continue with the story missions.  Even after you've entirely cleared the island (taken over all the territories) there will still be a few random enemies around.  I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2010, 09:10:02 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on March 28, 2010, 09:05:43 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 27, 2010, 11:47:53 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question, but not every section unlocks at once.  Some area don't unlock for clearing until you've moved on to the next island.  If something won't unlock, just continue with the story missions.  Even after you've entirely cleared the island (taken over all the territories) there will still be a few random enemies around.  I hope that helps.

It does and I just starting seeing that in action, thank you!
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2010, 11:35:25 PM »

I'm finally getting around to playing this after owning it for months.  I'm really enjoying it.  I've got the first island 100% cleared and the 2nd is about 60% cleared. 

Last night I came across my first one-on-one Golem fight.  It was very tough.  Took me many attempts.  Then the next mission I tried had me fighting a swarm of bad guys, when a golem shows up halfway through.  Yikes.  Any tips on taking these guys out quickly and easily?

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: