http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 05:39:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First 2 InFAMOUS Review  (Read 11106 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2009, 05:50:47 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 28, 2009, 04:33:12 PM

...I've collected enough Shards to nearly double my starting battery life, and feasting on a single downed person is still enough to completely recharge my energy and heal my wounds.

You know, AA... these words just sound so wrong coming from our cleric!   icon_biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2009, 06:09:09 PM »

Something else to keep in mind if you need a quick boost of energy - go shock something that'll hold a charge for a few seconds (car, fence, metal box, etc), and then suck it dry. How much you get is proportional to how much you put into it (to a point), but it'll work great when you need a small recharge to get back to full, or when there's absolutely nothing around you.

Just be careful what you charge up - things like cars have a breaking point. biggrin

Quote from: Lockdown on May 28, 2009, 05:50:47 PM

...I've collected enough Shards to nearly double my starting battery life, and feasting on a single downed person is still enough to completely recharge my energy and heal my wounds.
You know, AA... these words just sound so wrong coming from our cleric!   icon_biggrin

I think our Cleric turned evil during her offtime.  crybaby

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2009, 10:07:25 AM »

The Good side power is kind of lame in terms of damage.  The wind up takes too long, and it only stuns enemies for a short amount of time.  On the other hand, I suspect using Overcharge then pulling the electricity will give you quite a bit, it's something I haven't used yet.

I have to say that Infamous has a lot of flaws and issues, yet somehow overcomes a lot of them to deserve all those high 8s and 9 scores.

I'm at the point where the people love me so much, they help out in combat by throwing rocks that stun enemies.

Of course, I've also encountered weird, and funny bugs such as one where a cop was basically going all crazy and just shooting people left and right.  Just normal people just walking around.  Even weirder was that it was a quest giver NPC.  I ended up knocking him down and arc restraining him.  As soon as I did that, another cop NPC popped up to give the quest.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:38:12 AM by Turtle » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 29, 2009, 10:07:25 AM

The Good side power is kind of lame in terms of damage.  The wind up takes too long, and it only stuns enemies for a short amount of time.  On the other hand, I suspect using Overcharge then pulling the electricity will give you quite a bit, it's something I haven't used yet.

I have to say that Infamous has a lot of flaws and issues, yet somehow overcomes a lot of them to deserve all those high 8s and 9 scores.

I'm at the point where the people love me so much, they help out in combat by throwing rocks that stun enemies.

Of course, I've also encountered weird, and funny bugs such as one where a cop was basically going all crazy and just shooting people left and right.  Just normal people just walking around.  Even weirder was that it was a quest giver NPC.  I ended up knocking him down and arc restraining him.  As soon as I did that, another cop NPC popped up to give the quest.

I had a group of maniac cops chasing me around and shooting me.  They appeared as little red dots on the map, even.  I have no idea what I did to piss them off, everyone on Neon was pretty much loving me by that point.  I was worried I'd have to go back to an earlier save, but the problem corrected itself once I started the net mission.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2009, 02:42:59 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 29, 2009, 10:07:25 AM

I use it as a way to get enemies to leave cover - once they're doing that, I switch to one of the other powers in the game
Spoiler for Hiden:
the sniper power with built in slo-mo features
and blast them away.

Anyone looked at the Trophies yet? It seems that the devs had a bit of fun while making the comments for them - the one that requires you to sticky grenade 50 or so guys has the comment of, "You've done this before, haven't you?" once you do it. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2009, 03:22:20 PM »

I'm having a hell of a time getting one of the stunts.  The one where you have to jump, hit a guy with lightning, and then thunder stomp him (or whatever it's called).  Most of the others haven't been too tough, but that one is frustrating the hell out of me.  Aiming that lightning shot is tough.  It never seems to line up the way I think it's going to.  Does anyone know if you can use the
Spoiler for Hiden:
precision shot
for this?

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2009, 06:51:42 PM »

So, these Stunts... I found them online but are they documented anywhere in game and I'm just not smart enuf to find them?  retard

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2009, 07:15:12 PM »

Press start, some text should describe a stunt at the bottom of the screen.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2009, 07:47:52 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 29, 2009, 07:15:12 PM

Oh, that? Thanks, guess I need to pay more attention.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:59 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 29, 2009, 07:47:52 PM

Quote from: Turtle on May 29, 2009, 07:15:12 PM

Oh, that? Thanks, guess I need to pay more attention.  icon_wink

And it only shows the lowest numbered stunt in the game - you can find others by pure accident. I think I got the trophy for 5 or 10 or whatever the lowest number was, even though it still showed the first stunt for the longest time.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2009, 09:00:36 PM »

I think it shows the lowest numbered stunt that you haven't completed yet. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2009, 09:15:12 PM »

I'm at number 11.  Or 11 found.

It actually gave me a new one after heading into the sewer.  Once I cleared that, I was back to the jump, lightning, stomp one.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2009, 11:47:12 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 29, 2009, 09:00:36 PM

I think it shows the lowest numbered stunt that you haven't completed yet. 

Er, completed yet. That's what I meant to say.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2009, 06:02:02 AM »

OK, I gotta ask:  just how many police did this city have?  it's like every other parked car is a police cruiser!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2009, 09:06:30 AM »

well, came across my first controller tossing moment with one of those stupid satellite uplink courses, plus the insane accuracy of any enemy you encounter is really bringing down the score in my book.

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2009, 12:30:28 PM »

I'm already starting to get bored with Infamous, starting to think that these open world games are probably not for me.  I'm not sure now if I'll even bother with Prototype.  I liked the game at first but it just feels very repetitive doing the side missions and the story is not good enough for me to want to focus on story missions.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2009, 10:32:02 PM »

ceekay, was the satellite course in warren - the 2nd or 3rd one you do where the last jump apparently is a telephone pole to building?  Cause that one just made me quit.  I've passed almost all other satellite runs with no problem.  This one?  Not even close.  Big mistake in difficulty ramping here.

And I think ceekay nailed it.  Finishing a side mission and being greeted by 5-10 dustmen in a block I supposedly cleared out is a great way to make me hate this game.  It's very good, but not great.  No lock-on ability for enemies, instant lock-ons by them, endless respawning in masses - this game has a great base but many mediocre design decisions, imo.  The worst is the rewards system: after 250 people healed I got a trophy, but not one single point of goodwill.  So...what was the point?  The experience is completely negligible for actually doing good deeds.  I imagine being evil is probably the same.

Also, after every story mission where I activate a substation, I've been getting 'negative karma for your actions'.  Wtf?  I never drain down enemies, only restrain them, and they are no innocent people down there so it couldn't have been collateral damage.  What, I'm being evil by helping the city live again?  I don't get it.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2009, 10:57:11 PM »

Remember that there's a cap on how much 'good or evil' you can be based on how far you are in the game. You'll be capped at the first bar until you've gotten off the first island, and the last bar (of three) will open up partway through the second island (I've fully hit max good and the second island isn't done yet).

If you're doing good or evil deeds, and you no longer see a flash in the corner for doing them, you've hit that cap.

As far as the negative karma thing for doing missions - I'm kinda stumped. As it is, I only occasionally see anything other than 'no karma change for your actions', but for me it's always positive (of course, I've always played good so far too). Which way are you going in the side missions so far? Where are you on your 'bar' so far? Good or Evil?

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2009, 11:27:43 PM »

I think I am nearly done with the first island.  It is starting to get a bit repetitive, the bad guys are just TOO good of shot.  Overall just a couple small things bothering me.

I am definitely interested in seeing where the story goes, so I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2009, 12:02:45 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on May 31, 2009, 10:32:02 PM

ceekay, was the satellite course in warren - the 2nd or 3rd one you do where the last jump apparently is a telephone pole to building?  Cause that one just made me quit.  I've passed almost all other satellite runs with no problem.  This one?  Not even close.  Big mistake in difficulty ramping here.

yeah, that's the one.  I finally made it past it by accident when I fell down to the street near the final building and just barely managed to climb up the  side of it.

Also, after every story mission where I activate a substation, I've been getting 'negative karma for your actions'.  Wtf?  I never drain down enemies, only restrain them, and they are no innocent people down there so it couldn't have been collateral damage.  What, I'm being evil by helping the city live again?  I don't get it.

I've gotten that too, twice, and was like WTF?  the only thing I can think of is I took down too many civvies in the battle to get to the sewer entrance, but that's more their stupid fault of running into the battle plus the massive power of Coles powers.  heck, I had one guy toast himself when he ran towards me to take a pic while I was standing in a puddle of water.

Because I can,
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2009, 05:50:58 AM »

I got to the second island.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I hope the rest of the boss fights aren't like that one.  I am really tired of "do xx three times to kill the boss".  What you were doing was somewhat clever and interesting but why do I need to repeat it three times?

Also a bit of a let down story-wise.  I was hoping for a few more answers.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2009, 06:55:49 AM »

wow, while playing tonight I had my first PS3 hard lock up.  I had to unplug the power cord to get the machine to reset itself, and was half expecting the Sony version of the RROD when I plugged it back in.  I had a feeling something was up when I had a few framerate stutters but figured it was just a hiccup from all the shock grenades going off.

anyways, I have a feeling I'm about done with the second Island, so hopefully I'll be done in time to trade this in for Prototype.  I've been playing the good missions, and I'm not really feeling the need to go and try the evil missions right away.  that and I find Zeke plus Trish really freaking annoying.

oh, and a quick tip about the 'protect the bus' mission you get from Trish on the second island- it's how to make it less frustrating:

Spoiler for Hiden:
you do not have to stay on the bus.  as a matter of fact, staying on the bus is the whole reason it will get damaged.  as soon as you see red on the radar, jump off and run towards it to take them out.  if you are not on the bus they will not really shoot at it beyond the possiblity of their first shot hitting it as it misses you.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2009, 07:07:41 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 01, 2009, 06:55:49 AM

oh, and a quick tip about the 'protect the bus' mission you get from Trish on the second island- it's how to make it less frustrating:

Spoiler for Hiden:
you do not have to stay on the bus.  as a matter of fact, staying on the bus is the whole reason it will get damaged.  as soon as you see red on the radar, jump off and run towards it to take them out.  if you are not on the bus they will not really shoot at it beyond the possiblity of their first shot hitting it as it misses you.

Bah!

Spoiler for Hiden:
After 4 tries I finally did that one by staying on the bus.  I ended up spamming the shockwave and the grenade.  The level 3 grenade for the good side is great.  It doesn't need to kill them, just weaken them a bit and it snares them, so most enemies except the higher level dustmen get snared in one go.

I do have to agree about the Cole and Trish relationship, I didn't buy into it.  I felt more for Zeke and his actions through the game than I did for Trish.  It was almost like she was just the token good looking girl, they really should have dedicated a bit more time to fleshing out her character, having more missions that she's involved in, instead of at the end of the bus protection mission she suddenly goes into a long monologue about how much she misses Cole.

Oh and I finished the game, while I want to keep it, I kinda need to trade the game away for some new gadgets.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »

This game is still making me wet. Did I really say that? saywhat Fun stuff though,really fun stuff!!! nod
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 01, 2009, 07:07:41 AM

Bah!

Spoiler for Hiden:
After 4 tries I finally did that one by staying on the bus.  I ended up spamming the shockwave and the grenade.  The level 3 grenade for the good side is great.  It doesn't need to kill them, just weaken them a bit and it snares them, so most enemies except the higher level dustmen get snared in one go.

sure, if you enjoy being annoyed you could do it that way  Tongue

oh, and Zeke officially secured his status of unredeemable moron of the year on the last mission I did.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2009, 07:11:38 PM »

Thank God for the autosave feature!  After finishing a whole series of missions on the second island, I encountered a crash when I tried to bio-leech a downed bad guy who was positioned awkwardly on some wreckage.  When I reset the PS3, I hadn't lost any progress at all. thumbsup

The second island is now about 80% free.  My save game rates me at about 55% completion, though I suspect that refers to *total* completion, including blast shards and stunts, rather than just story progression.  I can't get the "Splash & Crash" stunt no matter what I do.

Maybe it's the lack of pre-blast backstory, but when playing as a villain, Cole's relationships with Trish and Zeke don't make sense at all.  They aren't afraid of him, they don't try to convince him to use his powers for good or push to get a cut of the action for themselves -- Trish just chews Cole out for disasters he isn't actually causing, while Zeke brags about scoring a date with some girl whose brother was horribly murdered.  Clark Kent would have quit the Daily Planet on his third day if he was burdened with these insufferable nags, so why the hell is my soul-sucking, cop-killing supervillain tolerating their crap?

Trish: Cole!  Cole, my medical clinic is filling up with gunshot victims!  What did you do?!

Cole: (sigh) Nothing, dear.

Trish: Well, you must have done something!  This is all your fault, as usual!

Cole: Whatever you say, dear.

Trish: Why don't you do something for a change?  I swear, you're the only guy I know who could become an even bigger loser *after* getting superpowers.  And why don't you take off that stupid backpack?  You couldn't even deliver that bomb without blowing up the whole city!

Cole: Hey Trish, are you on a land line?

Trish: Yes, Cole, I'm on a freaking land line.  Typical: always changing the subje-

Cole: So am I.  BZZZZZZT!

Fortunately, the gameplay remains a lot of fun.  Cole has gotten much more powerful than before, but because he's also facing larger numbers of enemies with better fire power, the game has remained challenging without being too frustrating.

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2009, 07:29:13 PM »

For the griping I've read about the female characters, I've gotta say, I find Zeke all kinds of annoying.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2009, 08:03:50 PM »

Zeke constantly reminded me of George W. Bush. Even in appearance, it looked like a caricature of him. Anyways, just finished the Hero side of inFamous. I really enjoyed the game, though felt the overall story was a little thin. It really stands as a solid 8 in my mind, with a few story missions going above a 9.

Now to go at it as a bastard!

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 02, 2009, 06:23:54 AM »

oh Zeke....

Spoiler for Hiden:
I shall make a man purse out of your skin  icon_evil

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2009, 07:23:41 AM »

I've played this game quite a bit this weekend and now feel ready to give my impressions:

The Bad:
------------

* The graphics are outdated. They look like the first games from this generation, and not even the good ones at that. Compare this to games like Assassin's Creed, and inFAMOUS ends up lacking.
* The animations are possibly the worst I've seen in a AAA-game this generation. They are absolutely atrocious. Everyone moves like robots. There's no acceleration to movement at all. Poses are laughably bad. Facial animation reminds me of Canadians in South Park.
* As soon as you round a corner, if there's any enemy in the city who can draw a straight line to your location without going through a wall (and sometimes they're not even that picky), he will fire at you (and probably hit), even if he's a mile away. There's not even half a second of delay. They see and recognize you immediately and fire upon you at the same split second. This is not fun.
* Enemies will fire at you ALL THE TIME. You'll even get attacked by groups of enemies in supposedly "safe" areas, on completely cleared islands. There's also no way for you to avoid their shots, and since they fire at you from above most of the time, even getting behind cover isn't likely to help much. When it comes to being fired upon in games, there's a good rule of thumb: Always give the player the option to avoid being hit. Either have enemy shots move slow enough that they can be dodged (like the rockets), or make it so that you can move fast or erratic to make enemies miss. For most enemy attacks in the game, the shots are undodgeable, and they'll hit you even if you're zooming along at incredible speed. This is very, very annoying.
* Enemies attack ALL THE TIME. You don't get a moment's rest. I've had missions I ended up abandoning because wave after wave of enemies would come out of a nearby dark zone to attack me. As soon as one massive wave was down, another would come. I never got the chance to actually try the mission, so I had to abandon it until I could bring electricity back to the dark zone. Actually entering one of these zones is tedious. I had hoped to be able to carefully fight my way through them, conserving my power until I needed it the most. Instead I'm under constant attack by respawning enemies, which means that the only option that makes sense is to run like hell to your objective. Not fun.
* Voice acting is bad. Really bad. Really, really bad.
* The NPCs are uninteresting at best. The writing is shoddy and isn't helped by the voice acting.
* The "magnetic" movement of your character is wonky. It mostly works fine, but just try to land on the floor when there are other objects nearby! Also, attempting to jump onto a ladder or other thin, climbable object is incredibly freaking hard. Even if you hit it straight on, you'll most likely slide right past it. This has often sent me flying head first into pools of water and is extremely frustrating. Why couldn't they have made ladders high-priority targets for your magnetism?

The Good:
-------------

* Despite all its flaws, the game is surprisingly fun. I like open-world games. I can't quite put my finger on why it's fun, it just is.
* Generous checkpoints. They've done this absolutely right. Whenever I die, I don't lose much progress. You even get multiple checkpoints through missions, which means that you don't have to replay the entire mission most of the times. This reduces the annoyance factor from many of the negative aspects of the game. If the checkpoints were as poorly placed as in most other games, I would probably toss away inFAMOUS in disgust. Kudos!
* Earning XP and choosing powers is fun. It's too easy to buy everything, but it still adds a little spice to the formula.
* Using electricity to travel at high speed is fun.

Overall I like the game, but it's no classic. It's definitely worth playing, but there are some really strange pieces of game design in here.

Edit: Forgot one bad thing
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:25:13 AM by TiLT » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »

The "magnetic" movement of your character is wonky. It mostly works fine, but just try to land on the floor when there are other objects nearby! Also, attempting to jump onto a ladder or other thin, climbable object is incredibly freaking hard. Even if you hit it straight on, you'll most likely slide right past it. This has often sent me flying head first into pools of water and is extremely frustrating. Why couldn't they have made ladders high-priority targets for your magnetism?

this made climbing the transients tower in the Warren a pain.  sure, any other time it's like everything is made of velcro and you're waring a velcro suit, but al of a sudden the tower's made of teflon coated parts.  I have to say that section did give me one heck of a feeling of vertigo though.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 28, 2009, 06:09:09 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on May 28, 2009, 05:50:47 PM

I think our Cleric turned evil during her offtime.  crybaby

As I recall, my character believed spiritual salvation was best achieved through the reconciling power of blunt force trauma.  And remember that time he nearly broke the adventure by laying a gigantic guilt trip on that shady elf girl, saying that if she *really* cared about the town, she'd stop lurking in taverns and join our group?

He's been a lot of fun to play, but perhaps not quite as nice as you guys seem to remember. icon_wink  Hopefully we'll be able to continue our game soon!

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 01, 2009, 07:29:13 PM

For the griping I've read about the female characters, I've gotta say, I find Zeke all kinds of annoying.

It's unclear to me why anyone, anywhere, would ever voluntarily hang around someone like Zeke.  He's the sort of person who only develops friendships because he's too dimwitted to dream up profitable methods of betrayal.  In a better written story, his presence would be used to highlight what a dreary, shiftless life Cole is using his powers to leave behind, but in inFamous, I suspect Zeke exists solely to set up a "defining moment" when he turns against Cole, dies, or both.

Trish is worse in my eyes because her role in the story is more important.  She's supposed to be Cole's emotional tether, reminding him of what he's fighting to accomplish.  She's *supposed* to be the inspiration for his heroics or the face of guilt and condemnation that drive him to villainy, but her character is so poorly handled that she just comes off as an abrasive and judgmental harpy.  It's Mary Jane Watson Syndrome.  No matter how many times the game tries to tell us that she's a really appealing person, it's hard to hear over the sound of all her complaining.

If I'd written Trish, she would have reacted to Cole's initial acts of evil with shock, personal pleas to reverse course and use his powers to help people, anger over his continued violence, and eventually fear as major plot points illustrate just how far to the dark side he's gone.  She would have been smart and resourceful enough to scrounge up an armed escort for her bus by herself, and in a jealous rage, Cole's mission would have been to slaughter the protectors and disable her bus in the middle of hostile territory to prove how much she really needs him...and teach her a lesson about defying him.

Unfortunately, being "bad" in inFamous is less about vengeance, amassing power, or conquering the gangs to establish your own iron-fisted rule, and more about petty greed and low-grade thuggery.  Cole McGrath isn't fit to hold Bad Horse's salt lick.

-Autistic Angel
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 02, 2009, 07:23:41 AM

I've played this game quite a bit this weekend and now feel ready to give my impressions:

I haven't picked it up in a few days due to Demon's Souls, but still thought I would chime in after just about finishing up the first island .  First off, the bad:

* The graphics are outdated. They look like the first games from this generation, and not even the good ones at that. Compare this to games like Assassin's Creed, and inFAMOUS ends up lacking.

Hmm, not sure what you're talking about here.  I played through and finished Assassin's Creed, I don't see that much of a difference.  Both games look and run pretty well, save for frame-rate drops from time to time.

* The animations are possibly the worst I've seen in a AAA-game this generation. They are absolutely atrocious. Everyone moves like robots. There's no acceleration to movement at all. Poses are laughably bad. Facial animation reminds me of Canadians in South Park.

Again, must be playing a different game here because I have no idea what you are talking about.  Animation to me seemed about the same as any other game, but maybe I'm just not looking close enough.  Usually I'm quite picky about things like this and the one above, but I just don't see any problem here.

* As soon as you round a corner, if there's any enemy in the city who can draw a straight line to your location without going through a wall (and sometimes they're not even that picky), he will fire at you (and probably hit), even if he's a mile away. There's not even half a second of delay. They see and recognize you immediately and fire upon you at the same split second. This is not fun.

I agree with you here, but it's easily avoided by grabbing cover.

* Enemies will fire at you ALL THE TIME. You'll even get attacked by groups of enemies in supposedly "safe" areas, on completely cleared islands. There's also no way for you to avoid their shots, and since they fire at you from above most of the time, even getting behind cover isn't likely to help much. When it comes to being fired upon in games, there's a good rule of thumb: Always give the player the option to avoid being hit. Either have enemy shots move slow enough that they can be dodged (like the rockets), or make it so that you can move fast or erratic to make enemies miss. For most enemy attacks in the game, the shots are undodgeable, and they'll hit you even if you're zooming along at incredible speed. This is very, very annoying.

* Enemies attack ALL THE TIME. You don't get a moment's rest. I've had missions I ended up abandoning because wave after wave of enemies would come out of a nearby dark zone to attack me. As soon as one massive wave was down, another would come. I never got the chance to actually try the mission, so I had to abandon it until I could bring electricity back to the dark zone. Actually entering one of these zones is tedious. I had hoped to be able to carefully fight my way through them, conserving my power until I needed it the most. Instead I'm under constant attack by respawning enemies, which means that the only option that makes sense is to run like hell to your objective. Not fun.

Enemies do attack on site, and yes that can be frustrating, but I've never been shot while standing behind cover.  I've been shot while standing behind cover where I *thought* I was safe, but that's my fault and not the game's.

* Voice acting is bad. Really bad. Really, really bad.

It's passable, but bad?  Hardly, go play Sacred 2 or the original Resident Evil.

* The NPCs are uninteresting at best. The writing is shoddy and isn't helped by the voice acting.

The major characters seem about par for the course when it comes to this kind of game, peds on the street are pretty much the same as any other GTA style game like this.

* The "magnetic" movement of your character is wonky. It mostly works fine, but just try to land on the floor when there are other objects nearby! Also, attempting to jump onto a ladder or other thin, climbable object is incredibly freaking hard. Even if you hit it straight on, you'll most likely slide right past it. This has often sent me flying head first into pools of water and is extremely frustrating. Why couldn't they have made ladders high-priority targets for your magnetism?

People were complaining about this before I even bought the game, and I really don't see it.  Cole is a bit "sticky", but I haven't had any where near the frustrations other people are reporting.

And now, the good:

* Despite all its flaws, the game is surprisingly fun. I like open-world games. I can't quite put my finger on why it's fun, it just is.

For me, it's jumping and climbing around the city.  I also like the combat, even though it can be frustrating at times.

* Generous checkpoints. They've done this absolutely right. Whenever I die, I don't lose much progress. You even get multiple checkpoints through missions, which means that you don't have to replay the entire mission most of the times. This reduces the annoyance factor from many of the negative aspects of the game. If the checkpoints were as poorly placed as in most other games, I would probably toss away inFAMOUS in disgust. Kudos!

Totally agree, the checkpoint system has been just about perfect so far.

* Earning XP and choosing powers is fun. It's too easy to buy everything, but it still adds a little spice to the formula.

Also in agreement, though more powers would have been nice.

* Using electricity to travel at high speed is fun.

I like the idea, just wish there was an easier way to stop.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »

Random but important tip, once you get the energy shield near the end of island 2, 99% accuracy enemies from a mile away become less annoying than before (also machine gun nests become a joke).

Why they waited that long to give you the power is beyond me.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2009, 12:22:47 AM »

But also remember to pump XP into the shield as soon as possible.  At level 1 the coverage is a joke, but buy the upgrades and each hit on the shield gives extra energy, combined with the shield itself means you can recharge a bit more easily.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2009, 12:29:03 AM »

Quote from: madpeon on June 02, 2009, 07:53:27 PM

Random but important tip, once you get the energy shield near the end of island 2, 99% accuracy enemies from a mile away become less annoying than before (also machine gun nests become a joke).

Why they waited that long to give you the power is beyond me.

probably because it's so powerful.  now I just need to remember even though the camera may be facing one direction my shield is not.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2009, 07:47:49 AM »

Hmmm.. The game may have just cheated me out of clearing 100% of the historic district. I completed a mission there to escort a bus, and when it was done I got no mission complete screen, no so and no area cleared yet the abandon mission option was not there and the other missions showed up again, plus the game autosaved.

Small hiccps like that and the uplink missions are making this become a 'rent, do not buy' recommendation in my book.  The small annoyances are starting to add up, which is sad because the game started out so well.   

Because I can,
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »

Same thing happened to me, CeeKay. Don't worry about it. You'll be able to get 100%.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2009, 02:46:53 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on June 03, 2009, 11:37:01 AM

Same thing happened to me, CeeKay. Don't worry about it. You'll be able to get 100%.

that's good to know, but after running into another one of those Uplink missions (probably the last one in the game in the Historic District) I'll settle with what I got right now and finish the last 3 main story missions.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »

What's funny is that I don't have problems with the Uplink missions. Yeah, the timer gets really close to 0 every time, but I've yet to fail a single one (and I just started the 3rd island now). Just look for all the wires connecting the buildings and don't fall off.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: