http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:38:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First 2 InFAMOUS Review  (Read 11214 times)
DamageInc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2009, 05:27:20 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on May 11, 2009, 12:01:31 AM

spent a couple hours with the demo, & will likely spend more, but, unless i can get more comfortable with the whole 'electric powers' part, will likely be passing on the game - basically, i loved everything about the demo but them, &, as much as i'm not into shooters, would've had more fun playing as nate drake. at least i'd be able to hit these guys from as far away as they can hit me - really didn't like the fact that enemies seem to zero in on you almost immediately, & sometimes from way the hell away, & from every whichaway, & kinda wished they'd allowed for more of a stealth approach to things. maybe i'm just being lame (hey, it's possible smile ), & it'll eventually click for me - everything else, the narration, the environment, the controls, & the climbing, felt very good...

That's exactly what I didn't like. I would also get what seemed to be instant death from something (that was a blur) when attempting to recharge the electric box (the third one) It occured multiple times from the same area.
Maybe I am missing something?

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2009, 05:53:39 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on May 26, 2009, 05:27:20 PM

I would also get what seemed to be instant death from something (that was a blur) when attempting to recharge the electric box (the third one) It occured multiple times from the same area.

I died a couple times around that point, and it turned out to be suicidal flame-powered enemies who would roar, charge, and explode right next to me for an instant kill.  They're easy to kill if you see them coming: just a couple ranged jolts will detonate them before they get close enough.

-Autistic Angel
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2009, 06:13:47 PM »

Just picked up my copy from EB. Can't believe a game actually came out on the actual release day, very rare for that to happen here in Canada. Anyway they gave me a extra power code so if anyone wants it just send me a pm.

Code is now gone.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:29:36 PM by Natjak » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2009, 07:23:31 PM »

Games radar is one of my least trusted review sites.  I was already planning to get prototype too, but that review sounded a bit petty.

The explosive guys are also easily avoided by simply climbing up onto something.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2009, 07:30:51 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 26, 2009, 05:53:39 PM

Quote from: DamageInc on May 26, 2009, 05:27:20 PM

I would also get what seemed to be instant death from something (that was a blur) when attempting to recharge the electric box (the third one) It occured multiple times from the same area.

I died a couple times around that point, and it turned out to be suicidal flame-powered enemies who would roar, charge, and explode right next to me for an instant kill.  They're easy to kill if you see them coming: just a couple ranged jolts will detonate them before they get close enough.

-Autistic Angel

Also, I think you can shockwave them back and make them take out other enemies.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2009, 10:50:01 PM »

Played for 2 hours. Got the day off somehow... Alot of fun to be had here. Thats for sure. It platforming,shooting,and other fun stuff rapped up in a comic book theme. Very fun stuff!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »

well, the decision which to get first has been made for me:  the local Gamestop was sold out (seriously, a PS3 game for a console that's starved for games and you don't think you're going to need a bunch of copies?  saywhat), and they don't have an ETA on when they'll be getting more copies.   I don't really feel like traveling to the nearest Target or Best Buy, but I got a couple of games in my backlog that I've been waiting to play but put off, so now I'm not going to wait until I can maybe get InfAmouS later this week.  who knows, maybe with it being the end of the quarter and the college kids trying to eke out that last big party I'll be able to find it used sooner than later.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2009, 01:38:35 AM »

I picked it up after work and have been playing pretty much non-stop for the last few hours.  I played Crackdown all the way through and loved every minute of it, but Infamous has it beat hands down.  My only complaints would be I really wish there was a way to lock-on to enemies, and the framerate does dip from time to time.  Neither of these are any more than minor nitpicks, as it's been an absolute blast to play so far.  I really don't see how anyone who loved Crackdown couldn't feel the same way about Infamous, except maybe the fact that you can drive in one and can't in the other.  I'm in agreement with the high marks this game has received, I'm not sure what the deal is with the few sites that gave it low scores.

Bottom line is that if you have a PS3, Infamous is a must-have in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:18:00 PM by Glycerine » Logged

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2009, 01:41:17 AM »

Quote from: Glycerine on May 27, 2009, 01:38:35 AM

I really don't see how anyone who loved Crackdown couldn't feel the same way about Infamous, except maybe the fact that you can drive in one and can't in the other. 

One hyphenated wordword....co-op.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2009, 02:11:38 AM »

...I played Crackdown all the way through and loved every minute of it, but Infamous has it beat hands down.

What is it about Infamous that makes you say this?  I tried the demo and liked it quite a bit... but I also loved Crackdown.  I'm just curious what aspects of Infamous beats Crackdown hands down for you.  Is it that there is a legitimate story that's better than "go beat up these mob bosses"?  Is the lack of driving and co-op play not that big a deal to you?  I'm trying to convince myself to go out and get it, but I need a push or two, and since we agree on Crackdown being great, you seem to be a good person to ask.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2009, 03:35:27 AM »

Thanks to Natjak for the gigawatt blades code.  The power is actually pretty cool, but of dubious usefulness.  Most combat in Infamous occurs at range, usually across buildings.  You do get into close combat a good amount, but even then the ranged powers still work fine.  On the other hand, the power basically gives you an electric blade and is a 1 hit kill on most enemies.  The problem is that some enemies will keep running away from you while you chase him, and all the while all his buddies are shooting at you.  Every time you hit en enemy with it goes into slow motion, which is a nice effect.  Also like other melee hits, you'll charge towards the closest enemy when you hit, so it's not too difficult to use.

Crud, I just remembered, after the first mission the game gauges your skill based on that mission and sets the difficulty to something they think you'd enjoy.  They set it to Hard mode for me, but even though I know I can handle that, I prefer playing on medium to get a better superhero feel.  So make sure you reset your difficulty to whatever you prefer after the first mission.  Right now in Hard mode, I'm dying a lot to random spawns, and getting sniped by random Reapers on rooftops that never end.  Enemies will also tend to move out of the way faster on hard mode when you aim a them.  The aforementioned rooftop reapers are a real pain since if I'm on the street, they'll peek up over the edge of the roof to shoot at me, then if I aim at they pop back.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:38:42 AM by Turtle » Logged
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2009, 04:58:07 AM »

i put in a few hours this evening and absolutely love it so far...great action and interesting story are what really have me hooked right now.  i've spent more time on side missions, cleaning up areas of the city, and picking up collectibles than anything else so far, and there's been a good bit of variety to keep things interesting.  while you spend a lot of time in combat, i've also done missions that require me to track a Reaper courier through the alleyways to steal his delivery without being spotted, climb along the outside of a building to take out hidden security cameras, and even follow a 'ghost' through the city just to name a few tasks.  at this point, i've cleaned up roughly 20% of the first island, restored power to two new sectors (love the lighting in the sewers), and unlocked quite a few new powers.  i think some of the most interesting parts so far have involved venturing into areas of the city without electricity...much more dangerous when you can't readily recharge your powers, and it's cool that your vision gets a little blurry to emphasize that you don't function well in dark areas.  overall i'm having a blast so far...can't wait to put in some more time and see where the story goes next.

as for comparisons to Crackdown, i've only put a fraction of the time into inFAMOUS so far that i spent on Crackdown, but i think i'm going to wind up enjoying inFAMOUS more in the end simply because i've already seen more variety in a few hours than i did all my time in Crackdown.  don't get me wrong, Crackdown was a ton of fun, but it was pretty repetitive and suffered from a severe lack of story to keep things interesting.  while i'm just scratching the surface of inFAMOUS' plot, i can already tell that it has more depth and should work very well to push the action forward beyond just telling you to kill a bunch of mob bosses.  while i'm all for mindless action in a lot of cases, i enjoy just about any game more if they put some effort into a good story, and i don't think i'll be disappointed with inFAMOUS. 

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2009, 10:41:26 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on May 27, 2009, 01:41:17 AM

I really don't see how anyone who loved Crackdown couldn't feel the same way about Infamous, except maybe the fact that you can drive in one and can't in the other. 

I can see where the no multi would be a game-killer for some, but I really never played Crackdown multi anyway so it's no big deal for me.

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2009, 11:26:36 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on May 27, 2009, 02:11:38 AM

What is it about Infamous that makes you say this?  I tried the demo and liked it quite a bit... but I also loved Crackdown.  I'm just curious what aspects of Infamous beats Crackdown hands down for you.  Is it that there is a legitimate story that's better than "go beat up these mob bosses"?  Is the lack of driving and co-op play not that big a deal to you?  I'm trying to convince myself to go out and get it, but I need a push or two, and since we agree on Crackdown being great, you seem to be a good person to ask.

As I said above, multiplayer really doesn't make much difference to me.  As for driving, I preferred the rooftops so I don't miss that at all either.  The story has me engaged and wanting to find out what's going on with Cole and his surroundings, which I don't even remember thinking much about in Crackdown.  I really like the gritty, realistic, presentation of the city and how it feels alive.  The climbing and jumping from Assassin's Creed make scaling buildings a breeze, gliding down power lines and rail tracks is a blast, and the powers are more than enough to make up for all the guns you could ever want.  The combat has been a blast so far, if not a bit challenging.  Cole can be killed pretty quickly with guns, so you really have to be careful and use cover.  The great thing is that even if you are almost dead, you can grab cover like Gears and wait to heal up.  If that's not fast enough, you can siphon energy from any electrical object.  Some will fill you up completely, while others will only give you a short boost.

Not sure what else to say.  If you are still on the fence, rent it first to see if it's something you'll like.  I don't usually buy console games unless I'm sure it's something I'll enjoy and get my money's worth.  I also want to reiterate this is just my opinion, I'm sure the Crackdown fanboys are screaming "BLASPHEMY!" while reading this.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:25:35 PM by Glycerine » Logged

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2009, 11:37:15 AM »

Nah... I'm not really interested in what fanboys think one way or another.  Your opinion and thoughts are all I really care about.  Thanks for those.

I do have one silly question though.  One of my favorite things to do in Crackdown was always to sit on top of a bridge and use the rocket launcher to blow the ever-loving crap out of cars.  Does anyone know if infamous has any powers that cause that type of total destruction?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »

And that is one H U G E difference.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2009, 11:49:28 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on May 27, 2009, 11:46:07 AM

And that is one H U G E difference.

To you, yes, to me, couldn't care less.

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on May 27, 2009, 11:37:15 AM

Nah... I'm not really interested in what fanboys think one way or another.  Your opinion and thoughts are all I really care about.  Thanks for those.

I do have one silly question though.  One of my favorite things to do in Crackdown was always to sit on top of a bridge and use the rocket launcher to blow the ever-loving crap out of cars.  Does anyone know if infamous has any powers that cause that type of total destruction?

Hmmm, so far the only thing similar has been the shock grenades you can stick to people.  Those have been pretty entertaining, but I'm sure there are more.  I also want to note that I'm playing a good guy, so my powers are becoming more controlled and do less collateral damage.  My next run will be evil, and from what I've read that's where you can really unleash carnage.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »

Are the gigawatt blade codes on-time use only?  Rats.  I would have liked those, I think.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2009, 12:55:32 PM »

I'm generally not a fan of open world games so take my impressions with a grain of salt but, a few hours in, and I'm having a blast.  I think what I enjoy most is just how organically the game ties everything together- doing side missions feels essential not only because some of them are actually linked to the main plot but because the process of doing so frees zones of the city from enemy control.  And, if you're playing a good guy, that's pretty nice because
Spoiler for Early game story spoiler:
with the initial premise that most in the city think you were responsible for the blast, so clearing the areas of enemies makes it feel like you're gradually winning over the citizens.

Movement through the game is an absolute joy- jumping from building to buidling, scaling walls, sliding on power lines, running on railings, all reinforce the image of Cole as a superhero.  And it makes even standard genre side missions stand out since race missions are now variations on Parkour and trailing people undetected is far more interesting when you are doing it from the rooftops. 

I also enjoy how well the game ties it's fiction into gameplay limitations- the electricity theme provides strong justification for why Cole can't use guns, drive cars, swim, etc. 

In a lot of ways it is quite similar to Assassins Creed with more involved platforming and side missions that don't suck. 

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 27, 2009, 12:55:32 PM

I'm generally not a fan of open world games so take my impressions with a grain of salt but, a few hours in, and I'm having a blast.  I think what I enjoy most is just how organically the game ties everything together

The negative comments above had me convinced I could take this off my list. Now you had to go and chime in and cost me $60. Thanks man! slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2009, 01:59:19 PM »

Put in way too much time with this yesterday and so far expectations have been met. I've cleared the first island of Reaper control and am about to head over to the first boss.

Side missions are nice and varied and the sense of progression is well done. I also like good or evil choices so far and can certainly see myself playing through again just to see how different all the powers are.

My one 'complaint' would be that so far the city doesn't have the greatest sense of character, but only having seen a third of it, that may change in the next few days.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2009, 02:43:21 PM »

I had no expectations for this game.  I bought it for the Uncharted 2 beta and was hoping it will at least mildly entertain.  I've only played a little but so far it's been fun but nothing groundbreaking.  Not sure why people think this is a console seller.  I guess if you're a huge Crackdown fan, it could be.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on May 27, 2009, 11:26:36 AM

Cole can be killed pretty quickly with guns, so you really have to be careful and use cover.

Yeah, as superheroes go, Cole has the constitution of Arthur from The Tick.  My first priorities have been acquiring the full 30% Damage Reduction from the Powers menu and tracking down as many Shards as possible.  It really helps that they show up on the minimap when you do the radar pulse; I've already added four or five batteries to my energy meter.

inFamous is the very first "moral choice" game in which I've decided to play as a villain.  Ever.  Baldur's Gate, Fable, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Spiderman: Web of Shadows -- it's very satisfying to *choose* a path of restraint and sacrifice and still do really well in the game.  This is my attempt to try something new and, so far, I'm not really seeing the appeal of role playing as a bully and a coward.  Electrocuting a police officer to steal his five Shards?  That may be quick and easy, but I bet completing the mission he asked me to do would have been a lot more fun.  Maybe I'll feel more rewarded once I unlock some of the more lethal Evil powers....

(Ironically, in games that specifically task you with being bad, I'm *really* bad.  My character in Evil Genius used to delight in publicly executing workers to inspire fealty among their colleagues, and would-be defectors were returned to obedience through the power of ruthless torture. icon_evil)

Overall, my impression so far is that inFamous is what you'd get if you took Assassin's Creed, stripped out the weird conceit that it was ever anything but an action-heavy superhero game, and replaced the vestigial stealth mechanics with a more challenging and varied combat system.  Cole is nowhere near as impervious to harm as Altair, so I've really had to think about how to use cover, climbing, and environmental dangers to my advantage.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to make some more progress tonight!

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2009, 04:36:02 PM »

this is one thing that got me in the demo:

I bet they put Cole in a chain link fence prison at the end  Tongue

Because I can,
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »

Haha, yeah. I was pretty shocked (see what I did there???) when I discovered that apparently his mad skills just doesn't seem to extend all the way to climbing a chain-link fence, of all things.

Overall, though, I'm having an absolute blast with the game.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2009, 05:52:08 PM »

So... silly question.  Does the pack he wear, which I assume is from his bike messenger days, serve any actual in-game purpose? Or is it just there to highlight the 47 man months they put into their new Strap Physics Engine?  icon_smile

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2009, 06:30:20 PM »

I finally got around to playing the demo.  I didn't feel like the powers were all that fun to play around with and I felt it's way too easy to die from stupid stuff like my own shock bombs and gun fire from enemies that are really far away.  I do like the close combat and just running around and climbing things.  Is there a power like Force lightning where it's a constant stream of electricity?  Anyway, this game is still on my radar and I'll probably pick it up when I see it for $30.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2009, 06:40:47 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 27, 2009, 05:52:08 PM

So... silly question.  Does the pack he wear, which I assume is from his bike messenger days, serve any actual in-game purpose?

Not officially, but if I were living in a lawless dystopia, I might want to carry around some important stuff with me.

There's also no explanation for why Cole's physiology is so disruptive that gunpowder and automobiles explode on contact, but his off-the-shelf cell phone works perfectly.

Quote from: GatorFavre on May 27, 2009, 06:30:20 PM

Is there a power like Force lightning where it's a constant stream of electricity?

There's an Evil power called something like "Arc Lightning" that fires continuously, but I need to do a couple more Evil missions before I unlock it.  I'll let you know what it's like.

-Autistic Angel
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2009, 06:44:17 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 27, 2009, 06:40:47 PM

Quote from: GatorFavre on May 27, 2009, 06:30:20 PM

Is there a power like Force lightning where it's a constant stream of electricity?

There's an Evil power called something like "Arc Lightning" that fires continuously, but I need to do a couple more Evil missions before I unlock it.  I'll let you know what it's like.

-Autistic Angel

Oh cool, that sounds pretty close to what I would like.  I might cave on this one sooner rather than later.  Or actually, does anyone know how long it takes to beat this game?  I may give it a rental.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2009, 10:26:19 PM »

Well, his phone is electricity based, so the low level of electricity running through his hands (when he's in control) probably recharges them, as opposed to detonating the fuel tank in cars or gunpowder in bullets.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2009, 11:45:38 PM »

I'm weak.  after reading this thread I ended up scoring a copy even though I just started another Assassins Creed playthrough.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2009, 05:15:35 AM »

I'm almost through the first 'island' (doing all the optional objectives, and playing on the side of Good) and I'm having an absolute blast of a time. It really feels like a combination of Assassin's Creed, Sly Cooper, and the basics of a FPS, with a bit of strategy thrown in for fun. I love how you can approach your mission objectives from multiple directions (usually), and I love the 'good or evil' choices. They're very obvious choices, but hearing Cole just think them out beforehand makes it feel like you're really inside his head.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2009, 07:03:36 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 27, 2009, 03:35:27 AM

Right now in Hard mode, I'm dying a lot to random spawns, and getting sniped by random Reapers on rooftops that never end.  Enemies will also tend to move out of the way faster on hard mode when you aim a them.  The aforementioned rooftop reapers are a real pain since if I'm on the street, they'll peek up over the edge of the roof to shoot at me, then if I aim at they pop back.

I'm on medium and I'm getting that alot too, especially from Reapers who seem to be out of range of my lightning bolts.  first thing I did because of that was to max out the damage reduction skill.  I decided to play good, even though I did make one mistake and zapped the riot police while still in the crowd.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2009, 12:28:54 PM »

I'd forgotten that Sucker Punch games actually start when you press the Start button, if you want the menu you have to press Select. And with the way this game starts it's almost as if you blow up the city. Gah! What the? icon_cool

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 28, 2009, 12:28:54 PM

I'd forgotten that Sucker Punch games actually start when you press the Start button, if you want the menu you have to press Select. And with the way this game starts it's almost as if you blow up the city. Gah! What the? icon_cool

Another great touch is that the game auto-loads your last save as soon as the disc boots. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »

I grabbed the one (??!!) copy my local Blockbuster got in last night and played for about 2 hours.

I agree with the above descriptions of a combination of Assassin's Creed and Crackdown.  The story is pretty generic and forgettable. But these games aren't really about story anyway.  The platforming and combat are great.  The character animations and cover system are a huge upgrade over Crackdown, while the mission variety and amount of ways you can approach encounters blows away Assassin's Creed.

Overall I'm very impressed so far.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 28, 2009, 05:15:35 AM

I'm almost through the first 'island' (doing all the optional objectives, and playing on the side of Good) and I'm having an absolute blast of a time. It really feels like a combination of Assassin's Creed, Sly Cooper, and the basics of a FPS, with a bit of strategy thrown in for fun. I love how you can approach your mission objectives from multiple directions (usually), and I love the 'good or evil' choices. They're very obvious choices, but hearing Cole just think them out beforehand makes it feel like you're really inside his head.

I'm nearly 70% finished liberating the Neon District (the first island), and the more I play, the more the game grows on me.  It just has a very natural feel: if you want to shimmy up a pole, leap across a gap to balance on a narrow pipe, and then drop down to a power line suspended below, you can do all those things in exactly the way you want and still be fighting enemies while you do it.

I picked up the first-tier Evil improvement that causes Shock Grenades to divide into three pieces on impact, and it's already been really useful.  I was on my way to the next story mission deep inside one of the Blackout zones when a whole truckload of Reapers came swarming out to ambush me.  After I ducked around the corner and clambered up the nearest building, they made the mistake of charging through a narrow alleyway where I was able to bounce my cluster grenades off the opposing wall and rain explosives down on the entire mob.  The "Sticky Grenade" bonus alone must have netted an extra 100 experience.  icon_cool

Progress in the game is tiered based on your progress through the story, so the more advanced karma ranks, powers, and upgrades won't unlock until they're scripted to.  It still doesn't feel constrictive, though, because for all the side missions I've completed and random baddies I've killed, I still haven't earned enough experience to buy all the upgrades that already available.  XP gain is tied directly to how fancy your combat takedowns are, with growing bonuses for melee brawls, knocking thugs off high roofs, or crushing them beneath wreckage, so there's a lot of incentive to experiment with your powers.  

Games like this can get tedious if you're stuck slogging through random battles long after you've purchased every upgrade available and the rewards are gone, so I'll be interested to see in inFamous can keep things fresh with more cool enemy types like the Conduits.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 28, 2009, 03:18:46 PM

XP gain is tied directly to how fancy your combat takedowns are, with growing bonuses for melee brawls, knocking thugs off high roofs, or crushing them beneath wreckage, so there's a lot of incentive to experiment with your powers.  

I've been preferring melee over ranged attacks right now since the melee usually nets me 10xp (5 take down and 5 melee takedown) which adds up quickly.  that's a good think to know about the karmic levels too, I've been trying to get the next one by running around and healing everyone I can find but ti didn't seem to be doing anything (then again does healing give you good points?).

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 28, 2009, 03:27:35 PM

that's a good think to know about the karmic levels too, I've been trying to get the next one by running around and healing everyone I can find but ti didn't seem to be doing anything (then again does healing give you good points?).

Yes, healing is a Good action, while bio-draining is an Evil one.  You'll see your Karma meter flash blue or red as you do it *unless* you're already at your maximum level for that point in the story.  I've progressed from "Thug" to "Outlaw," but I won't be able to accrue any more Evil karma until I progress further into the story.

Good or Evil, I've found that bio-drain can be invaluable for surviving in the Blackout zones.  I've collected enough Shards to nearly double my starting battery life, and feasting on a single downed person is still enough to completely recharge my energy and heal my wounds.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: