http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 04:04:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First 2 InFAMOUS Review  (Read 11168 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »

bah, don't bother me with numbers, average it out!  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2009, 09:31:54 PM »

woah...giant list of busted links...might want to fix those Maggot icon_wink 
it looks like they all have the same problem...the address is set in quotes in the link code.  thanks for posting the numbers though icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2009, 09:50:58 PM »

Looks like this will be my first purchase of 2009.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2009, 02:14:33 AM »

played the demo and I liked it, making this possibly the first day one purchase for the PS3 for me (provided my hands uncramp by then- must find those realtriggers).  I kept on getting the 'Abandoned Mission' screen though- I assume that's just their way of limiting the demo?

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2009, 08:37:28 AM »

mmmmmm. Lookin good. I had no expections for this but wow!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2009, 12:33:01 PM »

Yeah, after the demo, I decided to not try and get into any games that might eat up a lot of my time until this comes out.  I got the feeling I'm going to be InFAMOUS-centric for the next little while.

I wish someone would use the same control scheme and make a superhero game that was less broody.  I'm sure it's right for the story they've written and all, but I'd like a less real-world capes game, too.  I would love to be doing the same stuff in flashy tights. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2009, 05:06:30 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 22, 2009, 12:33:01 PM

I would love to be doing the same stuff in flashy tights. 

Probably falls into the TMI camp.  slywink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »

i think i'm in for this regardless, but i can't help but wonder how inFamous and Prototype will compare to each other.  they seem similar enough that it's really unlikely i'll pick up both any time soon...maybe one now (inFAMOUS), and the other after a few months and a price drop...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 22, 2009, 05:06:30 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 22, 2009, 12:33:01 PM

I would love to be doing the same stuff in flashy tights. 

Probably falls into the TMI camp.  slywink

Says the guy named MonkeyFinger.  icon_razz

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »

I'm going to give the demo another try later today, but it definitely didn't give me the feeling of a game that should be garnering so many rave reviews. It is definitely solid, but based upon the demo I don't think it reaches the level of refinement and greatness that most professional reviews would lead one to believe.  

<very minor spoilers>

In the first mission I'm guarding a train that is stops every five $%# seconds, forcing me to jump down, reset the track, and then jump back on.....only to stop again 5 seconds later. It would have been much better if the train was careening out of control, or if it was being massively assaulted as I tried to break away with it.  But to make me stop-start-stop-start....not very heroic. No sense of urgency.

I also found the water tower mission to be very lukewarm. Again, it just had no sense of scale or urgency. And the protect missions just seem to go on waaay too long. 12 waves of enemies? At least there are checkpoints during those missions

<spoilers off>

-The climbing mechanics are also somewhat loose. More than once I tried jumping onto a telephone pole, only to jump directly past it.

-The graphics are colorful, but they are also very "jagged". It reminds me alot of GTA, but with less blurriness.  I honestly expected the game to be sharper and more detailed.

-Even on easy it was possible to die too quickly. I'm not sure if that relates to the level of my character at that point, but the enemies that shot fireballs could take me out with 1-2 solid hits.

I do like the implementation of the superpowers, however. The control layout is well down, there was no slowdown even with all kinds of activity on the screen. Sucker Punch did a good job making the city feel alive and vibrant. There is definitely a good game here, but it doesn't feel like a significantly better game than Crackdown. To date, I feel that Tom Chick has the most level-headed professional reviewer comments about the game. I think the demo would have been better served if they focused less on the generic missions with waves of carbon copy enemies, and instead let you try your hand at a few of the more atypical enemies. I understand the game is a sandbox, but show me the better parts of the sandbox. smile

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 07:44:48 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2009, 07:43:55 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 22, 2009, 07:30:09 PM

I'm going to give the demo another try later today, but it definitely didn't give me the feeling of a game that should be garnering so many rave reviews. It is definitely solid, but based upon the demo I don't think it reaches the level of refinement and greatness that most professional reviews would lead one to believe.  

Heh, I kind of have the opposite reaction- not the game specifically (haven't played the demo yet) but demos these days tend to be so awful even when the game is good or even great, that I take a relatively decent demo as a sign that the game must be really, really good. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 22, 2009, 07:43:55 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 22, 2009, 07:30:09 PM

Heh, I kind of have the opposite reaction- not the game specifically (haven't played the demo yet) but demos these days tend to be so awful even when the game is good or even great, that I take a relatively decent demo as a sign that the game must be really, really good. 

The demo is well done. I really couldn't see it turning anyone away from the game.  It just didn't have any "HOLY FU---!" moments. I think part of the problem might be that I've already played Crackdown, so Infamous has a little bit of the "been there, done that" vibe going on. If I only owned a PS3, this game would definitely be something different and my feelings would probably be more pronounced.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 22, 2009, 07:48:31 PM

The demo is well done. I really couldn't see it turning anyone away from the game.  It just didn't have any "HOLY FU---!" moments.

I guess my point is that very, very few demos this generation have had "HOLY FU---!" moments even when the full games do so it isn't anything that I would expect. 

I'm firmly of the belief that the widespread availability of demos this generation have probably done more to turn people off of games than to get them to buy a game they wouldn't otherwise. 
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »

Giantbomb has about a 25 minute quick look up on their site, footage of the gameplay was from about halfway through the game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-infamous/17-629/

I've had a PS3 for just over a year now and other than a loaned copy of Motorstorm, and some GHWT due to my 360 being borked I've yet to play anything on it, InFAMOUS will be the first real game I get for the system, I've been looking forward to it since it was the cover story of EDGE earlier this year.  Why couldn't they have released it before the holiday weekend frown

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2009, 12:41:53 AM »

Quote from: disarm on May 22, 2009, 07:00:16 PM

i think i'm in for this regardless, but i can't help but wonder how inFamous and Prototype will compare to each other.  they seem similar enough that it's really unlikely i'll pick up both any time soon...maybe one now (inFAMOUS), and the other after a few months and a price drop...

watching the videos of the two games, it feels like protype is in God mode at all times, while inFamous is less over the top
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2009, 01:43:05 AM »

Quote from: disarm on May 22, 2009, 07:00:16 PM

Prototype is being made by the same people who did The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, and if it's the spiritual successor that it appears to be, it has less in common with inFamous than you might expect.

My time with the inFamous demo suggests an emphasis on ranged combat and using the environment to avoid enemy fire.  Cole can't take many hits -- even the player in the GiantBomb Quick Look died repeatedly in every mission he tried -- so he's best served by a quick hit-and-run tactics where he can break up clusters of enemies and nimbly dash out of sight when he needs to regenerate his health.

The best way to handle clusters of enemies in Hulk: UD was to leap onto the canopy of a nearby Comanche helicopter, flip-kick it into the formation of soldiers, and then crumple the resulting wreckage into a pair of wrecking-ball gloves to punch their tanks to death.  It was absolute, unbridled havoc that encouraged the maximum amount of collateral damage, and it excelled at wild aerial combat in a way that even the recent Spiderman game couldn't quite match.  Footage of Prototype has the protagonist using atomic elbow-drops to fold armored vehicles in half, so I'm expecting a similar sense of wanton destruction.

If I'm right, inFamous has as much as common with Prototype as Sly Cooper has with Ratchet & Clank -- they're both cartoonish 3D platformers, but where one emphasizes discretion and finesse, the other is about inventive ways to blow things up.  Also, I'll love them both. nod

-Autistic Angel
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2009, 04:09:07 AM »

GiantBomb's Review -- 5/5 Stars

-Autistic Angel
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2009, 04:14:34 AM »

Looks good.  Will buy.

gellar
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2009, 10:27:14 PM »

just finished playing the demo and i'm definitely in on day one...combat works extremely well, the missions in the demo were interesting, graphics are pretty good, and the overall game just feels right.  while i can see where complaints of the climbing being almost too 'sticky' at times start, i think that's something that could be overcome as you get used to the controls.  the character does have a tendency to grab everything in sight, even if it's not quite what you want, but i was already figuring out a few ways to compensate in just my short time with the demo.  the upside is that the climbing works incredibly well...not quite as mindless as Assassin's Creed, but still easy to run up just about anything without much effort.  overall, i really enjoyed the demo and can't wait to get my hands on the full game icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2009, 03:45:44 AM »

I cant wait. This looks to be day 1 for me as well. I`m downloading the demo tonight, but I`m sure from what I`ve read I will likey nod!
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2009, 06:12:27 AM »

Rented this from BlockB on Friday, couldn't believe that they had it, and have played about 5 hours and it is very very good.  I love the climbing aspects and the electric powers are fun to play around with.  This is the first
character that I am playing as "Bad" and it's a blast.  It does have a lot of finding items but they do make it easy because if you are close to one you can click in the L3 button and it will show up on the map.  I've played
Crackdown quite a bit and it does have similarities but I think I may like this one more.

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2009, 04:04:55 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 20, 2009, 09:31:54 PM

woah...giant list of busted links...might want to fix those Maggot icon_wink 
it looks like they all have the same problem...the address is set in quotes in the link code.  thanks for posting the numbers though icon_cool

Oh damm copy pasting the links didnt work well... But not going to bother, find them on the site yourself lazy people. :p
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2009, 06:43:12 AM »

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »

Played the demo last night for awhile.  Although I am dying a lot more than I would like...  I think the game is a crapton of fun.  I'll get it.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2009, 02:18:47 PM »

Played the demo and really enjoyed it.  I am definitely going to purchase this one at some point (in the next couple of weeks).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2009, 04:51:43 PM »

I just finished the demo as well.  Seems alot like Crackdown with a little more focus minus vehicles and co-op.  I will probably be renting this when I see it at Blockbuster.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2009, 12:55:13 AM »

wait.. we can heal other people in the game?

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2009, 12:56:54 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 26, 2009, 12:55:13 AM

wait.. we can heal other people in the game?

Yeah. I was in a battle with those weird bad guys in the demo and they shot a bystander. If you walk over...and I think press R2 it brings up a menu to heal or kill them.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2009, 12:39:34 PM »

GamesRadar cuts to the chase with this comment:

Prototype
Itís normally not our policy to compare a game thatís been reviewed to a game that hasnít, even when the latter is just weeks away from release. However, the few hours weíve spent playing Prototype have already been considerably more enjoyable than huge swaths of inFamous. To be fair, the two are different beasts Ė Prototype is balls-out chaotic and amoral, while inFamous takes a more thoughtful, deliberate approach to being a hero Ė but sprinting up walls and devouring civilians in Manhattan is a lot more fun than hopping around on rooftops in Empire City. Having the option to use vehicles and guns certainly doesnít hurt, either. Our advice? If you can only afford one, save your money.

The also compare it to Spider-Man: Web of Shadows and Crackdown (it fairs better than both).

Their score is only 7/10.  Bionic Commando scored an 8.
You'll love
Cutscenes and story are striking, well-written
Powers are fun to play around with
Good-evil choices mean more replayability
You'll hate
First half starts strong, then kind of plods
A lot of the side missions are repetitive busywork
Empire City just isn't much fun to explore

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2009, 01:34:31 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 26, 2009, 12:39:34 PM

The also compare it to Spider-Man: Web of Shadows and Crackdown (it fairs better than both).

BLASPHAMY!!!  (RE:Crackdown)  icon_biggrin

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2009, 02:16:40 PM »

Empire City just isn't much fun to explore

I can see how this would be true just from the demo.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2009, 02:25:16 PM »

GamesRadar cuts to the chase with this comment:

Prototype
Itís normally not our policy to compare a game thatís been reviewed to a game that hasnít, even when the latter is just weeks away from release. However, the few hours weíve spent playing Prototype have already been considerably more enjoyable than huge swaths of inFamous. To be fair, the two are different beasts Ė Prototype is balls-out chaotic and amoral, while inFamous takes a more thoughtful, deliberate approach to being a hero Ė but sprinting up walls and devouring civilians in Manhattan is a lot more fun than hopping around on rooftops in Empire City. Having the option to use vehicles and guns certainly doesnít hurt, either. Our advice? If you can only afford one, save your money.

well damn, I was going to get InfaMouS and put off Prototype, but now I may put off iNFAmOUs and get Prototype instead.

Because I can,
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2009, 02:42:54 PM »

well damn, I was going to get InfaMouS and put off Prototype, but now I may put off iNFAmOUs and get Prototype instead.
because why? one review site compares a game they played versus one they just started to play, makes no sense.  Personally I dont trust most of these sites , too much shannigans going on.
 Commentators and reporters etc everyday are manipulated and used by wall street, and I pretty sure this practice is being done all over now. All these mags, sites etc are hurting and hurting bad, they are not above pimping for their larger clients.
 Personally I take the reviews from the gamers here much more to heart.

I'm firmly of the belief that the widespread availability of demos this generation have probably done more to turn people off of games than to get them to buy a game they wouldn't otherwise. 
agree completely.  Fact is most people are simply not too bright, and often will jump to many wrong conclusions based on a short demo. 

You dont see movie makers  and Hollywood allowing people to watch 15 minutes of their films do you?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:46:09 PM by tcweidner » Logged

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2009, 02:56:31 PM »

I never really heard of this game until this last week, and I downloaded the demo.  I'm not sure what to think really.  Nothing really stood out, and it kind of felt plain.  I've seen videos of prototype and I'm not sure I'll even like that.  It seems way over the top.  Hopefully there's a demo for that game as well.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2009, 03:08:42 PM »

Quote from: tcweidner on May 26, 2009, 02:42:54 PM

because why? one review site compares a game they played versus one they just started to play, makes no sense.  Personally I dont trust most of these sites , too much shannigans going on.
 Commentators and reporters etc everyday are manipulated and used by wall street, and I pretty sure this practice is being done all over now. All these mags, sites etc are hurting and hurting bad, they are not above pimping for their larger clients.

agree completely.  Fact is most people are simply not too bright, and often will jump to many wrong conclusions based on a short demo. 

You dont see movie makers  and Hollywood allowing people to watch 15 minutes of their films do you?

Actually, you do see that all the time.

I agree that CeeKay (and others) shouldn't put off buying this on one review.  Nearly every other review has ranked the game in the 80s or 90s.  It's possible that those are where the money is going and GamesRadar is the truthful one, but I wouldn't throw the game out based on their take alone.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 26, 2009, 03:08:42 PM

Actually, you do see that all the time.

I agree that CeeKay (and others) shouldn't put off buying this on one review.  Nearly every other review has ranked the game in the 80s or 90s.  It's possible that those are where the money is going and GamesRadar is the truthful one, but I wouldn't throw the game out based on their take alone.

it sounds like I'm going to have more fun with mass destruction on the level that Prototype is offering, but I also thought Prototype was due out next week, but it's the week after, so I may end up getting infaMOUS now and just trading it in towards Prototypes release.

Because I can,
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »

GamesRadar is the truthful one, but
highly doubtful, when a reviewer goes, dont buy this one, buy that one, my bullshit meter goes through the roof. Thats not reviewing, thats pimping

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2009, 03:53:23 PM »

Quote from: tcweidner on May 26, 2009, 03:39:17 PM

highly buy this one through the roof. Thats reviewing

Whee, out of context quoting is fun!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2009, 04:01:49 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 26, 2009, 03:53:23 PM

Quote from: tcweidner on May 26, 2009, 03:39:17 PM

highly buy this one through the roof. Thats reviewing

Whee, out of context quoting is fun!

true out of context quoting would have been:

dont buy this one, buy that one

Tongue

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2009, 04:43:08 PM »

Fact is most people are simply not too bright, and often will jump to many wrong conclusions based on a short demo. 

I admit I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree.  But if a demo can't keep me interested for 15 minutes, I'm not spending $60 for the full game.

I'm going to solve the INFamous/Prototype question by renting both and playing them for less than $20.   icon_biggrin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: