http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 12:15:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First 15 minutes of Dark Sector on PS3  (Read 4418 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 27, 2008, 08:51:53 PM

Well shit, I bought this game as well.  Hopefully I'll have more fun with this game than Hark. 

I hope so too for your sake.  Hopefully this time we don't think alike at all.  Let me know.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2008, 01:06:19 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 27, 2008, 01:07:28 PM

Quote from: JuniorDan on March 27, 2008, 01:04:30 PM

I just pulled this game off of my GF list. Thanks Hark, sorry you had to take such a big hit for the team but I am sure we all appreciate your sacrifice.

+1

+2.  I'll pour a 40 out in your name.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2008, 02:56:29 AM »

I'm going to give this a rental.  Here's the thing, the control issues Hark talks about are likely things he would find wrong with Resident Evil 4, despite that being a really good game as well.  Meanwhile, Gears is Very much an third person shooter with the very direct FPS controls.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2008, 03:14:46 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 27, 2008, 10:32:43 AM

I played a couple more hours last night and twice I had to stop and force myself to continue.  There's a scene in the sewars that's completely dark (even with brightness up a couple notches) where you get no less than 8 wave of badguys in cramped quarters coming at you.  You can't really see them and when they get close and you are near a wall the camera zooms in so all you see is the back of your dude and the back of his head.  Then when you take damage you get a bit of red mixed in with the blackness that makes it even harder to see.

The ability to buy weapons and customize them is pretty cool, but mostly irrelevant if controlling the weapons is such a pain.

I will say that guiding the glaive around in bullet time is a blast, if that's all you had to do in the game I'd play Duck Hunt - Glaive Edition.

I'm more than willing to sell the game to any of you who are seriously wanting to try it or think it'd be a good game for you.  As long as you know what you're getting into.  I'd just hate to take the $35 sting for a couple days of miserable gaming experiences if I trade it in for $25 frown There has to be someone who would actually enjoy this piece of crap slywink

I actually quite like it.  I am in chapter 4 now and have been having a blast.  There are a few of those Resident Evil moments in the sewers and I died a couple of times in there, but I eventually got through it.  Great atmosphere and a very cool weapon are making this one a surprise hit for me.  Meleeing someone with the glaive is great because you get to do a finisher with the B button most of the time and finishers are very brutal and look cool as hell.  It's no Gears of War, but then again Gears didn't have a weapon as cool as the glaive either.  As long as it doesn't get overly repetitive, I can see me finishing this one.  While it's no game of the year candidate, it certainly isn't the dog a few people have made it out to be.  I would say it's a solid 7.5 to 7.8 game if I had to give it a score.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on March 28, 2008, 03:14:46 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on March 27, 2008, 10:32:43 AM

I played a couple more hours last night and twice I had to stop and force myself to continue.  There's a scene in the sewars that's completely dark (even with brightness up a couple notches) where you get no less than 8 wave of badguys in cramped quarters coming at you.  You can't really see them and when they get close and you are near a wall the camera zooms in so all you see is the back of your dude and the back of his head.  Then when you take damage you get a bit of red mixed in with the blackness that makes it even harder to see.

The ability to buy weapons and customize them is pretty cool, but mostly irrelevant if controlling the weapons is such a pain.

I will say that guiding the glaive around in bullet time is a blast, if that's all you had to do in the game I'd play Duck Hunt - Glaive Edition.

I'm more than willing to sell the game to any of you who are seriously wanting to try it or think it'd be a good game for you.  As long as you know what you're getting into.  I'd just hate to take the $35 sting for a couple days of miserable gaming experiences if I trade it in for $25 frown There has to be someone who would actually enjoy this piece of crap slywink

I actually quite like it.  I am in chapter 4 now and have been having a blast.  There are a few of those Resident Evil moments in the sewers and I died a couple of times in there, but I eventually got through it.  Great atmosphere and a very cool weapon are making this one a surprise hit for me.  Meleeing someone with the glaive is great because you get to do a finisher with the B button most of the time and finishers are very brutal and look cool as hell.  It's no Gears of War, but then again Gears didn't have a weapon as cool as the glaive either.  As long as it doesn't get overly repetitive, I can see me finishing this one.  While it's no game of the year candidate, it certainly isn't the dog a few people have made it out to be.  I would say it's a solid 7.5 to 7.8 game if I had to give it a score.

I'm with The man on this one.  I only just got to the sewers (Chapter 3), but I was only expecting to play one chapter.  I would have kept going, too, but I had to sleep. 

Once I got the Glaive, I think I used a gun a small handful of times.  Sometimes it's quicker to throw it and then use the pistol to finish someone off, but it's more fun to just wait and use the Glaive again.  The G doesn't have a long range,so you might benefit from firing on someone at a distance, but it's usually better to close in on them and throw.  Other weapons you pick up have some sort of bio-lock on them and are only useful for a ridiculously short time (they beep and then pop in your hands).  Basically, it's a game design to let you know that your supposed to use the Glaive.  And that's not a problem, because it's incredible fun to use.  Really, it's the point of the game. 

The game is highly polished, too.  I've seen complaints about the story, but I like it.  At least it has something linking the levels together.  There have been a few Holy Crap! moments, too, which is always fun.  My only complaint in this department is that the lead does kind of look like a One Tree Hill extra, as X-Play put it.  At least his eyes aren't pushed out too far on the sides of his head like the dude in Condemned 2 (I don't remember him looking quite so freaky in the first one).  With his pasty skin, that guy looks like a washed up fish.

Dark Sector is a solid game, IMO.  I can see myself playing straight through to the end, which doesn't happen often in the FPS genre for me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »

I wish I could be so easily satisfied as some of you then, maybe I wouldn't feel like I just threw away the $60.  With the quality of games I've played in this last year, I see no need to put up with the shortcomings of this game.

I also was put off right at the beginning when the exact same bump mapping texture was used on the external shots of the sub and then on the stone walls in the sewer. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2008, 04:34:49 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 28, 2008, 04:32:23 PM

I wish I could be so easily satisfied as some of you then, maybe I wouldn't feel like I just threw away the $60.  With the quality of games I've played in this last year, I see no need to put up with the shortcomings of this game.

I also was put off right at the beginning when the exact same bump mapping texture was used on the external shots of the sub and then on the stone walls in the sewer. 

Yeah, it's nice to be simple and easily appealed.  Happy to be one of the masses.  It must be tough to be so geared for perfection. icon_wink

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2008, 05:56:51 PM »

On the other hand, people have different opinions.  What you see as shortcomings simply don't affect certain people.  And that's not because we're easily satisfied, but it may because we're looking for different kinds of games.

It used to be that I wouldn't touch a game that was in the 70% range in review scores, then I realized that a lot of those 70% games were quite good, and that the things that bugged reviewers or other players didn't bug me.  Not because my standards were lower, in fact I have very high standards in many areas, it's just that some things are also non-issues.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2008, 06:15:14 PM »

I've put about 8 hours into the game so far and think it's excellent.

If you liked resident evil 4 and uncharted and think jamming the 2 games together could be fun, you'll probably like this.

If you're not a fan of over the shoulder cover based shooters stay away, you won't like it.

They even ratcheted up the standard difficulty from what I've experienced a lot lately. I have died a lot, but haven't yet died so much I got frustrated. Good balance.

I'm not agreeing with a lot of the complaints yet. I'll update if suddenly the last 8 hours completely invalidate the first, but I kinda doubt it.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 06:55:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 28, 2008, 01:06:19 AM

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 27, 2008, 01:07:28 PM

Quote from: JuniorDan on March 27, 2008, 01:04:30 PM

I just pulled this game off of my GF list. Thanks Hark, sorry you had to take such a big hit for the team but I am sure we all appreciate your sacrifice.

+1

+2.  I'll pour a 40 out in your name.

if you have a fry's in your area, you can take $10 out of the sting of buying this and pricematch where you bought it.

small consolation, i know, but at least it's something. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2008, 04:02:53 PM »

Gave it a rent on 360, and I've been pleasantly surprised...fun game so far.  I love the Glaive weapon. 

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »

I just finished it and still don't understand all the hate.

It's at least worth a rental, but I will probably play through it at least one more time so I'm glad I bought it.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2008, 05:19:42 PM »

I've just put in a couple of hours into this game and I am still on the fence.  Sometimes, the graphics look fantastic (the lighting effects are pretty cool), while others the textures are blurry, etc etc...

My biggest gripe has to be the controls.  They just feel loose IMO.  The reticule acts like Mario did on ice.  It slides past the point where you stop, which is a huge NO-NO in a shooter.  Story so far is pretty non-existent and the glaive is way too weak of a weapon when used as a melee weapon.  It takes two hits of the glaive to kill a baddie when you throw it, but 4 or 6 as melee?  WTF?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2008, 09:15:31 PM »

According to the email from PS.blog I just got, there's a Dark Sector Demo up on the PSN store today.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2008, 02:23:50 PM »

I just tried out the Dark Sector demo for the PS3-is it just me or is the demo really short?  I kill off a bunch of enemies and then there's a gate that's all chained up but I can't seem to find a way to break the lock-is that all there is?  Anyways my impressions based on the demo is that I loved it! I can't stand FPS games on the consoles but I the controls on Dark Sector to be excellent and really easy to control (I guess that would be because it isn't a FPS-but it's got the aiming mechanism that makes me feel like I'm playing one).  The combat seemed great and I really enjoyed the very short time I had with it. I'll definitely be picking it up if I can find it cheap enough.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2008, 08:13:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure it went on until a helocopter fight then ends after a cutscene.  It was short, but not that short.

I forget how to get past the locked fence.

Currently a friend has my copy Dark Sector otherwise I'd offer it up in trade.  Just beware that what you see is what you get, although things do mix up about 3/4ths the way in, you'll still be fighting a majority of human opponents with the same AI, same moves, etc...  But it's still fun when you use your powers.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2008, 09:09:47 PM »

considering how this was panned pretty much everywhere, it should be hitting clearance status in a few short months. 

i'm surprised that you haven't seen it cheaper over in japan yet as i usually heard that games drop faster over there.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2008, 12:46:01 AM »

to break the lock you need to the throw the glaive at it with a power shot. to do this hold down the L2 (to get aiming mode) and hold the glaive throw button (R2?) until it glows orange. this will give a power throw. it's a timing thing so the window of opportunity is short. if you have a dualshock it will vibrate when it hits the release point.

And look past the mediocre scores. the story is about the only thing that's kinda weak. the gameplay is really fun.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »

Ahh I didn't realize you had to time the glaive throw to perfection to get the power throw.  That did it for me.  Any hints as to how to beat that huge guy throwing pillars at you in the cathedral?  I emptied thousands of rounds into him but he wouldnt die and my Glavius just seems to bounce off of him.  I've only played the demos of this and Uncharted but I would have to say that one is just as good as the other, and Dark Sector might be just a little bit more fun!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »

Throw the glaive through the fire to catch it on fire.  Then hit him with it and he will eventually burst into flames and fall to the ground.  Once on the ground you have to nail the soft spot on his back.  Rinse and repeat til your nails grow 3 inches long.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 23, 2008, 09:09:47 PM

considering how this was panned pretty much everywhere, it should be hitting clearance status in a few short months. 

i'm surprised that you haven't seen it cheaper over in japan yet as i usually heard that games drop faster over there.

Agree.  Once I can get it for under $30 for the PS3 I think I will nab it for my paltry PS3 collection; a whopping two game smorgasbord.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2008, 02:35:43 PM »

Picked this up for the 360 for 17.95 used at GameStop (it just underwent a price drop to 19.99 new).  I'm almost finished with it as it's pretty short.  I really enjoy combat in the game, but would it have killed them to include at least a halfway decent story?  Other than the really flimsy excuse to go out and kill things with the incredibly fun glaive, I would recommend it for a cheap FPS gaming fix for the 360.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »

A 73% Gamersankings score is a pan now?  Most of the reviews I remember reading echo comments here that the combat was a load of fun, but the story was weak.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2008, 11:06:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 10, 2008, 09:32:34 PM

A 73% Gamersankings score is a pan now?  Most of the reviews I remember reading echo comments here that the combat was a load of fun, but the story was weak.

73% is pretty much the equivalent of a C-, sounds like that's 'being panned' to me.  I noticed I have the PS3 demo downloaded but I never installed it.  maybe I should give it a spin.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2008, 12:44:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 10, 2008, 11:06:20 PM

73% is pretty much the equivalent of a C-, sounds like that's 'being panned' to me.  I noticed I have the PS3 demo downloaded but I never installed it.  maybe I should give it a spin.

Gamespot describes their 75% score as "Good."  IGN's 7.7 is described exactly the same way.  So Good = Pan.  Got it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2008, 03:51:47 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 11, 2008, 12:44:02 AM

Gamespot describes their 75% score as "Good."  IGN's 7.7 is described exactly the same way.  So Good = Pan.  Got it.

I've always looked at percentages like the grading scale, and even 75% or 77 (7.7 out of 10's equivalent) would be a C, C+ at the most.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2008, 04:28:34 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2008, 03:51:47 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 11, 2008, 12:44:02 AM

I've always looked at percentages like the grading scale, and even 75% or 77 (7.7 out of 10's equivalent) would be a C, C+ at the most.

And yet, that's not how they do it.

I'm just saying that the reviews were actually pretty positive for this title.  It shouldn't be classified as having been panned.

Thank you for the head pat, though.   Roll Eyes

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »

Getting back on topic  Tongue

i'm about one level away from the final boss battle and the only other annoying thing i've found is that sometimes the "puzzles" you have to solve to advance to the next area are a bit obtuse.  i've had to run to the gamefaq guide for this one about 4 times so far to figure out how to defeat an enemy who seems invulnerable or figure out how to get rid of an obstacle that has no real world counterpart for context.

but man, combat is still a blast.  i love some of the powers you receive later in the game. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: