http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 12:01:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished KotoR2 - And I want my freaking 30 hours back!!!!  (Read 1420 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2005, 03:15:07 AM »

Need I say "spoilers"?

What a piece of crap ending.

1. The Ebon Hawk was dented and very clearly damaged in the cutscenes on Malachor V, but suddenly all the dents were gone and it could save me?  I felt like I was watching a bad Dukes of Hazzard episode where they do a jump, the General Lee is damaged, and then in the next scene the car is fine!

That may seem like nit picking to some but it totally ruins the supspension of disbelief!

2. What the heck was the thing with the remote?  It is just living on Malachor V for the rest of time with Go-To?  What was is suposed to do?  Bao-Dur never mentioned anything about his rigging the stuff, so why even have it?

3. I never actually choose a path!  Keira says I can choose to follow Revan, wait on Malachor V, or become an exile again....I never picked any of those.  I simply asked to see the future....and then suddenly my conversation options were gone and I could only let her die which brought up the stupid move mentioned in point 1.

4. I
hate games where you work as a team for hours and hours and then have to take on the final boss alone.  Why did I bother leveling up Atton, Bao-Dur, HK-47, T3-M4, etc.?  They served no purpose in the end.

I know this is some crappy RPG tradition, but it is stupid.  Random battles used to be an RPG tradtion as well and people are pretty sick of that.  I am sick of working to get the best armor, skills, weapons, etc. for a ton of people and then have none of it matter!!

5. The stupid wrap-up of Attris on Telos!  She was evil, but not really, but she loved me, but she hated me.....

6. But on that subject....I didn't kill her because I was Ms. Light Side.  So it made no sense when I told the evil, killer, thingy, guy that there was no Jedi on the planet.  There were!  Atris was still on Telos!

7. What was up with finally killing Kreia anyway?  We had this "bond" that I was asking about the whole freaking game.  Where did that go?  I killed her but I lived?  Makes no sense.

8. What was up with Mira?  I didn't have her kill the Wookie, she ran off....but then we never saw here again?  Since the Ebon Hawk left and we never saw her get back on is she trapped on the planet forever?
[/list]

I think what bugs me the most was that the game as really quite good until the final planet.  There is just seemed like everything fell apart.  The level was stupid, losing your companions was stupid, the remote was stupid, the bit the Mira, the final conversation which doesn't resolve anything, etc.  

If they would have wrapped up well, or even half way decently I would put it as one of my favorite RPGs ever, but they really blew it at the end.

what do others who have finished thing?

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 03:25:25 AM »

Yeah... I was expecting quite a bit more from the game myself, truth be told. And hell, for the most part, it kept up with it.

BUT, it was clear that a lot of the content was cut, because of deadlines. Relationships (Handmaiden, Valas, Mira), plots(HK-47 factory/replicas, Bao-Dur, force bond between Keira, other Sith Lords), bugs, not to mention the ending... Ungh. As a result, the game ended with a rather lackluster fizzle.

I think it became especially apparent in the end, where you were just led from one point to the next, without actually having any say in it, as if to quickly wrap all the plotholes.

It's a crying shame, because I felt that the game was so close to being that much greater. As it is, it's good for the majority of the time, and then takes a nosedive down. Damn shame.

It'll be even more painful to see it be released on the PC in its current state... I really wish that they could just "properly" finish the game with that version, but ah well.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 03:55:09 AM »

Yep, a lot was cut.  Obsidian was trying to make the next planescape instead of a quick sequel like the company wanted.  The result is a lot of it got cut for time, which makes things even worse after spending all that time building things up early on in the game.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 07:15:47 AM »

1. The Ebon Hawk was dented and very clearly damaged in the cutscenes on Malachor V, but suddenly all the dents were gone and it could save me? I felt like I was watching a bad Dukes of Hazzard episode where they do a jump, the General Lee is damaged, and then in the next scene the car is fine!

Commando. Smashed and dented yellow porsche; perfect porsche. repeat.

You and I took the same path, and yes, I'd have to say that, without a doubt that the ending was worse than the lucas starwars 2.0

Half baked is too much credit; they forgot the freakin' eggs in the recipe. It was like I was enjoying the magic and splendor of having all of these choices (and since we now knew that it was Revan's ship and the ebon hawk was voicelocked but I had Hk47 who could dupe it) and the fact that the game was supposed to touch ALL worlds affected by both wars, that there was going to be a second set of planets unlocked.

The bond was never explained. All of a sudden Kreia (who we suppose was the ONLY person to have her powers severed by the jedi council) was Darth Traya (instead of her being a much more interesting balance / neutral player).

I already started the evil side (remaining neutral, starting nar shadaa this time to get Mira and THEN go evil as possible).

The game feels so much smaller the second time. so limited; so incomplete.

Due to the lack of forsight from either the developer or publisher (B is generally to blame over A) Bioware's going to look like gold with Jade Empire.

Hell, they could crap in the DVD case and it still might rank higher.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rabies66
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 02:44:23 PM »

Ditto everything that was said above.

When I didn't get the big finish I was expecting, I used the Jedi Mind trick on myself to forget the last couple of hours and substituted the ending of Planescape: Torment instead.

I am much happier, except Nordom keeps calling me "meatbag"...

Golden with barlight and beer
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 05:25:08 PM »

Quote from: "rabies66"

I am much happier, except Nordom keeps calling me "meatbag"...

LOL :lol:

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 06:10:24 PM »

Wow, 30hrs to complete the whole game?  I'm at just over 30hrs and I'm still on Telos!!! :o

I'm just reacting to your subject line.  I didn't read the posts in here because I did not want anything spoiled.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 05:28:19 PM »

I was semi-disappointed in the ending, but it didn't ruin the game for me.  I really would've loved an ending video like in KOTOR 1, even just a short one, to wrap things up, given that I invested 38 hours in the game.

BUT with that said, I loved the story in KOTOR 2, much better than KOTOR 1.  KOTOR was great & fun, but the story was basically just "stop the evil Sith Lord who is trying to conquer the galaxy", with one big twist in the middle.  KOTOR 2 was a lot more intricate and "Star Wars"-y, with a much bigger focus on the nature of the force and the light side v. the dark side.

The ending sequence (though obviously cut short of what Obsidian would've liked due to time constraints) did a decent job wrapping it up.  (obviously spoilers)  Kreia's big thing was that the Force isn't everything in the universe, & despised people (both Jedi & Sith) who over-relied on it (why she wanted to kill both the Jedi Council & the Sith Lords).  That's why she's nuts about you - you were the only one to successfully (mostly) cut yourself off from the Force, & live without it.  At the end, you've mastered her teachings, and having done so you can either start a new order (Jedi or Sith) that doesn't over-rely on the Force & generally follows her teachings, or go off by yourself & kick some butt.

Why I liked KOTOR 2 so much is that there's a lot to kick around after you're done with.  Kreia's a deep character; is she really Sith?  Why did she do X action?  What was up with Revan? (Kreia drops a lot of interesting info on him, like was he ever really Sith?  He obviously knew about some threat to the Galaxy, & G0T0 adds that when he was conquering the Republic, he purposefully left Republic military construction facilities intact - was he just taking over the galaxy to protect it?  That would also explain why he used the Star Forge only as a factory, not as a dark side facility as Malak did.  

I would have really liked a true "dark side" ending; unlike KOTOR 1, the ending here is virtually identical, except that you don't blow up Malachor V.  I would've liked a cut-scene where as a Jedi you start rebuilding the galaxy & starting the Jedi anew, and as a Sith it would show you starting a new Sith order (it'd be cool to see whatever characters you trained as Sith there).  

But while that's disappointing, the overall story & ending sequence I found really enjoyable, because it left me with so many more interesting stuff & questions than KOTOR did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: