http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:18:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished Halo 2? Discuss here. *SPOILER WARNING!*  (Read 5139 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2004, 10:30:32 AM »

Just finished it...random thoughts...

*SPOILER-IFFIC*

-I don't mind it was so short.  Near the end, I was kind of getting fed up with everything.  The last Master Chief mission pissed me off.  It was so incredibly dark even with the damned flashlight.  I pretty much just ran past everything.  Which reminds me, I did a lot of that it seemed in Halo 2 as compared to the first.  I ran a lot in Halo 2, while in Halo 1, I killed everything.

-Those new baddies...the flying ones.  They were anoying.  The jet-pack guys gave me troubles.  But those fucking grunt things.  When they went berzerk, I ran in FEAR.  If you didn't have a plasma sword, man, it was tough to get past one of those.  Even WITH a plasma sword, it took a few hits from the front.  It felt *SO* good when I cloaked and got behind one fo them and slashed 'em or stuck them with a grenade.  TAKE THAT!

-I loved playing as the Arbiter.  I used his cloaking device whenever possible.  Whenever I would switch to MC, I felt naked Tongue

-I never duel-wielded.  Sure, the first level or two, but after that, nada.  I wanted to use my grenades.  I duel-weild in MP though biggrin

-The music was terrific.  A+

-The graphics issue...the last couple of cinematics REALLY showed how terrible it worked out.  There was a particular cinematic where it would go from low-res, to high-res in 1 second intervals.  It was ugly.  Overall, however, I thought the graphics for the cut-scenes were real nice and in-game itself pretty nice.  I liked the nature distance-shots.  Like, looking at a tower in the middle of the lake.  That sort of shit was neat.

-The AI.  My teammates were idiots!  REALLY THEY WERE!  I can think of multiple times that my teammates (whether they be covenant or humans) just stood there staring at whatever.  Sometimes they'd kick in after I pushed them, but sometimes not.  And then, sometimes, they'd just charge in!  Plus, they died so damn easily.  Maybe that's because I was a terrible leader, but damn, I'd have a team and by the time the first battle was over, it would be me SOLO.  That was aggrevating.  Bungie has gotta work on teammate AI.

-The ending.  I was fine with it, really.  I had heard about how it's a cliffhanger, etc.  It'll make the 3rd Halo really start off with a bang, we know that for a fact biggrin

Overall SP thoughts: I thought it was a good story told well from beginning to finish.  I also thought that the MC and Arbiter sections meshed well together.  I had a better time than I did in the first Halo's SP, I really did (in which I think I'm in the minority).   Is a second play-through in order?  Perhaps if my brother wants to co-op...I don't see myself playing through it again in the near future, however.  The multiplayer is fun as hell and Halo 2 will stay in my collection up until the next installment comes out.

TheMissingLink on PSN
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2004, 07:00:22 PM »

Yeah, those berserk brutes were tough unless you could cloak and grenade or sword them.  The teammate AI was pathetic, they would get in front of me when I wanted them behind me and vice versa.  I never really worried about whether they lived or died. I would give them beams because they don't use up the ammo and they would carry it a bit further in case I needed it. I really like in call of duty how you can heal your comrades. They also will actually take a machine gun nest and storm building and such. They are much more effective.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2004, 10:36:10 PM »

The seceond I got new teammates for a mission, I would just act like they were already dead, becasue it wouldnt take long. Although i did like the bantering of the marines and some of the comments from the elites. Nice touches still.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2004, 10:41:12 AM »

Finished it on medium, had a good time overall.

Points of criticism:

*Some of those later levels, especially the covenant city, were pretty bad. I'd much rather fight in human cities, jungles, or outdoor areas than those cramped and dark corridors. I didn't even look like a covenant city...

*The story at first, but now that I understand it, I like it a lot. Still, they shouldn't have advertised it as a Covenant-invades-Earth scenario, that's just a lie. That's like saying the second Matrix Movie is about defending Zion...

*The lack of human ammo, mentioned in that other post. I love the battle rifle, but it can only hold 108 bullets. Not much...

*No Brutes and Elite fighting next each other, I think they would have complemented each other perfectly... Oh, and not enough Drone-fights (those flying bugs). I loved those guys! I also expected Prophets to be part of battle groups, coordinating Elites, and giving passive bonuses or something... Guess not...

*edit: and what about that E3-level they showed? It looked kick-ass! But yes, I've read they scrapped that...

But despite all these points, it's a really really good game! I'm now playing through on Heroic, and I like it a lot more now. Medium was just too easy. Oh, and I've tried Legendary a couple of times, but I can't get past some of the first fights smile I really don't know how I'm going to tackle that one! Cooperative probably...

If anybody has any hints about solo-ing Legendary, let me know!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2004, 02:33:13 PM »

Quote from: "The Rocketman"

*edit: and what about that E3-level they showed? It looked kick-ass! But yes, I've read they scrapped that...

Yeah, I initially missed that too.  Then I went back and watched it again after playing through the game and while the asthetic design of New Mombasa has changed dramatically most of the same content is still in there.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2004, 07:50:59 PM »

I agree about advertising it as an invasion of earth. Yeah right. It had very little to do with it. And now what are they going to advertise for Halo 3, since that is what it will actually be?
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2004, 08:33:26 PM »

An invasion of Earth? Bungie stated way back the game would take place all across the galaxy, starting with Earth. Isn't that exactly what happened? I don't ever recall ever being under the impression the entire game would be about defending the planet.

*shrug

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2004, 09:13:44 PM »

Quote from: "AJ McClain"
An invasion of Earth? Bungie stated way back the game would take place all across the galaxy, starting with Earth. Isn't that exactly what happened? I don't ever recall ever being under the impression the entire game would be about defending the planet.

*shrug

Considering that the current posters for the game use the tagline "Earth will never be the same" I don't think its unfair to expect the game to focuson on Earth more than it does.  It didn't bother me and I enjoyed the other locations but I can see how some would be put out.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2004, 05:30:50 AM »

Or read the back of the case:

"Earth will never be the same

The destruction of Halo slowed the covenant but it did not stop them. Fueled by faith, fury and vengeance, they have swept aside all of our defenses and gained a foothold on the most precious prize of all -- Earth. With the human military scattered and crushed, the fate of the planet lies in the hands of one man. Spartan 117 -- the Master Cheif."

Still think they wernt advertising it as a fight for earth? It was one mesely battle for earth. When did what they said on the box happen? Did I play that game? That will be fun when we actually do get to fight for earth, but what is the Halo 3 box going to say? Just the same thing? And a foothold on earth? WTF?

Just a disclaimer: I love this game. But the advertising was misleading, almost to the level of peter molyneux. Well, not that bad, but way of to say the least  biggrin .
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2004, 05:04:58 AM »

Now that I'm at the end, I too am pretty disapointed in the lack of human weapons.  I'm pretty much using dual covenant automatic blasters during the entire second half of the game. I haven't even seen a battle rifle in what seems like forever.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2004, 10:13:24 PM »

Just finished.  That was awesome.

Did you all notice that Laura Prepon voiced one of the marines?

http://www.askmen.com/women/actress_150/154_laura_prepon.html
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2004, 12:29:37 AM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Or read the back of the case:

<snip>

Still think they wernt advertising it as a fight for earth?

Hehe, ok. I see your point, Chris. Yeah, they did overhype the importance Earth would play in the game, I agree.

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2004, 02:32:43 AM »

Quote from: "Driver"
Just finished.  That was awesome.

Did you all notice that Laura Prepon voiced one of the marines?

http://www.askmen.com/women/actress_150/154_laura_prepon.html

That would explain why I was trying so hard to keep the female marines alive.  Tongue
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2004, 10:58:20 PM »

Okay, finished Halo 2 this weekend and man does that game suck. Fun action here and there, but a story that is just crap with an ending that's even worse. They ran out of time? As opposed to the several years longer they worked on the first game? Sorry Bungie, not buying it. If the big M was leaning on you but the game needed another 6 months in development, then STFU and grind it out. It's not like a game with "Halo" in the title won't sell a ton based on name recognition alone.

As for the ending, the game was building to an exciting conclusion then you kill it short. That's just bad design. Then you combine a lame story overall, terrible enemies like the Brutes and the Flood, and a a complete lack of fun in the last third, and you wind up with a game strikingly similar to the first game. You've honestly got me as to why people are flipping over this if they've actually played it all the way through. Terrible, terrible game. And since I don't have XB Live then I can't judge where Bungie's real efforts went to.

Bah. No Halo 3 for me, thank you.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2004, 11:39:04 PM »

Wow. Um.. just wow I guess.

WBS, somehow I thought you'd enjoy it more than that.

To each his own I suppose.

I'm still in love with the multiplayer and I'm about 80% of the way through on my second trip of the singleplayer.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2004, 11:54:41 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
If the big M was leaning on you but the game needed another 6 months in development, then STFU and grind it out. It's not like a game with "Halo" in the title won't sell a ton based on name recognition alone.

Not sure I'm following here- MS owns Bungie.  Bungie had no choice but to release on November 9th, ready or not.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2004, 03:14:48 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
If the big M was leaning on you but the game needed another 6 months in development, then STFU and grind it out. It's not like a game with "Halo" in the title won't sell a ton based on name recognition alone.

Not sure I'm following here- MS owns Bungie.  Bungie had no choice but to release on November 9th, ready or not.

Point. Scratch that part of my original rant. biggrin

I do applaud Bungie for making a hard sci-fi game like this, but in my ever so humble opinion, the resulting game was flat and terrible. More Half-Life 2 for me, I guess. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2004, 10:53:47 PM »

Another issue I have with Halo 2 was the same I had with the first game - the audio for Cortana. You have practically no direction (and the mission log under the Start menu is only as descriptive as "Get through Room X") on any mission, and whenever Cortana would pipe up and tell me what I needed to do or where I needed to go, I was usually going into a firefight or coming out of one. As such, I could never understand what she said because it was too low (even after messing with the audio) and I was never able to pay attention to her when I needed to. That's just stupid.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2004, 12:55:11 PM »

Another issue I have with Halo 2 was the same I had with the first game - the audio for Cortana. You have practically no direction (and the mission log under the Start menu is only as descriptive as "Get through Room X") on any mission, and whenever Cortana would pipe up and tell me what I needed to do or where I needed to go, I was usually going into a firefight or coming out of one. As such, I could never understand what she said because it was too low (even after messing with the audio) and I was never able to pay attention to her when I needed to. That's just stupid.

Agreed. It was the same in the first game.

I just finished it and felt gypped by the ending.  I would toss this up there with 1943's

"congrat-
ulations"

The post credits cortana bit was a bit better, but it's just a cheap way to end the game. They could have at least closed some of the story arcs.  If we have to wait for Halo3 to see the continuation, I reckon I'll get to play it in...4 years or so when Nextbox is reasonably priced...

Also, the whole Little SHop of Horrors Plant tentacle overmind for the flood was so lame.  Every time I looked at it I thought 'FEED ME.'

I'd give the game a solid B+ overall though...Ninja Gaiden still whoops it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: