http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 02:55:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished Halo 2? Discuss here. *SPOILER WARNING!*  (Read 5141 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2004, 04:22:08 AM »

This is a thread for us insane people who finished Halo early.  This thread will contain all sorts of spoilers for those who want to talk about what happened in the game.

I had no classes or work today (a rare thing for me) so I sat down to play Halo, next thing I know, it's 8pm and I've finished the game.  So, I figured I'd start a topic for those who have finished it too.

Yes, I know I'm crazy for buying it then finishing it this quickly, it's not something I do often.  I'm not disapointed that I bought it, but in if I had known I would finish it this quickly I would have rented it, then played my friend's copy for multiplayer.

I HATE brutes, not just because they betrayed the arbiter.  There's that damn berzerk thing they do when you've killed alll but one of a squad.  Those grenade guns were damn annoying too.

The ending did suck, mainly because I was expecting to play the Chief and finish off Truth.  However, it wasn't a bad place to end.  There'll definitely be a Halo 3, and they damn well better finish it there.

The ending did raise a lot of questions, especially the bit after the credits.  What role do humans play in the forerunner's scheme.  What's Cortana up to?

I don't agree with those who said there wasn't enough play time as the Master Chief.  He and the Arbiter got equal amounts, and unlike Metal Gear SOlid 2, the arbiter is just as kick ass as the MC.

Oh, and I was very glad the Arbiter parts didn't have me fighting humans.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 06:02:19 AM »

Haven't finished- probably 3/4 of the way there or so.

The Arbiter is an interesting choice.  While I don't think it will be too controversial a-la MGS2 there's not a whole lot of difference in the switch in both titles wrt play mechanics.  In both MGS2 and here the character has almost exactly the same abilities.  Its the pyschological difference that is key which is what bothered people in MGS2- Raiden couldn't hold a candle to Snake in coolness.  The Arbiter is pretty badass but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have preferred to play as MC most of the game.

What did bug me about The Arbiter sections is having to discern friendly Covenant from enemy Covenant.  That was kind of a pain in the ass.  

PS- I hate, hate, hate The Flood.  I burned out on them hard in the first game and was not pleased to see them come back here.  Also, I think I've learned to dread any "Library" level in Halo.  While the library level here wasn't nearly as tedious its easily my least favorite part so far, mainly because of the high concentration of Flood.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 06:47:18 AM »

The flood are a lot easier to deal with this time around, but are by no means pushovers.

If there are other enemies around, it's always best to bypass the flood entirely and let them fight each other while you move forward.

Of course, the flood have new tricks of their own.  Shields, vehicle driving, etc...  You'll hate them even more this time.  Luckily, there's a few more weapons that work well against them.  The energy sword is wonderful in case they get too close, especially with that lunge attack.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 01:43:50 AM »

You guys are sooo lucky - being able to game that much. I am truly envious. I'd like to be able to finish one game this year!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 02:48:40 AM »

Me to.
I feel like I will be better off renting at times
50bucks is a lot for a week of play
thats the norm for a new game to take its place.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 03:44:54 AM »

I didn't read your posts above, to avoid spoilers, but about how many hours did it take you guys to finish it, and on what difficulty?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 05:59:09 AM »

Jeff, I haven''t finished yet- I'm about 4/5 of the way through but have gone back to replay earlier levels because I thought they were much stronger than the last 1/3.  It took me approx 9-10 hours to get 4/5 of the way through playing on normal.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 09:43:53 AM »

I'm about the same time.  I estimate it took me around 12-15 hours to beat it, and I died a few times along the way, with plenty of breaks.

Definitely not a long game, but not a short one either.  You just have to pace yourself.

Oh and I normally can't game this much with work and school taking up so much time, but the store that I work at went out of business on the 1st of this month, so I'm out of a job, and it looks like most of the stores around here have hired their holiday staff.

Of course, I should be focusing on my artwork in preparation for an internship over the summer.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 06:47:50 AM »

Yeah beat it tonight. Hated the ending.

On the plus side - beating it did give me an extra map in multiplayer called foundation.  Makes me wonder if there are any other maps available for beating it on heroic or legendary.

I hope so.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 08:34:39 AM »

We're having a story discussion here that might interest you guys.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 02:48:46 PM »

My brother and I played it in coop. We both had yesterday off, and we finished up today. Took about 11 hours in total and we both completely LOATHE the ending. Especially because the lead-up to the grand finale is...well, non-existant and the last boss is completely pointless.

I didn't mind playing as the arbiter at all, I think he's cool as hell.

About what you get for finishing the game...I heard you'll also get a different insignia for finishing it...is that true?

HELLO!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 11:31:01 PM »

Well, you definitely get the new multiplayer map.

I just beat the game on Legendary, just the last mission, mind you.  It was hard as heck, but I did it.

What do I get?  Nothing.  Even Halo 1 had a very funny bit at the ending, but nothing this time around.

They did change some dialogue in cut scenes to be a bit more crude, but overall nothing.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 02:48:49 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
They did change some dialogue in cut scenes to be a bit more crude, but overall nothing.

Explain, as I know I WON'T be coming back to single player of this title after the pathethic ending.

Why is the ending so bad? Let me put it this way - it's like playing an RPG for 40 hours and getting to the boss' tower/cave/dungeon/planet of doom/etc, and finding that the main door is closed. So you turn around and just go home.

It's that bad.

All that time wasted.

It wouldn't be so annoying if the game itself wasn't so much fun and had such a deep story buried inside of it. So many things left unanswered. So many little mini-plots you need to find the answer for.

Instead, you find nothing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fafhrd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 03:24:11 AM »

4am to 4pm 12 hours to beat.

Change is in the wind...
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 03:50:05 AM »

Doesn't this weak ending just mean "To be continued..." ? ... aka Halo 3, which will probably be a launch title for the Xbox 2. I had heard this series was meant to be a trilogy.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 06:14:01 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Doesn't this weak ending just mean "To be continued..." ? ... aka Halo 3, which will probably be a launch title for the Xbox 2. I had heard this series was meant to be a trilogy.

That's still no excuse.  I'm betting the weak ending has more to do with time constraints to make the holiday release.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if large portions of the single player were excised to make the release date.  A similar issue almost happened with Half Life 2, as detailed in the outstanding Final Hours piece over on Gamespot.  

The issue isn't as much the ending itself but the pacing.  There's really no indication you're playing the last level of the game.  

I seriously doubt that Halo 3 will be a launch title.  Xbox 2 launches in one year.  It took Bungie 3 years to deliver Halo 2 on a platform they already had experience with.  I'm betting on Halo 3 positioned to go day and date with PS3's North American release.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 07:25:23 AM »

Finished tonight. Played 90% the way through in co-op with my wife. She got tired of it. I just wanted to be done with it. I expected one more level at the end. Totaly not inpressed with the ending. Not really impresed much at all.

But on the birght side, now I can play on Live. As a matter of fact I just got my first taste, and how sweet it is.

LiveTAG: happydog
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 07:41:46 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
That's still no excuse.  I'm betting the weak ending has more to do with time constraints to make the holiday release.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if large portions of the single player were excised to make the release date.  A similar issue almost happened with Half Life 2, as detailed in the outstanding Final Hours piece over on Gamespot.  

The issue isn't as much the ending itself but the pacing.  There's really no indication you're playing the last level of the game.  

I seriously doubt that Halo 3 will be a launch title.  Xbox 2 launches in one year.  It took Bungie 3 years to deliver Halo 2 on a platform they already had experience with.  I'm betting on Halo 3 positioned to go day and date with PS3's North American release.

Wow. You list time constraints and then point out they had 3 years. If *anything* is evident with the release of Halo2, it's that it was all methodical. The ILoveBees thing, the tatoo'd release date. I don't think they cut a thing. They are intending to have downloadable content, and maybe theres something to the single player there, but I gotta tell you I'm pretty happy with the game, AND the ending...

**************SPOILER WARNING********************
After a 12hr game, I really don't want full closure on what happens, and Regret's invasion of earth didn't do the full-scale Covenant justice. This game is meant to build on the Halo dynasty, and have us looking forward to the next. Halo1 had the same ending, and SHORTER.  The only difference is that rather than MC finishing off the ring, the game took a different twist and resolved the brute uprising. Rather than having the risk of One Halo going off, there's 6 or 7 to worry about... and their all available to Truth. MC also has to get Cortana back, and the whole tentacle plot is yet to unfold.

If they're going to open this up to encompass global war, they're better off pushing it out on the next hardware. The normalization mapping (although awesome when functioning) was almost distracting when it was failing. I want to see more, but I'm more than satisfied with what I have.

As to it not being a launch title, I doubt very much that Halo3 hasn't been in production since they had the Xbox Next dev kits there. The plotline is already there, and I'm sure they've been working on a "what effects did we want that hardware limitations pooched in Halo2" list. I truly don't think that MS would launch XBox2 without a halo title. Whether its 2.5 or whatever, I just don't see it happening. I'm sure they've been gearing Bungie for it; and if this game feels "incomplete" or is too open, I'd look at it as an indicator the next one is already in full swing. My 2 cents.

Oh, I don't know if anyone noticed this, but Laura Prepon does the voice for the female marines. As soon as I heard her voice (and attitude) I *knew* it was Donna (that 70's show). slywink I confirmed it in the credits when I finished it today. Tomorrow I watch disk 2. biggrin

As far as the Arbiter goes, I'm happy they have him in it. It adds to the game, and I found when I was running around as MC later I kept turning on my flashlight, hoping to go invisible.  :lol:

The flood are awesome in Halo2. From reanimating corpses you've just killed to the new tentacle animations, they seem less like they're from House of the Dead. As far as dealing with em, cut em, burn em or blow em up so you don't have to deal with them again (destroyed corpses will not be reanimated). It's wicked to see how resourceful the flood is in this game; it drives the point home that they are ultimately unstoppable. In Halo1 you hated the carriers cuz they acted like walking grenades... this time you hate them *for* the flood, not the explosion. They learn weapons/vehicles, they adopt shields: they're badass. If you can't handle the flood, help Truth finish em off. I'll be down in the trenches with my plasma sword. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 02:47:00 PM »

Wow. You list time constraints and then point out they had 3 years. If *anything* is evident with the release of Halo2, it's that it was all methodical. The ILoveBees thing, the tatoo'd release date. I don't think they cut a thing. They are intending to have downloadable content, and maybe theres something to the single player there, but I gotta tell you I'm pretty happy with the game, AND the ending...

Did you happen to get the Collector's Edition?  If you watch the documentary it shows that items were cut.  

The tatooed release date (which wasn't even a real tatoo) is exactly why they were under time constraints- one way or the other Halo 2 was going to ship on November 9th even if it meant that Bungie coudn't fit everything in the game they wanted.  ILoveBees has nothing to do with it- while Bungie certainly  had an input (and more specifically Joe Staten) ILB was made by a completely seperate firm that specializes in ARGs.

EDIT- An example of time constraints.  From a Q&A on Bungie's site regarding underpowered audio:

We intended on then utilizing the LFE at times (as we can send full 5.1 mixes through the audio chip) but time and disk space got in the way.

Also, from the same Q&A, no new single player content:

Yes. We have not announced a schedule yet, but we will be making new downloadable multiplayer maps. They rock too. I've played a couple. There will likely never be downloadable Campaign content, however.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 06:41:48 PM »

Did you happen to get the Collector's Edition?  If you watch the documentary it shows that items were cut.  

This really bugs me.  I was disappointed when I realized that the E3 2k3 version of New Mombosa with the arcology (which looked super cool) is not in the game.  Going by the documentary on the extras disk, though, it sounds like Bungie actually beefed up and expanded the storyline and campaign in Halo 2, rather than cutting content that would otherwise have made the game longer/more complete.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 11:57:03 PM »

still haven't watched it; still not adding my voice to the collective complaint though. <shrug>.

I read books that don't always have the ends tied up neatly; I'm generally disappointed when our north american movies *DO* tie up all ends. For the sake of telling a story in game, I've come to accept endings that provide enough story license. Syndicate and Baldurs gate 1 were horrible for their endings; where one had NO ending per se, and the other had a horrible story twist that reeked of "justification for sequel" rather than "lets see where this leads".

As far as games go, getting to the ending is often interpreted as accomplishment; the gamer expects a reward. If you can't appreciate the contained storytelling beyond the game mechanic, then I could see how this would chafe. I didn't find the game all that challenging (although there were moments), so I wasn't looking for a 20min cinematic ending to the series as a golden carrot reward.

*****SPOILER WARNING!!****
Halo 1 - MC stopped Halo from triggering, MC escaped and was onboard a vessel back to earth. *very limited ending, little to no story, reeked of
*level completed*
Please wait 3years while loading next level...

Halo 2 - MC stopped (along with Arbiter) the Halo from triggering, MC on a vessel bound for earth. Toned down ending with storyline possibilies, left a lot of people feeling like the game had no climax. I'd blame this on the buildup of the last two levels than the ending itself.

If you look at the potential story arcs beyond the ending (like, lets say MC is captured) from this point there could be some pretty big twists bungie can put in it, and it's not necessarily going to be "Level Completed! The Universe is safe." It's an ending to this chapter, but it's not the conclusion to the story.

As it was I hope you all waited for the credits; there's a little Cortana scene at the end opens up a few other possibilities.

Ah well, onto legendary. Now that *IS* challenging.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 12:08:26 AM »

(sorry for the doublepost)

We intended on then utilizing the LFE at times (as we can send full 5.1 mixes through the audio chip) but time and disk space got in the way.

as far as downloadable SP play, meh. It would mean people without live or access to the content would lose out. Like I stated in my prev. post; I think they ended it here ON PURPOSE to accomodate storyline arcs. In my prev. post I had indicated they may, based on rumours circulating. I honestly don't think they'd do that at this point.

Now, as to the "left out" concept, let me put this into perspective: there is NO GAME out there right now that didn't have content cut for time, space or energy reasons. It's a simple fact that the medium is not robust enough to include all the content, abilities, interactions and features the game developer wants to include. Halo1 left stuff out that they wanted to include (even DID include in code, but not available like the flamethrower). They indicated they're planning on pushing this stuff into the next game. Does this mean we're going to get (or got) a flamethrower in Halo2? No. Did we see the 8 variations of the Warthog as indicated may happen (as of last year), such as the personnel carrier, the Bombadier (winterized with rear treads) and the like? No. Just because they either had to drop stuff or say "this is cool, and I want it in here" doesn't mean we lost out on something we were "entitled" to.

I don't see this game as falling from it's mark; it aimed high and hit it. Top shelf. A+ game. Did it change the way I think about the world? Yeah. As much as two SMBs(or needlers) sound cool, nothing replaces a plasma-tag. biggrin

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 03:35:58 AM »

Heh- they actually talk about the flamethrower on the documentary and how it almost made it into Halo 2.

I don't have a problem with the story loose ends so much as the utter lack of a true finale.  I didn't expect Master Chief to win the war with the covenant or anything but I would like a better feeling of closure.  Looks at The Empire Strikes Back for a cliffhanger done right- tons of loose threads but the movie feels complete.  Then look at Matrix Reloaded where it feels like the filmmakers came up against an arbitary time constraint and said "ah, hell just roll the credits."

In the first Halo, you knew you were on the last level as you tried to escape the bomb.  In Halo 2 you're almost expecting the game to load the next mission when the game ends.  I love almost everything that's in the game but without a true finale something feels missing from the whole experience.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 07:14:35 AM »

I finished it this afternoon. Liked it a lot.

While the ending was abrupt to say the least, I didn't feel there was any real difference between Halo 2 just ending and Halo 1 just ending either. I'll grant you that there wasn't quite enough buildup or tension, but otherwise I thought it was fine.

Loved the game. I'll play through again by myself, and then through on Legendary in Co-op.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 05:32:02 PM »

What I didnt like is that the game was slow to pick up, and then just when it strtd getting heated and good, it ended. Just like that. The game was just getting good! That was one of the first levels Iwas getting excited about. And then I was really excited for the next level to load, but it was over! What? This cant be, I just started getting ready for it!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2004, 03:12:50 PM »

A little short for my tastes, but I understand this interation was more about the multi-play.  The ending was a little too abrupt, but it kept in spirit with the Two Towers.  This one is obviously intended as a middle chapter.  Could they have done the ending better?  Sure.  But I still enjoyed it all the way through.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2004, 04:06:04 PM »

My take on the story so far:

Humans are the genetic descendents of the Forerunners.  The Forerunners were prolific throughout the galaxy and came across The Flood.  They built the Halo rings as last resort weapons against The Flood.  It soon became clear that they couldn't stop The Flood so they sent their genetic code to Earth (the Ark itself, or possibly in the Arc of the Convenant?) and triggered the Halo rings.

Jump forward to the time in the games.  The Convenant religious beliefs, as definied by the Prophets, believes that triggering the Halo rings will start them on some spiritual path of glory.  Some of the Convenant understand what the rings are actually going to do, but only the Prophets and the Convenant group that is rebelling against them.  The Propeths use the Arbiter to stop the rebellion and get the Index to trigger the Halo ring.  However they also learned about the Ark, which can detonate all of the Halo rings at once, from 343 Guilty Spark and go to Earth to retrieve it.  When they stopped the activation sequence of the Halo ring it sent out a signal putting all of the rings in an emergency standby mode waiting for a signal from the Ark.  What they don't realize is that Earth is also the homeworld of Humans.  Hence the small "invasion" fleet which was really just a retrieval fleeet.

The tentacle thing's, Gravemind, place in all of this is not as clear.  It's obvious the game was cut short due to time contraints.  Someone on QT3 said the game needed about 2 more chapters and I agree completely.  If you wait through the credits you get to hear him laying down some propetic spoken word and getting ready to talk to Cortana.  It does appear the it is involved with The Flood and, from the dialog, we ascertain that Cortana feels he used MC and the Arbiter as decoys while the Flood invasion fleet assaulted the Convenant city High Charity.

Other points:
-the Brutes needed a Human to use the Index to activate the Halo because only Forerunners, or their descendents, are capable of doing it.  
-this is the reason 343 Guilty Spark calls Humans the Reclaimers.
-multiplay rocks.

I have not read the books but will do so soon as I'm really enjoying the story.  I've also downloaded the ILoveBees audio logs and will listen to them stat.
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2004, 04:08:49 PM »

The single player campaign seemed a bit short but the mp aspects seem to make up for this.  As far as the ending, I had no problem with it.  Short and sweet letting us know theres more to come and the grand finale is in the works.  What else did you need to know?  The remaining Halos have been activated and can be fired by remote.  The Ark (presumably the forerunner ship) is approaching Earth with MC riding along.  Everything is coming to a head.  Perfect place to stop for a sequel.  If you watch movie trilogies, the middle movie always ends without anything major concluded and our heroes in crisis facing impending doom.   Did Halo 2 end abruptly?  Yes, but I felt it was intentional, not a shortcoming.  I didnt get the impression that they cut it short due to time constraints.  I thought they did it just right.  Leave em wanting more.
  Regarding game play,  Im glad that they tweaked the flood.  No more massive waves of the little parasites, time and time again.  Also, the shotgun wasnt the only effective weapon vs the flood.  The plasma sword was a great equalizer.  I also like that you can jack vehicles. Ghost vs Scorpion? No problem, jack the Scorpion and kick some ass!  At first, it was a bit jarring, switching from MC to the Arbiter, but after awhile I liked the switch.  Nice change of pace.  The fuel rod cannon was sweet!  The beam rifle made the sniper rifle obsolete.  Late in the game, if youre weary of fighting, just let your Hunter allies clear things for you.  
  A couple things I hope they add in Halo 3:  make bots available in the multiplayer maps and have a map that has Hunter vs Hunter capabilities.
  The only Banshee vs Banshee multiplayer map I found is underground.  I hope theres an unlockable map that allows for a more open area dog-fight.  
 All in all a great game.  If you just want to run thru the single player game then you can probably get by with a rental.  Otherwise dont shy away from buying this, its got tons of replayability and while in a lot of ways its more of the same thing, if you liked Halo, thats not a bad thing!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2004, 09:58:53 PM »

Do you have the SE with the extra DVD?  I do but I haven't watched any of it yet (too busy playing the game).  As Kevin Grey pointed out, and as I've read elsewhere, they admit that time contraints forced them to cut the game and its features.  I don't mind the cliffhanger of an ending, I just don't think it was a very good one, nor what they had in mind.  I'm not saying I thought it was terrible, it just felt a little too abrupt for me.  Two Towers and Empire did cliffhanger endings very well.  But they didn't have much flex room on the release date anymore. smile

One note that goes along with the incomplete sound features in the game is that I found it hard to understand what they were saying in the cut scenes or in the middle of action.  I'm going to replay it with subtitles on and hopefully catch more of the plot this time.  I couldn't believe it when I couldn't find any way to adjust the in-game sound.  All I needed was to turn down the music alot and the effects a little bit.  I also found it hard to understand 343 Guilty Spark, Gravedigger and the Brutes due to the overuse of effects on their voices.  Or maybe it's just the in-game mix that the culprit again.

Overall I did enjoy it very much.  I'm just nitpicking because I care. smile
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2004, 05:05:52 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
One note that goes along with the incomplete sound features in the game is that I found it hard to understand what they were saying in the cut scenes or in the middle of action.  I'm going to replay it with subtitles on and hopefully catch more of the plot this time.

Do you have surround sound with a center channel?  I haven't had any problem understanding the talking. If you do have a center channel, try boosting the decibles (for the center channel only!) by 3 or 4 through the receiver. This will raise the voices above the music.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2004, 05:51:47 PM »

Watched the DVD last night and they go in to the fact that they ran out of time and had to cut the single-player campaign and several features (flamethrower, sniff).

The center channel trick is a good crutch for the problem.  But I have my surround sound system calibrated and don't want to have to jack with it all the time for one title.  I'll probably just stick with the subtitles.  Thanks though!
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2004, 04:57:14 AM »

Just finished the game. Heh, I was expecting one hell of a disappointing conclusion and I ended up being surprised. While I ain't fond of cliffhangers, I don't think the ending was too bad. And...it kinda gave more credence to the "Forerunner=Human" theory that's been floating around for the last 3 years. I'm looking forward to whatever novels come after this, even more so if Eric Nylund is going to be writing them. Perhaps one reason I'm not as pissed by how it ended is because I'm sure the story will be continued, even if it isn't in a new Halo game.

Btw, the soundtrack is awesome. I've said it before, but having finished the game I think it deserves reiteration.

Now...I look forward to replaying this game countless times on every difficulty as I did with the first. Also, am I the only one who enjoyed the Arbiter's segments more than the MC's? Not only does Keith David kick major ass, but the Arb's armor was beautiful. I enjoyed every glance I got at it (even when that meant dying...). The cloaking ability was genius, there. It added a new layer to the gameplay. If only the MC could cloak....

Ah, the credits just finished. I'm watching that small segment with Cortana and the....whatever it was. Interesting, interesting...

*sigh

Well, it's over. Major props to Bungie. It's been one hell of a ride.  Cool

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2004, 07:16:11 AM »

I actually found the Arbiter's character a lot more fleshed out than the MC.

I don't know what's in store for Halo 3, bit it's going to be big.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Elites joining up with humans this go around.

Well, I'm still hoping Durandal will make an appearance.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2004, 03:34:30 PM »

While I love the concept and attitude of the Master Chief, I too found the Arbiter character compelling.  I know virtually nothing about the MC (I haven't read the books yet, but am planning on it). However, in a few short cut-scenes I have great empathy for the Arbiter.

He was a solider doing his duty in the war his masters directed him to fight. He's made to be a scape goat, beat down, tortured, humiliated, and dragged off and assumed dead. But then he's given a chance to redeem himself and he learns that his entire life's philosophy may have been a lie.

Compared to the motivations of the Arbiter, the MC may as well be a robotic, "Terminator," type machine. He shows no emotion; has no desires; just "does the job." And when the job's over, he goes back into hibernation.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2004, 06:35:16 PM »

They should put the Master Chief behind a glass case that reads, break in times of war!

Cookie to whoever can name that quote, although I'm pretty sure I butchered it, I never get quotes exactly.  smile
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2004, 06:35:38 PM »

There was some great character interaction between the Arbiter and his fellow Elites, I think. I particularly enjoyed the scene with him in the Phantom with the Elite Commander. I paraphrase, "These are my troops. Their lives matter to me. Yours do not." And the Arbiter responds, "That makes two of us." Great lines. We see nothing of the sort with the Master Chief.

I think Bungie should have included the few surviving Spartans into the story. It would've given the Chief someone to interact with more. He considers them family and in the novels they're pretty much the only ones he actually opens up to. I would have really liked to have seen the Spartans Linda and Kelly and after "First Strike" I was almost positive that would happen. But alas, the game makes absolutely no mention of them whatsoever.

Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2004, 06:51:55 PM »

Gamespy has an interview with Halo 2's writer, Joe Staten.  He says that he specifically avoided even acknowledging the existence of other Sptartans. Depsite that fact that he consulted heavily with the author of the three Halo novels.

GameSpy: When you were writing the game's script, did you want to tie the whole universe together, including stuff that was in the two books?
Joe Staten: The books are full of wonderful, complex elements that would be hugely problematic if we included them in Halo 2 in any meaningful way (e.g. the existence of other Spartans). That being said, I did my best to be take the books into account as I wrote, and there are definitely common themes and characters. The opposite is true as well; Eric Nylund and I spoke often as he gathered is thoughts for the third Halo novel, "First Strike."
GameSpy: Also in regards to the "Halo universe," who has ultimate control over where and how the storylines intersect?
Joe Staten: Bungie. Specifically, myself, Jones, Parsons and our community team. And we're very careful about the opportunities we pursue.

It's also obvious that lots of things were cut:
GameSpy: How much of the Halo 2 story ended up on the cutting room floor?
Joe Staten: The original version of the cinematic script was over 160 pages which would have given us somewhere around 90 minutes of cinematics. The final version was a little more than 90 pages for about 50 movie minutes (again, this leaves out mission and combat dialog). To be honest, a lot of what got cut should have never been in the script in the first place. But there were a handful of tasty bits that were only dropped from the final draft after the shedding of much blood and tears. But you never know where those ideas might show up next.
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2004, 07:42:57 PM »

That's interesting. Too bad that, once again, Bungie was not able to fully realize they're dream due to a deadline. I still think it would've been nice to see the Spartans, though. To hell with explaining their background or how they survived Reach. Afterall, they reintroduced Sgt. Johnson without bothering to explain how he escaped from Halo 04 or going into any of the details mentioned in FS.

I know Bungie was on a deadline, but I think a lot of potentional was wasted. It would've been nice to see the Helljumpers act (and sound) like Helljumpers, and not like the regular marines with new suits on. I'd been expecting to see the ODSTs show their extreme distaste (and distrust) for the Master Chief but in the game they cheer him on. There's no mention of the rivilary that exist between the Helljumpers and the Spartans. A shame, too, as it would have given the MC a chance to show his personality more. As Draco said, in the game he comes off as a robot. No emotion, no feeling. He spouts a occasional witty remark or a joke but that's it. Most of the talking in his segments were done by either the marines or Cortana. The Arbiter, OTOH, has such umph in his character.

This is a minor complaint. The game is awesome. But whenever's the secondary main character is more of the hero of the story than the actual hero, something's wrong.

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2004, 11:10:58 PM »

I loved the game but the end sucked. It's bad enough having a cliffhanger for a tv show when you won't know the answer for 3 months. When you are going to have to wait for 2 years it's absurd.  I got call of duty and I think it is a better FPS than Halo 2 is. Not that Halo was bad but the story was pretty non-existant this time. The action was great and the graphics were awesome. Not worth playing more than once IMO tho.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2004, 11:42:06 PM »

Possibly true for the singleplayer. I dont feel all that compelled to play it again. But for teh multiplayer? I would have to disagree.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: