http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 08:03:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: finished gears of war...was it cut?  (Read 2257 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2006, 07:21:12 AM »

well,it was pretty damn short(and yes i have only done it on the first difficulty)...the last act was only 3 chapters...and all the footage from the trailers like the madworld one,or the people outside a cafe while a building explodes...wasnt in the game

we didnt even get a back story,it just started 14 years after emergence day

so was this game cut to make way for the graphics?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:53:35 PM »

I must agree that I was disappointed in there not being a battle with the Brumak.  Only got to see him him for a few seconds after defending the Fenix estate.  I would have liked to see about 3 more hours of content myself.  As for the graphics, they were perfect for me.  I bet, like any game, things were cut to make way for the dreaded due date.  Will probably see what they cut in the sequel.  I bought the game and must say after going to Blockbuster and seeing 10 copies sitting there I wish I had rented it.  I could easily play through it twice in two rental periods and that would have only been $16 dollars-a far cry from $65.    One more reason to hardly, if ever, buy games any more. 

Now, if you are a multiplayer nut, then by all means, buy it.  I haven't tried multi yet myself as I just haven't gotten up the gumption to try it.  I'm afraid there might be a bunch of silly, loud, foul-mouthed idiots in there.  Just the thought of playing with fools like that makes my mind hurt.  Everything I hear is that it is one of the best multi experiences out there.  I would like to play coop through one time on insane though, but how do you do that when play time for me is seldom more than an hour here and there.

As to your original ponderings, yes, I think it was cut, there were definitely scenes and monsters not in there, and I bet it was simply a time crunch thing.  But I gotta say what was there was pure magic.  Loved it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 01:24:12 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 20, 2006, 12:53:35 PM

I'm afraid there might be a bunch of silly, loud, foul-mouthed idiots in there. Just the thought of playing with fools like that makes my mind hurt.

So you've played with me then, have you?  nod There IS a GT friends list you could try to hook up with one of us. Since you're actually ON said list, I'd expect you to have added some (or all) of the gamertags in there. We do get together for an hour or two of multiplayer action every couple of nights, so I'd say you'd be in good company.  icon_biggrin

I've not yet completed the game, but there is only one section so far that I didn't like...

Spoiler for Hiden:
The damned driving / UV cannon thing. God I hated that section. I makes me appreciate the warthogs in Halo1&2 SOOO much. The driving wasn't the problem, so much as the twitch controls for trying to hit those damned "I-was-ripped-off-of-Pitch-Black" flying things.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 01:25:57 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 01:43:51 PM »

I also feel it was cut.  Several seemingly significant storyline threads were mentioned but never developed like:

Why Marcus was in prision- it's in the manual though.

The fact that it's Marcus's dad who has the super seismic plans

And a few other areas make it feel like a level or two might have been yanked.  They were pretty good about not usually showing anything other than the first act in previews so it would have been pretty easy to remove stuff without it being overly obvious- ie the levels yanked in the original Splinter Cell (that showed up later as "bonus" content) were obvious not only from a storyline standpoint but also because there were lots of screenshots of those levels out there. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 03:49:25 PM »

As far as the storyline goes, CliffyB did mention that they didn't want to throw lots of story exposition down the player's throat and that more details about the world and stuff are in the supplemental materials (manual, art book, online, etc).  Not that it stopped them during that long-ass helicopter ride and setup in the beginning. 

But do I think things got cut?  Sure.  It's hard to feel any different when some elements didn't quite fit together and things that could have been awesome (like fighting that Brumak) just didn't show up.  That is the price you have to pay for trying to be the first-party system hit for the holidays.  Hopefully all the other goodies will show up in downloads, an expansion or the inevitable sequel. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 04:22:33 PM »

Given Epic's track record with post game support I'm sure we'll see some decent downloadable content from them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 08:43:56 PM »

havent played multiplayer yet......cant connect,for some reason

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 10:13:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2006, 04:22:33 PM

Given Epic's track record with post game support I'm sure we'll see some decent downloadable content from them.
yeah I am not at all worried about this.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 11:39:58 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 20, 2006, 10:13:36 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2006, 04:22:33 PM

yeah I am not at all worried about this.

Except this time they'll charge for it unlike with the Unreal Tournament Bonus Packs.

Unlike Calvin, I remain worried.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 03:24:39 AM »

they can't come out with the sequel soon enough for me

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 03:38:39 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 21, 2006, 03:24:39 AM

I'm sure it's already on the schedule for November, 2008.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 04:39:47 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 21, 2006, 03:24:39 AM

Nor I. What a phenomenal game.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 10:35:18 PM »

Just beat it today.
Spoiler for Hiden:
God I hated RAAM, I tried like 3 different combos(total of about 8-10 tries) until I killed Him/Her.  I found that the BOW/Sniper were the best combo

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 08:16:24 PM »

Finished it last night on Casual. While it did seem like there were a couple of enemies you never faced and plot strands untied, it didn't feel incomplete like Halo 2.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Is RAAM the final boss? He was easy. I just ran past him and got the mounted gun on the platform and shot him down.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 08:41:52 PM »

That's ok, the story in Halo seemed incomplete as well, so they were just continuing the 'theme'.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 24, 2006, 08:41:52 PM

That's ok, the story in Halo seemed incomplete as well, so they were just continuing the 'theme'.
You guys must have played the wrong Halo. The one I played made plenty of sense.
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 11:12:27 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 24, 2006, 10:18:00 PM

You guys must have played the wrong Halo. The one I played made plenty of sense.

It made sense, it just sucked.

The "secret" of the Halo sucked.  Bungie should have made Master Chief take off his helmet to reveal that he is, indeed, Gordon Freeman.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 12:47:24 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 24, 2006, 11:12:27 PM

Quote from: Calvin on November 24, 2006, 10:18:00 PM

It made sense, it just sucked.

The "secret" of the Halo sucked.  Bungie should have made Master Chief take off his helmet to reveal that he is, indeed, Gordon Freeman.
No, the secret didn't. See how fun stating opinion as fact can be?
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 03:58:48 AM »

Roll Eyes

If I say something sucks, one would logically conclude that such is my opinion.  I wasn't aware I had to spell that concept out to anyone.  Everyone here needs to chill out and quit being such snippy bitches.

If you would like to have a discussion, perhaps you can convince me how Halo's story wasn't highly derivative of the most popular PC game (prior to Half Life 2, that is).  So please enlighten me how this

bears absolutely no recemblance to this

(or this, of course)

IMO, their story was one big letdown.  Here they have this huge war going on with an enemy race which won't communicate with them... a gigantic mysterious artifact which mysteriously lured them there... an AI of dubious loyalties... and then some genius decided to drag and drop either the story from Half-Life or the story from Alien into it.  Yeah... really interesting.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 04:15:18 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:58:13 AM »

Virtually every game that has followed Half-Life has copied it in some way. Who gives a damn? Similar looking aliens and all that...whooo...dealbreaker!! smile Of course I know its your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it-I just get sick of all the bashing sine I liked the game and see no reason not to respond!  :slywink:
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 07:58:25 PM »

Oh, I'm not saying it wasn't a fun game, or that it has a lot of fans.  But for years I was hearing how great the stories in Marathon were, and how great Bungie was at putting together a game story, etc... then they just put out a pretty cool game with a highly derivative overall story, and neglected the parts of their story which WERE interesting.

I haven't played Halo 2 yet, hopefully it's story is better.

But another thing which really gets me is that Halo was originally going to be a PC game... so why wouldn't they have purposely avoided a story resembling Half-Life, which (had it come out first as a PC game) it would have definitely been compared to?  To me, that just never made sense, but perhaps I'm just in the tiny minority of gamers which cares about the story, rather than viewing it as some thin superfluous pretext for blowing stuff up.

[edit] blah, never mind.  Sorry for hijacking the thread.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 08:02:29 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 11:00:44 AM »

Bungie lost a lot of their uniqueness when they were bought out by Microsoft.  They still retain their game polish and good gameplay, though.

Halo was nothing special, to me is was simply the culmination of a lot of various gameplay features used in various FPS games in a nice polished package.  And yes, the story sucked, but the gameplay was good.  Simply put, good gameplay can carry mediocre story.  Much like good dialogue can carry a bad animation.

The story in Halo 2 was worlds better, especially with the addition of the arbiter, who was actually given a lot more characterization than the master chief.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »

halo2 for me went the same way as metal gear 2 and failed to make any impression on me,they gave you another playable character in the game...no one wanted to play as the convenant or whatever they are called...no one wanted to play as girlie raiden either...we wanted to play as solid snake and master chief...those characters were what made the originals a hit...wait a minute...didnt devil may cry give you another playable character in DMC2?...and that was pants as well

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 07:46:55 AM »

just finished myself.  although it was very short (perhaps the shortest game i've played), it was perfect length for me.  with my short spurts of playtime and sometimes days between sessions, i liked that i could finish it in about 10 hours.  and count me in as one that had no idea what the story was.  good thing i like the controls, graphics, and combat because the story was terrible to me.  great game though.......looking forward to replaying it in a few weeks and trying out the multiplayer.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 04:47:49 PM »

BTW- You get some back story if you leave the game sitting at the title screen for 4-5 minutes.

It's not much but it's something.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 05:16:28 PM »

Halo 2's story was pretty good until the sudden cut right when you thought it was getting good, and then, well you know...

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 06:46:10 PM »

So that is where you have been, eh, Metal?  Tongue

I finally saw a fair amount of Gears of War... and it certainly is an amazing looking game.  This past weekend we had a family get-together at my cousin's house and his boys were playing it.  I was watching, in awe, like I was at a movie.

I also decided, however, that it is not the game for me (assuming I ever get my head out of The Game That Shall Not Be Named.)  Maybe it is due to not having played a first -person "style" shooter for months - yeah I know it was third person, but it's whole style and the cool over the shoulder view just reminded me of an FPS.  The problem is that it just looked like it would be too fast, too hard, and too frustrating for me to play, lol.  Game developers really should understand that there are many kinds of gamers out there, including disabled, old, slow, and dopey folks like me!  The kids playing the game are 12 and 16 - perfect age to be great at a game like  this, and they were  having trouble in spots that would've driven my nuts.

As of lack of story, I don't mind that too much... some games are made great by a good story, some don't need it much, depends on what you want out of the experience.  I also can't really comment on it, since I saw about two hours of the game.... for what it is worth I saw no story, just exciting shoot-em-up gameplay.  Just my two cents.. um a dollar,  inflation.  :slywink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 06:55:05 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on December 05, 2006, 06:46:10 PM

I finally saw a fair amount of Gears of War... and it certainly is an amazing looking game.  This past weekend we had a family get-together at my cousin's house and his boys were playing it.
The kids playing the game are 12 and 16 - perfect age to be great at a game like  this, and they were  having trouble in spots that would've driven my nuts.

I'm always a little shocked when I hear about kids playing games like this one.    I know it happens.   I know it all "depends on the kid" as well.   I wouldn't make any judgemental statements to anyone either.  However, I can still be a little shocked though right?

Regarding the length of the SP campaign, I wish they had included an act on Emergence Day itself.   Also, an act leading to the events of Marcus Fenix getting thrown in jail.    That would have made it pretty much a decent amount of SP game.  I think you would get a better sense of the "destroyed beauty".

- shaggy

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 07:07:15 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on December 05, 2006, 06:55:05 PM

Regarding the length of the SP campaign, I wish they had included an act on Emergence Day itself.   Also, an act leading to the events of Marcus Fenix getting thrown in jail.   

Can you say Prequel?
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 07:13:26 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 05, 2006, 07:07:15 PM

Quote from: shaggydoug on December 05, 2006, 06:55:05 PM

Regarding the length of the SP campaign, I wish they had included an act on Emergence Day itself.   Also, an act leading to the events of Marcus Fenix getting thrown in jail.   

Can you say Prequel?

Avilable for download via Xbox Live. You know it's coming, oh yes, you do. I don't think we'll get a prequel, but definitely a continuation of the story itself.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2006, 09:52:52 PM »

I agree that the story didn't make a lot of sense.  It was also pretty short.  It was a fun game anyway.  I look forward to the sequel.  Hell, I look forward to playing it again on Hardcore.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2006, 06:37:06 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on December 05, 2006, 06:46:10 PM

So that is where you have been, eh, Metal?  Tongue

I finally saw a fair amount of Gears of War... and it certainly is an amazing looking game.  This past weekend we had a family get-together at my cousin's house and his boys were playing it.  I was watching, in awe, like I was at a movie.

I also decided, however, that it is not the game for me (assuming I ever get my head out of The Game That Shall Not Be Named.)  Maybe it is due to not having played a first -person "style" shooter for months - yeah I know it was third person, but it's whole style and the cool over the shoulder view just reminded me of an FPS.  The problem is that it just looked like it would be too fast, too hard, and too frustrating for me to play, lol.  Game developers really should understand that there are many kinds of gamers out there, including disabled, old, slow, and dopey folks like me!  The kids playing the game are 12 and 16 - perfect age to be great at a game like  this, and they were  having trouble in spots that would've driven my nuts.

As of lack of story, I don't mind that too much... some games are made great by a good story, some don't need it much, depends on what you want out of the experience.  I also can't really comment on it, since I saw about two hours of the game.... for what it is worth I saw no story, just exciting shoot-em-up gameplay.  Just my two cents.. um a dollar,  inflation.  :slywink:

i was on the game that shall not be named last saturday,but as you said,you had company round,so i didnt see you...but there wasnt that many people on anyway..so i just messed about for an hour or two

yeah,the game has an 18 certificate here in the UK....due to the blood and a bit of swearing,but if kids go and buy GTA..then nothing will stop them getting GOW..................its when mothers start to complain,thats what annoys me,when it has an 18 certificate,they should keep an eye on what they do,if they are that concerned,i think its just an easy excuse for the mothers to blame someone else...and where the hell do the kids get that kind of money from for the games?...but as for the game being hard for kids...they are usually better than everyone else anyhoo

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: