http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 08:59:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally jumped on the PS3 train  (Read 1026 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »

I've been contemplating a BluRay player lately anyways, so I just broke down and finally picked up a PS3 this afternoon with a few games:

-  Uncharted 2
-  God of War 3
-  White Knight Chronicles 2 (includes the first)
-  Tales of Graces F

Looking forward to giving this thing a spin...lots of gaming goodness to be had with these 4 games, methinks.   thumbsup

Don't do much MP, but I'm 'skinypupy' if anyone wants to add me to their list.  smile

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »

If you're into strategy rpgs, you can't go wrong with Valkyrie Chronicles. I still own it after all these years.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:46:08 PM »

I know some people may disagree, but I really recommend playing the first Uncharted before the second.  They've both wonderful games, and if you haven't opened your copy yet, you'll find there's a nice dual-pack that includes them both.

-Autistic Angel
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 30, 2012, 10:42:58 PM

If you're into strategy rpgs, you can't go wrong with Valkyrie Chronicles. I still own it after all these years.

Unless the idea of "turn based" tactical gameplay turns you off, I completely agree.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 11:21:42 PM »

I played the second Valkyrie Chronicles on PSP.  Enjoyed it for a while, but the military setting didn't keep me very interested.

I actually thought I had grabbed the first Uncharted game, but apparently ended up with the second.   icon_redface  got it as a freebie from GS (they're doing Buy 2 Get 1 this weekend), so I'll probably take it back and start from the beginning.

LOVE the ability to play the old PS1 RPGs on my big screen.  Already installed Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and FF IX.  I always had a tough time with them on the PSP because it was so hard to read on that tiny screen.  Frustrated though...I can't seem to get my PS3 and PSP to talk to each other.  I've registered Remote Play on both sides, but the PSP either times out or tells me it can't find the PS3 system it's registered to.  Was really hoping I could play some of the PSP games through the PS3, but will need to get that working first (I think).

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »

Short list of some exclusives:

God of War Collection (1 & 2) - remastered PS2 ones
God of War Origins (2 PSP games) - remasted
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Ratchet & Clank Future: Clockblockers Crack in Time
Resistance series
Killzone series

Er, lots more. Have fun. I'm thinking about selling my 60gb at some point and picking up a slim myself.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 03:09:52 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 30, 2012, 10:46:08 PM

I know some people may disagree, but I really recommend playing the first Uncharted before the second.  They've both wonderful games, and if you haven't opened your copy yet, you'll find there's a nice dual-pack that includes them both.

-Autistic Angel

I agree with this.  There are some big frustrations for some (myself included) with the first, but it's worth playing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Davidbld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 05:08:11 AM »

Congrats! Jumped on this about 3 weeks ago myself. Am using it as a Dvd/blu-ray player (as well as Netflix) and have a few games. Im into pinball, and I like how most pinball games on the Ps3 will let you compare scores with your on-line friends. Will hit you up to add to my friends list. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 08:05:52 AM »

Have you considered subscribing to Playstation Plus?  If you sign up before Tuesday, you'll get access to the "Instant Library" of twelve games, including LittleBigPlanet 2, inFamous 2, Space Marine, and more.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »

Metal Gear Solid 4

Some people hated on it,but its still a great game IMO,especially if you are a Metal Gear fan

And the the ICO/SOTC HD re-releases are no brainers(i really need to get back to these)

Gratch- I too had problems with PS3/PSP...it was really hit and miss,i just kept on trying (after wired together to register them both with each other),i was doing it for the other way round(i had FF7 disc in the PS3 and would play the game in bed on my PSP)...my PSP died a long time ago,so not tried it for a few years now,i was kind of hoping an update would of solved the problems i was having,but if you are still having problems,then i guess not

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 09:42:36 AM »

What? Nobody has mentioned Heavy Rain? That's one of the PS3's must-play games! Don't skip it! I'd rank its importance on the platform as immediately below the Uncharted series.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 10:26:28 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 01, 2012, 09:42:36 AM

What? Nobody has mentioned Heavy Rain? That's one of the PS3's must-play games! Don't skip it! I'd rank its importance on the platform as immediately below the Uncharted series.

I avoided mentioning it on purpose Tongue..i wasn't a fan,but i guess you are right,it does have its crowd so i suppose it does something right for those who liked it

I forgot to add,to check out games that are multiplat..some offer free games/bonus's over the 360 versions

Medal of Honor(has Medal of Honor Frontline HD included)
Dead Space 2(came with Playstation Move title Dead Space Extraction...the once Wii exclusive Dead Space prequel)
Batman Arkham Asylum(on PS3 you could play as The Joker in the combat rooms)

there are more(anyone else know any?),but i am having trouble remembering them...there was something to do with getting Assassins Creed for free but not sure if that was a past AC game or will be for AC3

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 01:03:11 PM »

Get Resistance 1 for a throwback to the Doom style of gaming if it had been updated with the production values, gameplay enhancements, and story of 5 years ago. You can skip resistance 2 for the most part, read the story online, the gameplay wasn't that great since they tried to change it up too much without going far enough and ended up in a bad spot between CoD and classic FPS. Resistance 3 is an extraordinary, the only reason why it's not more well known was that R2 alienated its fanbase quite a bit.

Are you interested in the PSN downloadable games?

There's a wide variety of stuff that's worth checking out:

Super Stardust (get the latest version) is a very good dual stick shooter.

All of the pixeljunk games have good things about them, although monsters, and shooter 1 & 2 are the best.

Journey is a pretty nice experience to go through at least once.

I think this went multiplatform, but the Naruto Shippuden is a pretty interesting, if casual, fighter, but you kinda have to like the series.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 01:38:58 PM by Turtle » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 02:18:54 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions all.  Definitely going to check out the Ico/SotC games once I can find them, and Heavy Rain is on my list as well.  Will probably skip Resistance, as I simply cannot play FPS on consoles.  Might try MGS4, but I've never been a big fan of that series (at least the PS2 titles).

I played lots of GoW3 last night and thought it was absolutely awesome.  Few games can pull off a spectacle quite like they can.  I also spent about an hour with Uncharted and was totally underwhelmed.  I had tried Uncharted on Vita and didn't like it, but I thought that was due more to the small screen and wonky touch controls.  Turns out I'm not crazy about the big-boy version either, so it will likely get get traded in.

I remember seeing something about a bunch of PS2-era games being remastered (specifically FFX) and available for download.  Has that happened yet, or is it still in the works?

Quote from: EddieA on July 01, 2012, 08:05:52 AM

Have you considered subscribing to Playstation Plus?  If you sign up before Tuesday, you'll get access to the "Instant Library" of twelve games, including LittleBigPlanet 2, inFamous 2, Space Marine, and more.

Thanks Eddie.  Had never even heard of Playstation Plus...will look into it.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »

Okay, so do yourself a favor and at least youtube the story to Uncharted 1.

Heck, here's a link to a movie edit of Uncharted 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=61Rho1tmnvk

Then, do yourself a favor and play Uncharted 2 now that you have the story for 1. U1's gameplay left a lot to be desired for many. I have no problems with it, but it really didn't hit its stride until 2 which is widely regarded as superior in every way. Including a great opening sequence that should grab you a bit better.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:27:36 PM by Turtle » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2012, 02:18:54 PM

I had tried Uncharted on Vita and didn't like it, but I thought that was due more to the small screen and wonky touch controls.  Turns out I'm not crazy about the big-boy version either, so it will likely get get traded in.

Didn't you buy it used?  I thought GameStop had an ultra-liberal return policy on used stuff that would allow you to exchange it, even opened, for something else within seven days.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 03:08:29 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 01, 2012, 02:22:05 PM

Then, do yourself a favor and play Uncharted 2 now that you have the story for 1. U1's gameplay left a lot to be desired for many. I have no problems with it, but it really didn't hit its stride until 2 which is widely regarded as superior in every way. Including a great opening sequence that should grab you a bit better.

Sorry, should have clarified...I played Uncharted 2 for an hour last night and came away unimpressed.  I can certainly see why they're popular (great production values), but I find the Tomb Raider-esque gameplay of "find the hidden ledge/button/widget" to be pretty boring.   To each their own.

Signed up for PS+ this morning as well, and am currently downloading Warhammer 40k Space Marine, LBP2, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous 2, and Virtua Fighter 5.  Doubt I would have picked up any of these on their own, but I dig having access to try them at a low price point.  And actually being able to store them all on my HDD is awesome!  I only had a 20GB HD on my 360, so downloading games simply wasn't an option.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 03:09:03 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 01, 2012, 03:04:43 PM

I had tried Uncharted on Vita and didn't like it, but I thought that was due more to the small screen and wonky touch controls.  Turns out I'm not crazy about the big-boy version either, so it will likely get get traded in.

Didn't you buy it used?  I thought GameStop had an ultra-liberal return policy on used stuff that would allow you to exchange it, even opened, for something else within seven days.

-Autistic Angel

Yes, it's going back tomorrow.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 03:14:08 PM »

I remember seeing something about a bunch of PS2-era games being remastered (specifically FFX) and available for download.  Has that happened yet, or is it still in the works?

Yeah FFX HD is still in the works,due for this year though still i think

if you didn't like the PS2 MGS titles(which have also been released in HD),then i doubt you will like MGS4

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »

Oh, I thought you were using "traded in" in the "get back a fraction of what I just paid for it" sense, not the "even exchange for something I want."  Just didn't want you to get ripped off. icon_cool

Does your acquisition of a PS3 mean you're going to play Ni no Kuni when it comes out?

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 01, 2012, 03:18:43 PM

Does your acquisition of a PS3 mean you're going to play Ni no Kuni when it comes out?

It's one of the main reasons I took the plunge, to be honest.  I'm a massive Ghibli fan, and Ni no Kuni looks like it has the potential to be one of hose genre-defining, wholly remarkable games.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 03:53:48 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2012, 03:08:29 PM

Quote from: Turtle on July 01, 2012, 02:22:05 PM

Sorry, should have clarified...I played Uncharted 2 for an hour last night and came away unimpressed.  I can certainly see why they're popular (great production values), but I find the Tomb Raider-esque gameplay of "find the hidden ledge/button/widget" to be pretty boring.   To each their own.

Signed up for PS+ this morning as well, and am currently downloading Warhammer 40k Space Marine, LBP2, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous 2, and Virtua Fighter 5.  Doubt I would have picked up any of these on their own, but I dig having access to try them at a low price point.  And actually being able to store them all on my HDD is awesome!  I only had a 20GB HD on my 360, so downloading games simply wasn't an option.

If InFamous 2 clicks with you, I recommend the first one, too.

Heck, you could swap Uncharted for it.

Also, Wipeout HD and it's expansion are fantastic games on PSN.  A lot of the PixelJunk games are good.  PixelJunk Shooter is my favorite.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:00:08 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2012, 03:35:04 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 01, 2012, 03:18:43 PM

It's one of the main reasons I took the plunge, to be honest.  I'm a massive Ghibli fan, and Ni no Kuni looks like it has the potential to be one of hose genre-defining, wholly remarkable games.

Don't hold your breath- I was remarkably unimpressed with it at E3 and I LOVELOVELOVE Ghibli

The demo they had played like a totally generic JRPG complete with awkward UI

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 04:15:21 PM »

Interesting, although I put zero stock in RGP demos.  I've hated the demos for some of the RPGs that hav turned out to be my favorites, and vice versa.  Seems to me that story and characters would be paramount in this game (given Ghiblis influence), and there's no way for that to come across in a demo.

Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 04:40:03 PM »

Have you played Just Cause 2?  It's not an exclusive but it sure is good!  I really enjoyed Assasins Creed 2, Demons Souls and have heard great things about Dragons Dogma.

I second the recommendation for playstation plus.  $49.99 buys you a year, plus gobs of free and top notch games right now...plus the promise of more free and discounted games in the future.

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2012, 04:15:21 PM

Interesting, although I put zero stock in RGP demos.  I've hated the demos for some of the RPGs that hav turned out to be my favorites, and vice versa.  Seems to me that story and characters would be paramount in this game (given Ghiblis influence), and there's no way for that to come across in a demo.

It was the encounter mechanics that completely killed all interest for me. Coupled with the fact that it looks like you'll be using those mechanics a LOT

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »

I found this video from EpicNameBro about the Japanese version to be surprisingly informative.  He goes into some detail about the encounter mechanics and the tactical considerations of moving, attacking, healing, and swapping out your characters.  Looked a little slow paced, but I know he was showing off tutorial-level material and had nothing but praise for how things evolve from there.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 01, 2012, 03:53:48 PM

If InFamous 2 clicks with you, I recommend the first one, too.

Yeah, I'll second that.  There's no compelling reason to grind through the first inFamous, but if you like it enough to feel curious about the vague plot points they skim through at the beginning, you could always go back and play it afterwards.  I recommend doing it on Easy though, where being sniper-shot from a quarter-mile way by bums with shotguns won't leave you feeling like the least super-powered guy in town.

Disclaimer: I have played both inFamous games on Hard and thoroughly enjoyed them.  It just isn't an experience I'd recommend to others.

-Autistic Angel
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 07:25:26 PM »

Journey!!!!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 08:16:36 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 01, 2012, 06:49:44 PM

Yeah, I'll second that.  There's no compelling reason to grind through the first inFamous, but if you like it enough to feel curious about the vague plot points they skim through at the beginning, you could always go back and play it afterwards.  I recommend doing it on Easy though, where being sniper-shot from a quarter-mile way by bums with shotguns won't leave you feeling like the least super-powered guy in town.

I couldn't stand Infamous, partly because of what you just said, and partly because the so-called "moral choices" came down to a choice between "help the old lady cross the street" and "murder the old lady and hang her mutilated body from a lamppost as an example to others". It's like the Fischer Price version of actual choices, like being handed a book called "Baby's First Moral Choice" and being asked to take it seriously.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »

I thought the first inFamous was a fantastic game.  Other than the main characters being uninteresting and unlikeable for most of the game, I thought everything else was top-notch.  Your ever-expanding arsenal of abilities really made you feel like you were a normal person gaining amazing powers, and by the time you got all of your movement skills, it was a blast to just move around the city.  I've never had so much fun just moving around in a game.  It also has one of the best endings ever, and the ending turns it into a great superhero origin story.

Signed up for PS+ this morning as well, and am currently downloading Warhammer 40k Space Marine, LBP2, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous 2, and Virtua Fighter 5.

Make sure to download Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone and Hard Corp: Uprising before they update the PSN store on Tuesday.  Those two and Virtua Fighter 5 will be taken down then to be replaced by other games.  Once you've downloaded them (or at least started the download to add the game to your account) you'll be able to download them again in the future as long as you're a PS+ member.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 01, 2012, 10:29:43 PM

I thought the first inFamous was a fantastic game.  Other than the main characters being uninteresting and unlikeable for most of the game, I thought everything else was top-notch.  Your ever-expanding arsenal of abilities really made you feel like you were a normal person gaining amazing powers, and by the time you got all of your movement skills, it was a blast to just move around the city.  I've never had so much fun just moving around in a game.  It also has one of the best endings ever, and the ending turns it into a great superhero origin story.

I second all of that, although I actually liked Cole.  His partner becomes less irritating in the second game, IIRC.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 11:28:14 PM »

How long does it typically take downloaded games to install?  Set LBP2 to install and it's been going now for nearly 25 minutes and is only at 8%.  Doesn't seem like there's any way to restart it without rebooting the system (which it's telling me specifically not to do).  Is this normal or is my install process borked?  And how badly with it fark up the system if I just shut it down?

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »

Sounds normal. You can restart it, will probably give you a warning message when it starts up again may even have to do a quick fix at least it did when I had to restart after a giant SOCOM 4 download/install was taking too long.

I'd highly recommend you pick up MAG. Of all the games I've played on PS3 it's the one I always keep coming back to. While most other FPS games are still rocking the 12vs12 (and even smaller) game sizes MAG offers true 128vs128 combat on an epic scale.
Even MAG's smallest game size your team size alone is bigger than everyone combined in a game of COD or Battlefield 3. 
Plus it may move you to play a little more multiplayer since there is no singleplayer.
Think I saw copies of MAG for like $6 used at Gamestop.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2012, 11:49:17 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on July 01, 2012, 11:38:49 PM

Sounds normal. You can restart it, will probably give you a warning message when it starts up again may even have to do a quick fix at least it did when I had to restart after a giant SOCOM 4 download/install was taking too long.

Clarification:  it's already downloaded, this is just the install process.  Seems strange to me that it would take hours (plural) to simply install a game, but maybe that's just the way PS3 rolls.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2012, 11:53:57 PM »

That's what I meant, it's normal (for PS3 anyway) to install a file of that size.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2012, 11:56:31 PM »

IIRC one of the Uncharteds (I think it was 2) had a pretty good sized (around a gig) patch or two you can look forward to, but luckily no install.  if you plan on grabbing that one just plan on not being able to play right away.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 12:00:14 AM »

Actually, you are not required to install any patches for PS3 games. Just choose to cancel the patch install instead of downloading when the prompt comes up for a game.

It's only required if you're going to play online.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 12:12:57 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 02, 2012, 12:00:14 AM

Actually, you are not required to install any patches for PS3 games. Just choose to cancel the patch install instead of downloading when the prompt comes up for a game.

It's only required if you're going to play online.

good point, and I imagine UC2's MP may be quite dead now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 12:16:27 AM »

If you have long downloads/installs, you can have the PS3 do them while you're not using it.  Just queue up your downloads, go to turn off the PS3, and select "Turn off PS3 when downloads are finished".  The games will be installed and ready to go the next time you turn on the system.  This is also a good time to charge the controller.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 08:00:50 PM »

Swapped out the supplied A/V cable with an HDMI one yesterday... eek  It's like a whole different system!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: