http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 09:17:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally had enough - I'm done with all Red Storm games  (Read 1833 times)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2005, 02:05:39 PM »

I've finally had enough.  The straw the broke the camel's back was Ghost Recon 2.  I'm already stuck 3 missions into the game.

Splinter Cell was fun but sooooooooo linear.  I felt really deceived by the developers over Pandora Tomorrow when they kept saying how they were going to address how linear Splinter Cell was.  What a joke!  Pandora Tomorrow was totally linear as well.

They ruined Rainbox Six 3 for me with the timed mission.  I hate that crap.

In the end, I keep getting stuck in Red Storm games and they are ALL extremely linear.  I'm done.  Way done.

The only things that can be trusted is anything from Bioware and the Halo games.  Might buy Mercenaries and Area 51 could be fun along with Pariah.  We'll see.

I never get stuck in Halo or Bioware games.  Never.  They're fun.  Red Storm games are an exercise in compound frustration.  My gaming time is very, very limited and I don't have time to replay one mission 30 times (like I've already done with Ghost Recon mission #3).

I'm not buying Red Storm anything in the future until they make drastic changes to their games.
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 02:10:20 PM »

The only Red Storm games I played to completion were the original Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon (plus its expansions).  I love them both.  I started Rogue Spear but it felt like more of the same.  Ghost Recon 2 sounds dumbed down from the PC version of GR1 so I think I'll pass.

They're a pretty hit or miss developer in my book.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 02:51:40 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

They're a pretty hit or miss developer in my book.

Red Storm doesn't develop much anymore.  I *think* they did Ghost Recon 2.  Otherwise Splinter Cell, Pandorra Tomorrow, and at least the Xbox version of Rainbow Six 3 (maybe the PC version too) were all developed by various studios at Ubisoft and not at Red Storm.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 03:39:17 PM »

Yeah I did finish Splinter Cell 1 but I remember it being a different developer.  I did like it though.  Not enough to buy the sequel but #1 was fun.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 04:55:18 PM »

I spent $4 for Splinter Cell and wish I hadn't.  Repeatedly replaying a small section, dying and then having to redo until I found the exact right move just didn't appeal to me.  Maybe I'm missing something... or not.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 05:06:31 PM »

Quote from: "Qbe"
or not.

That's the one.  Red Storm games are characterized by - Find out *exactly* how the developers intended for you to beat this level or you're screwed.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »

I haven't really been stuck on anything in Ghost Recon 2 yet.. it lets you save anywhere, so I really didn't ever have to replay more than a few minutes worth of a level. I just save after each major firefight.

Also, it's worth owning just for it's multiplayer, especially co-op. There's no linearity to you and three others taking on four other humans on a big map, looking around wondering when you'll wander into someone's crosshairs.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 06:29:44 PM »

It lets you save anywhere?  I must be doing something wrongbecause I tried saving from the menu mid-game and it didn't do jack for me.  I just got it though and having a heck of a time just getting through thte first level.  I want to do it without anyone dying?  But now that I think of it, is that even a good thing to do?  Is there a penalty for losing your squad members?
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 06:51:16 PM »

Quote from: "DiamondDecision"
Quote from: "Qbe"
or not.

That's the one.  Red Storm games are characterized by - Find out *exactly* how the developers intended for you to beat this level or you're screwed.

Thanks for confirming what I already suspected.  I won't be wasting my time on any more Red Storm games if that's the case.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 09:41:54 PM »

Hmm, interesting.  I love the Rainbow 6 III games on the X-Box.  And I had fun with Pandora Tomorrow once I realized that it was not a free-form game.  I wish they were more open about planning but as is I still enjoy them very much and am looking forward to Chaos Theory.  I didn't like GR1 on the X-Box because the planning system was a pain in the ass.  GR2 I'll pick up when I done with all of my other holiday titles.  Oh well, sorry you don't enjoy them.
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 07:22:28 PM »

If you thought I was too hard on Ghost Recon 2, I just saw the official review from Electronic Gaming Monthly:

2.5 out of 10,
3.0 out of 10,
5.5 out of 10.

In other words, it blowz.  The game is just awful.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 07:38:36 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
It lets you save anywhere?  I must be doing something wrongbecause I tried saving from the menu mid-game and it didn't do jack for me.  I just got it though and having a heck of a time just getting through thte first level.  I want to do it without anyone dying?  But now that I think of it, is that even a good thing to do?  Is there a penalty for losing your squad members?

Yeah, it lets you save anywhere.  I actually have three saves for my campaign. I keep one save at the beginning of a level, I used the second every time I finish a firefight without taking damage myself, and the third I use as kind of an extra. If I feel like I'm near the end of the level, but I'm hurt bad or missing a teammate or two, I save on the third slot to see if I can still push through to the end with my team in bad shape.

There's no penalty for losing a teammate. You don't have to worry about them in this one, as they don't carry over from one mission to the next.

*Edit*
Also, when you load a saved game, pay close attention and be sure you hit the right button when you load it. It brings up a prompt that asks you if you want to resume the level where you left off, or start it over, and gives a button choice for each.

If you thought I was too hard on Ghost Recon 2, I just saw the official review from Electronic Gaming Monthly:

2.5 out of 10,
3.0 out of 10,
5.5 out of 10.

That's an extremely harsh review, and in my own personal opinion those scores are far from what the game deserves. After a read, I'd swear the reviewer had made up his mind long before he actually touched the game.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 08:57:45 PM »

2.5 out of 10,
3.0 out of 10,
5.5 out of 10.

That's for the PS2 version which is essentially a different game than the Xbox version.  They were considerably kinder to the Xbox edition (reviewed in the previous month's issue).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 11:55:27 PM »

Ghost Recon is a hard game in general, and I figured the sequel would be the same.  That being said I really like Red Storms games on the PC.  I'm still hoping that Ghost Recon 2 is different than the console versions.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 01:07:56 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"

Yeah, it lets you save anywhere.  I actually have three saves for my campaign. I keep one save at the beginning of a level, I used the second every time I finish a firefight without taking damage myself, and the third I use as kind of an extra. If I feel like I'm near the end of the level, but I'm hurt bad or missing a teammate or two, I save on the third slot to see if I can still push through to the end with my team in bad shape.

Thanx J.  I actually played this morning and saved and everything worked great.  I think I pushed the wrong button like you said.  Kinda weird, seems ike the perfect game for check points or at least a "quick-save" button.
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 11:38:41 AM »

Huh, weird. It's a difficult game, but definitely not frustrating. I've done some reloading, but not overly much.

That being said, I like the game quite a bit, it's got great athmosphere, some nice graphics and it's not too dumbed down.

I was afraid the lone wolf missions would suck, but that camera-gun is pretty cool smile I am disliking the framerate though. It's not horrible, but it has a bit of stuttering once in a while.

I'm glad I bought the game though (and I haven't even taken it online yet smile )

HELLO!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 09:28:55 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Ghost Recon is a hard game in general, and I figured the sequel would be the same.  That being said I really like Red Storms games on the PC.  I'm still hoping that Ghost Recon 2 is different than the console versions.

The PC and XBox versions of the game are the same.  They are more like the original Ghost Recon and they use the new engine and they happen after way has broken out.  The PS2 and Gamecube versions are supposedly "stealth-oriented", use the original engine, and happen before the events of the PC/Xbox version.  The stealth desiginator is just a way to say they can't put as many people on the screen or make the levels as big as the Xbox.  They really should have named the games differently because they are completely different games with different story-lines.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2005, 03:50:21 AM »

Once I realized how to work the save and had some time to invest in it I must say, it ain't half bad.  I just got up to using the camera-gun and its quite enjoyable.  I thought I would have the team with me the whole time, which I didn't mind, but getting the new gadgets is pretty cool.

I like having the team with me, but they don't seem that smart.  Its kinda limited what you can tell them to do.  Most of the time they just come with me.  Occasionaly I use an "advance" command if I only have a sniper's equipment but other than taking down vehicles they don't do much.  

Particularly, they never seem to follow my "flank" commands, they always get shot to pieces.  Do you have to focus on an object for them to flank to or does it have to be appropriate to flank for it to work?  A little confused on the strategy there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: