http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:31:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: finally buying one of these things  (Read 2512 times)
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2004, 05:05:12 PM »

I've received a credit at Best Buy and one of my options of spending it is to buy a console.   I'm doing the PS2 vs. X-Box vs. should I just wait debate and looking for input from the collective mind trust.  I'm short on time at the moment and was hoping for quick answers to the following:

1.  When is the next generation of consoles coming out?   I thought I had heard the PS2 successor was coming in 05 sometime.  

2.  Given that I have an HDTV and X-Box does DVI, what resolution should I expect from games on the X-box?   What type of games and a rough percentage of games actually support HD output?  I remember when Bill over at GG was getting into this with sports games and lamenting that there just weren't enough HD games out there.

3.  Given that I have an 8 yr. old and a 4 yr old who are both into games that are more "girl like"  (they are both girls and shoot-em-ups aren't so exciting or allowed by us parents), would I be better to get a PS2 and forego the HD advantage of the X-box?   Their games of choice over at the relatives have been the Spyro series, that Racoon guy, and Spongebob.  Yes, I realize that 2 of those are PS2 only titles.   Are there similar titles on the X-box?

4.  The "live" option on these games:  Aren't they both "subscription" based fees and how much are they?

5.  And maybe the trump card in all the above, which is the best hockey game on which platform?

Thanks for all your help.  

- shaggy

HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 05:10:19 PM »

If I could ONLY OWN ONE it would be a PS2. The GTA Series/Ratchet and Clank Series.... and on and on...

The only EXCLUSIVEs you cant play is really Halo 2....

Xbox Live is FAR better than the PS2 online....

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 06:13:44 PM »

If I had to keep only one of them, it would be the XBox.

When I first bought my HDTV, the PS2 looked so jagged on it (large screen, 65") that I sold my PS2 and bought the XBox.

It looks so much better than the PS2 did.

Just giving you my two cents about the graphics side of it
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 06:35:14 PM »

I bought the xbox....and man am I addicted, I barely posts here anymore...everyday, I'm thinking of the games...I'm so sad smile

Your choice should be the XBox. (IMHO)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 06:40:18 PM »

A couple things:

-  Graphically, the X-Box is heads and shoulders above the PS2.  It looks awesome on an HDTV.  If a game is multi-platform, I will always get it for X-Box simply because it looks so much better.

-  The selection of titles is not nearly as good for X-Box, imo.  This will obviously depend on what genres you like, but there is a far greater selection of RPG's and "niche" titles (Katamari Damacy, Disgaea, Culdcept, etc.) for PS2.  X-Box is best for sports, action, and racing games and PS2 is best for platformers, RPG's, and the quirky stuff.  

-  Can't speak for the on-line features, as I don't bother with them.  The idiot to quality gamer ratio is way too high.

-  From everything I've heard, the X-Box 2 will be out sometime in 2005 and the PS3 will be released either in late 2005 or 2006.  All indicators are pointing to an X-Box release long before a PS3 launch.  

Hope that helps  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 06:41:06 PM »

1. No one knows for sure, but the Xbox2 is generally thought to be the first out of the gate next fall.

2. Quick clarification: Xbox does not support DVI - the Xbox-HD pack uses component output.  Because of the performance hit, there are extremely few HD games.  Most of the HD games use 720p, so you have to have a HDTV that either supports this resolution or can properly upscale it to 1080i.  What little support there was for 720p has greatly fallen off the last year or so, although a lot of the sports games support it.  X-Men Legends and the Tony Hawk series are other examples of recent releases that have it as well.  Check the link in my sig for other HD games.

As far as 1080i goes, there's only 3 games that I know of: Dragon's Lair 3D, Enter the Matrix, and Syberia (in 4:3).

All that said, the big 'HD' advantage of the Xbox is that 99% of their games support 480p which still look great.  A smattering of PS2 games support 480p, but it's not nearly as widespread...

3.  The Xbox library has very few selections in it for younger gamers.  The PS2 has quite a few games for the younger set, while the Gamecube has quite a few games that appeal to all ages (Animal Crossing, Pikmin 2, etc.).  If the system is going to be used a lot by the kids, I'd suggest picking up the Cube or PS2 for this reason alone.

4. XBox Live is subscription based - $49.99 a year.  However, you get an extremely nice centralized gaming service with great support and great ease of use.  The PS2's is free, but there is not centralized service - each game has its own matchmaking services included (if any).  But again, it's free...

5. ESPN Hockey is the best, but available for all 3 platforms :-)  The Xbox has the best version of it though...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 07:10:22 PM »

Thanks for the info but of course looking for more.   To clarify what I have at home, I have a Samsung 46" DLP.   Component input is currently not in use so that is not a problem.   I just assumed the xbox used dvi and should have realized it didn't.   The "Sammie", as me and my friends affectionately call it, supports 720p and converts everything to that.  

- shaggy

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 07:23:20 PM »

Dimmona, it looks like that site you have linked hasn't been updated recently.  There was a link to this at the end of the thread though.  You can turn off which columns you want to show and narrow it down to the system as well.  I turned off the comments and the last few columns as I didn't know what they stood for anyway and it became very readable.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 07:31:07 PM »

Hmm I live and die by my Xbox but youve probably gotten the correct gist of it from the posts thus far.  If youre goin to be the primary user, get the Xbox - if your daughters are gonna be the main beneficiaries get the PS2.  I hafta say though - unless your daughters are already "hardcore" there are enough cutesy lil platformers on Xbox, and they probably wont really care one way or the other.  You on the other hand...  Just ask yourself whos toy this is - yours or theirs - and because you didnt even mention gamecube Im gonna assume youre goin to be the prime user of this and just wanna make sure the kiddies will have somethin fun from it also.  Youre in luck that theyre not boys - then theyd be done for as Xbox is basically devoid of all the Yugioh Dragonball type stuff.  Spongebob is on Xbox fyi.  Use this as you see fit... good luck - and theres enough good material on both systems where you probably wont be disappointed regardless of which you get - provided you dont look at what an Xbox looks like on Hidef compared to PS2.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 08:05:04 PM »

I'm going to say PS2, mostly for it's library.  I honestly don't have a problem with the PS2's graphics in any form as most of the decent games are well done in the first place. For the record, I don't own an X-box, as only three titles on that system truly appeal to me (the mech games). I do own a Gamecube, but I pretty much have it to cover the nintendo specific titles.

Now, I don't do sports games, and the other games I can get really cover the gamut of what's available.  It's got the RPGs I want (dot-hack, Bard's Tale, Xenosaga),  it's got the strategy games I want (Culdcept, Dynasty Tactics, etc), and it has the action games I want (Rachet and Clank, Dynasty Warriors, R-type, etc).  Add on top of that, all my PS1 games are still available to me (including my copy of Carnage Heart...mmm..chip coding).  My opinion might be different only if I played a different genre of games.  Xbox still hasn't hit its stride in the RPG/Strategy games department, and what few games I do like on the system I can play for an hour on a friends xbox and be done with them.

The Xbox really does appeal to the mainstream gamers, and it has had its share of good titles.  The other reason I'm in no hurry to get one is the fact that *most* of the A+ titles that I would want are coming out on PC as well (KOTOR II, Ghost Recon 2).  Now the only downside to my assesment is that I know little to nothing of the sports games personally for the PS2.  I do have some friends that play the Sports games obessesively, and they are quite happy to use their PS2 to do it.  The EA sports line seems to be their favorite, but there are some Sega sports titles that they have high regard for.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 04:20:38 AM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
Dimmona, it looks like that site you have linked hasn't been updated recently.  There was a link to this at the end of the thread though.  You can turn off which columns you want to show and narrow it down to the system as well.  I turned off the comments and the last few columns as I didn't know what they stood for anyway and it became very readable.

Yeah, the problem with the database you linked (besides the comments) is that it's entirely run by user submissions without any verifications - and a very large number of them are wrong.  I was actually planning on putting up a similar site w/ reviews/screenshots and such, but I haven't had a free weekend to work on it smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 03:27:44 PM »

If it's primarily for the kids go with a PS2.  The library is unquestionably superior for the younger age group.

If it's for you... I'd go Xbox.  It's prettier and there are plenty of deep titles available.

Though if you are interested in Japanese/console style RPGs the PS2's library is again, superior to the Xboxes.   In fact, I can't think of ANY on the Xbox.
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 06:03:51 PM »

Quote from: "shaggydoug"
1.  When is the next generation of consoles coming out?   I thought I had heard the PS2 successor was coming in 05 sometime.

Right now, it's largely speculative; but a lot of people are predicting Xbox 2 next fall and PS3 in spring 2006.  "No later than end of 2006" seems a safe bet.  Cool

2.  Given that I have an HDTV and X-Box does DVI, what resolution should I expect from games on the X-box?   What type of games and a rough percentage of games actually support HD output?

Xbox doesn't do DVI, it does HDTV using component video cables.  For a list of console games with HDTV support (and for which resolutions & aspect ratios), go to HDTV Arcade; it's not definitive, but it's the most complete listing I've found.

3.  There are a fair number of platformers on the Xbox, but the majority of them (and the best ones) are on the PS2 & Gamecube.  MS has deliberately positioned the Xbox as the more mature / "hArDk0r3" console - it's not exactly hostile to young'uns, but the vast majority of its games are skewed to an older, predominantly male audience, IMHO.

4.  Xbox Live is MS's online gaming service, which does charge a flat fee for a subscription, but there are no extra fees for individual games (except for Phantasy Star Online).  [Some games do charge to download "premium" content, though, like new maps.]  A year's subscription is currently a flat fee of $50.  There are also subscription cards which can add to your Xbox Live account time - many of which are bundled free with Xbox games.  So it's pretty easy to try out Xbox Live for free to see if you like it; and not hard to keep playing online free, if you buy a steady stream of games with these subscription cards.

5.  Hockey's not my thing, but I know Sega's NHL 2005 got pretty high marks (and is only $20 to boot).  It's cross-platform, but I'm pretty sure the Xbox version was the best overall.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 06:12:54 PM »

Why haven't you considered a Gamecube?  Not that I'm in love with the system or anything, frankly I'm a PS2 fanboi myself, but the 'Cube is another option, and a fantastic one if your purchase is to be enjoyed by kids, considering, well, Nintendo's more into the "kiddie" stuff.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 06:35:17 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Why haven't you considered a Gamecube?  Not that I'm in love with the system or anything, frankly I'm a PS2 fanboi myself, but the 'Cube is another option, and a fantastic one if your purchase is to be enjoyed by kids, considering, well, Nintendo's more into the "kiddie" stuff.

The cousins have a PS2 is why.   The game "exchange" is something I'm considering.    If I'm going non-Xbox, that is the way to go.  However, I'm afraid the number of titles that is considered "safe" by both sets of parents is rather limited.   They are pretty conservative even compared to yours truly.  The titles they have for the kids are a lego title, a couple of the Spyros, that racoon and spongebob (I believe the Bikini Bottom title).   They have 2 Scooby titles but they think one of them is a bit much for their kids while I think it's ok.  

I still haven't made up my mind and today is the day.  I'm heading to Best Buy to get RoTK:EE and was going to do the whole exchange at the same time.

- doug

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 07:16:22 PM »

Agree with others that PS2 is probably your best bet.  FWIW, I have all three consoles and the PS2 far and away gets the most use.  The only detriment is the dearth of progressive scan support.  

Another big plus for the PS2- backwards compatibility.  If your children haven't become graphics snobs there are a ton of great PS1 era games they would likely enjoy (like the first three superior Spyro titles ) that can be had very cheap.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 07:25:49 PM »

Hi,

#1 - keep an ear to G4TechTV or search their website (http://g4techtv.com) - the other day i heard half of a report about a new chip being finished which is going to speed up the console race... it sounded like they were saying that XB 2 may be coming out much sooner than expected.

#3 -  if you really want the Xbox, don't hesitate cz of the kids -  there are enough on the XB for now - and plenty for when they get just a little older: Finding Nemo, Mad Dash Racing, Blinx, the Hobbit, Spyro, Crash Twinsanity, Harry Potter, Karaoke Revolution, Knight's Apprentice, Memorix, Midway/ Namco/ Intellivision retro collections, Pro Fishing, Pure Pinball, Sonic Heroes and Sonic Mega-collection, 2 Spongebobs, Teenage Mutant N-Turtles, Ty, Tak, earlier Tony Hawks, Oddworld Munch's Oddysee, Jet Set Radio Future, Vexx, Wallace and Gromit, Cat in the Hat.  Check out one of those guides to XB games, or Parent's Guides - there is probably a free one on the Web somewhere -  to see how many of them they could handle now, their ratings, etc.   Also, i have some extra XBox playable demo discs, if you know anyone with a Box now - i'll be glad to give them to you if they have any kid's games on them - just email me.

actually, you might even want to get them a Dreamcast - it's 128 bit processing, it's dirt cheap, and has tons of cheap, cheap games they'd love- Crazy Taxi, Looney Tunes, etc. - then get yourself what you want! you can email me if you want to know more about the DC and where to find them.

#4 - there are many free online games for PS2, some with headset support (or play with another person who has unlimited minutes times on a cell phone, you both get headsets for your phones and you're Live!  Some of them cost a monthly fee though - Everquest, World of Warcraft, etc., but most are free.   Xbox Live is great (from what i hear!) and not too expensive, and there's one site on the Web where you can supposedly play for free (xboxconnect.com).  i know on the two ps2 games i've played online, you can join with someone you know in a private area and play cooperatively if you want.  XB no doubt has something similar.

sorry - zero knowledge on HDTV or sports games...

good luck!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 08:22:31 PM »

Mytocles,

Thanks!  With all those games it looks like I can have my cake and eat it too!

- shaggy

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 08:31:22 PM »

hey, Shaggy

check your PM in about five or ten minutes...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2004, 06:49:20 AM »

So as part of the continuing saga....I go down to BB with the credit and they have no XBoxes or PS2s in stock.    Yes, I've read the reports elsewhere on the board.    

They say they will be getting XBoxes in before Christmas.  However, they haven't had a PS2 for 3 months!!!!   They said very doubtful before Christmas.

- shaggy

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2004, 04:09:38 PM »

hey, Shaggy

that's a shame.  i went to EB Games online and they're out too - just factory reconditioned models and refurbished models.  if you did decide to
skip Best Buy, i know where there's a  "very rare" Xbox for sale!  if interested, go to: www.llama.com, and choose the link to Llama's Shopping Cart - but don't go there unless you want to be impressed - or depressed -  it's $759!

if you get desperate and see one in the want ads, or go to EB Games and decide to cut to the chase and not wait for Best Buy - you'll probably only find refurbs and factory reconditioned ones in-store as well (not such a bad idea, really, if XB2 is coming sooner than expected, still not sure if that's true).  but if you do that, go first to:
http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_version_comparison.htm where it will show you how to tell which version of the Xbox disc drive is in it, by simply opening the disc tray.  there's one you'd want to avoid, the Thompson... lots of probs with them, especially the earlier ones.

i feel for ya!  good luck,

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2004, 05:48:40 PM »

I'm in agreement with the PS2 over the Xbox.
There's a far greater selection of games (including a lot of kids games) and the online play is free. You need a credit card for Xbox Live and pay $50 a year (or I think $5.99 a month, been a while) I never got into it that much. It's a nice service, but I just can't justify paying to play online unless it's a MMO game like Everquest.
Keep in mind you're still hosting your own servers anyway in Xbox Live games. It's not like your $50 a year is paying Microsoft to put up some dedicated servers of their own for their games.  So what are you paying for? Oh.. "the community" because it's "good to play together!" Yeah yeah.. go to IRC if you want to chat and be part of a community. Get AOL instant messenger. But I play for the GAME not to be part of a community! Besides since all Xbox games are voice-enabled, it gets annoying with all the children screaming, cursing, complaining, and just talking about nothing. I usually just unplugged my headset and played the good old way.
Thats why I like PC gaming so much more.

If you're looking for a PS2, try www.gamestop.com and do a search for all the stores in your area.
There's a mad rush going on for PS2's right now. They're selling on Ebay for over $200.
It took me calling about 10 gamestops in the area (the tricounty area) to finally find one that had a few in stock. Rushed out there, got two of them, kept one, and sold the other one on Ebay for $390..  :wink:  (Yes, $390!)

Good luck!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2004, 05:51:09 PM »

Part of the reason for the BB wait is the store credit.  I can get the unit, the hd kit and a couple of games without paying a cent.   I probably wouldn't get the spouse pass to buy it otherwise.   We already spent a wad of cash on an outdoor playset for the kids' Christmas this year.   This was just icing on the cake.

- shaggy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: