http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 03:22:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally beat Thief Deadly Shadows (XB) - end impressions?  (Read 950 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2005, 02:11:32 AM »

***POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT***

Well, only if anyone cares what my feelings are about the ending section of the game - not the actual cinematic ending - or if anyone else adds a big spoiler....  then look out!  Otherwise:

Did anyone else feel that the ending was much, much easier than the rest of the game?  At the start, i had to discover that the knife wasn't a lot of good for anything besides stealth kills, so that was tough.  Then it was hard sneaking just about everywhere, but i liked the game enough to continue (after i went back to finish it, anyway).  Then it became pretty obvious i wouldn't be able to hurt the giant-headed hag near the end, so i just snuck my way pretty much through the end of the game.  I did have to go around that damn fountain for several turns, but still...

Or maybe a lot of people didn't finish it because they were too impatient with the sneaking?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 03:33:19 AM »

Yea, I though the ending felt a little 'tacked on' but they had to do something to 'end' her threat.  I've always dug the cinematics though....hell, I purchased the originals twice just to get the gold missions. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 04:13:21 AM »

Yes the ending was too easy. The city sections in general were (to me) the weakest points of the game. Not that they were unfun, but I would have greatly preferred a few additional "proper" missions to the somewhat repetitive and quirky AI filled city sections.

Still, I thought Thief 3 was great, and a fitting end to the series. Just thinking about it makes me sad. The Thief series are the only games I have played as an adult that really moved me and excited me like games did when I was a kid. I still love tons of other games and remain an avid gamer, but Thief was really something special.

For any around here that have only played Thief DS, for the X-box, I cannot recommend highly enough that you get the first two games for the PC. Just amazing stuff. The Thief 2 mission, Life of the Party, is just amazing, and something I will never tire of experiencing!!!!

VIVA GARRET~!~!~! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 04:28:44 AM »

I played and beat it on PC when it first came out, but just restarted it on X-Box a couple days ago.  I know this is somewhat blasphemous, but I'm actually enjoying it more on X-Box.  Playing it on the 52" screen with all the lights off is one of the more intense gaming experiences I've ever had.

I'm also very sad we won't see another Thief game.  There's plenty of "stealth-action" games on the market, but not one of them can hold a candle to the Thief series.  Truly one of a kind.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 04:51:20 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Did anyone else feel that the ending was much, much easier than the rest of the game?
Yeah.  And really, the Museum before it wasn't that hard either.

Of course, a level before that we got SHALEBRIDGE, so I'm not complaining.   biggrin

Honestly, I've found that (recently) the 'last level' is only hard in RPGs and Strategy games.  In shooters, (or sneakers like Thief), the 'final bosses' are often more puzzle-ish than they are straight tests of ability (pitched firefights in FPSes, or a huge, well-guarded mission for a sneaker).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 03:00:08 PM »

Agreed.  Shalebridge had to be one of the best levels I've seen in any game for a long long time though....wow.  Edge of your seat!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: