http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:15:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FINALLY! Brothers in Arms Reviewed!  (Read 7603 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2005, 03:42:48 AM »

Oh god, I'm on Purple Heart lane (or road?) and that mission is just a damn nightmare.  It's fun, but it's a damn nightmare for my men.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2005, 03:51:02 AM »

I`m running this in 480p mode and it looks like I explained earlier. I do play without crosshairs and it`s great that way IMO. You really should give it a chance, it really opens up into a beast of a game!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2005, 06:50:13 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I am still playing it :-)

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2005, 03:06:59 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Oh god, I'm on Purple Heart lane (or road?) and that mission is just a damn nightmare.  It's fun, but it's a damn nightmare for my men.

I just finished that last night.  That mish was a bitch.  The part where you had to make it across the causeway was totaly insane.  Just think, those guys back in the 40s actualy did that shit.  Thats what i keep telling my self as i play this game.  Im in awe at the courage that these people had, and the insane stuff they did, to save the world from the axis.  Amazing stuff.

AttA
Kiam
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2005, 03:49:48 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"

How did you take the MG at the end? The only thing I could think of was to have my fireteam suppress it from the road and send my whole assault team up one side to draw their fire while I ran the other way and smacked him with my rifle butt. Definitely the most harrowing part of the game so far for me, by far.

IMHO
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2005, 04:37:46 PM »

Quote from: "rslifka"
Hey guys, just curious if it has split-screen co-op?  I know it has split-screen but I can't figure out if it's co-op or not (by reading the GS review, this forum, and the company's site).

Rob

I'd like to know this too...
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2005, 07:05:12 PM »

For me the best thing about Brothers in Arms is what reviewers are negatively commenting on: the fact that your team mates come back alive after a mission.  I'm usually pretty anal about permanently losing teammates and because of this have not completed games such as Rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon.  Reloading after any death can get frustrating.  I also love the supression model used in BiA so that heavy machine guns are not just used to show off your sub woofers.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2005, 08:02:23 PM »

I agree I also have come to enjoy that my squad comes back after every mission. Have you even done so poorly(like me :oops: )that after dying numerous times they offer to heal your troops? Well, I obvously have :wink: .
rslifka
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2005, 04:46:40 AM »

Quote from: "The Rocketman"
Quote from: "rslifka"
Hey guys, just curious if it has split-screen co-op?  I know it has split-screen but I can't figure out if it's co-op or not (by reading the GS review, this forum, and the company's site).

Rob

I'd like to know this too...

Anyone mind humouring us and seeing if you can play this game co-op split-screen on the xbox?  Or just telling us if you know? smile

Rob
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2005, 08:39:23 AM »

Sorry guys, no coop mode.  I'm not sure why it wasn't in there, the game is begging for a coop mode.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2005, 03:40:03 PM »

So i finished this last night.  On AttA's scale of creamy gaming goodness i give this one a 9.5.  There only reason its not perfect in my book is some technical problems with multiplayer and a really annoying sound bug.  Other than these 2 problems this game is with out a doubt the best WW2 game ever.  It also happens to stand next to Ghost Recon and Rainbow six in terms of squad based goodness.  I highly recomend this game.  Its so good im starting over on the new difficulty i just unlocked.

In the long run however i think the Xbox version will be better. This is strange coming from me but i think the controller kept me honest. U see the thing is this is not like FSW where you cant ever hit a person who is behind cover. in BIA if you can see a wee little bit of a kraut's head then you can give him a .30 caliber scalping. However this game focuses on realism and that includes the fact that your average particapant in WW2 could not hit shit 90% of the time. The sight drift and the fact that a controller is naturaly less accurate than the mouse kept me from going rambo on the game. It forced me to use my squad and rely on my team to make things happen. thats not to say i did not do any killing, i definatly shot my fair share of gerrys. The difference is that i think if i had a mouse i would never have done the whole "find fix flank and kill" tactics that this game is based on. insteed i would have sat behind forward cover and picked off the krauts. I think in the end the Pc version will be too easy and less fun as a result.

AttA
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2005, 11:33:40 PM »

Having some issues.  I have just entered Carentan and got to the two tanks in the open parking lot.  I cna get the first tabk but the second one keeps parking where I can't get to it.  How do I use my team to pull the tank out?
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2005, 06:46:47 PM »

Well, I must say after all this build-up, it's a bit disappointing.

I'm playing on hard with no crosshairs, and I just beat the level Buy the Farm.

All this great AI I've read about, supposedly that the fallschirmjäger flank as well, show awareness... hmmm, can't say they seem all that bright too me. I run a couple of meters, suddenly enemies spawn and run for cover. And they stay there, while I slowly take out their fortified positions...

I'm playing this along with DoomIII, and they're both the same in that regard. Repetitive, dumb AI.

Too bad really, 'cause I like gearbox.

Makes me realise again how great Halo is...

So honestly, now that all the commotion has died down, is this game worthy of the high praise it got? I'm all for the IDEAS in this game, it's just -like in DoomIII- bad execution. How about some freeform levels, where there's a real town you have to take, instead of these linear find-the-right-approach scenarios.

Also, the 'team spirit' (aka I'm reloading because an npc I care about died) isn't that great. Can't really think of how they could improve that, other than with some more writing and better scenarios.

Hmmm, I sound a bit too negative. I like the game, it's good, but not great. And these days, I expect great if I buy a game...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: