http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:02:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII Site Launched  (Read 18029 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2010, 02:15:43 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 15, 2010, 09:06:52 AM

The difference is that we're talking about the Japanese version and people's interpretations of the story. I'm not gonna trust some dude with one semester of Japanese to grasp the story. Unless the game has an English subtitle option...?

I can't seem to find the Game Informer review, can I get a link?

Most of the NeoGaffers in question are quite fluent in Japanese.  I don't always agree with their specific tastes in JRPGs but whatever their issues with FF13 are, it certainly isn't a question of them not understanding the story. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »

It's in their magazine, but they don't post reviews online for a few weeks, presumably so people will purchase the print edition. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2010, 12:22:25 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 15, 2010, 03:29:40 PM

It's in their magazine, but they don't post reviews online for a few weeks, presumably so people will purchase the print edition. 

And by "purchase" you mean given to them as part of buying an Edge card. slywink

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2010, 05:54:17 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 16, 2010, 12:22:25 AM

Quote from: Gratch on February 15, 2010, 03:29:40 PM

And by "purchase" you mean given to them as part of buying an Edge card. slywink

I look at it this way - you're paying for the magazine like you would for every other mag out there. You get the Edge card for free.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2010, 07:53:49 PM »

Any word on Collector's Edition details yet?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2010, 09:46:21 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on February 16, 2010, 07:53:49 PM

It looks like only Europe is getting a Collector's Edition.  They haven't announced one for the US, and the game is only three weeks away.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2010, 09:49:13 PM »

Does anyone else find it odd that the 360 version has zero reviews so far? I hope they aren't holding the review copies back intentionally to hide something.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2010, 09:50:53 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 16, 2010, 09:49:13 PM

Does anyone else find it odd that the 360 version has zero reviews so far? I hope they aren't holding the review copies back intentionally to hide something.

The release is almost a month away.  Most of the reviews of the PS3 version you'll see now are from importers from the Japanese release (FF13 is PS3-exclusive in Japan). 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »

Meh.  I tend to lump multi-platform (well, PS3 and 360 anyways) reviews together unless there's something glaringly wrong with a particular version.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 16, 2010, 09:46:21 PM

Quote from: KePoW on February 16, 2010, 07:53:49 PM

It looks like only Europe is getting a Collector's Edition.  They haven't announced one for the US, and the game is only three weeks away.

Wow are you serious?  Does Square not want to make some extra money...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2010, 12:46:04 AM »

the current issue of Game Informer says 'due to time related factors, Square Enix could not provide an XBox 360 version of FFXIII for review in this issue' and they go on to say they'll evaluate it separately and report any differences.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 17, 2010, 02:15:43 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 17, 2010, 12:46:04 AM

the current issue of Game Informer says 'due to time related factors, Square Enix could not provide an XBox 360 version of FFXIII for review in this issue' and they go on to say they'll evaluate it separately and report any differences.

Yeah I started to wonder about this when I read that article the other day. Why would time related factors have allowed them to review the PS3 version and not the 360? Magazines usually review all versions at once, it makes me think that Square didn't give them the 360 version at press time or they gave it to them much later. Either way it makes me worry. I guess I'm just hoping that the 360 version isn't gimped and Square is trying to hide it. Hopefully I'm reading too much into it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2010, 02:28:19 AM »

the 360 version is the same. wtf are you expecting is so different that makes you scared?
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2010, 02:42:19 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 17, 2010, 02:28:19 AM

the 360 version is the same. wtf are you expecting is so different that makes you scared?

I think it's a legit concern, because the PS3 was the lead coding platform for a long time.  There are several games where there are noticeable differences between the 360 and PS3 versions.

As far as I know, there are no actual user reports of the 360 version yet.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2010, 06:18:51 AM »

The lack of cities and towns in FFXIII has me very nervous. Without such amenities the epic scale of an RPG is diminished, and the game is stripped to the point where it is basically a dungeon crawl. I don't mind the lack of NPC interaction, as most of their commentary has always been meaningless prattle. But for a game without cities, without many NPCs, I can't understand how the developers could have possibly created an RPG with such a diluted story and cast of characters, if reviews are to be believed. The idea of a tightly written, linear story following a small group of characters across various battlefields holds a great deal of potential. Hopefully some of these reviews are simply sour grapes because Final Fantasy once again recreated itself, and they made the mistake of reviewing it against what they wanted it to be, instead of what it actually is.

I do find the developers comments about creating cities being simply too expensive is an absolute cop out, especially for a budget busting franchise like Final Fantasy. Do the creators of Enchanted Arms, Lost Odyssey and a host of other RPGs know something these guys do not?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2010, 07:28:10 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 17, 2010, 06:18:51 AM

The lack of cities and towns in FFXIII has me very nervous. Without such amenities the epic scale of an RPG is diminished, and the game is stripped to the point where it is basically a dungeon crawl. I don't mind the lack of NPC interaction, as most of their commentary has always been meaningless prattle. But for a game without cities, without many NPCs, I can't understand how the developers could have possibly created an RPG with such a diluted story and cast of characters, if reviews are to be believed. The idea of a tightly written, linear story following a small group of characters across various battlefields holds a great deal of potential. Hopefully some of these reviews are simply sour grapes because Final Fantasy once again recreated itself, and they made the mistake of reviewing it against what they wanted it to be, instead of what it actually is.

I do find the developers comments about creating cities being simply too expensive is an absolute cop out, especially for a budget busting franchise like Final Fantasy. Do the creators of Enchanted Arms, Lost Odyssey and a host of other RPGs know something these guys do not?

There are cities, it's just that instead of a dozen cities there's two main cities.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2010, 01:23:09 PM »

Not to defend Square because I do think the lack of cities is a huge cop out, but I thought Lost Odyssey's cities were some of the most uninspiring locations in the game.  That game oscillated widely between looking amazing and looking like a high res PS2 title and I felt the cities often felt lilke the latter. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2010, 02:17:29 PM »

I'm not scared, my worry is that the game was developed for the PS3 and then ported to the 360 (In the west at least). Square has promised a dual release and now that it's crunch time I'm worried that they haven't given themselves enough time to properly port the game to the 360 without making compromises to the game. Again I have absolutely no proof to support this. It's just a worry. Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that if the 360 version isn't on the level with the PS3 version then I hope they hold it off to make it right.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2010, 02:56:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 17, 2010, 01:23:09 PM

Not to defend Square because I do think the lack of cities is a huge cop out, but I thought Lost Odyssey's cities were some of the most uninspiring locations in the game.  That game oscillated widely between looking amazing and looking like a high res PS2 title and I felt the cities often felt lilke the latter. 

No argument there, and since I'm currently playing Lost Odyssey the architecture is fresh in my mind.  smile  Now that I've been corrected and informed that there are apparently two cities in the game, I'm having a more difficult time with some of the reviewers' negative criticisms. If the game is very linear, perhaps the player isn't allowed to visit these hubs often? I guess I'll know soon enough. Still one of my most highly anticipated games of the year.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »

Final Fantasy games have always been very linear.  It's surprising that the new one is also linear?

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 17, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »

the whole 'no hubs/towns' thing is really no big deal for me - a number of my favorite srpgs don't have them, & still manage to work in every other way (story/characters/gameplay). so yeah, for a jrpg, it's a departure from 'the norm', likely means there'll be no mini-games (cards, chocobo racing), & will be faulted for this (beyond the demo, i'm in blackout mode), but as long as the other stuff i mentioned is there, i'm more than willing to give it a shot smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2010, 03:54:44 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 17, 2010, 03:49:55 PM

the whole 'no hubs/towns' thing is really no big deal for me - a number of my favorite srpgs don't have them, & still manage to work in every other way (story/characters/gameplay). so yeah, for a jrpg, it's a departure from 'the norm', likely means there'll be no mini-games (cards, chocobo racing), & will be faulted for this (beyond the demo, i'm in blackout mode), but as long as the other stuff i mentioned is there, i'm more than willing to give it a shot smile ...

I usually find towns to be the most tedious and boring part of any RPG, so if the game works without them I certainly wont miss them.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2010, 04:11:45 PM »

Yeah, I've never really understood the obsession with the minigames in JRPGs.  If I wanted to play a snowboarding game, I'd be playing SSX, not Final Fantasy VII.  The fewer minigames, the better.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 17, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »

No fishing?  That could be a deal-breaker for me!  Lol, I really did love the fishing in FFXI, not so much in other games.  But there had better be at least a brief nod to synthing/ crafting/ smithing, or, or...well, actually there is no "or" - unless GT completely trashes this game, I will be getting it.   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 17, 2010, 04:11:45 PM

Yeah, I've never really understood the obsession with the minigames in JRPGs.  If I wanted to play a snowboarding game, I'd be playing SSX, not Final Fantasy VII.  The fewer minigames, the better.

+100 billion.  I'm all for eliminating the extra 'stuff' and focusing on a more robust combat experience.

I'm reserving judgment on the lack of towns until I see how it's implemented.  Many RPG's seem to force in towns to meet some sort of genre standard (i.e. the snow town, the desert oasis, the jungle town, etc.), and I'd be OK with not having to wander around talking to inane NPC's and doing a million fetch quests if it leads to a tighter story.   Lost Odyssey has already been brought up, but I'd echo the opinion that the towns and hubs in that game caused everything to damn near grind to a halt. 

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 17, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 17, 2010, 05:11:48 PM

Quote from: Chaz on February 17, 2010, 04:11:45 PM

+100 billion.  I'm all for eliminating the extra 'stuff' and focusing on a more robust combat experience.

I'm reserving judgment on the lack of towns until I see how it's implemented.  Many RPG's seem to force in towns to meet some sort of genre standard (i.e. the snow town, the desert oasis, the jungle town, etc.), and I'd be OK with not having to wander around talking to inane NPC's and doing a million fetch quests if it leads to a tighter story.   Lost Odyssey has already been brought up, but I'd echo the opinion that the towns and hubs in that game caused everything to damn near grind to a halt. 

Exactly. I would rather have a few larger, much better designed towns than the standard list of cookie-cutter towns in typical JRPGs.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 17, 2010, 06:25:57 PM »

i understand the Snowboarding or the Skipping game(FF9) etc....but having the playing field just long corridors,and not having towns,no NPCs to talk to...that's definitely killed a piece of the FF franchise for me..and also what made JRPGs fun for me also

the story ground to a hault,yes,but they were optional most times,and they were a welcome breather when you had just battled some crazy big assed mini boss ...this is prolly why its 30-35 hrs long and not 50+ as usual

i am still in,but for the first time since FF7 i am in two minds whether to pick this up on day one(especially with BFBC2 the same week)

Myto-i think FF11 was the only FF game to have Fishing

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 17, 2010, 02:15:43 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 17, 2010, 12:46:04 AM

Yeah I started to wonder about this when I read that article the other day. Why would time related factors have allowed them to review the PS3 version and not the 360? Magazines usually review all versions at once, it makes me think that Square didn't give them the 360 version at press time or they gave it to them much later. Either way it makes me worry. I guess I'm just hoping that the 360 version isn't gimped and Square is trying to hide it. Hopefully I'm reading too much into it.

Personally, I think they reviewed the Japanese PS3 version. Think of it this way - magazines usually have a 2 month lead time. There's no way that they have a finished US version of said game for a review now.

That's my thought on this.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 17, 2010, 08:13:45 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 17, 2010, 03:49:55 PM

I love exploring towns, but I could definitely do without rampant NPC babbling. The very idea of walking up to every single person in a town is absolutely inane when you stop to think about it. In my opinion 90% of NPCs should simply be "traffic" to add to a town's mood. The other 10% should actually approach you, or your characters should be directed to them via the ongoing plot or side plots.

One point I did like about Magna Carta 2 was that the NPC conversations appeared on the screen as you approached them, and their various stories would change over time. Walk past a couple NPCs the first time and it will be a man and woman describing how sad they were that the man is going off to war. Return to town later and the woman was chastising the man for being a coward when he fled the war. Pass the female NPC a third time and you overhear her weeping to another woman about how she humiliate her husband, and he returned to the front lines only to be killed. I thought these types of conversations in Magna carta 2 were fairly interesting, although they didn't take it for enough or include the idea among enough NPCs.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 17, 2010, 08:25:59 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 17, 2010, 08:13:45 PM

I love exploring towns, but I could definitely do without rampant NPC babbling. The very idea of walking up to every single person in a town is absolutely inane when you stop to think about it. In my opinion 90% of NPCs should simply be "traffic" to add to a town's mood. The other 10% should actually approach you, or your characters should be directed to them via the ongoing plot or side plots.

one thing i really liked about ffix was the amount of weird/funny stuff the npcs come out with - made checking them all out pretty entertaining smile . the other games in the series all have a bit of it, but, for me, ix had enough of it to actually make it enjoyable...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 17, 2010, 08:35:01 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 17, 2010, 02:17:29 PM

I'm not scared, my worry is that the game was developed for the PS3 and then ported to the 360 (In the west at least). Square has promised a dual release and now that it's crunch time I'm worried that they haven't given themselves enough time to properly port the game to the 360 without making compromises to the game. Again I have absolutely no proof to support this. It's just a worry. Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that if the 360 version isn't on the level with the PS3 version then I hope they hold it off to make it right.

you do realize the game is finished, right? they've been making the 360 along side the ps3 version for years. they do make games before they are announced.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 17, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »

You guys really going to miss selecting a town member and seeing: "..."?  slywink

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 17, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 17, 2010, 07:57:19 PM

Personally, I think they reviewed the Japanese PS3 version. Think of it this way - magazines usually have a 2 month lead time. There's no way that they have a finished US version of said game for a review now.

That's my thought on this.

They specifically cited good voice acting as a positive for the game and I doubt they would have done that if it wasn't the US version. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2010, 09:44:38 AM »

Some interesting information/clarification I hadn't read before (from a post at NeoGAF) -

Linearity? It's pretty bad, for 2/3 of the game at least. You can't go back to older areas and often times you have a straight line. But then things start to get more interesting in chapter 6 and chapter 4 was pretty varied too. If you can't handle it then it will turn you off. I personally still enjoyed and loved what I've played of the game despite wanting some more freedom. As for the game itself, it's not really different from others FF games, it's just making certain RPG elements streamlined. Like there not being shops you can go to but rather have them on a save point. There are no towns to speak of in a traditional sense, you have people and towns but because of the story you will fight there as well. And you don't go to NPCs and speak with them by pressing the x button but just when you're around them they say something. These kind of changes give some fans the feeling that it's not like the FF games or RPGs for that matter.

If you try to clear the main story only it can take you between 40-60 hours depending on how you play. After you finish the game, you can continue with your save. It is said that new missions/areas open up and some cutscenes will be revealed to flash out more of the characters on side missions (=not sure exactly how this works). It has 60+ extra missions that resemble FFXII.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 18, 2010, 09:44:38 AM

Like there not being shops you can go to but rather have them on a save point. There are no towns to speak of in a traditional sense, you have people and towns but because of the story you will fight there as well. And you don't go to NPCs and speak with them by pressing the x button but just when you're around them they say something.

I actually really like those changes.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 03, 2010, 12:49:20 AM »

figured Id bump this up with it coming out next week.  Im in  with my 360.  I havent played a good JRPG in ages  ( I did play Enchanted Arms.. not bad, not great )  After checking out the sites, this game will be great looking if nothing else.  I hope it recaptures some of that old FF magic because the deluge of fantasy MMO rpgs has really seemed to dilute the whole genre.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2010, 05:05:13 PM »

Yup, I'll be snagging this on the 360. Sucks that it's apparently not running as nicely on the 360 as the PS3, but as long as it holds up well enough I'll be happy.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 03, 2010, 05:19:33 PM »

I will cast my dice Friday when I send back my current Gamefly game.  I might get it for the PS3, or the 360 or I might get Yakuza 3, or maybe Risen.  Those are my top 3 and I bet I get one or the other. 

warning

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 03, 2010, 05:33:27 PM »

In for the 360 version.  I don't think I've ever finished a Final Fantasy game until a year or two (or sometimes many years) after its release.  I really want to focus on this one and enjoy it along with everyone else.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »

I don't know how true the rumors are about 360 textures being lower res but I'm leaning towards PS3 version for now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: