http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 02:25:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII Strategy Questions (and Impressions)  (Read 23421 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 26, 2007, 07:25:32 PM »

Quote from: slackerjoe on March 26, 2007, 05:48:55 PM

Finally finished! 

107 hours. 
Party members were 3 @ 63 and 3 @ 59.  36 hunts completed.  I was a bit too overpowered for the final fights, but it was still an incredible finish, so I didn't mind at all.

What a fantastic game experience this was from beginning to end.  Story, music, battle system, rpg elements - all top notch.  I can't believe a game held my attention for this long, but it did all the way through.

Well done, Square Enix.  Well done.

congratulations

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 27, 2007, 03:01:40 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 26, 2007, 01:42:03 PM

Quote from: Gratch on March 26, 2007, 01:33:26 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 25, 2007, 08:28:04 PM

and also that rabbit in the jungles was a pain,running around everywhere...

I hated that hunt!  Took me about 10 tries before I figured out to cast Berzerk on him so he'd keep attacking.

Great impressions Hrothgar, and I agree on all your points.  smile

I figured that out in 20 seconds thanks to the strategy guide  icon_biggrin, however I still hated the hunt because I got monumentally unlucky and it took..oh, 15 tries of berserk before it actually worked!! What a pain.

See, I didn't have that much troulbe with him. Where he spawns it's actually easy to heard him if you turn off gambits on your main character and keep moving him/her around in front of the bunny so he keeps going back into a corner. Once he hit about 1/3 of his life I fired off every Quickening I had at him which wound up being a 9-hit chain of mostly level 3 Quickenings. So long, Vorpal Bunny. icon_biggrin

I haven't played this game in something like three weeks so I have no idea where I was when I left off. Combine an insane work schedule with the return of Kratos and I may not get to it again until mid-April.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 27, 2007, 03:13:19 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 27, 2007, 03:01:40 PM

Quote from: Calvin on March 26, 2007, 01:42:03 PM

Quote from: Gratch on March 26, 2007, 01:33:26 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 25, 2007, 08:28:04 PM

and also that rabbit in the jungles was a pain,running around everywhere...

I hated that hunt!  Took me about 10 tries before I figured out to cast Berzerk on him so he'd keep attacking.

Great impressions Hrothgar, and I agree on all your points.  smile

I figured that out in 20 seconds thanks to the strategy guide  icon_biggrin, however I still hated the hunt because I got monumentally unlucky and it took..oh, 15 tries of berserk before it actually worked!! What a pain.

See, I didn't have that much troulbe with him. Where he spawns it's actually easy to heard him if you turn off gambits on your main character and keep moving him/her around in front of the bunny so he keeps going back into a corner. Once he hit about 1/3 of his life I fired off every Quickening I had at him which wound up being a 9-hit chain of mostly level 3 Quickenings. So long, Vorpal Bunny. icon_biggrin

I haven't played this game in something like three weeks so I have no idea where I was when I left off. Combine an insane work schedule with the return of Kratos and I may not get to it again until mid-April.

Blarg, this is a mistake sir. FFXII is so awesome, and the end just keeps getting better!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 27, 2007, 04:12:40 PM »

But in FFXII you can't throw a monster to the ground, plant your foot in his back, then twist his entire upper body until his bones shatter, sir. Ergo, Kratos ftw. icon_twisted

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 27, 2007, 06:31:33 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 27, 2007, 04:12:40 PM

But in FFXII you can't throw a monster to the ground, plant your foot in his back, then twist his entire upper body until his bones shatter, sir. Ergo, Kratos ftw. icon_twisted

See, I guess the fact that that style of game just really doesn't work for me (as I found out with GoW2), plus with where I am in my gaming life right now-I so much greatly prefer the swashbuckling action of FF12 to the Kratos "I AM RAGE" type games. The action is just as exciting to me smile Anyways, I kind of want to go back and do more hunts already. Is that weird?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 27, 2007, 08:40:33 PM »

Not at all. When I last played I wanted to go and knock out a slew of hunts too. I wound up going through around four or five of them, but the thing I really want to do is the Rare Game Hunting. I've joined that club and knocked out the first one but otherwise haven't had time to really explore as I want to.

Of course, working 20 hours a day for almost two weeks with a few 26 hour days thrown in almost right on top of one another means anything that lets me rage out and absolutely destroy my foes gets points in my book. I so wish I had a quality TV in my office to hook my PS2 up to. icon_twisted

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 27, 2007, 09:21:35 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 27, 2007, 08:40:33 PM

Not at all. When I last played I wanted to go and knock out a slew of hunts too. I wound up going through around four or five of them, but the thing I really want to do is the Rare Game Hunting. I've joined that club and knocked out the first one but otherwise haven't had time to really explore as I want to.

Of course, working 20 hours a day for almost two weeks with a few 26 hour days thrown in almost right on top of one another means anything that lets me rage out and absolutely destroy my foes gets points in my book. I so wish I had a quality TV in my office to hook my PS2 up to. icon_twisted

Dude, I totally want to do the rare hunt club, not only for the quest line but also to get some of the ingredients I need to sell to the marketplace to unlock other ingredients I need to then buy some of the super-weapons. God, as soon as this project ends one of my rewards is going back to FF12 for a weekend and not feeling guilty about abandoning my new games and just enjoying a long play session of sidequesting!!

BTW-26 hour days? Did you move to Bajor? WTF? I thought my 15 hour days were bad  icon_wink
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 27, 2007, 09:43:57 PM »

Uh, yeah. 15 hour days are what I've been hitting when I'm lucky in the past two weeks. In theory, the insanity should slow down through the rest of the week though I'm remaining skeptical until I can go to sleep three nights in a row before 11 p.m.

Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 28, 2007, 12:49:34 AM »

Finally, after four months this game is finished.  I clocked in at about 67 hours and all my party members were at level 47.  The final battles were a breeze, as I didn't even have to switch party members or fire off any quickenings.  The ending was great, and I'm really looking forward to Revenant Wings on the DS. 

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 28, 2007, 02:15:38 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 27, 2007, 09:43:57 PM

Uh, yeah. 15 hour days are what I've been hitting when I'm lucky in the past two weeks. In theory, the insanity should slow down through the rest of the week though I'm remaining skeptical until I can go to sleep three nights in a row before 11 p.m.

Um thats insane dude, good luck to you!! (Btw, the day caps at 24 hours-snap!?)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 28, 2007, 02:16:44 AM »

Quote from: Temjin on March 28, 2007, 12:49:34 AM

Finally, after four months this game is finished.  I clocked in at about 67 hours and all my party members were at level 47.  The final battles were a breeze, as I didn't even have to switch party members or fire off any quickenings.  The ending was great, and I'm really looking forward to Revenant Wings on the DS. 

Grats dude!! Surprised and impressed it was that easy for you at 47-it wasn't really hard for me at 53, but it wasn't that easy-and I used quickenings several times.
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 28, 2007, 03:03:10 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 28, 2007, 02:16:44 AM

Grats dude!! Surprised and impressed it was that easy for you at 47-it wasn't really hard for me at 53, but it wasn't that easy-and I used quickenings several times.

I was surprised as well, as I didn't even have any of the ultimate weapons, just stuff from the shops.  I only used 4 ethers, 2 hi-ethers, and 1 phoenix down during the entire fight.  Bubble belts,  and gambits with protectaga, shellaga, haste, and bravery seemed to be a deadly combo.       

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 28, 2007, 05:46:22 AM »

holy shitballs i am level 56,and in the main quest i have just had to go back to the jungle...i think i have quite a bit to go yet,the way you guys talk,it sounds as though i am gonna kick heaven and hell out of the bad guys.....i saw that it is i think 4 boss battles in a row at the end,and that worried me some....but i feel better hearing how you easily defeated them
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 05:47:55 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 28, 2007, 11:59:21 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 28, 2007, 05:46:22 AM

holy shitballs i am level 56,and in the main quest i have just had to go back to the jungle...i think i have quite a bit to go yet,the way you guys talk,it sounds as though i am gonna kick heaven and hell out of the bad guys.....i saw that it is i think 4 boss battles in a row at the end,and that worried me some....but i feel better hearing how you easily defeated them

You are not going to have any issues with the endgame bro, just enjoy it from here on out smile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 28, 2007, 12:07:11 PM »

just joined the rare game clan at the beach house,and killed the big tortoise...he says there is 30 rare game out there(i have about 7 rarae game listed in my clan primer),so i know that i still have a lot to do that i want to get done before the final stretch,hopefully i can get most of it all done

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2007, 12:11:13 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 28, 2007, 12:07:11 PM

just joined the rare game clan at the beach house,and killed the big tortoise...he says there is 30 rare game out there(i have about 7 rarae game listed in my clan primer),so i know that i still have a lot to do that i want to get done before the final stretch,hopefully i can get most of it all done

Man by the time you get all that done you will have so much great rare loot and will level up a bunch. So jealous you have time enough to do it all right now smile How many ultimate weapons are you trying to get.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2007, 12:25:33 PM »

ahh,so you get ultimate weapons...nice

and as for time,i am stuck for it,trying to find time playing this and the new oblivion download...but i am off work for about 6 days this easter(starting a week tomorrow,yup,easter is here..nearly)so hopefully i can get some serious downtime on it...and i will be on it this weekend as well.....i have no life anyway,so i am cool with it icon_lol

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2007, 08:31:17 PM »

i just joined the rare hunt club too - do i get any kind of credit for rare monsters ive already killed?  or do i have to find and kill time all over again? frown
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 29, 2007, 05:31:34 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on March 28, 2007, 08:31:17 PM

i just joined the rare hunt club too - do i get any kind of credit for rare monsters ive already killed?  or do i have to find and kill time all over again? frown

well they didnt mention anything about my 7 i had already killed,and i talked to all 4(the main guy and the 3 brothers) a few times just incase...i ,if i get the time will try and go for them again

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 29, 2007, 03:06:55 PM »

interesting thing happened to me today,in FF...i was wandering around salikawood(i have to get to the jungle,but i am in no hurry)..and i wondered into the Nebreus deadlands,which was a lot tougher than most places,so i ventured in and explored,making some decent XP..and eventually ended up in the Nalbina fortress,from the beginning of the game...
Spoiler for Hiden:
where vaans brother bought it
now over run with goblins and all sorts..again tougher,but i adventured in,and found a magically sealed door on each floor,which i cant get into any...but i dont think it appears again in the main story walkthru,so i will have to investigate and look it up,see what i am missing...i reckon it is prolly a place for hidden espers

also,on one floor in one corner i fought some kind of horse,that was similar to the fire type horse boss at the beginning of the game in the sewers(if you remember)..only this one was a lot tougher and had 99,999 health...didnt cause any major problems though

anyway,made my way out the other side of the map and saved,gonna get on with the story for a bit now

all my party are now level 58

76hrs in(i dont think it is gonna be hard for me to break 100)

EDIT: damn i have just found out where it comes into play...i missed a room in the fortress that has like 16 treasure urns,one of them contains the zodiac spear,the most powerful weapon in the game(and yes...i have been avoiding the earlier treasure urns throughout the game so i would be able to pick this up)..so its back we go
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 03:34:45 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 29, 2007, 03:37:44 PM »

Be warned that once you get the Zodiac spear for all intents and purposes almost all the challenge of the game is gone, especially at your level. It is insanely overpowered and will reduce almost all fights into a few hits.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 29, 2007, 04:05:21 PM »

hmm

good point,i may save the weapon for hunts and espers

thanks calvin icon_biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 29, 2007, 06:35:57 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 29, 2007, 04:05:21 PM

hmm

good point,i may save the weapon for hunts and espers

thanks calvin icon_biggrin

Who's looking out boy!?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 01, 2007, 04:28:10 PM »

okay this weekend has been busy for console action
yesterday i finished the shivering isles expansion for oblivion,while today,i have been doing a lot on final fantasy 12

got quite far now,and i am only a stones throw from the end,but i have a few more things i wanna do before i set off for the final

1)i have 27 hunts to my name,wanna get 30 and call it quits,i think thats enough...i did try to get ancient man of mystery(i wanted austin powers,but thats international man of mystery,lol)...did the first fight okay,but the second fight,as well as being a pain to get to,was quite sodding hard...and i couldnt kill him(well,his bleeding dog anyway)

2)wanna check out the rare hunt guys at phon coast,i feel that this side quest has actually come too late in the game,i think it would of suited the game if this was maybe near the middle or even nearer to the start

3)i wanna fill that license board...need about 1000 points,i have this add on that gives me double LP so hopefully that wont take long

4)i wanna do that side quest where you travel on all the airships and talk to ann's sisters...i dont know why i wanna do this

anyway,back to the story,that lighthouse was quite a pain,cant say i enjoyed it that much(i actually looked forward to the many boss battles in there)

all my weapons hit for 101attack at the moment,taking about 3-4k of a typical enemy(the zodiac spear,the toughest in the game is 150 for attack..that takes about 5k usually)...on one of the hunts i did i got 'save the queen' sword,which brought back memories of final fantasy 9

so all my party are level 63 right now,and i have 84 hrs on the clock,i was thinking about that yesterday...oblivion i have 96hrs...but i have had that game since last April,FF12 i have had since 23rd february,LOL

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 02, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »

if you havent yet finished final fantasy 12,dont read below,there maybe some spoilers

so i have finally completed final fantasy 12...i say completed,but i only got 28 hunts,and didnt do as many side quests as i would of liked...and yes,i still needed a few hundred license points to fill the board,but this morning i looked at the pile of games i have waiting for me to get into,that have all been waiting patiently,as soon as FF12 came along they all got pushed to one side...so,impressions

this game is very different for me than other final fantasy games,maybe its the random battles that no longer happen or the fact that,maybe its because there is no card game or blitzball,taken over now by the hunt,which i thought was pretty cool(usually the sub games are dire IMO in the final fantasy games...blitzball for one was terrible)....but mainly i think its because of the gambits,i love these,but they do take a lot out of the gameplay...a lot of times whenever a boss came along,that was a sign for me to put the controller down and have a few gulps of some diet coke...which i usually wait for a cut scene to come my way..but i suppose if it was up to me,i would definelty like to see them again in final fantasy 13

as i have said before,the 'rare'hunt i feel came to late in the game,i wasnt that interested in it when i knew that i already had nearly a dozen or so rare game,and giving the trophies away to the 3 brothers,didnt want me to go and find the rare hunts again

the story-as much as i liked the story i felt as though there was something missing,again as said,sephiroth slicing your loved one in two(sorry to be so graphic,but come on....aeries is dead,get over it!!,LOL),but it still very well for the betrayal part,and the family part as well,it sometimes,expecially near the end,got very close to feeling like star wars,which is no bad thing.....while star wars was again going against the mighty empire,it never felt boring with the details,but the details of this story did get me thinking......'huh?'...but it all rounds off more or less nicely and i am satisfied with how well i 'got' it all in the end
Spoiler for Hiden:
i am not sure how i am about there not being any luuurve in the story,i thought maybe Penelo and Larsa would get it on,hell i thought maybe there was gonna be some bunny lovin'with Fran and Balthier...or even Vaan and Ashe,but i guess Vaan looks to much like Ashes last dead hubby...anyway,so no lovey poos in the story.....theres something else that isnt like recent final fantasies...no biggie i suppose

characters-the characters in final fantasy 12 are IMO,good but dont hold anything against the heroes and princesses of the past.....Basche was my favourite,he looked cool,and i have been thinking about giving myself a scar like his just so i could look as cool as him.....but i remember thinking that with final fantasy 8 and Squalls facial scar...damn i have to grow up!!!

Balthier was also good,i liked how he thought he was the leading man all the time,and he was quite interesting,especially with Dr Cid

Ashe and Penelo were pretty bland,as was Vaan,i really thought that Vaan being the real leading man would of been more interesting....he was no puppet like Zidane,or didnt have any disturbing mixed up past like Cloud...even Tidus was more interesting than this guy,Fran on the other hand,had the past,talked wierd and looked great whenever she turned her back on the camera(i wonder just how practical her clothing really was),it would of been nice to know how her and Balthier's paths had met,i may of missed that if it was said

monsters-the monsters were great and varied,i did miss the usual gang from the final fantasy games,but at least they had malboro there,and the Espers just werent used at all,the quickenings were used at earlier bosses,and made mince meat out of them,but soon enough they became obsilite towards the end

gameplay-for me this final fantasy has been the easiest for a while,not that that is bad,it feels as though they have catered for those who have never played a FF before,it easy to get into,the fighting is straight forward and even the camera is spot on,at least i didnt have any problems with the camera like other FF games or even the Kingdom Hearts series

all my characters were exactly the same,i started to level a lot early in the game and i took this oppertunity to have a lot of loot to sell,so that i could buy all 6 most powerful weapons at the time and just kept on upgrading when the time came,it was usually the axes or hammers i were using all the time...but when i came to a flying enemy then i had bows in reserve and would just switch,and i kept changing parties every time one levelled and worked on the other party

here are what i had my gambits set out to,more or less all characters

1-Ally:any                             Esuna
2-Ally:any                             Blindna
3-Ally:any                             Stona
4-Self:                                 Regen
5-Ally:any                             Raise
6-Ally:status=slow                 Haste
7-Ally:HP<40%                     Curaga
8-Self:                                 Haste
9-Foe:Party leaders target      Attack
10-Foe:nearest visible            Attack
11-Self:                               Libra<<<<party leaders only,in my case Vaan and Blathier

i would occasionally have to take one or two off,like at the end boss when all he did was cast dispel on my entire party,so all my party was doing was constantly casting their haste and regen while the boss was constantly casting dispel...i had to take it off just so i could get a shot in,for the rest of the game though this worked great for me,i put Libra down there because of it not really being needed during a fight...and when the upgrade came along,i replaced it with the upgrade...eg,raise changed to arise nearer to the end

anyway,finally i would like to say that i have enjoyed the game,i would give it a mid to high 90s mark...86hrs i had on the clock with all my characters at level 64

and now final fantasy 12 can join,final fantasy 7,final fantasy 9 and kingdom hearts 1 for square games i have managed to finish(i did get to the end boss for final fantasy 1,but he was rock hard to beat)

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 01:16:25 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 02, 2007, 01:23:47 PM »

Ashe and Penelo were pretty bland,as was Vaan,i really thought that Vaan being the real leading man would of been more interesting...

I kind of mentioned it in my impressions but Square kind of botched the marketing here.  Vaan really isn't the leading man.  Overall it's more of an ensemble but if I had to single out anyone as being the leading man it would indeed be Balthier and the overall lead character is really Ashe.

One loose end that's been bugging me- there was never any sort of resolution with those bounty hunters that were after Balthier early in the game. 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 11, 2007, 06:56:26 PM »

Hour 75.3 right now and I'm farming Deathbringers at the place where they spawn. As such, I'm also taking my characters up several levels as well. Basch is the highest at 51 with Balthier at 48 and everyone else mid 40s save Vaan and Ashe who both are 41. I'm to the point where I need to go deep into the Feywood and beyond. Once I complete that section I may head into the Necrohol which absolutely kicked my tail when I first tried it. Also, I've knocked out a few hunts (notably Trickster) and sidequests (like the Barheim Sidequest) and when I'm satisfied with my characters I'll knock out Bloodwing as well. Still having fun with this even though I haven't played it in three weeks (thank you for the break, God of War 2).

Maybe by hour 100 I'll have actually finished the game. smile In the meantime, I'm debating going after the optional Espers as well since I want to absolutely get as much out of this game as I can. Hell, I've only been playing it since January so what is another 30 hours? icon_lol

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 11, 2007, 07:31:26 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 11, 2007, 06:56:26 PM

Hour 75.3 right now and I'm farming Deathbringers at the place where they spawn. As such, I'm also taking my characters up several levels as well. Basch is the highest at 51 with Balthier at 48 and everyone else mid 40s save Vaan and Ashe who both are 41. I'm to the point where I need to go deep into the Feywood and beyond. Once I complete that section I may head into the Necrohol which absolutely kicked my tail when I first tried it. Also, I've knocked out a few hunts (notably Trickster) and sidequests (like the Barheim Sidequest) and when I'm satisfied with my characters I'll knock out Bloodwing as well. Still having fun with this even though I haven't played it in three weeks (thank you for the break, God of War 2).

Maybe by hour 100 I'll have actually finished the game. smile In the meantime, I'm debating going after the optional Espers as well since I want to absolutely get as much out of this game as I can. Hell, I've only been playing it since January so what is another 30 hours? icon_lol

Hey WBS, glad you are enjoying it. I found out a few days ago that I couldn't get my saves back off my PS3 that im selling, so you can imagine my disappointment. Kathode is going to give me one of his saves near the end so I can get my party near the way I had it and eventually go back and do all the optionals. Just one note about the Deathbringers-they are really powerful. Farming them to equip on more than two guys or so might make your party quite overpowered. Just something to consider smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2007, 09:30:20 PM »

"Overall it's more of an ensemble but if I had to single out anyone as being the leading man it would indeed be Balthier and the overall lead character is really Ashe."
That's another of the many throwbacks to FF6, with the player playing as Locke, but the main character being Terra.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 11, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 11, 2007, 07:31:26 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 11, 2007, 06:56:26 PM

Hey WBS, glad you are enjoying it. I found out a few days ago that I couldn't get my saves back off my PS3 that im selling, so you can imagine my disappointment. Kathode is going to give me one of his saves near the end so I can get my party near the way I had it and eventually go back and do all the optionals. Just one note about the Deathbringers-they are really powerful. Farming them to equip on more than two guys or so might make your party quite overpowered. Just something to consider smile

What can I say? I don't like it when I think I'm powerful and along comes some group of nothings in the Necrohol and wipes the floor with my ass. I take things like that sorta personal. icon_wink

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 11, 2007, 09:39:20 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on April 11, 2007, 09:30:20 PM

"Overall it's more of an ensemble but if I had to single out anyone as being the leading man it would indeed be Balthier and the overall lead character is really Ashe."
That's another of the many throwbacks to FF6, with the player playing as Locke, but the main character being Terra.

I would change the order around and agree with you two.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 12, 2007, 02:09:41 AM »

Stumbled onto another sidequest tonight with the airships, which is where the Syphon spell is by the way. Holy mother of God this damn huge game just keeps getting bigger. I could easily see myself surpassing the 100 hour mark without getting to the rest of the story. Scratch that - I could burn through the next section and then focus on hunts and whatnot. On the plus side, FFXII is keeping me from buying tons of other games so it's a low-cost alternative to gaming. Just buy this one and watch the next three months of your life vanish. retard

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 16, 2007, 01:54:11 AM »

Okay, whoever thought up and implemented Gilgamesh should be taken out into the street and shot. Basch is around 61 or 62 I forget. Balthier is 58. Everyone else is right around 50 or 51. I have Deathbringers on two characters, Save the Queen on Basch, Reddas as a "guest." The second round of Gilgamesh results in a massive ass-beating. Too bad it was mine. I'm cycling through characters and throwing out cure spells like they were going out of style. I'm hammering away on this clod and finally I get down to around the last 1/8 of his health. why not Quicken him, you ask? Because for whatever fucking reason since I hit a certain point in the game, FFXII is being a dick to me with regards to Quickenings. I hit 12 hits on one boss one time and pwned him hard. After that, I'm lucky to land 4 hits with no finishing. So I'm hammering away and he kills one character, I resurrect them just to have a second one drop. So I'm throwing Phoenix Downs and casting Arise and that's it. I swear this portion ALONE took me 10 minutes of concentrated focus.

Lord have mercy that sucked.

On to the next hunt....

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 19, 2007, 06:58:35 PM »

Finally decided to end it all today at lunch and blow through the final dungeon and end boss. Yesterday I took down Deathgaze and the Wild Marlboro then decided I'd had enough. The remaining hunts were the uber-elite ones and about five optional Espers were left over. I called it a day instead of go through them because they just weren't worth it in my mind. But man was that an ending worth playing for. I'm going to focus now on burning through some hold-over shorter games in my backlog before jumping into another lengthy RPG (Twilight Princess I'm looking at you). At 100 hours even, there's no way I didn't get my money's worth out of this beast but the odds of me replaying it again EVER are pretty slim. I just can't do this kind of game anymore. slywink

/looks at FFXIII warily

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 19, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 19, 2007, 06:58:35 PM

Finally decided to end it all today at lunch and blow through the final dungeon and end boss. Yesterday I took down Deathgaze and the Wild Marlboro then decided I'd had enough. The remaining hunts were the uber-elite ones and about five optional Espers were left over. I called it a day instead of go through them because they just weren't worth it in my mind. But man was that an ending worth playing for. I'm going to focus now on burning through some hold-over shorter games in my backlog before jumping into another lengthy RPG (Twilight Princess I'm looking at you). At 100 hours even, there's no way I didn't get my money's worth out of this beast but the odds of me replaying it again EVER are pretty slim. I just can't do this kind of game anymore. slywink

/looks at FFXIII warily

Grats man!! How awesome a game and an ending was that eh? I know it seems like we don't have time for these games anymore, and that's why I waited so long to start it and how I felt at the end when I wasn't playing anything else to finish it, but damn they are so completely worth it when you get sucked in and I know I will never give up playing games this awesome and touching no matter how long. And you know you are going to go back to it, right around after I mention that I am  icon_wink
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 19, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »

I actually had a number of problems with the design of the end game, namely that certain spells weren't available until pretty much the final dungeon (namely Hastega and Holy) and those spells would have made a hell of a difference earlier in the game. Also, for those who think I was overleveled and/or overpowered I would refer you to the Diabolos and Deathgaze hunts. Deathgaze in particular doesn't give a crap about what sort of artillery you're packing because he'll just kick your ass and be done with it. Megalixers, X-Potions, and Hi-Ethers are the name of the game there. Diabolos though... sumbitch'll whack you with his spear four times in a row and you're DOA.

That's with you having north of 8,000 HP, btw.

I finished the game with Basch at 63, Balthier at 62, and most everyone else between 50 and 55. The final boss was tricky but manageable. Now I will say that he was nowhere near as tough as the upper-level hunts which again strikes me as a bizarre decision. Oh, and the foot race game at the end? Totally broken from my point of view. You have to hit X and O quickly to run but I couldn't control what direction Vaan ran in so he'd be running alongside a wall while I pounded on those two buttons. Since this is at the ass end of the game and is something you have to seek out, it's little wonder no one caught this or made mention of it.

But gripes aside, I loved the game. The cast of characters was the best I've seen and certainly the most fun to hang with. The C3PO/R2D2 comparison for Vaan/Penelo was apt, Fran was scorching hot (bunny ears and all), and Balthier is my personal hero. By turns cavalier, charming and badass, he was the ultimate scoundrel right up there with Han Solo. I felt that Ashe was sort of a blank though, but Basche had a great story. Oh, and for those who think the subplot with the bounty hunters was dropped? Not so much if you play through the hunts. icon_wink

Definitely an "A" game and that ending kicked nine kinds of ass, especially the Balthier/Fran segment.

"You're more of a supporting character."
"Fran.... please."

icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:44:28 PM by whiteboyskim » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 19, 2007, 10:17:54 PM »

Basche was my favorite. Great impressions Mitch, really glad you enjoyed it. Stop making me want to play it more. Please. Grats again! It really is a monumental achievement if you play it the "right" way smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 20, 2007, 04:54:52 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim
Oh, and for those who think the subplot with the bounty hunters was dropped? Not so much if you play through the hunts. icon_wink

Really?  Awesome.  That right there might be enough to get me back in and do some more hunts. 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 20, 2007, 05:09:13 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 20, 2007, 04:54:52 PM

Oh, and for those who think the subplot with the bounty hunters was dropped? Not so much if you play through the hunts. icon_wink

Really?  Awesome.  That right there might be enough to get me back in and do some more hunts. 

You'd be surprised at what other loose end it ties up. icon_wink

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 20, 2007, 05:30:46 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 20, 2007, 04:54:52 PM

Like you needed anything more than me constantly talking about doing it.  icon_wink
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: