http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 04:20:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII Strategy Questions (and Impressions)  (Read 23531 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2007, 05:48:38 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 24, 2007, 04:32:59 PM

i am actually having problems with libra(scan)..i bought libra,and obtained the license...but when i try and use it under techniks(or however you spell the crazy spelt word),i can only 'scan' myself....anyone know what i am doing wrong?

IIRC, Libra is a passive ability that displays monster HP, weaknesses, etc. as you fight. As long as you a) have purchased the license and b) have a Libra item equipped,  I'm pretty sure you don't actively have to "scan" any monsters in order for the info to appear. (Calvin, et al, please correct me if I"m wrong. It's been a few months since I finished.)

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2007, 06:28:11 PM »

when i was battleing i forund it in the battle menu under techniks.....i couldnt find a way to actually 'equip' it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2007, 06:34:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 24, 2007, 06:28:11 PM

when i was battleing i forund it in the battle menu under techniks.....i couldnt find a way to actually 'equip' it

You just cast it once you unlock the license-it does a little animation and then you can see the targeting info of any of your foes (save some bosses)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2007, 06:57:19 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 24, 2007, 06:34:42 PM

You just cast it once you unlock the license-it does a little animation and then you can see the targeting info of any of your foes (save some bosses)

is this during battle?...as i went out to fight a wolf so i could try it,but i could only cast it on myself...and then it showed my stats..which of course are in the bottom right hand side of the screen.....i will mess about some more

and when you say to cast it once,does that mean once every battle?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2007, 08:13:37 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 24, 2007, 06:57:19 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 24, 2007, 06:34:42 PM

is this during battle?...as i went out to fight a wolf so i could try it,but i could only cast it on myself...and then it showed my stats..which of course are in the bottom right hand side of the screen.....i will mess about some more

and when you say to cast it once,does that mean once every battle?

You can cast it either in or out of battle (but NOT in towns/cities/etc) The effect lasts for several minutes-at least 10 or so before it wears off, so you should only need to cast it once in a while. You while see a little green three pronged symbol above your head when you cast it. Simply go to your menu, go to techniks, and cast libra. VOILA! smile You can easily set a gambit "self=libra" and put it last in your active list and it will take care of it for you.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2007, 11:38:16 PM »

nice thanks calvin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2007, 11:54:51 PM »

and the stats for the monster will be on the upper left side of the screen (when its targeted)

usually you just see the name and ???????
with libra youll see hps as a number not just a bar and also weaknesses

it wont work on all monsters though (even some that arent bosses)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2007, 02:40:57 AM »

Good lord God... I'm approaching 50 hours with this game and I'm just about to return to the mountain after picking up something in the shrine (trying to be vagure). I'd guesstimate I'm roughly 3/4 of the way through and I just skimmed an FAQ and found a few different side quests that I still haven't unlocked. Sweet mercy, I'm going to be pulling an all-nighter on this tonight to see just how much more story I can burn through. Also, now that I have a few characters with two to three quickenings a piece I'm hitting a lot harder with them. But after grinding out LP I'm even less a fan of the license board now than when I started. I think this is one of those things that sounds really cool on paper but the execution sucks.

/$.02

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2007, 02:47:03 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 25, 2007, 02:40:57 AM

Good lord God... I'm approaching 50 hours with this game and I'm just about to return to the mountain after picking up something in the shrine (trying to be vagure). I'd guesstimate I'm roughly 3/4 of the way through and I just skimmed an FAQ and found a few different side quests that I still haven't unlocked. Sweet mercy, I'm going to be pulling an all-nighter on this tonight to see just how much more story I can burn through. Also, now that I have a few characters with two to three quickenings a piece I'm hitting a lot harder with them. But after grinding out LP I'm even less a fan of the license board now than when I started. I think this is one of those things that sounds really cool on paper but the execution sucks.

/$.02

Can you give me a spoiler saying where you are-also levels, etc? I am a few hours behind you now (THANKS WORK), but enjoy keeping up with the talk smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2007, 05:59:28 AM »

No need for spoilers on levels. Balthier just crossed level 32 and everyone else is between 30-28 with Ashe still the low man on the totem pole at 25. She is, however, very close to leveling up and after I finish this next bit of story I should be in a far better climate in which to PL her (i.e. creatures are stronger and give off more XP per kill than the ones I'm facing now).

Now as for things I'm looking forward to:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I can't wait to dive into the Rare Monster Hunts because that does sound like fun. I'm enjoying the regular clan hunts too but damn do they range between easy as hell and mind-bogglingly difficult. I hate that several can cheap-shot one-hit your party or a specific member and then you're just fucked. Several of the main hunts are like that and it's just pissing me off. Compare the flan-based monsters who are though by themselves but can inflict all sorts of misery via status ailments to things like the Feral Leopard or whatever it was on the Paramina Rift. Beat his ass down inside of five minutes but each flan fight goes past the 15 minute mark for me. This isn't balancing the game, guys, it's just poor balance all around. I think I'm going to hold off on the main hunts until I'm north of 40 then go back and see if I can't taxadermy the crap out of 'em.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2007, 08:59:59 PM »

QUESTION(again)-i have just entered the mines in the skycity..and i have that little sh....kid with me,i have to have him in my party,so therefor i have to take someone out....lets face it,its bunny ears,will she still earn XP while we do?

balthier...sounds like roger moores 007,LOL

actually a lot of the cast have regional british accents...london,scottish to name 2
EDIT:
Spoiler for Hiden:
lol...and the leader of the resistance is french...thats funny
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:20:34 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2007, 09:42:50 PM »

party members dont earn xp when they arent in your group of three BUT...

you shouldnt have to take one person out - when you have a guest you get them in addition to your regular 3
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2007, 10:09:46 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 25, 2007, 09:42:50 PM

you shouldnt have to take one person out - when you have a guest you get them in addition to your regular 3

well balthier the sky pirate,bunny ears fran and blonde tom cruise with the scar across his face and side of his head are all in my regular party now(as well as me of course)...and now the little spoilt kid is here as the guest

but that sucks that the ones that aren't in your party dont earn XP...but i guess expected

thanks for your reply

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2007, 10:20:48 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 25, 2007, 09:42:50 PM

Inactive party members don't earn XP, but they DO earn LP.  Just FYI...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2007, 03:23:49 AM »

BTW - that little spoiled kid is a badass with the hi-potion heals in combat. You may mock him now, but start getting your ass kicked in a fight and he'll swoop in with a hi-potion when you need it. FYI. slywink

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2007, 04:16:44 AM »

Whoohoo!  Just snagged the Fomalhaut gun from a quest reward and now Balthier is doing 3500+ damage with every hit!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2007, 04:54:24 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 26, 2007, 04:16:44 AM

Whoohoo!  Just snagged the Fomalhaut gun from a quest reward and now Balthier is doing 3500+ damage with every hit!

That gun is absurdly hard to get from what I have read. Massive props to you sir. I am going to do a big status update on my progress tomorrow from work!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2007, 05:45:59 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 26, 2007, 04:54:24 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 26, 2007, 04:16:44 AM

That gun is absurdly hard to get from what I have read. Massive props to you sir. I am going to do a big status update on my progress tomorrow from work!

Haven't checked the loot table to see if it's appearance is actually rare but the battle wasn't too bad once I used Warp to get rid of the horde of rather powerful underlings that surrounded the hunt. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2007, 09:02:16 PM »

Anyone know what the good/significance of Arcana drops is?  I acquired a Canopic Jar for 250k that supposedly allows enemies to "drop Arcana" but I have no idea what that does for me. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2007, 09:07:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 26, 2007, 09:02:16 PM

Anyone know what the good/significance of Arcana drops is?  I acquired a Canopic Jar for 250k that supposedly allows enemies to "drop Arcana" but I have no idea what that does for me. 

Arcana (and arcanite) are drops that you need in order to eventually sell at the bazaar combined with other goods to unlock certian weapons. Specifics beyond that I don't remember right now. And the fact that you have 250k lying around to waste on that makes me so jealous. I by accident bought 99 X potions last night a long way from a save and killed my last 100k reserves, now I have to actually go and goshdamned grind to afford some new spells/techniks. I am not amused.

What level are your guys Kev?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2007, 10:28:06 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 26, 2007, 09:07:26 PM

Arcana (and arcanite) are drops that you need in order to eventually sell at the bazaar combined with other goods to unlock certian weapons. Specifics beyond that I don't remember right now. And the fact that you have 250k lying around to waste on that makes me so jealous. I by accident bought 99 X potions last night a long way from a save and killed my last 100k reserves, now I have to actually go and goshdamned grind to afford some new spells/techniks. I am not amused.

Yeah, I was running around with 350k in Gil thinking "man, what am I going to spend this on" when I got the opportunity to buy a Moribund Urn from the bizarre.  At a cost of 250k I figured it must do something good.

So Arcana should net me some good items then?  Sounds like a good purchase. 

My guys range from Level 44 at the lowest to Level 50 at the highest. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2007, 10:40:20 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 26, 2007, 10:28:06 PM

Yeah, I was running around with 350k in Gil thinking "man, what am I going to spend this on" when I got the opportunity to buy a Moribund Urn from the bizarre.  At a cost of 250k I figured it must do something good.

I wouldn't say by itself it will, but combined with other rare items it will unlock stuff at the bazaar once sold. I am amazed you are almost at 70 hours since we are roughly the same level (you are 3-4 levels higher on average) and I am only 58 hours-actually, maybe that isn't a big difference. Still need to write my update post!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:43:21 PM by Calvin » Logged
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2007, 10:41:05 PM »

Yeah if you check the guide, a lot of the top weapons in each category require you to go to the ends of the earth to find multiples of some super rare items before they show up in the bazaar.  Pain in the butt factor vastly outweighed the worth of the weapon in most cases in my humble estimation smile  I never had the 250k to get that jar anyway.

now I have to actually go and goshdamned grind to afford some new spells/techniks. I am not amused.
Lies.  You love grinding.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2007, 10:47:02 PM »

Quote from: kathode on February 26, 2007, 10:41:05 PM

now I have to actually go and goshdamned grind to afford some new spells/techniks. I am not amused.
Lies.  You love grinding.
yeah thats a valid point. I do.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »

i am in the seasand at the moment going on to 'king.....someones...tomb'...to get the treasure that shows that ashe is a princess

i am level 14,and i heard that it was recommended you should be level 17,so i am levelling up there,fighting the tusken raiders...or whatever they are

15 hrs playtime

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2007, 12:13:56 AM »

fighting the tusken raiders

hehehe yea they are totally the bastard children of tusken raiders / jawa thats great i didnt think of it before but lucas should have been on the phone with a lawsuit months ago
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2007, 12:57:53 AM »

Ok, so here is my status update: I am now about 58 hours in after playing about 14 hours this weekend. I have 3 guys at lvl43, and 3 at 44. I have 2 optional espers, have finished about 25 hunts, and acquired a few super powerful weapons. Spoiler update:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have finished Draklor laboratory and am not wandering around the Cenied(sp?) steppe doing some grinding and loot hunting. I am moving from there through the feywood forest and continuing with the story. I recently picked up another deathbringer, and have saved right oustide the area where you mine the chest for Formalhaut and hope to get that tonight. I am probably going to do story and level my guys up to around 50 before I go back to doing a few more optional hunts/weapon searches. Past 50 I plan on only continuing to level one party as I push towards the end of the story and some of the master hunts. I probably anticipate being done at around 70-75 hours at this point-hopefully I can be done this coming weekend and move on to some other stuff in my backlog and return to get most of the optional stuff when I have more time in the future.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2007, 02:10:08 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 26, 2007, 10:40:20 PM

I wouldn't say by itself it will, but combined with other rare items it will unlock stuff at the bazaar once sold. I am amazed you are almost at 70 hours since we are roughly the same level (you are 3-4 levels higher on average) and I am only 58 hours-actually, maybe that isn't a big difference. Still need to write my update post!!

Yeah, not too much of a difference, though being so delinquent in starting the game your progress has no doubt been streamlined by us trailblazers who started back when it was released icon_wink

Actually, you are just a tad farther than me story-wise
Spoiler for Hiden:
I just arrived in Archades and am about to start Draklor
. Looks like a huge load of sidequests open up again after I finish
Spoiler for Hiden:
Draklor
, so it looks like I'll be sidetracked once again.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 27, 2007, 03:44:57 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 27, 2007, 02:10:08 AM

Quote from: Calvin on February 26, 2007, 10:40:20 PM

Yeah, not too much of a difference, though being so delinquent in starting the game your progress has no doubt been streamlined by us trailblazers who started back when it was released icon_wink

Actually, you are just a tad farther than me story-wise
Spoiler for Hiden:
I just arrived in Archades and am about to start Draklor
. Looks like a huge load of sidequests open up again after I finish
Spoiler for Hiden:
Draklor
, so it looks like I'll be sidetracked once again.

Yeah if you follow them with the same completion goal that you are moving on with you will be sidetracked for a good while here smile Please keep me updated on your hunts/sidequests a well when you get the time in this thread, would love to compare the hunts and optional espers etc that we have done.

BTW-me starting so late has been an enormous advantage, and having all you help me through to the point where I feel like I know the game well at this point has absolutely allowed me to get this far this relatively fast. Thanks!!  icon_smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2007, 04:06:53 AM »

I'm right at the point behind Kevin where I finished the quest/boss fight necessary to be told to go to where Kevin is headed now. My guys are all right now circling 30 so when I next get the chance I'm going to head that way. In the meantime, I knocked off another hunt and aquired roughly 5 more. With plenty more sidequests waiting to be unlocked I have no earthly idea when I'll finish this beast.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2007, 12:57:52 PM »

lol,i have just been levelling for 3 hrs...got a chain of 327 with the sandpeople/jawas...afetr you get a chain of 60 thats when you start getting useful itlems like phoenix down or all your team get protect casted on you etc

i am level 17 now,gonna go to the kings tomb

18hrs

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2007, 01:25:02 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 27, 2007, 04:06:53 AM

I'm right at the point behind Kevin where I finished the quest/boss fight necessary to be told to go to where Kevin is headed now. My guys are all right now circling 30 so when I next get the chance I'm going to head that way. In the meantime, I knocked off another hunt and aquired roughly 5 more. With plenty more sidequests waiting to be unlocked I have no earthly idea when I'll finish this beast.

You probably are a little low level to make it through the areas to get to the place Kevin is going FYI Mitch, you might want to powerlevel a bit!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 27, 2007, 01:27:06 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 27, 2007, 12:57:52 PM

lol,i have just been levelling for 3 hrs...got a chain of 327 with the sandpeople/jawas...afetr you get a chain of 60 thats when you start getting useful itlems like phoenix down or all your team get protect casted on you etc

i am level 17 now,gonna go to the kings tomb

18hrs

I got my biggest chain against the jawas too-like 277 I think-unfortuntely 100 or something is the max chain and there you stop getting new and improved loot. Also be careful, I unknowingly totally maxed out a few of the items I was collecting from those guys while grinding and ended up wasting thousands and thousand of potential gil by not breaking my chain to go back and sell stuff. Its funny that you did that though, because I did exactly the same thing until about the same level as your right there smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2007, 05:29:33 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 27, 2007, 01:25:02 PM

You probably are a little low level to make it through the areas to get to the place Kevin is going FYI Mitch, you might want to powerlevel a bit!

Oh I plan too, but I plan to PL where the enemies are stronger and that's why I may head towards where Kevin was. Not saying I'll get to where he is but I plan to at least head in that direction. There's only so much of the Eastsands foes one can take. slywink

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2007, 05:34:01 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 27, 2007, 05:29:33 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 27, 2007, 01:25:02 PM

Oh I plan too, but I plan to PL where the enemies are stronger and that's why I may head towards where Kevin was. Not saying I'll get to where he is but I plan to at least head in that direction. There's only so much of the Eastsands foes one can take. slywink

Actually I'm not sure that you are under-leveled.  I'm guessing that you are
Spoiler for Hiden:
Leaving Mt Bur Omisace on the way to Archadia?
  If that's the case I noticed when I saved over an old slot last night that I was around Level 30 at the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Shrine of Miriam
.  The journey you are about to undertake is LONG, especially if you fully explore each area so there is lots of room for leveling.  Especially since you will be able to get the item to double your EXP along the way. 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2007, 05:51:19 PM »

Exactly where I'm at and exactly why I'm going to head that way ASAP. icon_biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2007, 06:21:53 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 27, 2007, 05:51:19 PM

Exactly where I'm at and exactly why I'm going to head that way ASAP. icon_biggrin

Ooooh ok, I thought you were at
Spoiler for Hiden:
the Sochen Palace caves
, which requires high 30s at the very least-you should be in excellent shape.

As I was telling kevin earlier on PM, I was in the wrong place looking for fomalhaut, so in my 45 minutes of game time yesterday (grr beyond belief) I found the right spot and headed over and got lucky for my troubles and got it on my first try (that seems right considering how long I looked in the wrong place!!). Then I went back to the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Bosphoreim? port
and grinded a few minutes but I am fairly sure i am going to go back to the sochen cave palace for more grinding/loot because I think there are more enemies there even thoguh they give less experience than the first location (although the first location does have a SWEET 3500XP wyrm...hmm. Anyhoo, hope to get in an hour tonight.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2007, 06:35:08 PM »

One point of advice- if you are doing hunts then I would recommend not saving them all until you finish your journey.  That's what I did but ultimately found that by then most of the hunts were too easy and the loot from them often was worse than what I already had. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2007, 06:59:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 27, 2007, 06:35:08 PM

One point of advice- if you are doing hunts then I would recommend not saving them all until you finish your journey.  That's what I did but ultimately found that by then most of the hunts were too easy and the loot from them often was worse than what I already had. 

Oh yeah I found that completely true, unfortunatley, the next set of hunts are all creatures like lvl 48+, which is on the cusp of being too hard, then the next jump is in the mid 50s, where htey are definately too hard-the pacing on the hunts, especially the elite marks is a little off for my tastes, but still very fulfilling.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »

okay okay you piqued my interest... wheres this
Spoiler for Hiden:
formholt, formmoult, whatever its is???

also - do you guys like to hang out in the
Spoiler for Hiden:
necrohol?
  nice place to level and not too tough at all - those lil
Spoiler for Hiden:
goblin type guys
are pretty good on xp and REALLY easy to beat with a mage

as long as you dont bump into...
Spoiler for Hiden:
one of the floating head things that has a spell which totally drains a characters mp

wow these spoiler things are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: