http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:55:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII Strategy Questions (and Impressions)  (Read 23517 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12521


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2007, 04:06:23 AM »

Quote from: slackerjoe on February 19, 2007, 02:03:51 AM

This thing hits for awesome (though inconsistent) damage

My initial thought was to make Basch an axe character, but the inconsistent damage ended up scrapping that notion.  It simply got too frustrating to have him hit for 500 damage with one swing, and 25 on the next two.  It probably all averages out in the end, but I just felt better using weapons that caused a consistent amount of damage every time.
Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2853


View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2007, 04:53:10 PM »

i went axes with basch and theyre all pretty decent, with a lot of added effects.  i might have to try some of those sledgehammers ive turned up...

still into this game, which is excellent because there is NOTHING else new out - this has been carrying me nicely!  right now im about 60 hours in, all my characters are 36 - 38 and i just got to
Spoiler for Hiden:
the first part of archadia, the old city

hope i still have a ways to go!
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »

My weekend recap:
I am currently level 32-34 across all 6 characters. Even though Kathode is trying to shame me into matching his goal of getting all characters to 60, I plan to stop leveling up the second party around 40. Might be 45, might be 39, but 40 is the goal. My first party, other than ranged attacks, is absurdly powerful (yes Kathode, I rule). With K's suggestion, I went and did an optional and got me a deathbringer at level 31. Yeah, um, its ridiculous. Can you say 2000+ damage at that level? Anyhoo, I am at this part of the story:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I am going from the Tchiti highlands into the hidden shrine thingy and then sneaking into Archades.
. I plan on pushing through on the story until approximately level 40 and then coming back and blitzing through about 10 hunts I have piling up and getting a few optional espers. There are a few  hunts I could do now, I am just not sure I feel like bothering. One involves finding your way through a minor maze in the Rabanastre sewers and is hella annoying.

Some thoughts from an email to depward:
Quote
The game continues to be downright awesome-it certainly rivals 10 for sheer brilliance (if not the same level of emotional impact and story telling). Certainly the entire hunt/sidequest/optional part of the game puts X to shame and really outclasses any previous FF. I mean, the hunts are really a separate monster hunter game in and of itself, which is staggering when you consider it. I wish the story was more fleshed out or at least more personal, but it is actually getting better after a slow middle. Funny to think I actually finished FFX my first run through at 51 hours, so I am almost there in 12 already and I really might be at most 60% done, which is scary. I would like to do at least most of the hunts and sidequests, but I know that with this being the only game I can play right now I will start to wear down by next weekend-so I might do about half the optional stuff, and push to finish the game around 60-65
Logged
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2853


View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2007, 05:31:51 AM »

hey i have a question for anyone with the guide or just anyone who might know...

the staff - does a staff with an element increase damage for that element? some are called like glacial staff or fire staff or some such thing - do these give bonuses? or are they just names?
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2007, 12:26:26 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 21, 2007, 05:31:51 AM

hey i have a question for anyone with the guide or just anyone who might know...

the staff - does a staff with an element increase damage for that element? some are called like glacial staff or fire staff or some such thing - do these give bonuses? or are they just names?

Well for a staff, the element on the staff enhances the power of that magical element (I don't have the guide in front of me going off memory), but for certain other weapons the element is indicitive of a type of damage that may proc on hit.
Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7848


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2007, 02:45:48 PM »

Here's where I'm at:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Just finished with Fran's village then went outside, took a right, then walked into the Elder Wyrm boss who absolutely wiped the floor with me. By "absolutely wiped the floor" I mean "I actually had him down quite a bit but that damn Sporefall just kept killing my characters." The result was me teleporting out and powerleveling, after I equipped everyone with a Golden Armlet of course. Double the LP per fight FTW. I'm trying to plow through the license board now and get everyone with at least two quickenings so their magic goes up. Balthier is on the cusp of level 30 with everyone else between levels 24 and 26 so I figure if I can get them up to around 30 then I should have a far easier time with that boss and the next few sections. Oh, and went on a hunt last night for that super turtle Gil Snapper. Holy Christ is that thing either insane or fairly easy depending on whether or not you hit it with Silence.

For whatever reason I'm still digging the hell out of this one, unlike FFX which I was bored with fairly quickly then gave up on 3/4 of the way through. It didn't help that never once did I find any of the characters less than annoying.
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2007, 02:54:28 PM »

Yeah you should be able to beat the elder wyrm easily at that level-I am surprised you don't have two quickenings for everyone yet-that is absolutely crucial for winning boss fights like that-I think I had almost 3 with everyone at that fight. Definately do that first. Balthier is also seriously, massively overleveled for that area of the game, so that should help you quite a bit-how in the world did you create that disparity? Just keep him in as the lead in both of your parties? He is a curious choice for that lead too, as for me he always was most effective with guns and poles/spears and lagged behind my other tanks (he is my secondary parties pole/heavy tank-but he is nowhere near as proficient at it as the others). Either way, you are doing just fine at this right I think-what is your hours played? Also, I don't think I ever bothered to do that turtle. I have at least 5 if not more hunts in the 30s that I am going to wipe out in one fell swoop of a playsession as soon as one party hits 39 or 40 (I dont feel like struggling with them  icon_wink)

And Mitch, I know you threw in that FFX just to send me into a frothing frenzy, but suffice it to say wtf dude  retard
Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7848


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2007, 03:20:32 PM »

Balthier is just damn cool which is mainly why I have him as party lead. Vaan was fine in the early going but since I have him more relegated to the thief role I bring him out mainly to level and then steal things. On the flip side, I've wound up with a few doozies in terms of loot with his gambits. One of the things I have set on him is roughly "Enemy = HP Critical then Poach." That landed me a few ancient grimoire's each worth just north of $1000 gil. ninja2 Also, I do have Balthier set to poles and the one he uses now is badass.

As for the licenses I'm completely all over the map which is what I both like and despise at the same time. There's no consistancy to the license board because everyone can have everything on it, and until I looked over Merian's FAQ I never guessed the differences in the character schemes. I currently have Penelo with guns, Balthier with Poles, Fran with Bows, Vaan/Basch/Ashe with Demonswords and all of them do an excellent amount of damage. My problem going into boss fights with Quickenings is whenever I fire off a chain I keep getting screwed on them. Every so often I can chain it up to around five or six hits but most other times the game just randomly screws me by giving me about three and then running out of time before another chance pops up despite me pounding on the R2 button.

When I land six-to-eight hits though it's usually pretty awesome, but those times are few and far between. I'm approaching 40 hours per the game clock, but I know at least five of those were when I left the game in the menu for a while instead of pausing it. So probably around 35 hours or so. Yeah, I tend to powerlevel a lot in these games and normally grit my teeth while doing so but the combat in FFXII is so much more fun that it's easy to just lose time. Also, in the Ozoma Plains(sp?) I found a dungeon that just kicks my ass. There are several horse/marlboro combinations that just beat you down. But they give great XP so when I'm feeling particularly suicidal I'll charge in there. icon_biggrin

As for FFX, something about it just never clicked for me with the characters. Tidus just made me groan the whole time, as did most everyone else in the cast. Not to mention the story was a little too hard core sci-fi even for my tastes. It's like they spent way too much time creating the world and not enough the correct details to it that made me believe people lived there. That may seem like an odd complaint but FFVIII had the same problem. I never felt anything for the characters or the world, and it didn't help that the story was just "meh" by itself. Compare that to FFVI and FFXII and the worlds, stories, and characters are lights years better.
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2007, 03:38:26 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 21, 2007, 03:20:32 PM

As for the licenses I'm completely all over the map which is what I both like and despise at the same time. There's no consistancy to the license board because everyone can have everything on it, and until I looked over Merian's FAQ I never guessed the differences in the character schemes. I currently have Penelo with guns, Balthier with Poles, Fran with Bows, Vaan/Basch/Ashe with Demonswords and all of them do an excellent amount of damage. My problem going into boss fights with Quickenings is whenever I fire off a chain I keep getting screwed on them. Every so often I can chain it up to around five or six hits but most other times the game just randomly screws me by giving me about three and then running out of time before another chance pops up despite me pounding on the R2 button.

When I land six-to-eight hits though it's usually pretty awesome, but those times are few and far between. I'm approaching 40 hours per the game clock, but I know at least five of those were when I left the game in the menu for a while instead of pausing it. So probably around 35 hours or so. Yeah, I tend to powerlevel a lot in these games and normally grit my teeth while doing so but the combat in FFXII is so much more fun that it's easy to just lose time. Also, in the Ozoma Plains(sp?) I found a dungeon that just kicks my ass. There are several horse/marlboro combinations that just beat you down. But they give great XP so when I'm feeling particularly suicidal I'll charge in there. icon_biggrin

As for FFX, something about it just never clicked for me with the characters. Tidus just made me groan the whole time, as did most everyone else in the cast. Not to mention the story was a little too hard core sci-fi even for my tastes. It's like they spent way too much time creating the world and not enough the correct details to it that made me believe people lived there. That may seem like an odd complaint but FFVIII had the same problem. I never felt anything for the characters or the world, and it didn't help that the story was just "meh" by itself. Compare that to FFVI and FFXII and the worlds, stories, and characters are lights years better.

As for the chains, just really quickly fire off the available ones and shuffle as efficiently as possible to maximize those chain-it is definately a bit of a crapshoot, but the faster you are the more chances you have to get good chains. DEFINITELY work on those quickenings man, I rarely ever have to fight bosses for more than 30% of their health if I play my cards right!

Demonsbane: you actually reloaded enough to get THREE of them? Holy min-max overpowered party Batman! That sword is good for at least 10 levels.
I would say you are a little overleveled and and are a little over-houred for where you are, but you have obviously invested in grinds and optional weapons, which is definately worth a  thumbsup My guys range from 32-34 about 3-4 story sequences past you at around 48 hours (not counting a few hours for reloads, etc.) Of course, I also wasted at least 3-4 hours getting killed or running from hunts I shouldn't be trying frown

I have never used "Poach" in fact, I don't think I have ever seen it for sale-is it useful and where did you acquire the license?

I too am not quite sold on the license board but I am waiting for a full rundown of my thoughts on it for my post-mortem.

As for the FFX stuff-I just don't understand the issue with the characters. IMO (and I know for many, many FF fans) the character depth, emotion, interaction, and characterization was not only the strongest part of the game's story, but also some of the strongest of any game in the series. I love FF12 and the story is great, but the characters are shells of the intriciate personalities and stories that are weaved in FFX-true, the story of 12 is much more grand and expansive (and as you said, doesn't require you to connect as many dots to fill in the blanks about two worlds and two time periods), but it just shocks me to hear anyone describe the characters as not fleshed out-either way WBS, let us retire this conversation to another thread so as not to derail this one further-my apologies for starting the debate smile
Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7848


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2007, 04:11:45 PM »

As for Poach, what it does is when an enemy is red-lining on health the command attacks the enemy and you get an item from them instead of XP/LP. Sometimes this works, sometimes not especially when the odds your other characters will smite the enemy prior to the poach are high. It's just a technick you can buy in Rabanastre at the store there once you unlock the license. But I poached some of those demon horses in the aforementioned dungeon in Ozeom Plains and netted a grimoire per poach that was valued at north of 1000 gil as I stated. So sometimes it's worthwhile to have, especially when you're a little low on cash. icon_biggrin I've purchased several of the monographs and the thing that annoys me is I haven't seen a major difference in loot, but oh well.

As for Demonsbane, I actually reloaded enough to get five of them but I'll confess that I got really, really lucky on them. For example, my first time to snag one was on my second reload. I also used the time to power level through those caverns so I'd go down, find a chest with 16 gil in it, fight my way out, save, restart, try it again. Basically it took me an evening of doing that and I wound up pretty set. icon_biggrin
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2007, 04:49:41 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 21, 2007, 04:11:45 PM

As for Poach, what it does is when an enemy is red-lining on health the command attacks the enemy and you get an item from them instead of XP/LP. Sometimes this works, sometimes not especially when the odds your other characters will smite the enemy prior to the poach are high. It's just a technick you can buy in Rabanastre at the store there once you unlock the license. But I poached some of those demon horses in the aforementioned dungeon in Ozeom Plains and netted a grimoire per poach that was valued at north of 1000 gil as I stated. So sometimes it's worthwhile to have, especially when you're a little low on cash. icon_biggrin I've purchased several of the monographs and the thing that annoys me is I haven't seen a major difference in loot, but oh well.

As for Demonsbane, I actually reloaded enough to get five of them but I'll confess that I got really, really lucky on them. For example, my first time to snag one was on my second reload. I also used the time to power level through those caverns so I'd go down, find a chest with 16 gil in it, fight my way out, save, restart, try it again. Basically it took me an evening of doing that and I wound up pretty set. icon_biggrin

5 demonsbanes-wow, you must have been untouchable for a solid 5 levels dude smile
Logged
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2007, 02:31:07 PM »

ok,this game finally comes out for me this friday(tomorrow)

do any of you have any tips that you think would be useful for me without giving any of the story away?

or you can refuse to answer me and say...'just get in there and play'
Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7848


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2007, 06:20:59 PM »

Steal every round of every fight. I think even moreso than the license board setup, the whole loot system threw me off. Basically you steal and/or obtain loot in practically every fight that you can only sell. You can not access it nor use it since it is there to be sold. When you sell certain combinations of loot it unlocks different items in the Bazaar which you'll discover in the natural course of play. But just be advised that selling a lot of loot early is your ticket to actually getting money, cause there is jack-all available otherwise.
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2007, 06:33:58 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 22, 2007, 06:20:59 PM

Steal every round of every fight. I think even moreso than the license board setup, the whole loot system threw me off. Basically you steal and/or obtain loot in practically every fight that you can only sell. You can not access it nor use it since it is there to be sold. When you sell certain combinations of loot it unlocks different items in the Bazaar which you'll discover in the natural course of play. But just be advised that selling a lot of loot early is your ticket to actually getting money, cause there is jack-all available otherwise.
I am going to write up a post later today or tomorrow, but suffice it to say this is the single worst aspect of the game for me. Its absolutely freaking essential to the game-metallic its literally the one thing you MUST know to be successful in FF12. Either way I think its the worst idea since the draw system and I hope, at least in its current concept it dies here-anyways more to come later.

Basic advice:
Steal, steal, steal.
Upgrade whenever you can
Try to keep your two parties relatively even leveled
get augments ASAP. ASAP.
Get quickenings and master chains asap. Every boss the first 25 hours can be beaten this way.
Have fun? biggrin
Logged
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2007, 07:54:18 PM »

thanks guys,advice taken aboard



Spoiler for Hiden:
i quite liked the draw system
Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2007, 07:56:31 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 22, 2007, 07:54:18 PM

thanks guys,advice taken aboard



Spoiler for Hiden:
i quite liked the draw system

hehe-you might not mind the steal system then smile I will elaborate on my dislike later on though.
Logged
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2853


View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »

and orphan - dont buy licenses for equipment not being sold yet (unless obviously you are "bum rushing" a quickening or augment)

you can get all licenses right away, but its a waste better spent on augments if you dont actually get the gear for another 30 hours

also hunts - they game WILL give you hunts that will kick your ass.  always save before hunts.  ditto for monsters with red (in the upper left hand side) names.  the red name thing becomes less important a bit later in the game.
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2007, 03:18:42 AM »

Yeah, stealing is essential but, with the gambit system, I don't really mind it. 
Logged
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12521


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2007, 03:39:33 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 23, 2007, 03:18:42 AM

Yeah, stealing is essential but, with the gambit system, I don't really mind it. 

True.  Having it automated isn't nearly as tedious as the manual input of the draw system.

Y'know, I never really thought of the comparison between the two until Calvin mentioned it.
Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1684


View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2007, 08:03:03 AM »

Experience question - I know only the active members get it, but I wanted to know more details.  Is it just the 3 folks who are active when the target dies?  Or does everybody who's participated in the battle (i.e. gotten a hit) get xp?  Inquiring minds want to know...
Logged

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on February 23, 2007, 08:03:03 AM

Experience question - I know only the active members get it, but I wanted to know more details.  Is it just the 3 folks who are active when the target dies?  Or does everybody who's participated in the battle (i.e. gotten a hit) get xp?  Inquiring minds want to know...

I know exactly what you are thinking-can I pull an FFX and just rotate the party in when fighting tougher mobs-the answer unfortunately is no-you can ONLY get XP for the three fighters standing at the end of a battle-if only 2 are alive, they split the experience 2 ways.
Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7848


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 23, 2007, 12:26:49 PM

Quote from: Dimmona on February 23, 2007, 08:03:03 AM

Experience question - I know only the active members get it, but I wanted to know more details.  Is it just the 3 folks who are active when the target dies?  Or does everybody who's participated in the battle (i.e. gotten a hit) get xp?  Inquiring minds want to know...

I know exactly what you are thinking-can I pull an FFX and just rotate the party in when fighting tougher mobs-the answer unfortunately is no-you can ONLY get XP for the three fighters standing at the end of a battle-if only 2 are alive, they split the experience 2 ways.

And you wonder why I powerlevel my characters so much... slywink

Also, I smacked down the Elder Wyrm last night when I discovered a slight trick to his Sporefall move:
Spoiler for Hiden:
It has a small radius and if you move a character with Esuna out of range then they're not affected.
This resulted in my being able to hammer the Wyrm into submission. Basically I took control of said character and left the others to just wail on the thing.

That being said I got my ass handed to me by the White Mousse repeatedly, so much so I was in a controller-throwing Hulk-Rage last night (I had it down to maybe 200HP then my range character drew the fucking lizard around the corner at the same time my Reflect spells all quit and when White Mousse hit me with Waterga. Not exactly a high point in my gaming career.) But right after the Elder Wyrm I picked up Firega which WM weak against and I plan to go kick his ass sometime tonight. nod
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2007, 03:08:48 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 23, 2007, 03:05:57 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 23, 2007, 12:26:49 PM

Quote from: Dimmona on February 23, 2007, 08:03:03 AM

Experience question - I know only the active members get it, but I wanted to know more details.  Is it just the 3 folks who are active when the target dies?  Or does everybody who's participated in the battle (i.e. gotten a hit) get xp?  Inquiring minds want to know...

I know exactly what you are thinking-can I pull an FFX and just rotate the party in when fighting tougher mobs-the answer unfortunately is no-you can ONLY get XP for the three fighters standing at the end of a battle-if only 2 are alive, they split the experience 2 ways.

And you wonder why I powerlevel my characters so much... slywink

Also, I smacked down the Elder Wyrm last night when I discovered a slight trick to his Sporefall move:
Spoiler for Hiden:
It has a small radius and if you move a character with Esuna out of range then they're not affected.
This resulted in my being able to hammer the Wyrm into submission. Basically I took control of said character and left the others to just wail on the thing.

That being said I got my ass handed to me by the White Mousse repeatedly, so much so I was in a controller-throwing Hulk-Rage last night (I had it down to maybe 200HP then my range character drew the fucking lizard around the corner at the same time my Reflect spells all quit and when White Mousse hit me with Waterga. Not exactly a high point in my gaming career.) But right after the Elder Wyrm I picked up Firega which WM weak against and I plan to go kick his ass sometime tonight. nod

Nice dude, very nice! What is your level and position in the story now? Also-what number hunt are you up to (completed). I have played 15 minutes the ENTIRE week, so obviously I have nothing new to report (and I am very unhappy about this).
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2007, 03:13:56 PM »

Yeah, White Mousse is a complete bitch.  I had to keep coming back to him at different stages of the game for another run through and I was finally successful on my last attempt.  The nice part was that you can get some good XP on the way there in the sewers. 
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2007, 03:25:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 23, 2007, 03:13:56 PM

Yeah, White Mousse is a complete bitch.  I had to keep coming back to him at different stages of the game for another run through and I was finally successful on my last attempt.  The nice part was that you can get some good XP on the way there in the sewers. 

The funny thing about White Mousse is that the monsters in the sewers on the way up to him are much more of a challenge than the comparitve level of the WM-but yeah, the XP is good. If you go back at mid to low 30s WM is cake, especially if you have 3 3 quickening characters. The biggest annoyance I had with it was getting freaking lost in the sewers getting to him every time. I wasted at least 2 hours of unrecorded play time on that bastage.

Tonight the plan is to finish the story sequence I am leading up to and then go and clear out at least 5 hunts that I am not high enough level to do. I am excited!
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »

I continue to be in awe of the power of a good mage.  With a Syphon gambit set up for when my caster's MP drops less than 50%, MP is no longer a concern at all (with the exception of bosses who will likely be immune to Syphon I imagine).  And now I have Ashe auto buffing my tanks with Beserk and Haste which results in 3x the speed for each!  It cost 30 MP to do the combination for each character  but with Syphon there is nothing to worry about!
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2007, 06:03:19 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 23, 2007, 05:42:11 PM

I continue to be in awe of the power of a good mage.  With a Syphon gambit set up for when my caster's MP drops less than 50%, MP is no longer a concern at all (with the exception of bosses who will likely be immune to Syphon I imagine).  And now I have Ashe auto buffing my tanks with Beserk and Haste which results in 3x the speed for each!  It cost 30 MP to do the combination for each character  but with Syphon there is nothing to worry about!

Yeah I don't have syphon yet, I am looking forward to that for my mages eventually. I currently have my tanks on auto-haste as well (i usually only haste 1 or 2 member of each parties although I never run out of MP really so I am not sure why I do that...), and that is more than enough for now. My mages honestly see very little offensive magic action except for when I got mobbed or against a boss-then I try to use complimentary elemental damage. Thats one of my few complaints with the game-while magic can be powerful and I enjoy using it, the lack of cool animations like the other games and the generally similar or greater melee damage usually makes all my mages be relegated to support casting roles.

Also-just wanted to point out that I am suprised you throw bersker in too-I am way too control oriented to want berserk on my guys more than every once in a great while. Things often can turn bad too quickly, and then I can't control anyone without a dispel.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 06:04:58 PM by Calvin » Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7848


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2007, 06:50:07 PM »

The problem I have with White Mouse is the same with Elder Wyrm - all those damn status ailments he hits you with. If you have on reflect then Waterga isn't an issue but those damn ailments are. Balthier is just shy of lvl 30 and everyone else is lvl 26-28 with Ashe being the lowest at 24. I also saved it right as I got to the base of the mountain where Ashe and Larsa have to go next. As for hunts, I've done roughly 10 of them but I've accepted tons more.
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2007, 06:56:46 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 23, 2007, 06:50:07 PM

The problem I have with White Mouse is the same with Elder Wyrm - all those damn status ailments he hits you with. If you have on reflect then Waterga isn't an issue but those damn ailments are. Balthier is just shy of lvl 30 and everyone else is lvl 26-28 with Ashe being the lowest at 24. I also saved it right as I got to the base of the mountain where Ashe and Larsa have to go next. As for hunts, I've done roughly 10 of them but I've accepted tons more.

You are on the absolute minimum I would say of beating WM without extreme difficulty. You could probalby if you had 3charge quickenings for a full party plus you do have five demonsbane's-but you are on the line.
Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7848


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2007, 07:02:24 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 23, 2007, 06:56:46 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 23, 2007, 06:50:07 PM

The problem I have with White Mouse is the same with Elder Wyrm - all those damn status ailments he hits you with. If you have on reflect then Waterga isn't an issue but those damn ailments are. Balthier is just shy of lvl 30 and everyone else is lvl 26-28 with Ashe being the lowest at 24. I also saved it right as I got to the base of the mountain where Ashe and Larsa have to go next. As for hunts, I've done roughly 10 of them but I've accepted tons more.

You are on the absolute minimum I would say of beating WM without extreme difficulty. You could probalby if you had 3charge quickenings for a full party plus you do have five demonsbane's-but you are on the line.

Actually I mis-calculated and I only have three. But that's still enough to pound monsters into submission.  icon_lol I think I may let WM go for right now and just focus on story for a little while. That seems to be how I'm playing this - I'll get to a good "stopping point" in the story then go PL and hunt for a while and screw around in general then get back to the story. I'm at a point where I can run back through the Panaramian(sp?) Rift and just PL and steal top to bottom, plus I just picked up an accessory for Vaan that raises the chance of a theft netting me a rare item. Can't wait to try it. ninja2
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2007, 07:02:57 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 23, 2007, 06:03:19 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 23, 2007, 05:42:11 PM

I continue to be in awe of the power of a good mage.  With a Syphon gambit set up for when my caster's MP drops less than 50%, MP is no longer a concern at all (with the exception of bosses who will likely be immune to Syphon I imagine).  And now I have Ashe auto buffing my tanks with Beserk and Haste which results in 3x the speed for each!  It cost 30 MP to do the combination for each character  but with Syphon there is nothing to worry about!

Yeah I don't have syphon yet, I am looking forward to that for my mages eventually. I currently have my tanks on auto-haste as well (i usually only haste 1 or 2 member of each parties although I never run out of MP really so I am not sure why I do that...), and that is more than enough for now. My mages honestly see very little offensive magic action except for when I got mobbed or against a boss-then I try to use complimentary elemental damage. Thats one of my few complaints with the game-while magic can be powerful and I enjoy using it, the lack of cool animations like the other games and the generally similar or greater melee damage usually makes all my mages be relegated to support casting roles.

Also-just wanted to point out that I am suprised you throw bersker in too-I am way too control oriented to want berserk on my guys more than every once in a great while. Things often can turn bad too quickly, and then I can't control anyone without a dispel.

You seem to be at the same place in the game as I am so Syphon should definitely be available to you.

And Ashe still obliterates the damage that my tanks can do as long as she's at max health, especially if she is using a matching staff to her current elemental magic of choice.

I have to consciously not use Ashe stometimes because she is so powerful it's almost game breaking.

Beserker on my tanks doesn't bother me because I have to do so little micromanaging of them it's not a big deal on the very rare occasion I need to pop off a dispel. 
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2007, 07:20:27 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 23, 2007, 07:02:24 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 23, 2007, 06:56:46 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 23, 2007, 06:50:07 PM

The problem I have with White Mouse is the same with Elder Wyrm - all those damn status ailments he hits you with. If you have on reflect then Waterga isn't an issue but those damn ailments are. Balthier is just shy of lvl 30 and everyone else is lvl 26-28 with Ashe being the lowest at 24. I also saved it right as I got to the base of the mountain where Ashe and Larsa have to go next. As for hunts, I've done roughly 10 of them but I've accepted tons more.

You are on the absolute minimum I would say of beating WM without extreme difficulty. You could probalby if you had 3charge quickenings for a full party plus you do have five demonsbane's-but you are on the line.

Actually I mis-calculated and I only have three. But that's still enough to pound monsters into submission.  icon_lol I think I may let WM go for right now and just focus on story for a little while. That seems to be how I'm playing this - I'll get to a good "stopping point" in the story then go PL and hunt for a while and screw around in general then get back to the story. I'm at a point where I can run back through the Panaramian(sp?) Rift and just PL and steal top to bottom, plus I just picked up an accessory for Vaan that raises the chance of a theft netting me a rare item. Can't wait to try it. ninja2

That is 100% how I am playing the game. I am 3-4 story sequences in front of you and just about to come up on some temple thing and a boss (according to the guide, which I am using too much and spoiling too much stuff but thats another story), and right after that is the perfect time for me to stop and literally do 5 hunts that I have been waiting on. And I have been doing that same style with hunts the whole game. Its a good plan.
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2007, 07:23:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 23, 2007, 07:02:57 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 23, 2007, 06:03:19 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 23, 2007, 05:42:11 PM

I continue to be in awe of the power of a good mage.  With a Syphon gambit set up for when my caster's MP drops less than 50%, MP is no longer a concern at all (with the exception of bosses who will likely be immune to Syphon I imagine).  And now I have Ashe auto buffing my tanks with Beserk and Haste which results in 3x the speed for each!  It cost 30 MP to do the combination for each character  but with Syphon there is nothing to worry about!

Yeah I don't have syphon yet, I am looking forward to that for my mages eventually. I currently have my tanks on auto-haste as well (i usually only haste 1 or 2 member of each parties although I never run out of MP really so I am not sure why I do that...), and that is more than enough for now. My mages honestly see very little offensive magic action except for when I got mobbed or against a boss-then I try to use complimentary elemental damage. Thats one of my few complaints with the game-while magic can be powerful and I enjoy using it, the lack of cool animations like the other games and the generally similar or greater melee damage usually makes all my mages be relegated to support casting roles.

Also-just wanted to point out that I am suprised you throw bersker in too-I am way too control oriented to want berserk on my guys more than every once in a great while. Things often can turn bad too quickly, and then I can't control anyone without a dispel.

You seem to be at the same place in the game as I am so Syphon should definitely be available to you.

And Ashe still obliterates the damage that my tanks can do as long as she's at max health, especially if she is using a matching staff to her current elemental magic of choice.

I have to consciously not use Ashe stometimes because she is so powerful it's almost game breaking.

Beserker on my tanks doesn't bother me because I have to do so little micromanaging of them it's not a big deal on the very rare occasion I need to pop off a dispel. 

Yeah thats a valid point about the tanks other than the fact that for me I use the one tank to target monsters to reduce their health so stupid Vaan won't just steal the entire fight if their are multiple opponents (damn you steal function). KMG could you tell me what are the 3-4 most used offensive magic spells for you and the frequency you use them? That might really help me shore up what I feel is underutilized and weak magic production from my mages-and I have 2 characters totally decked out as mages.
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2007, 07:36:25 PM »

Re: Stealing- if you have a ranged attacker then the most effective steal gambit IMO is:

Tank:  Foe HP=100% Steal
Ranged:  Foe HP=100% Attack

Most ranged attacks are slower than melee.  So this gambit has your ranged attacker essentially slightly lagging your thief and knocking some hitpoints off of all enemies.  So it generally works that your thief will automatically do a steal on every enemy once and then commence attacking since by that time your ranged guy has ensured that no enemies are at 100% anymore.  Especially effective with guns since they cannot miss.  I also have a higher priority Foe HP=Critical/Attack gambit so that both characters won't let heavily damaged enemies linger while they work on stealing.  Works perfectly and is the big reason why I don't mind the steal mechanic at all.

In terms of spells, I generally just stick with one of the Blizzara, Fira, etc spells that seem to apply to the most enemies in an area.  However I have both Ice-Weak and Fire-Weak gambits (as well as a more useless Ice-Vulnerable) gambits to allow Ashe to be specific when necessary.  I like to use Death on occasion just to spice things up.

However, the key to doing damage with a mage relies on augments and outfitting.  Essential to this is the augment that boosts magic power when HP are full.  Since Ashe does nothing but magic attacks she rarely gets hit and if she does I have gambits to auto-heal her to full at the end of every encounter. That makes a substantial difference in her damage output.  Equally important is having her weapons and armor all having magic power enhancing attributes.  Doing all of that boosts her magic power super high.  But this strategy relies on using that character as a pure mage.  If you want to have them do melee or anything then that substantially blunts the damage potential of spells.   
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2007, 07:48:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 23, 2007, 07:36:25 PM

Re: Stealing- if you have a ranged attacker then the most effective steal gambit IMO is:

Tank:  Foe HP=100% Steal
Ranged:  Foe HP=100% Attack

Most ranged attacks are slower than melee.  So this gambit has your ranged attacker essentially slightly lagging your thief and knocking some hitpoints off of all enemies.  So it generally works that your thief will automatically do a steal on every enemy once and then commence attacking since by that time your ranged guy has ensured that no enemies are at 100% anymore.  Especially effective with guns since they cannot miss.  I also have a higher priority Foe HP=Critical/Attack gambit so that both characters won't let heavily damaged enemies linger while they work on stealing.  Works perfectly and is the big reason why I don't mind the steal mechanic at all.

In terms of spells, I generally just stick with one of the Blizzara, Fira, etc spells that seem to apply to the most enemies in an area.  However I have both Ice-Weak and Fire-Weak gambits (as well as a more useless Ice-Vulnerable) gambits to allow Ashe to be specific when necessary.  I like to use Death on occasion just to spice things up.

However, the key to doing damage with a mage relies on augments and outfitting.  Essential to this is the augment that boosts magic power when HP are full.  Since Ashe does nothing but magic attacks she rarely gets hit and if she does I have gambits to auto-heal her to full at the end of every encounter. That makes a substantial difference in her damage output.  Equally important is having her weapons and armor all having magic power enhancing attributes.  Doing all of that boosts her magic power super high.  But this strategy relies on using that character as a pure mage.  If you want to have them do melee or anything then that substantially blunts the damage potential of spells.   

Thanks Kevin-I will work on that and play with my mage gambits tonight and see what I can come up with. RE: stealing-I only have one party with a ranged member and I do use that gambit-it works fine but still doesn't eliminate my central issue with stealing. For my non-ranged party its tougher, but it certainly doesn't really affect anything other than my patience.
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2007, 07:55:32 PM »

Yeah, all of my different party variations have ranged characters (current personal favorite is boys/girls with the girls absolutely obliterating what the boys can do).  I only steal with Vaan/Basche though so I frequently go long periods of time without worrying about it and I still have money for everything I need. 
Logged
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2007, 05:18:41 AM »

okay played the first 3 hours...killed some tomato kid,and just got the sunstone

quite impressed up to now,the ingame graphics look a little more rougher than i expected,especially on the character models,but the town i am in hmm,begins with a 'R'...looks great and it feels like a bustling city,with everybody there....not sure if the little speech bubbles are needed though for if you want to talk to them,looks a bit odd...i have to sneek into the palace now,through the sewers

the fighting is pretty good as well,it looks like someones party with a lot of party streamers all over the place(but i see you can turn these off)...i do miss the victory music at the end of a fight though

the license board seems okay,i am trying to find how i can equip my broadsword....reminds me a lot of FF10 spheregrid

oh,yeah,and a bit dissapointed with the Cut scenes,yeah they are great looking,but two big black boarders appear at the sides of my screen,and with me having subtitles(as i am deaf),there is a big black bar at the bottom of the screen during cut scenes,which spoils them(this may just be PAL,im not sure) ...the ingame cut scenes are fine though

sorry if someone has mentioned any of these,as i have tried to avoid this thread so as not to spoil stuff for me
Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12521


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2007, 02:58:03 PM »

The bottom black bar is there whether you have subtitles on or not.  Not sure about the side bars, though.  Never had that happen to me.
Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2007, 03:48:04 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 24, 2007, 02:58:03 PM

The bottom black bar is there whether you have subtitles on or not.  Not sure about the side bars, though.  Never had that happen to me.

I think that might be a PAL artifact.  Aren't PAL TV's 16x9?  FFXII cutscenes are done in 4x3 so I think they add the black bars to keep the aspect ratio correct. 
Logged
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2007, 04:32:59 PM »

yeah it does make the picure look like 4:3..so perhaps thats it..shame as i live for final fantasy cut scenes and this does spoil it somewhat

the ingame graphics what i mentioned before being a little rough has totally gone over my head now,some of the graphics have been fantastic

i have done about 7 and a half hrs now(level Cool,did some pretty hard dungeon where creatures were biting on the power cables and i had to get them to restore the power..i am back in my home city now..just done my 2nd hunt...some big multicoloured dog/wolf(reminded me of that big multicoloured dog from the beginning credits of sesame street that was playing with a load of chinese kids on the great wall of china..if any one remembers that all those years ago...and no,it wasnt a real dog,LOL)

i am actually having problems with libra(scan)..i bought libra,and obtained the license...but when i try and use it under techniks(or however you spell the crazy spelt word),i can only 'scan' myself....anyone know what i am doing wrong?

oh and yeah i equipped my broadsword now,i didnt know you could move about on the spher.....license board
Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.238 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.072s, 2q)