http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 05:38:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII Strategy Questions (and Impressions)  (Read 23579 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2007, 11:46:35 PM »

Hey guys, I finally after all this time have gotten back into FF12-I know, its blasphemy after I called the game one of my most anticipated ever before it came out-but what can I say, I wasn't in an RPG mood at the time and I didn't want to ruin it. So-even though I have Rogue Galaxy just yanking at me every day to play, I am diving fully into FF12 right now. So, I do have the strat guide, but I find it useful to ask you guys questions because you often have the DL on the most effective LP paths and things of that nature.

Here goes: my party is level 9, and I have just returned to Rabanastre after the Bartheim Passages. I have just under 8 hours clocked. Needless to say I am early in the game (and 6 of those hours were 3 days after the game came out!!).

License board questions: I remember reading you guys saying go straight for augments and quickenings, is this true?

LB specialization: I kinda have the idea that Vaan will be fast swords and light armor (technik route), Basch will be halberds/spears and heavy armor, Ashe will be heavy swords and armor (black mage), Fran will be a near pure black mage with staves or a bow, Balth will be a pure gunslinger green mage, and Penello will be my white mage with a to be determined weapon All mages will go mystic armor route. Does that sound like viable builds for these characters? I know you can really mix it up with the openness of the LP-but that was the general direction I wanted to take my party and was curious what you all think.

Weapons/armor routes: Are there any weapon and or armor trees that confer better bonuses, be it min/max or just fun?

Cross-specialization: How much of it should you do and what magic/technik trees are most effective to cross customize.

Techniks and accessory squares: Are these really useful and worth getting?

Finally, the stealing stuff I read so much about in the many FF threads that came out right after the game. Is this really really necessary? The only gambit I have with my limited selection now is "Nearest Foe-Steal". It works fine, but I dislike intensely having to have all 4 people on gambits, and its a huge pain to just manually do it every time-the problem with the gambit is that it works over and over, its not just a "Foe 100% health-steal" type thing because I don't have that gambit yet. Needless to say I do not like having to steal constantly. Is this really necessary if you occasionally take a while to grind and get some drops? I really dislike this aspect.

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:52:42 PM by Calvin » Logged
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:04:36 AM »

Okay, I've dropped over 40 hours and still not done, but just some words of advice.

You can specialize now, but later in the game you will get license points by the bucket full, and you can buy an accessory to double the amount earned. With all my peeps near level 30 I can say I have most of the important Licenses unlocked.

Mainly that's augments and Quickenings. So do go after those as much as possible. It makes it a lot easier to go toe to toe with bigger bosses when you can take more damage, deal out more damage and do it faster. Quickenings are great because once you get comfortable chaining them you will be dropping 50,000 hp bosses before they can even get a hit in  icon_biggrin

Get up to accessory level 8, that allows you to equip the LP doubling acc. ; You need one character to go down the technik path just for the Quickenings, so pick one and run with it. They can be useful if you take a character that you won't have casting much and give them these as backups. 1000 needles is a favorite.

Lastly, yes, steal, steal and steal some more. I use Vaan, with the Thief cuffs (another great accessory), and I make a ton of money off loot. It is worth every penny. I manually control him and only him and I make sure I steal all I can.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 01:26:25 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 06, 2007, 12:04:36 AM

Okay, I've dropped over 40 hours and still not done, but just some words of advice.

You can specialize now, but later in the game you will get license points by the bucket full, and you can buy an accessory to double the amount earned. With all my peeps near level 30 I can say I have most of the important Licenses unlocked.

Mainly that's augments and Quickenings. So do go after those as much as possible. It makes it a lot easier to go toe to toe with bigger bosses when you can take more damage, deal out more damage and do it faster. Quickenings are great because once you get comfortable chaining them you will be dropping 50,000 hp bosses before they can even get a hit in  icon_biggrin

Get up to accessory level 8, that allows you to equip the LP doubling acc. ; You need one character to go down the technik path just for the Quickenings, so pick one and run with it. They can be useful if you take a character that you won't have casting much and give them these as backups. 1000 needles is a favorite.

Lastly, yes, steal, steal and steal some more. I use Vaan, with the Thief cuffs (another great accessory), and I make a ton of money off loot. It is worth every penny. I manually control him and only him and I make sure I steal all I can.

Hey Bunk, great advice (and don't anyone else feel shy-I still am very curious about weapon/armor customizing for each character so please chime in) about everything. Let me ask you a specific steal question. Since I don't like having Vaan on gambits, and I find it cumbersome at best to navigate the menus to steal each and every battle, would it be efficient to make someone do that with a "nearest foe steal" or "leaders target >75% health steal" or some such? I could make it a mage since they will likely have less utility in regular adventuring situations. Thoughts?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 01:52:42 AM »

actually now that you mention it, a steal from leader's target gambit would be good. Also if you set it on someone with a Ranged weapon they can steal from farther away. I don't put Vaan on gambits either and it's worked.

As for weapon/armor

this is what I did;

Vaan
Light Armor
Swords
Shields
-- Gets him great evade, shield block and he gets a lot of multiple hits with swords, went with light armor to augment his speed to help with stealing stuff.

Balthier
Crossbows and Guns
Heavy Armor
No Shields obviously
-- He gets the heavy armor beause he is usually the first to attack and gets hit a lot at first. Heavy gives him a good health boost too.

Fran
Bows to Katana
Magic Armor
-- makes her fast as all get out once you start getting augments. She is also a good caster for me with Black and Time magic with a little dab in white and green. Kind of my Red mage character

Penelo
Crossbows
Magic Armor
-- Good for distance, focusses mainly on Black magic with light green and time magic. All of my characters know at least cure.

Basch
Hammers/Heavy Swords
Heavy Armor
Shield when he can
-- He is my tank when I use him, I buff him and make him the target and he takes and dishes out the beatings. Hammers are good all around damage weapon and a lot of the later ones have good status ailments they can drop. Current one will put a Disable on the enemy.

Ashe
Swords
Heavy Armor
Shields
-- White magic is her key with Green as her secondary. I went with swords and shields so she can help with melee while still casting. More of a Cleric than a White Mage.

I can't really recommend specific armor/weapon combos, but I can say to not sell stuff right away, when you get to the 8, 9, 10 and above license equipment you can create some good combos with interesting bonusses so just make sure you check out each one's stat buff.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 02:02:35 AM »

Been a few months since I played, but the best setup I found for a Steal gambit was to set one of your support characters with the Enemy HP=100% --> Steal.  This way they would only steal against enemies at full strength, then switch to attack/cast/heal/whatever once they'd been hit.  It required a little bit of babysitting (they would continually steal if the other members were concentrating on a tough enemy), but it was certainly better than having to open your leader's menu every time you wanted to steal.

With the license board, definately for the augments first.  You can keep them specific (melee damage boost for fighters, X% less mana for casters, etc.), but the augments are an absolute lifesaver.  I found that I rarely used black magic, so I set up 2 characters as ranged White Mages (Penelo/crossbow & Fran/bow), one as a ranged combo black/white mage (Balthier/guns), and three melee characters (Vaan & Basch with heavy armor & swords, Ashe with spear and light armor).  If you get the LP doubling accessory (which I would highly recommend), you'll have enough LP by level 45 for every augment, nearly every spell (black, green, white, time, & otherwise), plenty of weapons, and 3 quickenings for everyone.  You'll need to specialize a bit for the first half of the game, but it opens up pretty quickly. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 02:52:00 AM »

I would only focus on 3 chars and not split any up. I lvl'd 3 to like 60 something and the others never even touched.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 03:16:27 AM »

Definitely focus on augments.  Never, ever buy weapon/armor licenses unless the item is available to purchase or you are using them as stepping stones to reach a different item.

As far as paring weapons/armor to characters- it can make a huge difference.  I can't remember what went with what anymore but I remember I detailed some stuff in the impressions thread.  Or just read the strat guide for weapons and armor and you can find out about the stat bonuses that each brings.  Consequently specialization can make a large difference early on, especially on mages.

Also, for quickenings, a key thing to remember is that each quickening multiplies your total MP so it is essential to priortize getting your mages quickenings. 

A good stealing gambit is pretty much essential IMO.  The one that worked best for me was:

Vaan or another melee character:  Steal if Enemy HP=100%

combined with

Ranged character:  Attack if Enemy HP=100%

Ranged characters are usually slower than melee.  So what this does is get a ranged character to cycle thorugh and shoot all of the enemies once to knock them off of 100% HP.  But since you steal quicker than the ranged person attacks, that generally allows the thief to get through one full steal cycle on all of the enemies and then move on to combat gambits without having to manually intervene and keep him from stealing from the same foe continuously. 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 03:25:00 AM »

Okay gang, here's my question on Quickenings. I only have one on Bauch and have not picked up any of the others for any other character. I'm to a point where let's just say having a lot of these chained together would be a good thing. So, my question is this: Exactly how do I use them? Say I go into my other characters and give each one a Quickening. Would that then make the one on Bauch more powerful? As it stands now when I click on Quickening up pops a screen and a little menu at the bottom right but hell if I know what to do with it. What am I supposed to do other than probably read the frickin' manual? smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 03:35:05 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 06, 2007, 02:02:35 AM

Been a few months since I played, but the best setup I found for a Steal gambit was to set one of your support characters with the Enemy HP=100% --> Steal.  This way they would only steal against enemies at full strength, then switch to attack/cast/heal/whatever once they'd been hit.  It required a little bit of babysitting (they would continually steal if the other members were concentrating on a tough enemy), but it was certainly better than having to open your leader's menu every time you wanted to steal.

pretty much how i played it, tho i'd set my light armor leader to the 100%/steal & the other 2 characters to attack leader target - had to do some manual targeting if the mob was
particularly tough, but, even leveling all six characters pretty evenly, that only became a problem quite a ways into the game (&, for the last few areas, i just shut the steal gambit off, as there wasn't a whole lot left to buy, anyway)...

i'll also mention the one, single thing that made the game much more enjoyable for me - in boss battles / hunts, always make the leader a ranged fighter / mage. should probably be a no-brainer, but i know it didn't occur to me right away...

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 06, 2007, 03:25:00 AM

What am I supposed to do other than probably read the frickin' manual? smile

that'd definitely help. tho, even having done that, quickenings didn't click for me til i had three characters with at least one each - then i could finally really see the menu at the bottom, which choices were lit or not, & which buttons to push to trigger...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 03:45:39 AM »

As for Quickenings, I'd highly recommend the Quickening FAQ at gamefaqs.

The key is to have your 3 active party members to each have atleast one quickening. Then in battle select mist, quickening and the specific attack and target. Now when your character is performing their attack you generally have 3 options on the bottom of the screen, you can choose the next character to use a quickening by pressing Triangle, Square or X or you can shuffle by hitting the R2 button. All of this needs to be performed in the span of 5 seconds or so. The key is to actually use up all of your quickenings as quick as possible, So start with character 1, while he is attacking immediately hit the next button for the next character and so forth. Then when the 3rd character is attacking you can normally shuffle and get a mist charge to "power up" again and it lets you start the process all over. I've chained over 14 attacks for some serious damage. On top of the chain there is a "finishing" move that is triggered by chaining specific attack levels. This attack is an area attack with no elemental effects. Look at the FAQ for real. As you gain more quickenings, 3 per character, you can choose which level to use, and each level uses proportionately more magic power. So level one only needs one bubble, level 2 needs two and 3 needs three. However, when fully charged with 3 quickening bubbles you could actually just chain together 3 level 1 quickenings or 1 level 2 and one level 1 or just one level 3 attack. Make sense?

I really recommend the FAQ it will set you straight. When you start chaining 60k attacks  you feel really good about the battle system. The key is understanding how fast you need to be and being in position to push the buttons fast enough. Also the more chaining you do the more time gets added back, you could theoretically add .1 of a second back each round which is the difference between another chain level.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 06:41:41 AM »

you guys are just teasing me aren't you

the game still doesnt come out until 2 weeks this friday(i have boooked the friday and the following monday off work...yay,4 days of FF)

i bought the bradygames guide of amazon(and FF3..which isnt out until 2nd april,here),but the piggyback one comes out a week after the game,their guides are always better...i have all the piggyback guides

oh yeah,question about FF12...i was flicking through the bradygames guide,kinda torturing myself,making me want the game more and more...when i saw a picture of a moogle...what the f&%k have they done to it????....they now have bunny ears..whats all that about?

erm,best not answer if it spoils any plot or anything,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 12:02:57 PM »

Okay gang, here's my question on Quickenings. I only have one on Bauch and have not picked up any of the others for any other character. I'm to a point where let's just say having a lot of these chained together would be a good thing. So, my question is this: Exactly how do I use them? Say I go into my other characters and give each one a Quickening. Would that then make the one on Bauch more powerful? As it stands now when I click on Quickening up pops a screen and a little menu at the bottom right but hell if I know what to do with it. What am I supposed to do other than probably read the frickin' manual? smile

FWIW, I never did figure out the whole Quickening chain thing and was able to beat the game pretty easily.  I also didn't realize until 30+ hours in that getting quickenings doubled a characters MP.  Needless to say, I made a beeline for them as soon as I figured that little tidbit out!

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 03:30:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 06, 2007, 12:02:57 PM

FWIW, I never did figure out the whole Quickening chain thing and was able to beat the game pretty easily.  I also didn't realize until 30+ hours in that getting quickenings doubled a characters MP.  Needless to say, I made a beeline for them as soon as I figured that little tidbit out!

Well holy crap. That explains why the one guy who isn't Magic-centric yet has the lone Quickening of my crew has as many if not more so magic points than my mages.

/pwned.

I'm right at the start of the Tomb of the Raithwall so I'm going to run out and PL some more just to get each character a few more Quickenings. Basically I use the strategy of getting my characters as high in HP as possible as quickly as possible so when they start getting pounded in battle they at least last longer while I figure things out. This works great for the early going when I'm still getting the hang of the systems. But now I'm going to run out and make a beeline for each character to get a few Quickenings. Guess I know what I'll be doing today after work. Thanks! icon_wink

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 03:39:14 PM »

Yeah, I've found it better to just forget about green/white/black mages and just focus on Fighter vs. Mage and worry about equipment.  So I've got Basch, Vaan, Ashe as my melee guys who almost never use magic except in emergencies, and then Fran, Balth, and Penelo as ranged. From there you just have to worry about what weapon type to give them.  Once you get some really good MP it helps to set up gambits to keep your guys perma-buffed.  I have perma-haste on a few guys.  I'd recommend coming up with an "A team" and a "B team" to make the leveling simpler.  I just trade off - gain two levels with A, switch to B and gain two levels, switch back, etc.  Also, I'd recommend a gambit to make sure someone has Libra at all times.

Side note about gambits that isn't clear - If you do "Ally: Any" and then an item or spell that treats a condition (think Antidote, Alarm Clock, Esuna, etc), the person will use that item or spell only when necessary.  So if you have "Ally: Any -> Antidote" on Fran, she'll use an Antidote whenever someone is poisoned.  Very helpful and I have a large number of these gambits set up.

Quickenings rock once you start to get good with them.  I'd say you should make a beeline for them whenever possible because of the huge damage potential and the MP doubling and tripling capability.  Through the mid-game I was able to defeat a number of bosses simply by going through one group's quickenings, then swapping them out and using my second group.  My average quickening chain right now is usually around 11 or 12 and I've gotten it up to 17 recently.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 03:43:46 PM by kathode » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 04:08:22 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 06, 2007, 03:30:44 PM

Quote from: Gratch on February 06, 2007, 12:02:57 PM

Well holy crap. That explains why the one guy who isn't Magic-centric yet has the lone Quickening of my crew has as many if not more so magic points than my mages.

/pwned.

Whew, I'm not the only one that didn't notice.   icon_wink

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 12:02:06 AM »

A quick question: Where the hell do you get Ether potions? I've looked around time and again yet keep coming up shy. Thoughts?

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 01:31:49 AM »

You can't buy ethers.  They are pretty rare, and if you find hi-ethers, don't use them unless it's an emergency, and even then wait until it's an emergency late in the game smile  There are a number of augments that will help you recover MP.  Also the technik Charge is moderately helpful when you're still low level, though it's too risky for high-level characters, I've found.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot you can buy ethers from one secret merchant in a high level dungeon (think level 50).  The dungeon is the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Necrohol of Nabudis
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 01:37:40 AM by kathode » Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 02:08:33 AM »

Alrighty then, I failed to realize until I only had two in my inventory that you couldn't buy them low level. Is there another way other than the risky Charge to refill your MP in the heat of battle after it's been used up?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 02:12:06 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 07, 2007, 02:08:33 AM

Alrighty then, I failed to realize until I only had two in my inventory that you couldn't buy them low level. Is there another way other than the risky Charge to refill your MP in the heat of battle after it's been used up?

Just use gambits to manage it.  For run of the mill battles, make sure that gambits are only set to trigger if your MP is greater than 30% or something.  And then, once you get the gambit, just set a Gambit to automatically charge once Ether gets too low.  It's not really risky since yoiu can always try again immediately. 

Also, you can put the Charge gambit at the bottom of your list below any combat gambits ensuring that your mage will only auto use Charge outside of battle. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 02:17:54 AM »

There really is no risk to Charge when your MP is down around 10 Mp. You can run around and recharge 10 mp quickly, so I always use charge at 10 ro 15 MP or less because there's not much risk involved versus the reward of a 40 to 50 bump in MP.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 03:48:56 PM »

Yeah sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly when I said it's risky.  Charge is fine out of battle.  It just doesn't get you that much back, particularly when the high-level healing spells are basically required.  In the battles I find it more useful to have my guys throw around potions than risk a turn on a charge that will only be good for a couple heals.  I never really messed with it.  Instead I just used up all my ethers slywink

Is there another way other than the risky Charge to refill your MP in the heat of battle after it's been used up?

For in battle, you'll have to rely on opening up the augment licenses that let you recover MP when you take or dish out damage.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 05:37:07 PM »

So that's what those licenses are for.

/not thinking clearly at all

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 09:02:15 PM »

The quickenings work like this on MP:

1 Quickening = MP x 1 (ie no change)
2 Quickenings = MP x 2
3 Quickenings = MP x 3

So you want your mage characters to beeline to 2 quickenings ASAP.  And as Kathode mentioned, there is really no reason to specialize Green vs Black or whatnot.  There's plenty of LP to have everyone get everything unless you are deliberately avoiding combat, or playing by some self-imposed hardcore class system rules.

I've got my party setup this way:

Main Party:
Vaan, daggers / light armor / steals with thief's cuffs
Basche, axe / heavy armor
Penelo, staff, mystic armor, does mage stuff, accessory makes her immune to disable

2ndary Party:
Balthier, gun, light armor (no reason)
Bunny chick (I can't believe I forget her name.), Bow, mystic armor, mage
Ashe, bow, heavy armor (no reason), useless

The first party is main the party, they do all the killing and start the boss fights.
The 2nd part exists to finish boss fights that are too hard, and to take out flyers.

Gambits for everyone are basically:
heal ally > 30%
attack party leader target
heal ally > 80%

This way they'll all fight only who I say to fight, interrupt to heal in emergencies, and then when combat is over, everyone heals up to 80% automatically.

For Penelo, as the main mage/healer, her first heal ally is set higher, and I've got an additonal "Enemy status: Oil -> cast Fire" on her, that way if I tag anything she'll automatically flame it.

I've found manually stealing isn't a burden with the cursor memory turned on so I don't use gambits for stealing (none of which are perfect.)  There needs to be a "Enemy has item-> Steal" gambit, and there isn't one.

Oh yeah, I've also got gambits to do Libra and Protect on Vaan after combat is over since he takes the brunt of attacks as the combat initiator.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:04:39 PM by Bob » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 09:05:59 PM »

Quote from: kathode on February 07, 2007, 03:48:56 PM

For in battle, you'll have to rely on opening up the augment licenses that let you recover MP when you take or dish out damage.

Yep, slapping your black mage with:

1) augment to do add'l damage when caster's health is at max
2) augment to gain MP based on damage dealt to enemy
3) gambit to auto heal black mage to full health
4) Appropriate weapons/armor to maximize magic damage

= black mage doing unholy amounts of damage with barely any mp loss. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 09:21:29 PM »

Quote from: Bob on February 07, 2007, 09:02:15 PM

The quickenings work like this on MP:

1 Quickening = MP x 1 (ie no change)
2 Quickenings = MP x 2
3 Quickenings = MP x 3

So you want your mage characters to beeline to 2 quickenings ASAP.  And as Kathode mentioned, there is really no reason to specialize Green vs Black or whatnot.  There's plenty of LP to have everyone get everything unless you are deliberately avoiding combat, or playing by some self-imposed hardcore class system rules.

I've got my party setup this way:

Main Party:
Vaan, daggers / light armor / steals with thief's cuffs
Basche, axe / heavy armor
Penelo, staff, mystic armor, does mage stuff, accessory makes her immune to disable

2ndary Party:
Balthier, gun, light armor (no reason)
Bunny chick (I can't believe I forget her name.), Bow, mystic armor, mage
Ashe, bow, heavy armor (no reason), useless

The first party is main the party, they do all the killing and start the boss fights.
The 2nd part exists to finish boss fights that are too hard, and to take out flyers.

Gambits for everyone are basically:
heal ally > 30%
attack party leader target
heal ally > 80%

This way they'll all fight only who I say to fight, interrupt to heal in emergencies, and then when combat is over, everyone heals up to 80% automatically.

For Penelo, as the main mage/healer, her first heal ally is set higher, and I've got an additonal "Enemy status: Oil -> cast Fire" on her, that way if I tag anything she'll automatically flame it.

I've found manually stealing isn't a burden with the cursor memory turned on so I don't use gambits for stealing (none of which are perfect.)  There needs to be a "Enemy has item-> Steal" gambit, and there isn't one.

Oh yeah, I've also got gambits to do Libra and Protect on Vaan after combat is over since he takes the brunt of attacks as the combat initiator.

Thanks for the great tips bob-but what in the holy hell is "cursor memory turned on"?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 09:34:03 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 07, 2007, 09:21:29 PM

Thanks for the great tips bob-but what in the holy hell is "cursor memory turned on"?

It's a setting that makes the cursor in the action menu automatically go to the last thing you commanded, instead of starting at the top of the menu.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 09:45:47 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 07, 2007, 09:34:03 PM

It's a setting that makes the cursor in the action menu automatically go to the last thing you commanded, instead of starting at the top of the menu.

Just find it in the in-game menu? Is this a lot more useful for stealing Pug?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 07, 2007, 09:45:47 PM

I don't remember for sure, as I am easily distracted by new shiny things and my FFXII has been neglected, but I thought it was in the regular options menu?  I'd assume it'd make stealing easier simply by making it quicker to select over and over each battle.  I didn't do that method myself, I just had Vaan set to automatically steal from 100% health enemies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 10:04:16 PM »

That's awesome info Bob.  I never thought to use the post-battle 'heal to 80%' trick!   thumbsup

A couple other gambit tips that came to mind:

-  Always set up at least one or two characters with either a Phoenix Down or Resurrect gambit in the top slot.  That way, anyone who goes down will immediately get revived.  Don't do it with everyone, or you end up using multiple PD's or spells for a single downed ally.

-  The Decoy ability is fantastic for mob control, and is essential in the late-game.  It causes all enemies to attack one ally, and leaves your others free to cure, use black magic, etc.  For about the last 10 hours of the game, I set up a gambit that would automatically keep Decoy and  Protect cast on my tank.

-  For standard enemies, I would almost always control my tank (Vaan or Basch) and just let the gambits work on my healers and ranged attackers.  On bosses, however, I would always send my tanks in to fight, then control my ranged character to make sure buffs and heals were staying up on the tanks.  Seemed to be a pretty effective tactic.

Man, this is making me want to start FFXII over again...

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 10:12:39 PM »

Yeah, it's just in the option menu where the flicker filter and stuff like that is.  It makes your cursor remember the last thing picked in each menu.  So if you did Steal the last time, the cursor will be on Techniques, then on Steal.  If you do a Cura and then a Steal, the top menu's cursor will be on Technique, but if you go back to White Magic the cursor will go right to Cura. 

I wouldn't play without it.

It makes repeated stealing just.. 3 button presses I think. Just x,x,x.
That way none of the missed damage opportunities or missed steals that you get from using gambits for steal.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 10:15:50 PM by Bob » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 10:30:31 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 07, 2007, 10:04:16 PM

That's awesome info Bob.  I never thought to use the post-battle 'heal to 80%' trick!   thumbsup

A couple other gambit tips that came to mind:

-  Always set up at least one or two characters with either a Phoenix Down or Resurrect gambit in the top slot.  That way, anyone who goes down will immediately get revived.  Don't do it with everyone, or you end up using multiple PD's or spells for a single downed ally.

-  The Decoy ability is fantastic for mob control, and is essential in the late-game.  It causes all enemies to attack one ally, and leaves your others free to cure, use black magic, etc.  For about the last 10 hours of the game, I set up a gambit that would automatically keep Decoy and  Protect cast on my tank.

-  For standard enemies, I would almost always control my tank (Vaan or Basch) and just let the gambits work on my healers and ranged attackers.  On bosses, however, I would always send my tanks in to fight, then control my ranged character to make sure buffs and heals were staying up on the tanks.  Seemed to be a pretty effective tactic.

Man, this is making me want to start FFXII over again...
Heh, reading some old threads and firing the game up for 20 minutes made me decide to put off Rogue Galaxy to play it-I got totally wrapped up in the thought of it-I still havent really started my playthrough as BF2142 has completely obsessed me, but I hope tonight I get 3-4 hours.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 10:31:16 PM »

Quote from: Bob on February 07, 2007, 10:12:39 PM

Yeah, it's just in the option menu where the flicker filter and stuff like that is.  It makes your cursor remember the last thing picked in each menu.  So if you did Steal the last time, the cursor will be on Techniques, then on Steal.  If you do a Cura and then a Steal, the top menu's cursor will be on Technique, but if you go back to White Magic the cursor will go right to Cura. 

That way none of the missed damage opportunities or missed steals that you get from using gambits for steal.

Fantastic Bob my main man!! Speaking of flicker filter-do you use it (presuming you have an HDTV)?
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 11:09:33 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 07, 2007, 10:04:16 PM

Don't do it with everyone, or you end up using multiple PD's or spells for a single downed ally.

Actually I've found it handles those situations pretty well.  At least in regards to restoratives.  I know that for instance, if one is set up with a "Blind->Eye Drops" gambit and another is set up with a "Any->Esuna" gambit, if I have two people get blinded, the gambits will cause the characters to divide up their efforts so both my people get un-blinded.  Pretty neat, that.

I actually have a lot of my guys set up with huge chunks of "Any->Chronos Tear", "Any->Antidote", "Any->Hankerchief", etc.  And then I have Esunas and Remedies at the bottom for the stuff I miss.  But in general on both my teams, now that I've got full gambit slots on everyone, I've got any status effect covered. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 11:12:09 PM by kathode » Logged
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 02:51:35 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 07, 2007, 10:31:16 PM

Quote from: Bob on February 07, 2007, 10:12:39 PM

Fantastic Bob my main man!! Speaking of flicker filter-do you use it (presuming you have an HDTV)?
I use component cables on an SDTV.  With it off text is sharper, but there's no antialiasing. With it, text is  less crisp, but the antialiasing is better.  I ended up leaving it on.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2007, 08:40:32 PM »

Party Make-up Question:
So I was talking to Kathode this morning about some party makeup questions. Basically my question is this: Can you viably play through FF12 with two parties, one of which is almost entirely combat centric and the other magic centric? The reason for this is primarily enjoyment purposes. I really enjoy the characters of Vaan, Basch, and Ashe. I have a nice setup (13 hours in), where Vaan is in light armor, and mystic swords-swords-katanas, and techniks with light white, green, and time magic. Basch is currently going large swords and will either end up at Greatswords, Poles, or Axes depending on what is the most powerful group of weapons I can easily find, with heavy armor, and only the lightest of white, time, and green magics. Ashe is also going heavy armor with specialization on swords-great swords. She will be a bit more magic heavy, getting into all the major categories while I slow some of her other development.

Party two will feature: Balthier as a master gunner/heavy armor (Because he just takes too much damage as the lead), with heavy time, green, and light white magics. Fran will be the purest black mage in the party, with heavy arcane and light dabbles into white, green, and time magic. She will wear mystic armor and spec bows. Pennello will be the jack of all trades, mastering as many magics as she can without truly going nuts in any category. She will wear mystic armor, and spec rods, then perhaps measures.

So, from an RP-these are the characters I like most, I would like to break it down like that and keep party two in a more support role. I know there are two primary issues-lack of ranged in my primary party, and lack of heavy hitting magic or specialization in my primary. However, at least at this point in my game, having specialized mages is doing next to no good. They tear through their minimal MP, they take heavy damage, and while Fran and her bow is good right now, Balth's gun at this point is awful. Black magic spells don't do anywhere near enough damage to justify right now, and frankly other than the occasional flier, ranged damage isn't at a premium.

So..this is my dilemma. Kathode tells me this is not the most practical idea, and that I should at least sub one of the others into the primary party as a full time combo mage (and he reccomends a ranged character). So purely going out who annoys me least, it would be either Pennello or Balth in that role, but Pennello is specced out much better at mage. Either way, I would still prefer my original idea, since I would level them up somewhat concurrently as suggested here.

Thoughts, please? Thanks  icon_wink
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 11:38:20 PM »

I think that FFXII is balanced enough that you can use almost any part combo. I wasn't kidding when I said that in little more than double your time in you will have 90% if not all of the most important licenses and the rest will be mop up. It's not unimaginable to have every license fairly easily by end game.

As for a full time mage, the more and more you progress you will start to see the added value of using spells to attack weaknesses, and unlike previous Final Fantasy games, buffs and status ailments not only work but are great to use. I will suggest pushing whomever you will have casting spells to get the MP restoring augments. martyr is a good one, where you gain MP when you take damage, there are others that add mp when you cause damage etc. Also you can quickly get the MP cost lowering augments. Remember that you don't need the equipment licenses until you can actually acquire the equipment, so you should focus all of your LP on getting the augments to improve your characters.

You could easily have Ashe as a battle-mage type character and get both your dedicated magic with a physical edge.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 12:40:45 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 10, 2007, 11:38:20 PM

I think that FFXII is balanced enough that you can use almost any part combo. I wasn't kidding when I said that in little more than double your time in you will have 90% if not all of the most important licenses and the rest will be mop up. It's not unimaginable to have every license fairly easily by end game.

As for a full time mage, the more and more you progress you will start to see the added value of using spells to attack weaknesses, and unlike previous Final Fantasy games, buffs and status ailments not only work but are great to use. I will suggest pushing whomever you will have casting spells to get the MP restoring augments. martyr is a good one, where you gain MP when you take damage, there are others that add mp when you cause damage etc. Also you can quickly get the MP cost lowering augments. Remember that you don't need the equipment licenses until you can actually acquire the equipment, so you should focus all of your LP on getting the augments to improve your characters.

You could easily have Ashe as a battle-mage type character and get both your dedicated magic with a physical edge.

Thanks bunk, thats exactly the type of thing I was going for-question, I do have the strategy guide but I don't want to spoil a lot by reading ahead-could you please tell me what the earliest possible opportunity is to get the LP doubling gauntlets?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 12:53:17 AM »

You can buy them after you get to a certain point, I was in the 20 hour range when I got there. Without being spoilerish it is after the area called the Henne Mines. you should find a pair before then though.

Like I said though you will be fine even with out those gauntlets.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 01:48:01 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 11, 2007, 12:53:17 AM

You can buy them after you get to a certain point, I was in the 20 hour range when I got there. Without being spoilerish it is after the area called the Henne Mines. you should find a pair before then though.

Like I said though you will be fine even with out those gauntlets.

Good stuff dude, appreciate the advice. Last thing for now-did you concurrently level parties, level each up 5 lvls and switch, have one uber party, or what? I hate, hate, hate this aspect of JRPGs where you have to be active to get the XP-its such an unnecessary grind (but I still love it!)
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 02:04:02 AM »

Well for a good chunk of the game I never took Vaan out of the party, he pretty much got ahead by 8 or so levels. When yuo get to the Mines, or the Viera Jungle you should definitely spend some time levelling up as they will come fairly quickly. I closed to the gap down to 2 ro 3 levels by purposefully adventuring with different characters. Fortunately everyone gets LP in or out of the party. Also, power levelling is fairly easy to do in the game with some good gambits. I also used the time to accomplish other stuff, like find rare monsters, fill out the map, collect mad loot, and see how high I could get my monster chain to.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: