http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 04:59:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII reviews  (Read 4704 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2006, 05:34:55 PM »

I read the Game Informer review and it didn't seem very promising, I'm worried this one may be all flash no substance.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2006, 05:49:20 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 29, 2006, 05:34:55 PM

I read the Game Informer review and it didn't seem very promising, I'm worried this one may be all flash no substance.

If anything, I've heard the opposite. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2006, 06:25:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 29, 2006, 05:49:20 PM

Every singel solitary review I have read indicates this is one of the most substantial FFs ever...with one of the deepest, most involved, most mature plots in the entire series. SO yeah +1 to kevin.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2006, 06:34:42 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 29, 2006, 05:49:20 PM

+1

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2006, 06:55:21 PM »

wtf are you talking about, didn't GI give it a 9.25 and 9.5?

or you mean the stuff you read in the review doesn't excite you personally?  cause the GI reviewers sure liked it themselves
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2006, 07:14:20 PM »

saywhat

A few excerpts from their review:

The cast of characters is easily my favorite ensemble to date, replete with histories, conflicts, and secret motivations that will leave you in awe.

Led by a politically charged story that instantly seizes your imagination with riveting events and an extraordinary cast of characters...

The result is fast, efficient combat that is packed with strategy and dependent on characters' roles within in the team

Graphics:  One of the most breathtaking games on the PS2

While familiar enough to earn its place in this hallowed franchise, FF XII is an innovative and artful game unlike any I've ever played.

Sounds about as balanced (i.e. great combat, graphics, & story) and positive as a review could get.  Are you sure you read the right review?   icon_wink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2006, 08:05:21 PM »

if i have a single hesitation about the game, it'd be in regards to the humor factor. while i've enjoyed games that've taken themselves seriously, i've always far preferred those that add some humor to the mix (&, if you're interpreting this to mean "damn! - i wish monteblanc was a playable character!", you're catching my drift smile ). ff, by'n'large, has been pretty good at including enough odd characters/moments to sorta lighten things up a bit, & i'm just hoping that continues with ffxii...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2006, 08:17:54 PM »

Basically after reading these reviews I know I will be doing nothing but FFXII for the next few weeks. Goodbye family, friends, and forums.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2006, 11:09:41 PM »

Well, Montblanc is in the game -

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2006, 11:29:48 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 29, 2006, 11:09:41 PM

Well, Montblanc is in the game -

yeah, that's the good news...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2006, 11:35:19 PM »

I don't really look at review scores, I go off what I read in the review. This is an excerpt from the GI review that made me skeptical:

"These nagging doubts are distracting enough to keep Final Fantasy XII from ascending to the same heights as some of the previous entries..."

You would have to read the entire review to know what his doubts refer too, bit it is disheartening nonetheless.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2006, 11:41:07 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 29, 2006, 11:35:19 PM

I don't really look at review scores, I go off what I read in the review. This is an excerpt from the GI review that made me skeptical:

"These nagging doubts are distracting enough to keep Final Fantasy XII from ascending to the same heights as some of the previous entries..."

You would have to read the entire review to know what his doubts refer too, bit it is disheartening nonetheless.

If it was any other magazine than GameInformer I'd be with you, but after the "we review some games poorly if we don't think they'll be popular" bit from Paper Mario 2 reviews, I drew the line with that mag. Good for pictures and that's about it. I wouldn't put much stock in their review as many more have called it one or if not the best FF game, especially once you start working into the gambit and license systems.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2006, 12:38:13 AM »

I tend to take GI's reviews with a massive grain of salt as well, so that's understandable.  As Tebunker said, the reviews elsewhere have been overwhelmingly positive, so I'm awfully excited for it.

On a side note, I picked up the guide this afternoon and it weighs in a over 350 pages.  This thing is freaking huge!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2006, 12:40:42 AM »

? just read the entire review. It's almost completely positive.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2006, 01:41:42 AM »

I really like GameInformer as a magazine, but their RPG reviews are ludicrous.  Giving Paper Mario 2 a 6.25 was bad enough, but when Suikoden 5 scored lower than Suikoden 4, I gave up even paying attention to their scores.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2006, 02:27:44 AM »

The demo for FFXII turned me off so enormously, but here I find myself eagerly awaiting the release. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2006, 02:41:58 AM »

They gave Paper Mario a 6.25?! Seriously?! Wow... just wow.

Maybe it was on a 6 point scale!  icon_smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2006, 02:48:48 AM »

Too many good games coming out have to put it on the christmas list.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2006, 04:18:18 AM »

Quote from: JCC on October 30, 2006, 02:41:58 AM

They gave Paper Mario a 6.25?! Seriously?! Wow... just wow.

Maybe it was on a 6 point scale!  icon_smile

That pretty much undos any remaining credability they would have right there.. Paper Mario 2 is one of the best games I have ever played on a console.  Pretty much what we have is one guy referring to one line of an overly positive 2,000 line review.  Nothing to see here.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2006, 06:15:41 AM »

This video doesn't have anything to do with FF12, but since FF12 does have some throwbacks to FF6 (Espers, magicite, a certain boss) and I found this rather amusing, I thought I'd share - Kefka video.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2006, 02:02:54 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 30, 2006, 06:15:41 AM

This video doesn't have anything to do with FF12, but since FF12 does have some throwbacks to FF6 (Espers, magicite, a certain boss) and I found this rather amusing, I thought I'd share - Kefka video.

That's...just mind blowing. And not in a good way.  icon_biggrin

He does play the part well though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2006, 02:23:13 PM »

I haven't really played a Final Fantasy title all the way through since 7...I think I'll have to grab this one and squeeze in an hour here and there between taking care of our new five-month-old boy! Either that, or teach him to play!!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:30:43 PM by Poomba » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2006, 04:12:15 PM »

I plan on buying it. 

And for the record, it will be my first Final Fantasy game ever.

I wonder if I'll be coming in here asking really dumb questions like, "How do you cast a spell?"

Wait... I do that anyway, even with games I've played since the beginning of time.

:icon_confused:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2006, 07:53:23 PM »

Hopefully I'll be playing this tonight.  Thanks to a heads up by flyinj on QT3, I found out that my Best Buy has it in stock and available for in store pickup.  Just got the email that indicates it's waiting for me behind the counter.  Of course I have a Collector's Edition reserved at Gamestop for tomorrow, but since I finished up Double Agent last night, tonight seems the perfect time to start in on FFXII, plus I won't lose two or three hours of my evening to Halloween stuff like I will tomorrow night. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2006, 07:59:55 PM »

Yeah, I just did the online order thing at Besy Buy, too. Haven't received a pick-up confirmation yet, but hopefully I'll be able to pick it up tonight. I'll also take in the ad for Circuit City to see if they'll price match it.

I'd love to start playing this tonight. It'll have to wait until after MNF, though. Vikings take priority.

EDIT: I just received my pickup notification. Woo!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 08:03:37 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2006, 08:05:48 PM »

I plan on buying it. 

And for the record, it will be my first Final Fantasy game ever.

I wonder if I'll be coming in here asking really dumb questions like, "How do you cast a spell?"

Wait... I do that anyway, even with games I've played since the beginning of time.

I'm in the same boat. I think we should have 2 people on stand-by in the trading forum waiting for our copies.  icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
depward

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2006, 08:28:38 PM »

Anyone pick up the LE guide?  Is it worth the $30 or whatever?  Apparently it's not very "limited"... they have 4+ copies in the six locations nearby currently   retard

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2006, 08:29:03 PM »

BB has it now?

That should mean that EB/Gamestop should be able to sell it too, as the 'street date' has been broken...  icon_twisted

EDIT: Fuck. Just called my local BB and they are not selling it until tomorrow. Guess I'll just have to wait.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 08:37:46 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2006, 09:02:41 PM »

Quick tip when starting/playing the game, folks. Steal. One of THE first skills that you can learn. Learn it, use it on every single creature that you fight, and sell off the loot. That's about the only way you can make enough money to keep your jolly rogers decked out in the latest gear/skills/magic. Treasure chests are worth dung, and the critters themselves don't drop gil worth squat.

So again, steal. Trust me on this.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2006, 09:57:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 30, 2006, 08:29:03 PM

BB has it now?

That should mean that EB/Gamestop should be able to sell it too, as the 'street date' has been broken...  icon_twisted

EDIT: Fuck. Just called my local BB and they are not selling it until tomorrow. Guess I'll just have to wait.

Yup. Got the pick-up confirmation and went down to the store, but they refused to fill the order until tomorrow. This will be the second irritated phone call that bestbuy.com will receive from me in two weeks. Best Buy is now on my shit list (more for the irritation over driving down there for nothing rather than not being able to pick up the game), along with EB/Gamestop. I'm running out of places to buy games.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2006, 10:19:57 PM »

Quote from: depward on October 30, 2006, 08:28:38 PM

Anyone pick up the LE guide?  Is it worth the $30 or whatever?  Apparently it's not very "limited"... they have 4+ copies in the six locations nearby currently   retard

unless you're into an extra book full of pretty pictures, probably not (i like mine)...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2006, 11:39:27 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on October 30, 2006, 09:57:56 PM

Yup. Got the pick-up confirmation and went down to the store, but they refused to fill the order until tomorrow. This will be the second irritated phone call that bestbuy.com will receive from me in two weeks. Best Buy is now on my shit list (more for the irritation over driving down there for nothing rather than not being able to pick up the game), along with EB/Gamestop. I'm running out of places to buy games.

Same happened to me but I complained enough to the manager that they are going to give me an additional $10 off of the CC price match, so I'm looking at about a total cost of $25 for the game.  So I can't complain too much. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2006, 12:37:52 AM »

I picked up the strategy guide.  I think I'll sleep with it under my pillow or maybe I'll hold it close and whisper to it tonight.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2006, 12:49:24 AM »

Quote from: warning on October 31, 2006, 12:37:52 AM

I picked up the strategy guide.  I think I'll sleep with it under my pillow or maybe I'll hold it close and whisper to it tonight.
I'm still debating it. I really want to get the strat guide, but I always feel like console strat guides dont have enough info in them-is the regular guide for FF12 worth it? What do you think warning?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2006, 02:26:46 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 31, 2006, 12:49:24 AM

I'm still debating it. I really want to get the strat guide, but I always feel like console strat guides dont have enough info in them-is the regular guide for FF12 worth it? What do you think warning?

Have you seen the size of that thing?  It's huge!

I'm generally pretty happy with console RPG strat guides.  Sure they all aren't up to Double Jump standards, but they usually do the trick.  And even companies like Prima/Brady usually pull out all of the stops when it comes to Final Fantasy guides. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2006, 02:34:16 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 31, 2006, 02:26:46 AM

Have you seen the size of that thing?  It's huge!

I'm generally pretty happy with console RPG strat guides.  Sure they all aren't up to Double Jump standards, but they usually do the trick.  And even companies like Prima/Brady usually pull out all of the stops when it comes to Final Fantasy guides. 

Have you gotten it KG? If you say its good, it probably is worth getting  thumbsup
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2006, 02:46:21 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 31, 2006, 02:34:16 AM

Have you gotten it KG? If you say its good, it probably is worth getting  thumbsup

Had it my hands ready to purchase on Friday but the Gamestop clerk informed that I couldn't get the 20% discount unless I bought it at the same time as the game so I decided to wait.  Doesn't matter anymore since I'm getting the game at Best Buy instead so I sort of wished I'd gone ahead and got it.

I only glanced at it a bit in the store but it looked very comprehensive.  I usually judge a guide by how much front matter is devoted to the different systems, stats, etc before getting to the walkthrough portion and IIRC FFXII seemed to pass on that score.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2006, 02:51:30 AM »

won't WBS feel jealous?  Tongue

I may hit the local EBGames tonight to pick it up if I'm bored and still awake.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
warning

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2006, 03:08:51 AM »

It's ginormous.  340+ pages and appears full of charts, graphs, boss strategies, and more goodness.  I don't want to read it too much for fear of taking away from the game but for $20 it looks like a lot of help for a humongous game.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2006, 03:16:46 AM »

Are all EB/Gamestops having a midnight sale?  I get off work around that time and there's a couple in the general vicinity.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: