http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 02:23:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII reviews  (Read 4765 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2006, 06:40:33 AM »

Both IGN and 1Up have posted their reviews for Final Fantasy XII - 9.5 in both cases.  Is it Tuesday yet?  drool

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 07:16:34 AM »

Hott.  God this game is going to rock!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 07:21:29 AM »

So awesomely hawt! Can't wait for this baby.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 07:33:33 AM »

GameInformer - 9.25 and 9.5.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 07:54:02 AM »

I should hold off and work on some recent stuff instead.  I will try to be strong.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 08:48:22 AM »

You know you want to give in  icon_twisted  Especially when it's only $38 at Circuit City.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 10:55:53 AM »

Didn't everybody have a terrible impression of the demo?  I wonder what was changed.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 11:27:55 AM »

Most reviews mention that the battle system makes a bad first impression, but gets much better as you learn how to use it and the gambit system.  From the GI review - "I loathed it for the first few hours of play but as the game developed, so did the combat, moving from unfocused chaos to a strategy-laden work of art."

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 11:42:05 AM »

heard its been delayed in europe until february...christ i hate being european

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 12:37:52 PM »

I've played the final version - it is this good.  Our review will hit probably Wednesday so you can get your impressions before you have to put down your cash. (those who didn't pre-order anyway)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 12:46:32 PM »

Darnit! Why did it have to be good? WHY?!

I sold my PS2, and I don't feel like buying a PS3 right now, but what choice do I have? Plus I don't think I can wait for Guitar Hero II to come out for the X360, that could be the end of next year for all we know. Oh and then there is God of War 2 coming out.

Anyone selling their PS2? I'll buy it.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 01:15:01 PM »

I think this may the first and only time I ever go to a midnight release.  Since I'm taking Wednesday off, I may as well get started as early as I can.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 01:25:56 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on October 28, 2006, 12:46:32 PM

I sold my PS2, and I don't feel like buying a PS3 right now, but what choice do I have?

It will be your punishment for selling it in the first place.  Silly rabbit!  I am very hyped for the game and can't wait for it to come out this week.  I have my Collector's Edition all paid up at Gamestop, so I am all set.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 01:33:38 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 28, 2006, 01:15:01 PM

I think this may the first and only time I ever go to a midnight release.  Since I'm taking Wednesday off, I may as well get started as early as I can.

I'm highly debating on getting it Monday at midnight (as I have Tuesday off). It would give me more time to play, and I could chat with all the true Final Fantasy geeks while I wait.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 01:47:47 PM »

How many people her think the collector's edition is worth the price of entry, considering that it is $20 more expensive than the Circuit City standard version? I'm going back and forth on this one.

The CE contains:

-A VERY beautiful steel tin
-History of Final Fantasy featurette
-Art gallery
-US and Japanese trailers
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 02:00:53 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 28, 2006, 01:47:47 PM

How many people her think the collector's edition is worth the price of entry, considering that it is $20 more expensive than the Circuit City standard version? I'm going back and forth on this one.

The CE contains:

-Art gallery

Personally I don't see anything there worth spending the extra cash.   I can get all of those off the intarweb, minus the tin.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 02:17:21 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 28, 2006, 01:33:38 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 28, 2006, 01:15:01 PM

I'm highly debating on getting it Monday at midnight (as I have Tuesday off). It would give me more time to play, and I could chat with all the true Final Fantasy geeks while I wait.  icon_biggrin

Wait, is it Monday midnight or Tuesday midnight it's being released?  I'm so confused.   :icon_confused:

The CE contains:

-Art gallery

I don't see anything there worth an extra $20.  I will be buying the guide though (hopefully this afternoon), as I do for all FF games.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 02:28:04 PM »

Is this the thread where I let everyone know that I got my Final Fantasy XII Collector's Edition in the mail yesterday from EBGames?

Of course, as irony has it, I haven't had the time to play it yet because of work. But at least I know what I'll be doing this weekend!  thumbsup

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 02:30:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 28, 2006, 01:25:56 PM

Quote from: Sparhawk on October 28, 2006, 12:46:32 PM

I sold my PS2, and I don't feel like buying a PS3 right now, but what choice do I have?

It will be your punishment for selling it in the first place.  Silly rabbit!  I am very hyped for the game and can't wait for it to come out this week.  I have my Collector's Edition all paid up at Gamestop, so I am all set.

I'm stealing your PS2 RIGHT NOW!

***DISCLAIMER: I do not intend to steal Grue's PS2. So if it comes up missing in the next few days, it was not me. It was Ron Burke.***

***Message to Fellow: You're a cock-atrice.***

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 03:00:22 PM »

The only concern i personally have is with the combat system.  I have what i like to call "gaming ADD" and if its a combat system that takes some getting use to i can see myself getting frustrated early and quitting.  So my questions are......is the combat system just "different" from the traditional turn base or is it difficult to learn and after a couple hours you adjust?  I don't mind "different" and i much prefer a real time battle system, but i just don't have the patience for something complex.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 03:05:57 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on October 28, 2006, 03:00:22 PM

The only concern i personally have is with the combat system.  I have what i like to call "gaming ADD" and if its a combat system that takes some getting use to i can see myself getting frustrated early and quitting.  So my questions are......is the combat system just "different" from the traditional turn base or is it difficult to learn and after a couple hours you adjust?  I don't mind "different" and i much prefer a real time battle system, but i just don't have the patience for something complex.

Can't say for sure until the game hits, but my impression is that it should be very easy to learn because in typical Square FF fashion, they parcel out various options over the course of the first several hours.  So it starts basic and gradually gets more complex from there. 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 03:24:28 PM »

The IGN review even points out that the game takes roughly six hours or so to really kick in which would be par for the course with a Final Fantasy title. I'm on the fence on this one because I hate grinding now. I may wait until next year though because a 100-hour RPG like this will flatten any chance I have of closing out my backlog this year.

Then again, so does the combination of Jade Empire and Dark Cloud 2 belonging to said backlog. disgust

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 03:29:04 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 28, 2006, 03:24:28 PM

Then again, so does the combination of Jade Empire and Dark Cloud 2 belonging to said backlog. disgust

Jade Empire is relatively short.  Dark Cloud 2....not so short. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 03:37:01 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on October 28, 2006, 02:28:04 PM

Is this the thread where I let everyone know that I got my Final Fantasy XII Collector's Edition in the mail yesterday from EBGames?

yeah? - all i got yesterday was the deluxe version of the brady guide (which is huge & pretty, btw)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2006, 04:37:11 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on October 28, 2006, 02:28:04 PM

Of course, as irony has it, I haven't had the time to play it yet because of work. But at least I know what I'll be doing this weekend!  thumbsup

hmm.. I wonder where mine is then?  did you do the free shipping code or did you pay extra?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2006, 06:57:40 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 28, 2006, 08:48:22 AM

You know you want to give in  icon_twisted  Especially when it's only $38 at Circuit City.
38?! eek   

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2006, 07:16:41 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on October 28, 2006, 06:57:40 PM

Quote from: EddieA on October 28, 2006, 08:48:22 AM

38?! eek   
"
Yeah 38. I am so there...I really want the midnight launch and all, but I can get it first thing in the morning at CC. I likely will pick up the collectors edition strat guide at EB though....god reading through the reviews basically assuaged any of the fears I had about hte combat system, and now I can't freaking wait to play. GG Squenix, GG sir.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2006, 07:24:43 PM »

"Wait, is it Monday midnight or Tuesday midnight it's being released?  I'm so confused."
It would be Monday midnight, but only some Gamestops/EBs are doing the midnight release.  The game has already been shipped to stores, so unless they're really slow in getting new releases, most stores should have it available Tuesday morning.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2006, 06:20:01 AM »

Took some shots with my crappy ass camera to spread the lovin'.

The famed $20+ extra cover.

The inside, with the (full color) manual, and 2 discs.

And the full monty.

Also, because a thread wouldn't be complete without a few in-game shots with the same crappy ass camera...

I press Start butan.

Squaresoft cutscene time! Just look at that pretty face. It's like a cupcake. Not the bad kind, with that nasty stuff on top of it, but the good kind that you can get on that one mom & pop shop on 5th avenue right next to Starbucks.

I CAN'T FOLLOW ALL THESE DIFFICULT DIRECTIONS STOP SHOUTING AT ME AAAH THE PRESSURE!

Dude, you just showed me how to walk, and now you want me to do what?!? And for the love of all that's good, why is the speech bubble so happy about all of this???

And there it is! On a quick sidenote, I'm really liking the voice acting on this one so far, which is almost unheard of for me, when it comes to jrpgs.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2006, 06:25:13 AM »

Dude, Fellow, those pictures rock   icon_biggrin  I WANT MY GAME WTF!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2006, 06:45:38 AM »

OMFG FF12 screens look so hot!! Fellow htf did you get this?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2006, 08:49:14 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 28, 2006, 03:24:28 PM

dude, stop what you are doing and play Jade Empire NOW!!! Emperor CeeKay demands it!!!!  icon_twisted

I have the CE pre-ordered.  That's all the local EB had available if I wanted to get it on release day, and it's only 10 bucks more.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 08:50:47 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2006, 12:16:49 PM »

I am going to wait a bit on this one.  I got X and X-2 and didnt like either.  So I will wait to see what this one is like, if its like those, I dont think it will be something that I will get.  I am trying to avoid the FE for this one. 
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2006, 12:58:19 PM »

Fortunately I have 2 friends who are picking it up.  I can watch them and get a feel for the game without having to spend anything.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2006, 02:43:39 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 28, 2006, 07:24:43 PM

"Wait, is it Monday midnight or Tuesday midnight it's being released?  I'm so confused."
It would be Monday midnight, but only some Gamestops/EBs are doing the midnight release.  The game has already been shipped to stores, so unless they're really slow in getting new releases, most stores should have it available Tuesday morning.

Thanks Eddie.  I'm going over to pick up the guide this afternoon, so I'll confirm it then.

Damn that looks good Fellow.  And yes, we all hate you a little bit.   icon_wink

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2006, 03:25:10 PM »

Fellow, I hate you.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2006, 03:51:05 PM »

I bask in the warmth of all your hate.  icon_smile

weleavefossils - Yup, I went with the 3-day free shipping deal. Originally I had 2-day shipping, but when they offered free 3-day, I figured what the hey, I'm already spending all this money, so I may as well try and cut back on shipping. Go figure.

Calvin - I can only guess that it's probably my good looks, and charming personality, which lead this game to my doorsteps. Actually... Screw "probably", it's definitely my good looks, and charming personality.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2006, 04:00:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 29, 2006, 08:49:14 AM

I have the CE pre-ordered.  That's all the local EB had available if I wanted to get it on release day, and it's only 10 bucks more.

*Only* $10 more?  Thats enough for 2-3 used PS2 games and for what, a prettier case?   retard

Anyway, from everyone I have talked to that has played this, it is looking like this is console GoTY.  In the age of next generation consoles, that is a pretty big achievement imo.  I am sure glad the kids are getting the PS2+Games for Xmas, I can toss this game on my Xmas wants list and have a relative pick it up.  thumbsup thumbsup

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2006, 04:07:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 29, 2006, 08:49:14 AM

FWIW, every store and their mother are going to have this in on released day.  Best Buy, Target, and Circuit City were all advertising in store Tuesday (same day as EB) in their circulars today.  If you want the game on Tuesday, you'll be able to find it easily without having to fork over the extra $10 if you don't want to. 
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2006, 04:08:54 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on October 29, 2006, 03:51:05 PM

I bask in the warmth of all your hate.  icon_smile

weleavefossils - Yup, I went with the 3-day free shipping deal. Originally I had 2-day shipping, but when they offered free 3-day, I figured what the hey, I'm already spending all this money, so I may as well try and cut back on shipping. Go figure.

I figured I'd be waiting a week extra because I pre-ordered it online.  So there is hope I might have in tomorrow or tuesday. 

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: