http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:10:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII Impressions  (Read 30429 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: May 30, 2008, 05:19:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 30, 2008, 05:16:34 PM

I got about 40 hours in and had taken a break for 3-4 months.  When I prepared to start it again I watched all of the cinematics from some FF fan site.  They're so well done I didn't mind and it was a great way to get caught up.

That's a great idea! I'll have to look them up and watch them over the weekend.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 30, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 30, 2008, 05:16:34 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on May 30, 2008, 04:19:57 PM

The only other disappointment I have with the game is my own fault. Since I put the game down for a year, I basically forget  everything that happened with the plot. I remembered all the characters, of course, and their basic personalities and motivations, but I forgot a ton of stuff, enough to the point where I was scratching my head through some of the closing cinematics.

I got about 40 hours in and had taken a break for 3-4 months.  When I prepared to start it again I watched all of the cinematics from some FF fan site.  They're so well done I didn't mind and it was a great way to get caught up.

What's cool about the gambit system is that when you come back from an extended hiatus you've still got all of your previous strategies set so it helps ease you back in. 

yeah, the gambit system is like the best mechanic ever
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 30, 2008, 11:05:52 PM »

After an extended hiatus, I finally finished this yesterday. I started playing this last May, put in close to 60 hours on the game through August of last year, and then picked up the game again last week. My final save was 80+ hours and I left a lot on the table. I on;y did half of the hunts, and there were a ton of optional areas that I never visited.

that sounds just like my game

i also think FF12 was better than 10,the gambits although i loved them,made the game very,very easy..i hardly had to do anything,but find enemies and they were killed before they could lift a finger...as i have said prolly somewhere before,one boss fight didnt even get a look-in on my party,as they had killed him so fast(it was one of the judges at some temple or other if i remember rightly)

levelling up(can i actually say this about a final fantasy game?)was a joy

the only real downside to the game was the lead character,i found him very boring,and wanting Tidus back(who i also can't stand)...and am i being too soppy?....no love story between the gang
also although i liked the whole thing going on with Basch,the rest of the story didnt grip me like usual FFs

everything else was perfect

FF7,9 and 12 are my only completed FFs

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 30, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 30, 2008, 11:05:52 PM

the only real downside to the game was the lead character,i found him very boring,and wanting Tidus back(who i also can't stand)

that's the thing... Vaan isn't really the lead character.  there is no lead character in FF12

I didn't like Vaan either, but he was the only one out of the whole protaganist cast that I didn't like, so that's better than usual
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 31, 2008, 01:45:29 AM »

I maintain that Vaan and Penelo are the C3PO and R2D2 of FFXII, not the Luke and Leia. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 31, 2008, 02:22:16 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 30, 2008, 04:39:20 PM

I have to say that, on balance, I thought this game was a near masterpiece, and an improvement on FFX in every way, shape and form. My only criticisms are with the pacing--there isn't much story to keep you going through the end and the last dungeon was anticlimactic and way too long. I also share the criticisms of the license board. There really isn't enough variety in the board and all the characters generally end up as similar jack-of-all-trades

FFXII is waaaay better than FFX

but yeah, as far as the license board, that is somewhat true...especially for power RPGers like me who want to do every single thing, then every character ends up pretty much the same

You're WRONG. AND FIRED! Different, sure, better in some ways, sure. Awesome, both of them are. For fucking sure. I'm going to replay both sometime soon, when I get over hating games.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 31, 2008, 02:35:34 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 31, 2008, 02:22:16 AM

Quote from: KePoW on May 30, 2008, 04:39:20 PM

I have to say that, on balance, I thought this game was a near masterpiece, and an improvement on FFX in every way, shape and form. My only criticisms are with the pacing--there isn't much story to keep you going through the end and the last dungeon was anticlimactic and way too long. I also share the criticisms of the license board. There really isn't enough variety in the board and all the characters generally end up as similar jack-of-all-trades

FFXII is waaaay better than FFX

but yeah, as far as the license board, that is somewhat true...especially for power RPGers like me who want to do every single thing, then every character ends up pretty much the same

You're WRONG. AND FIRED! Different, sure, better in some ways, sure. Awesome, both of them are. For fucking sure. I'm going to replay both sometime soon, when I get over hating games.

I agree.  They both have their strong and weak points, but it would be impossible for me to say one is significantly better than the other.

I maintain that Vaan and Penelo are the C3PO and R2D2 of FFXII, not the Luke and Leia.

Yup.  I'd say the main characters were Ashe and Basch, even though they weren't the backsides you spent all game looking at.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 31, 2008, 02:54:01 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 30, 2008, 11:28:00 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 30, 2008, 11:05:52 PM

the only real downside to the game was the lead character,i found him very boring,and wanting Tidus back(who i also can't stand)

that's the thing... Vaan isn't really the lead character.  there is no lead character in FF12

I didn't like Vaan either, but he was the only one out of the whole protaganist cast that I didn't like, so that's better than usual

okay then,let me put it another way...the only downside was the character you controlled going through most of the areas in FF12 i found him very boring,and wanting Tidus back(who i also can't stand)

is that better?,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 21, 2009, 09:45:43 PM »

I just picked this one up.  Took a long hiatus from JRPGs because I really can't stand them although from time to time I convince myself that I can. 

Wow!

This one is different!  I am totally hooked!  The story actually makes sense.  The characters have consistent and believable motivations.  The combat system is extremely fun.  The pacing feels great: a nice balance between story development, level-grinding, sidequesting (including hunts) and inventory management.  Indeed, grinding levels is as fun here as in the best action-rpgs.  I'm not that far in (characters around lvl 20) but if it remains this engaging, I'll have a new entry in my personal canon of greatest all-time games.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 21, 2009, 10:29:04 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on February 21, 2009, 09:45:43 PM

I'm not that far in (characters around lvl 20) but if it remains this engaging, I'll have a new entry in my personal canon of greatest all-time games.
I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't.  smile  FF XII was easily the best JRPG of the PS2 generation, and has yet to face anything near it this generation either.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
KC

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 22, 2009, 10:53:45 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 21, 2009, 10:29:04 PM

Quote from: Hotfreak on February 21, 2009, 09:45:43 PM

I'm not that far in (characters around lvl 20) but if it remains this engaging, I'll have a new entry in my personal canon of greatest all-time games.
I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't.  smile  FF XII was easily the best JRPG of the PS2 generation, and has yet to face anything near it this generation either.

I also thought that the game was great and finished in about 80 hours.  Now that I think about it though, I prefer all of my games to be substantially complete in the 40-50 hour range.  I'm older with wife and kids and many other commitments and can only get about 5 hours of gaming in a week at best.  I don't want to be playing games for 4 or 5 months to completion.  There are too many other great games out there.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 23, 2009, 01:49:19 AM »

I'm also playing through this for the first time right now. The combat really grabbed me, but now after about 17 hours of playing I am running into some of the same problems I have always had with RPGs. The types of issues that have prevented me from ever finishing a turn-based RPG.

The one thing I am definitely not clear on is when I'm supposed to just be grinding vs. when it is ok to go on with the story and approach the bosses. The area I am trying to finish up...

Spoiler for Hiden:
the Tomb, throws 4 bosses at you in pretty quick succession - the bird guarding the tomb, the wall guardian, the first esper guardian and finally Vossler. The first of these was easy after I backtracked and discovered what the game wanted me to do (get the berries), but all the bosses after that have followed a similar pattern: get completely wrecked the first time, make some adjustments, get wrecked again, and eventually come up with a solution that works.

For example, the door guardian put blindness on everyone, so I went back to the merchant and got accessories for everyone that prevented blindness. With the buttons that slow down the wall, I was able to finally beat the wall without too much trouble.

The esper guardian used a lot of fire, so I set up everyone to spam him with water magic and was able to get rid of him after a few tries.

Vossler I still haven't beaten yet. I have probably tried him 10 times and I can consistently get him down to about an inch worth of health left, and a couple of times have basically had him down to one last hit when I simply ran out of characters. I start with Vaan, Fran and Balthier. Vaan tosses a warp mote which quickly gets rid of his henchman, and then I have Vaan hit Vossler with the Blood Sword, which hits him with sap. I then turn on Vaan's gambits which has him down potions when he goes below 50%, which ties Vossler up while Balthier and Fran use ranged attacks and Fran does an occassional cure of Vaan. This very quickly gets Vossler down to 25% or less, but I only have 8 potions, so Vaan eventually bites it, and then all hell breaks loose. Vossler goes after Fran, which allows Baltair to keep working him down, but after a while there's nothing I can to keep Vossler from running all over me. I can use Phoenix downs to get Vaan back, but he won't last long, and all the other characters are basically useless, because without constant curing/potions, Vossler cuts right through them. I believe he goes into berserk at the end which means he is knocking 300-400 points off at times. And he uses reflect, so it's basically impossible to use magic/magic items against him.

I wish I had haste for Balthier, because that would probably make the difference, but I have neglected to buy it so far. I gave in and looked up a boss FAQ, and the person who wrote it suggests that you level up to 18 or 19 before fighting Vossler. Well, there's a problem - my characters are all level 14 and 15. But how was I supposed to know that? I spent a lot of time fighting, including a lot of time crossing the desert and backtracking to get the berries. I guess the idea of grinding is the thing I am not used to. It's certainly not much fun, and I even thought I was grinding during my time in the desert. I had a 75+ chain going on my way, and I certainly could have just fled through parts. But now I am close to stuck because there's very little I can do to get past Vossler. There's no merchant to go to and no sure way to get extra potions (I also think I could probably make it if I just had 2 or 3 more potions for Vaan to give the ranged attacks more time). I actually did a little grinding back in the tomb, and I didn't wind up with anything useful, not even a potion.

I think my last chance is to use the esper somewhere in the fight. I tried to earlier on and nothing happened so I thought maybe you couldn't use it there. However, in the FAQ they suggest using it, so I must have just done something wrong.

So I am a bit frustrated because I thought I was doing things right (I have even finished 4 hunts, so I am not just going right at the story - I tried a 5th, but got wiped out, so I moved on) but now I am stuck again in an RPG. I guess if I had started out looking at a strategy guide it would have helped, but that's just not how I like to play games. If I need to look at a strategy guide to make it through, what's the point in playing the game? I might as well just watch the cutscenes.

UPDATE: I managed to get past the spot described in the above spoiler.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I read a couple of pages at the start of this thread and realized I had a lot of license points sitting around. I unlocked a lot of things for Vaan, Balthier and Fran and that seemed to get me the little extra I needed to get by Vossler. They still wound up KOed at the end, along with Ashe, but Penelo and Basche were able to finish the last bit off.

I do wonder, do you get anything for killing a boss? There is no indication of it on-screen. And if so, do KOed party members lose out? IIRC, this is what happens to KOed characters in FFVII.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:00:47 AM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 23, 2009, 04:36:44 AM »

I strongly suspect that I'll be finally playing through this one next.  I've had it since launch (couldn't resist the gorgeous special edition case), but never played more than five hours.

I'm currently halfway through Persona 3, having piled 40 hours into that one in the past two weeks, so I figure another three weeks should get me through it.  I don't think I've ever played a game that much in so short a time.  Of course, 20 hours of that was in the last 4-5 days while my GF was out of town, and I was able to play almost non-stop for Saturday and Sunday, staying up til 4am both nights.  Haven't done that in a while.  biggrin

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 23, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 23, 2009, 01:49:19 AM

I do wonder, do you get anything for killing a boss? There is no indication of it on-screen. And if so, do KOed party members lose out? IIRC, this is what happens to KOed characters in FFVII.
License points but not xp, so ko-ed members are fine.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, my characters were all around 18-19 for the demon wall.  I killed it on the first go, losing a couple.  The boss casts an instant kill spell and one that drains all the mp from one of your characters.  I can't imagine getting through this without a loss unless you get really lucky with quickenings.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:28:44 PM by Hotfreak » Logged

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 23, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on February 23, 2009, 05:23:29 PM

Quote from: Teggy on February 23, 2009, 01:49:19 AM

License points but not xp, so ko-ed members are fine.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, my characters were all around 18-19 for the demon wall.  I killed it on the first go, losing a couple.  The boss casts an instant kill spell and one that drains all the mp from one of your characters.  I can't imagine getting through this without a loss unless you get really lucky with quickenings.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Do you mean the x-zone spell? I went in with I think Vaan, Balthier, Fran and Vossler (guest) and they were all around level 15 at the time, I think. I equipped them all with the anti-blindness accessory and got through with just those guys. At the end Fran was in the x-zone. I actually haven't even used a quickening yet. I didn't discover one until after I had defeated the first esper.

After finishing up this part I went off and killed another mark and am going to try one of the guild ones. Now my characters are all about level 17. Hopefully I will find some things to do before continuing on with the story (all the other marks on the board were type 2, so I probably don't want to go there) so I will be in better shape for the next part.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: