http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 04:05:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII Impressions  (Read 30203 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 19, 2006, 05:22:21 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 19, 2006, 05:08:34 PM

Well i decided to go do some hunts and stay away from the main story and i'm feeling better about the game.  I think i'm gonna just look at it as a long term game and no reason to rush it.

Now.......Bashe has gotten Silence on him and i can't get it off.  Save crystals don't cure it, potion won't cure it, and nobody's spell cures it.   He's had it on for quite some time and it won't leave.  Only thing i have noticed is he has an accessory that makes him slightly immune to all effects and when i look at it's stats, it has "silence" equipped written underneath it.  I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but i can't even take this item off him to see.  Anyone know why this is happening and what to do about it?

The Vox spell cures silence, and there's also an item that does it (Echo Herbs, I think).   I'm not sure what accessory you're referring to, but my guess is it's a "trade-off" item:  spell immunity for not being able to cast spells.  Good for fighters, bad for mages.  Can't you unequip it through the menu?

Secondly, how is everyone managing their characters while leveling?  Vaan is my highest at 16 and the rest are 15 and even a couple at 12.  I'd like to keep a core group at or around the same level, but i can't see myself constantly switching them out to level as this would take forever to do.  So should i just pick a set of members and level them all together?  Right now i like Vaan, Ashe, Bashe, and Fran.  Vaan and Bashe are my tanks and, Ashe my mage, and Fran is a mage/ranged.  How should i concentrate on leveling a group?

Totally depends on your play style.  I've been very particular about keeping all mine at the same level (31 hours in, and everyone is at 26).  It's a big deal for me to be able to swap out characters during a fight and not lose anything.  On the negative side, the group as a whole is probably underpowered compared to what it could be if I only levelled a group of 3 characters.  I know some others here have been levelling one group way out in front of the others.  That works too, as long as you don't ever have to switch anyone out in battles.   My way will probably take longer, but I feel better about my party.

I've mainly been trying to keep them at the same level because many of the previous FF games have had sections or battles where you are required to use certain characters.  If those characters are under-developed at the expense of creating a uber-group, then you're pretty much out of luck.  I'm not sure if FFXII will do this, but better safe than sorry.   icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 05:24:07 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 19, 2006, 05:44:03 PM »

Yeah, you need to unequip that accessory to get rid of the silence. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 19, 2006, 05:46:11 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 19, 2006, 05:22:21 PM

I've mainly been trying to keep them at the same level because many of the previous FF games have had sections or battles where you are required to use certain characters.  If those characters are under-developed at the expense of creating a uber-group, then you're pretty much out of luck.  I'm not sure if FFXII will do this, but better safe than sorry.   icon_smile

i started off keeping everyone no more than 5 levels apart because of that, but have had enough nasty encounters at ths point, both hunting & storywise, to justify doing it even if those special events never happen - being able to call in good reenforcements makes a huge difference as you get further into the game...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 19, 2006, 05:56:28 PM »

I've tried to unequip that thing and i can't.  It's greyed out and i can't swap it out or anything.  I've tried using Vox and the potions from other characters but it won't work.  Gotta figure out how to unequip it i guess.

Not sure how i want to level my group.  I definitely prefer Vaan, Bashe, Fran, and Ashe.   

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: November 19, 2006, 05:56:45 PM »

My main 3 are 61 and the rest at 38.. I'm trying to keep everyone within 25 levels. slywink The ones at 38 with the double LP items equipped have over 6k license points in case I ever decide to use them /giggle.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 19, 2006, 06:50:11 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 19, 2006, 05:56:28 PM

I've tried to unequip that thing and i can't.  It's greyed out and i can't swap it out or anything.  I've tried using Vox and the potions from other characters but it won't work.  Gotta figure out how to unequip it i guess.

Not sure how i want to level my group.  I definitely prefer Vaan, Bashe, Fran, and Ashe.   

You have to unequip it.  I am not sure why you cannot.  I equiped it on Fran when I first got it because...well it looked like a pretty cool accessory, but I quickly noticed that it had to go.  Heck even my non-magic folks have learned cure just to help out.  Nobody in my party can wear it.

As for leveling there seems to be no place where you have to use certain characters so you can ignore the ones you don't like.  There seem to be two plans.

1. level up only 3 of them.  This saves money because you only have to equip three people.  They level faster because they are always in the fights.

2. level up everyone.  You can swap in people when fights are tough.  You get to learn more stuff because you can have six people going different ways.

In the end it seems totally up to the individual.  I am going for all six because I like to try different stuff (weapons, spells, etc.) but I don't think it matters in game terms.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: November 19, 2006, 07:18:03 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 19, 2006, 05:56:28 PM

Try using the "Remove" command in the equip interface.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2006, 02:20:28 PM »

Played a few more hours over the weekend.  Did a few hunts.  Overall I am still not happy with the license board and equipment.  I have to go through a lot of spots for stuff I don't want to get license for things I do, which means it is about impossible to only buy what you use.  For example to get Daggers 4, you have to go through Crossbows and Ninja swords, or some poles and hand bombs. Daggers just don't all link together.  Or to get the final Swiftness you have to go through one Battle Lore...well what if my character doesn't use physical attacks?   That is fine but it means no matter how careful you are you will have to waste some LP on stuff you never intend to use.   Another good example is the path to get the Golden Amulet license.  Everyone will want that since it doubles the LP given but you have to go through a lot of stuff you may never want your character to wear to get there. 

I am also finding it hard to keep a character focused on one weapon type.  Daggers are a good example.  There are just not a lot of high powered daggers available to buy yet so I either have to keep my character with a lower powered weapon or get a license for something which is available.

All in all I love the game but I am not completely sold on the layout for the license board or how they release new weapons/armor/accessories. 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 20, 2006, 02:30:13 PM »

My biggest gripe with equipment is the lack of information you receive when buying it.  This is especially bad for armor.  All you see is a single stat (either defense or magic defense increase), but there is no mention of anything else.  Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that mages can be uber-powerful if they are in the correct armor set.  Problem is, the game provides no detail or feedback that would indicate this.  For all I know from the item descriptions, I'd do just as well to have my mages decked out in Heavy Armor!  I can't help but feel my characters could be more powerful if I gave them the right equipment, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what that equipment should be.

I'm also sort of kicking myself for developing Basch as a hammer character.  The damage amounts vary so wildly with hammers, and it really looks like overall they're less powerful that other weapons.  Sure, it's great when he hits for 1100 damage, but when it's followed up with a 28 and a 110, it really starts to lose it's lustre.  Especially when Vaan is doing a very consistent damage amount with his sword.  I think I should probably start moving Basch towards something else.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: November 20, 2006, 02:43:49 PM »

I should put up a picture of my license board overview. If farley thinks he's wasting points he should see what I've done. smile I'm navigating the license board blind though, so I have at least some semblance of an excuse. I've also completed ~34 hunts now which translates to a LOT of extra killing and extra LPs so I haven't had to worry about it too much. I've gained 12 levels since the last time I touched the storyline. I wonder why the storyline stuff seems so easy. slywink

As far as equipment goes, on the armor it's generally pretty straightforward. Heavy armor for a tank, medium for a damage dealer and light for the mage. I may have the names wrong, but I won't let that slow me down. There are exceptions. I've equipped my damage dealer in the mage stuff on occassion because the speed stat turned out so high. Currently I have two people in Heavy and one in Cloth/Mage/Light, i think the medium/leather is the best for HPs, but with 4k HPs each I don't care much.

I do get annoyed at the way weapon upgrades are doled out, not from a license perspective but from a shop availability perspective. I guess it keeps me from becoming too overpowered but in 58 hours I've seen very few weapon upgrades.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 20, 2006, 03:00:03 PM »

Armor explained:

Light- provides a HP bonus in additional to Defense.  Best used early in the game where the number of hitpoints a character has is probably more important than their defense rating.  Later in the game the HP boosts become a much smaller percentage of a characters overall HP, so at that point best to move tanks to Heavy Armor.  Ranged characters can safely stay in light. 

Heavy- Higher Defense rating than light but no HP boost (see above). 

Mystic- If you use a dedicated mage (ie nothing but magic attacks) this is best since the character won't be coming under attack much, so the magic power boost is more than worth the lack of defense.

Weapons- much more complicated.  Probably best to find a FAQ but from what I can think of now:

Swords- most basic calculation- Sword's attack rating along with character's strength compared against enemy's defense.

Daggers and other light weapons- Strength rating is ignored, I believe, and character's speed rating is used instead.  Also has the ability to combo.  Theoretically the most powerful weapons in the game because the max damage for other weapons caps at 9999 but light weapons can go higher because of the combo potential.

Axes and Hammers- Like swords but damage is highly variable.  In general should average out to be about the same damage as an equivalent sword though I think there might be augments/spells you can use to increase the number of higher numbers (Beserk seems to do this but I can't say for certain).

Guns- Enemy defense rating is completely ignored in the damage calculation.  That's why the attack ratings on guns are always so much smaller than other weapons. 

Staves- Provide a boost to magic attack power.  Not so good for actual melee damage but if equipped to a dedicated mage will boost the effect that spells have.

I forget the rest but some weapons (Maces I think) use a character's magic power instead of strength for the damage calculation so it's  a good choice for anyone who wants their magic user to melee. Measures are mainly used for buffs- their attack power is almost nil but they bestow beneficial status effects (which don't consume mp) so you use them to target your own party to provide the necessary buffs. 

Again, there has to be a FAQ out there somewhere.  It's all outlined in the strat guide but I completely agree with Gratch that the game should make this clear in the Buy/Sell interface.  Some of it is explained in the Traveller's Tips section of the Clan Primer, but not all of it I believe.

Mystic- Provides a bonus to the Magic Power stat.  Lower defense rating than the other two but if your caster
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 20, 2006, 03:15:29 PM »

Light armor also tends to give more boosts to SPD and VIT, while heavy gives bigger boosts on DEF and STR. So the weapon type you want to use will influence which armor you want to use.

Additionally, don't overlook poles as a fantastic option for hard-hitting weapons with high combo potential. I've got Penelo decked out in heavy armor and wielding poles. I originally had her going with spears (and still switch her to that on occasion), but she's awesome as a pole fighter.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2006, 04:41:06 AM »

I was down to five hunts in my book, all tier 7. I took out one of them without any problem at all. Down to 4 hunts, 2 of them are elites from MontBlanc, so I went to the closest one of the two non-elites... holy crap. Remember how you went after that first mark way before you should have and he beat you like a red-headed step-child? Fafnir made my level 62 group with a level 52 guest look like those level 1 wolves in the Giza plains fighting Sephiroth.. owie!!!! I guess I'm off to advance the story. After that encounter I'm thinking I'm done with marks for a bit.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2006, 05:11:41 AM »

I think the last few hunts serve as the "Weapons" in this game, i.e. by far the hardest fights in the game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 22, 2006, 03:47:47 PM »

Anyone had luck with the gambit - enemy = flying use = aero?  I thought it would be a great way to kill flying monsters but the two characters who have it just seem to sit there staring like idiots when I have it set. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 22, 2006, 03:50:56 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 22, 2006, 03:47:47 PM

Anyone had luck with the gambit - enemy = flying use = aero?  I thought it would be a great way to kill flying monsters but the two characters who have it just seem to sit there staring like idiots when I have it set. 

Are you sure they are flying enemies? It's kind of stupid but some enemies that have flapping wings and are off the ground aren't technically flying.  If they are actually classified as flying then there will be a wings icon up by their name. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: November 22, 2006, 03:58:20 PM »

I have enemy=flying, use telekinesis and it works perfectly. Flying enemies are a lot easier now that I can hit them slywink

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 22, 2006, 04:04:41 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 22, 2006, 03:47:47 PM

well,... if you follow that gambit up with an leader target / nearest target = attack, that ought to at least get rid of the standing around part...

like kevin says, all flying enemies are not 'flying enemies' (mostly wyverns/birds)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 24, 2006, 01:26:44 AM »

34 hunts, 10 espers, everyone at 60, & i've reached the last save point...

as twisted & theatrical & well done as the main storyline's been, it oddly enough, compared to past ffs, feels somewhat abbreviated at this point, almost as tho stuff was left out - but,... when i look at the game as basically the convergence of 2 concurrent stories, ashe's (main) & vaan's (pretty much everything else, on his path to sky piracy), i realize why that doesn't really bother me, & just how beautifully the whole thing's been executed - how the hunts & side-quests have really fleshed out the main storyline (& ivalice) in a way that the mini-games of previous ffs never really did. it might be a simpler story, but it's been a much more substantial one (if that makes any sense), which, for me (after however many hours), has made for a consistently enjoyable, never boring, game...

back to #35...

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: November 24, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »

The last time I played, I wiped for the first time in about 30 levels and it wasn't even agaisnt a boss (I hate disease). I think I'm pretty much closing in on the final set of fights at 65th level and ~63 hours. I'm running out of steam.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2006, 02:08:39 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 21, 2006, 05:11:41 AM

I think the last few hunts serve as the "Weapons" in this game, i.e. by far the hardest fights in the game.

Not quite...

There is one mean SOB out there that will tear your party a new one and make those final hunts seem trivial.

*SPOILERS*

Omega Mark XII is its name.  LvL 99. 10,000,000 + HP.

I just defeated Hell Wyrm last night, it took my party 2 hours to kill him. He has over 8,000,000 hitpoints and believe me, I felt all 8 million of them. He wasn't hard in a survival sense, but just difficult to endure such a long battle. I had a couple of instances where the party was wiped, but you can bring in your reserves, run outside of the battleground, revive your main characters, and then go back in.

When I go back to beat the game with my super characters, the final boss(s) will be so very easy lol. Nto that they're hard now, but I can't believe how easy the final boss is, and with level 90+ characters Vayne will seem absolutely pathetic. Pretty normal for the final bosses in FF to be somewhat easy since the hardest bosses have always been hidden away in previous games too, but damn, Vayne is a kitten. Ol' Seph in FF7 atleast put up a damn good fight.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 02:11:48 PM by Sparhawk » Logged

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2006, 07:41:12 PM »

monkeyed around with ffiii yesterday, realized maybe it was time to move on, & went ahead & finished yesterday...

gonna have to wait, & put a little distance between me & the game, before deciding where it rates on the ff scale of greatness, & am not ready to goty it against okami, as that'd be like comparing a novel to a haiku, but i didn't have more fun with a game this year than i had with ffxii. i never really got tired of playing it - ever! - which is pretty amazing, & am pretty sure i'll be back for those remaining hunts/espers one of these days (too many damn games right now!)...

& yeah, sparhawk:
Spoiler for Hiden:
the final boss was pretty much all about durability, & certainly no more challenging, really, than the last couple hunts/espers i did - sephiroth (or kefka) he definitely was not (tho his tetsuo-like transformation & showmanship was impressive smile )...

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 27, 2006, 12:52:33 PM »

I'm hitting a point of frustration right now in the way the game is progressing.  I'm 43 hours in and am currently:
Spoiler for Hiden:
sneaking back into Arcadia
.  Problem is, it seems like they completely abandoned the story around 10 hours ago.   It's felt like a tacked on 5 minutes of story for every 1-2 hours of fighting.  I've lost any sort of emotional investment in the characters, as they're essentially just shuttling me from one place to the next.  Compare that to, say, FFX or Shadow Hearts where the main impetus behind continuing is wanting to know what happens to the characters you have come to care about.  Hell, half the time I don't even remember why I'm going to the next section, only that it's where the game is pushing me.  Thankfully, I still really enjoy the combat & levelling aspects, so I'm sure I'll keep playing.

After such a strong start to the story and characters, having it completely abandoned like this is extremely dissapointing.   Does it pick up at all, or should I just get used to this?

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 27, 2006, 05:39:01 PM »

That's weird Gratch; I felt more that way about FFX than I do about FFXII so far. icon_biggrin

This one still feels more like FFVI than any of the others in the series. Which is a good thing for me. icon_wink

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 27, 2006, 08:28:53 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 27, 2006, 05:39:01 PM

That's weird Gratch; I felt more that way about FFX than I do about FFXII so far. icon_biggrin

This one still feels more like FFVI than any of the others in the series. Which is a good thing for me. icon_wink
I dont understand people that say that about FFX? Were you just missing the story in there? FFX is constantly filled with great story, character interaction, etc. I mean, I am not busting on your Farscry, you know my obsession with FFX-its just..there is so much story!!
unbreakable
« Reply #305 on: November 27, 2006, 08:59:46 PM »

OMG, a two hour battle?  I don't know whether that's f'ing great or f'ing not... but it's sure f'ing something.
unbreakable
« Reply #306 on: November 27, 2006, 09:07:50 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 25, 2006, 07:41:12 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
the final boss was pretty much all about durability, & certainly no more challenging, really, than the last couple hunts/espers i did - sephiroth (or kefka) he definitely was not (tho his tetsuo-like transformation & showmanship was impressive smile )...

By the end of both of those games I was so hideously overpowered, neither fight was very difficult.

Spoiler for Hiden:
FF7 especially, but I did pretty much every sidequest and had at least two of every master materia.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 27, 2006, 09:15:39 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 27, 2006, 08:28:53 PM

Quote from: Farscry on November 27, 2006, 05:39:01 PM

I dont understand people that say that about FFX? Were you just missing the story in there? FFX is constantly filled with great story, character interaction, etc. I mean, I am not busting on your Farscry, you know my obsession with FFX-its just..there is so much story!!

That's how I felt about FFX as well.  There was always something story-wise that kept pulling you forward.  There was also a lot more character interaction and dialogue than there has been in FFXII so far.

FWIW, it's only been the last 1/4 of FFXII I've played that has felt this way.  Hopefully the story will pick back up once I get to the next locale and  I can shake this feeling.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 27, 2006, 11:44:13 PM »

Don't misunderstand me; I loved FFX as well. I'm not hating on it at all. icon_biggrin

However, I just felt too often in FFX that, while there were a lot of story sequences, there wasn't a whole lot happening. Yes, I enjoyed the story, but it just felt a little too much like I was being pulled along by the nose without a whole lot of eventfulness going on aside from a few key moments in the game.

In FFXII, it's got a hugely driving plot to a very specific point, then it seems to give the player a breather to work on questing and powering up while they journey to the next place (this is the point I'm at; fair bit of levelling & such going on but I'm loving it).  Feels sort of like that dichotomy between the World of Balance (driving plot portion) and World of Ruin (sidequesting/powering up with occasional plot forwarding) in FFVI.

There's a lot of other things that feel very FFVI-ey to me. That's probably why I'm loving it so much!

If I had to pick a "stinker" FF game it'd be FFVIII, though I enjoyed that one too. It's just a bit more monotonous on replays with that horrid Draw system. I hate the Draw system. I love the Junction system though. icon_wink

unbreakable
« Reply #309 on: November 28, 2006, 08:54:11 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 27, 2006, 11:44:13 PM

If I had to pick a "stinker" FF game it'd be FFVIII, though I enjoyed that one too. It's just a bit more monotonous on replays with that horrid Draw system. I hate the Draw system. I love the Junction system though. icon_wink

Yeah, forcing you to sit in battles and just steal magic... I'm amazed that system even made it through playtesting.  Another side-effect of the Draw was that you never used the magic, you only used it to boost stats (especially Ultima).

It did allow low-level runs, which was interesting.  And a lot of their other innovations were pretty cool (like level-based steal, and especially the card game).  It's too bad they never got to flesh out the game how they envisioned: I heard the "flashback" sequences were supposed to be a significant part of the game, but were cut to simply plot advancing devices.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 04, 2006, 07:13:02 AM »

Only around 23 hours in, but it feels like I've only scratched the surface.  Which is awesome.  This game is SO huge and has SO MUCH TO DO that I love it.  And I really like the Gambit concept - if I don't feel like micromanaging when I go run around, I don't have to.  Really neat!

But yeah, awesome awesome... definately a contender for my GOTY.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 05, 2006, 02:31:43 AM »

I got the chance to put in a 9 hour FFXII bender today, and am absolutely loving it!  Took me 55 hours, but I finallly figured out a few things that have been a huge help (how Quickening chains work, that multiple quickenings triple your MP).

One question:  How exactly do you equip a handbomb?  Balthier has the license for it, but it won't let me equip it.  Does it require ammo like the bow or gun?  If so, where the hell do you get it?  Also, is it a ranged or melee weapon?  I assume ranged, but really have no idea.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 05, 2006, 02:34:57 AM »

Pretty sure the handbombs require ammo but I'm not positive.  I'm also pretty sure I've seen it for sale somewhere (I'd try Rabanastre).  Gah, guess I'm useless today. 
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 05, 2006, 04:15:24 AM »

Handbombs are ranged and require ammo.... I forget where you get the ammo as I haven't played in quite a while.  I remember preferring the guns however.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 11, 2006, 05:01:41 PM »

Well, a friend of mine let me borrow this finally.

I really like it so far.  I just started and haven't read past page two of this thread.

I like the way it feels like I'm playing a story, or a movie, or something.  This whole type of game is SO new for me - I don't have any clue whatsoever what to expect... that's probably part of the fun.

Wheeee!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 05:09:24 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 11, 2006, 05:37:11 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 11, 2006, 05:01:41 PM

Well, a friend of mine let me borrow this finally.

I really like it so far.  I just started and haven't read past page two of this thread.

I like the way it feels like I'm playing a story, or a movie, or something.  This whole type of game is SO new for me - I don't have any clue whatsoever what to expect... that's probably part of the fun.

Wheeee!!!!!

If I may, a couple tips that might help you avoid some of the early game mistakes I made:

1.   Do not spend license points on any weapon/item/accessory/magic that isn’t available through the shops yet. Remember, you’ll need to both buy weapon/magic/etc and unlock the license before you can use it.
2.   Augment, augment, augment.  Work on getting as many augments as possible for your characters.  Licenses that add HP, Speed, Magic, Melee damage, etc are all a huge help in battles.
3.   Have a concept in mind as you develop your characters.  This is maybe just a personal preference, but I found that having an idea of what I wanted each character to be helped a great deal in deciding what licenses and upgrades to take.  I.E.  Penelo and Fran are my ranged weapon healers, so I never bothered spending LP on heavy armor or melee weapons for them. 
4.   Remember that even low level enemies still give LP to the entire party.  If you’re looking to specifically grind out a few license points, you can just as easily get them against low level enemies as high level

I have to admit, I’m a bit jealous of your position.  Having played so many FF games (and JRPG’s in general), one tends to get pretty jaded.  Thankfully, FFXII is one of those rare games that has an incredible addicting magic to it.  Have fun!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 11, 2006, 07:39:14 PM »

Thank you Gratch.  #1, 3, 4 sound great, and I will keep those things in mind.  However, I have no clue what augment means.  Is that like adding a a chip to my head to make me see in the dark or something, like in Deus Ex?  (sorry, I really don't understand, I'm not being funny here.)

Also, let's say I get like 10 hours in and decide I like it enough to try to finish the game.  Do I invest in the guide?  I've seen it in the stores, and it is like an encyclopedia.  What exactly is in there!?!  If you were a brand new person to the series and the game, would you get it?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 11, 2006, 07:51:04 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 11, 2006, 07:39:14 PM

Thank you Gratch.  #1, 3, 4 sound great, and I will keep those things in mind.  However, I have no clue what augment means.  Is that like adding a a chip to my head to make me see in the dark or something, like in Deus Ex?  (sorry, I really don't understand, I'm not being funny here.)

Also, let's say I get like 10 hours in and decide I like it enough to try to finish the game.  Do I invest in the guide?  I've seen it in the stores, and it is like an encyclopedia.  What exactly is in there!?!  If you were a brand new person to the series and the game, would you get it?

Augments are a section of the license board- they are in the lower left hand portion of the upper board.  They give you stat boosts and the like.  Very, very important for an effective character.

And, yes, get the guide.  It's a great guide to begin with and will probably save you a lot of headaches layer, especially since you seem to be new to the genre. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 11, 2006, 08:11:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 11, 2006, 07:51:04 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on December 11, 2006, 07:39:14 PM

Augments are a section of the license board- they are in the lower left hand portion of the upper board.  They give you stat boosts and the like.  Very, very important for an effective character.

And, yes, get the guide.  It's a great guide to begin with and will probably save you a lot of headaches layer, especially since you seem to be new to the genre. 

+1 to what Kevin said.  You'll see the augments as you work further into the license board.  They will be things like +100 HP, Increase Magik Power, Increase Speed 10%,  Improve physical damage, etc.  They're essential to building good characters.

I'd recommend getting the guide.  It really is fantastic and can be a huge help.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 08:14:09 PM by Gratch » Logged

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 11, 2006, 09:02:20 PM »

I ended up "wasting" some LPs on unnecessary licenses just to get my characters their second and third quickenings.  I had originally planned to get them as I needed them, but I really needed the additional MPs.   I did have a plan in mind before I did this though, so all three of one characters quickenings were in one section of the board.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: