http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 03:55:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII Impressions  (Read 29631 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2006, 04:49:50 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 01, 2006, 04:15:20 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 01, 2006, 03:31:40 PM

Ron put up the GT review, but I'd be careful as there is a nice little spoiler in it (one that I wouldn't have guessed in a million years and I guess will be surprising to others).  It's in the gameplay section, and from what I've heard about the FF series is definitely different from previous games:

Spoiler for Hiden:
As the story progresses you’ll meet up with new characters and eventually Vaan will leave your party.

It's Keith's review, but the thing that is spoiled happens less than 2 hours into the game.  Not a big spoiler really.

It's that quick?  wow, after the end of the tutorial I figured everything would be pretty much set in stone;  definitely different.  I withdraw my comment  icon_biggrin  BTW Good review Keith.

(also goes to show how little time I've had to play with the game even though I got it just after midnight  icon_frown)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2006, 04:51:13 PM »

Hmm, well I'm about two hours in and I haven't seen the event in question.  Really hoping that it's as minor of a spoiler as mentioned above. 
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2006, 05:11:46 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 01, 2006, 01:27:09 PM

Quote from: Fellow on November 01, 2006, 07:31:56 AM

Ironically enough, Dep, I think this is one of the extremely few jrpgs that I think has top notch voice acting. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't come up with any others that match it. Then again it's 2:30am right now, so the brain's not working exactly at full capacity.

DQ8, Tales of the Abyss, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, and Xenosaga 3 all come to mind as having as good of voice acting as what I've heard in FFXII so far.  All are excellent in that area IMO. 

Tst! I can't believe I forgot DQ8, and the DDS games. Yeah, those're definitely up there.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2006, 05:49:12 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 01, 2006, 04:51:13 PM

Hmm, well I'm about two hours in and I haven't seen the event in question.  Really hoping that it's as minor of a spoiler as mentioned above. 

I'm 9 hours in and I don't recall that event.  I'm a bit confused as to what he's referring to.   :icon_confused:

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 05:58:56 PM »

Quote from: depward on November 01, 2006, 04:34:25 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on November 01, 2006, 04:30:31 PM

I've been enjoying the story so far, but the battles have been frustrating me.  IT feels like Vaan (and earlier, Reks) were taking their sweet time to swing.  The system is nifty and all...but it feels slow.  (Of course, I just came from playing Tales of the Abyss, .hack//G.U. and PSU...so maybe I'm just not acclimating well)
Up the battle speed in the config menu.  I did and it feels quite right   nod

Yeah, I bumped it up a notch myself as well. I'm still using (and more than likely will keep) the Wait setting though, as I don't want to get pummeled while I'm trying to find a spell in what looks to be a very large list from what I've seen on the License board.

BTW - If you want money, Steal ALL the time (max of one item per guy). I basically open up EVERY combat with a Steal command out of Vaan (and let the AI charge in afterwards) and it's allowed me to keep in the black as far as cash flow goes. But not by much.

It seems that the game is designed this way as far as cash goes, and that worries me. But it also could only be a ~10 hour thing too.

Anything else... Love the boss fights. The game forces you to keep on your toes all the time during boss fights, as they'll slaughter you without mercy. The AI helps a lot during these situations (assuming you have their Gambits set up properly), so careful planning of your characters is recommended.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2006, 07:28:45 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 01, 2006, 04:44:29 PM

It's kind of confusing because the playing field makes it look like an Action-RPG when it's totally not the case. 

yeah, it is - even though i knew it wasn't an action rpg, for the first few minutes, until my wife pointed out the meter on the bottom of the screen, i was trying to play the game like it was an action rpg (& getting a little frustrated)...

gonna have to play with the battle speed setting...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 01, 2006, 12:35:24 AM

Seemingly stupid question that is causing me a great deal of agitation at the moment -
Is anyone playing this with a non-standard PS2 controller? 
I have two cheapos I got when my last one died.  One is a MadCatz knockoff but one is a plain old gray Sony controller.  FF12 seems to demand an authentic DualShock 2 or it refuses to load up.  Going to see if I can't borrow Calvin's controller for a second and test this out, but man, WTF?

Update: Yup, it doesn't like anything but the real deal.  What a load.

the problem is that FF12 requires a PS2 controller -- not a hybrid, not a PS1, a PS2.  there was a dynasty warriors game like that; it'll only work with a controller that specifically says PS2 on it -- i'm using my HipGear turbo controller for it (i think it's the only ps2 i have, lol!  all my others are madcatz hybrids).

i didn't have any troubles with the x-axis, but i just went through Dirge of Cerberus last month, and i'm pretty sure it had the same camera.  it seemed okay to me.  maybe i'm weird.

i'm having fun with the game so far, although i don't understand gambits at allr...but i made the mistake of trying to casually play ookami -- i thought i'd play through the first several minutes of it to see what it was like, and then i'd toddle on back to hunting the Flowering Cactoid.  i started playing.  and i haven't been able to stop.  ^_^;;;;;;;;;;  *goes back to painting lily pads and feeding wild animals...*

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2006, 11:45:48 PM »

Quote from: MerianMoriarty on November 01, 2006, 09:22:00 PM

i made the mistake of trying to casually play ookami -- i thought i'd play through the first several minutes of it to see what it was like, and then i'd toddle on back to hunting the Flowering Cactoid.  i started playing.  and i haven't been able to stop.  ^_^;;;;;;;;;;  *goes back to painting lily pads and feeding wild animals...*

hehheh... sorry to hear that (you were already supposed to have finished okami by now smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2006, 11:48:59 PM »

I love the psedo-MMO combat along with the gambit system.  It makes regular battles so much easier and less annoying than the random battles.  Level grinding has never been easier. :smile:

Quote from: Gratch on November 01, 2006, 05:49:12 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 01, 2006, 04:51:13 PM

I'm 9 hours in and I don't recall that event.  I'm a bit confused as to what he's referring to.   :icon_confused:
I just finished the Lhusu Mines at the 10 hour mark and
Spoiler for Hiden:
Vaan hasn't left yet.
  Does it happen after that or did I miss some side quest? 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 01:40:07 AM by Nth Power » Logged

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2006, 12:26:49 AM »

ps: just tried, & couldn't get it to run with my version of hdloader...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2006, 01:03:59 AM »

Nothing to see here *whistle*...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 05:09:53 AM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2006, 01:21:04 AM »

afosidjfoisjfoj!~
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 04:49:14 AM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2006, 01:43:30 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 02, 2006, 01:21:04 AM

Quote from: depward on November 02, 2006, 01:03:59 AM

Quote from: Nth Power on November 01, 2006, 11:48:59 PM

I just finished the Lhusu Mines at the 10 hour mark and .  Does it happen after that or did I miss some side quest? 
Methinks that was the spoiler you peoples are talking about...   icon_mad

Good thing I hadn't planned on playing the game or I'd be a little "omgwtfbbq!?" right now.
Whupsy doodle!  Sorry bout that - I'll spoilerize my post.  But supposedly it's not that big of a spoiler...?  :icon_sad:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2006, 02:37:52 AM »

so,... all we gotta do now is get dep & tml to edit their posts, & we're back to square one, with the understanding that it doesn't matter, at this point, for the majority of us who've already had it spoiled, but will hopefully help to not spoil it for future generations?... or something like that?...

hehheh - just noticed that 'square one' pun. sorry, everyone...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 02:41:08 AM by semiconscious » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2006, 03:05:07 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 02, 2006, 12:26:49 AM

ps: just tried, & couldn't get it to run with my version of hdloader...
I read on another board that it requires a patch to work on hdloader.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2006, 01:09:41 PM »

I beat Okami last night and so gave FFXII a whirl.  I only played up the first save point as I didn't have any time to really play.  So, impressions so far are that the cinematics were nice.  One thing I didn't like was that during cinematics and cut scenes, there is a huge black bar at the bottom.  Kind of annoying.  Is this happening with everyone who has 16:9?  Also, the cinematics had black bars on the left and right as well.  The graphics look really bad on my HDTV.  I am coming off playing Okami, which just looks beautiful and then I come to this with jaggies galore.  Can't say much about the battle system as I barely got into it since this is basically a tutorial stage I am in.  That is all for now.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2006, 01:18:06 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 02, 2006, 01:09:41 PM

The graphics look really bad on my HDTV.  I am coming off playing Okami, which just looks beautiful and then I come to this with jaggies galore. 

FWIW, the opening area that you were in seemed to have an abnormal amount of jaggies and shimmering compared to the rest of the game.  I wasn't impressed at all with the graphics in the tutorial area, but thought they took a huge jump for the better when you get to Rabanastre. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2006, 02:07:25 PM »

Impressions after 2 hours and reading much of the thread:

I like the combat system so far, I haven't gotten to configure gambits yet but I like the concept.
I like the exploration option on the license board.
I like the lack of surprise encounters.
I wish I could fast forward through the interludes (narrator reading text on screen to me).
I hate that I can't reverse the camera controls.
The second hunt is not meant to be taken on solo with the starter equipment.
I'm licensed for shields and heavy armor and have money and can't find anywhere to buy it, or to even find out it is way too expensive.

I quit FFX at the first save point. I see much more of a future for this one.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2006, 03:59:04 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 02, 2006, 01:09:41 PM

One thing I didn't like was that during cinematics and cut scenes, there is a huge black bar at the bottom.  Kind of annoying.  Is this happening with everyone who has 16:9?  Also, the cinematics had black bars on the left and right as well.

Yeah, I get the huge black bar too (46" widescreen).  I don't think they made the cinematics for 16:9.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2006, 04:04:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 02, 2006, 03:59:04 PM

Yeah, I get the huge black bar too (46" widescreen).  I don't think they made the cinematics for 16:9.

I'm sure they didn't- the original Japanese release wasn't widescreen- that feature was added to the US version.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2006, 04:42:42 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 02, 2006, 04:04:04 PM

I'm sure they didn't- the original Japanese release wasn't widescreen- that feature was added to the US version.

Ah, that explains the bars on the side.  I guess the bar at the bottom is in case you have subtitles turned on.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2006, 04:50:47 PM »

This game did finally convince me to figure out why I couldn't see the entire screen with PS2 games. I was missing critical info on the top and bottom in many games but this is the first game where I *really* needed that info. It turns out I've been playing PS2 games with my TV in zoom mode all along. Oops. Not being able to see the "action" bar was a bit problematic.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2006, 05:19:45 PM »

You can skip cinematics (or at least the opening pan of areas) by hitting start and then Triangle I think.  It shows the option to skip on the pause screen.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
JodoKast
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2006, 05:20:52 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 02, 2006, 04:42:42 PM

Ah, that explains the bars on the side.  I guess the bar at the bottom is in case you have subtitles turned on.

I always turn on subtitles and they are in that black area below the cinematic.

Gamertag : NJ Devilfish
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2006, 05:29:39 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 02, 2006, 02:07:25 PM

I'm licensed for shields and heavy armor and have money and can't find anywhere to buy it, or to even find out it is way too expensive.

1) The game can and will send you into areas/monsters that you outright have no chance to beat. I guess it's trying to tell you that there are creatures in the world that are more powerful than your average bear.

2) Word of advice - never get the Licenses for weapons/armor if you can't find them for sale at your local vendor. You're just wasting your points. You can get licenses way above and beyond what you can find to buy, as you'd be outright overpowered if you could buy every weapon/armor/spell in the game right off. Check back at the stores from time to time as as the plot advances, so do the items available to buy.

Also, IMHO, Light Armor seems to be the way to go (at the start at least). It's the same armor level as Heavy Armor, and it has way more HP attached to it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2006, 05:31:21 PM »

Quote from: JodoKast on November 02, 2006, 05:20:52 PM

Quote from: The Grue on November 02, 2006, 04:42:42 PM

I always turn on subtitles and they are in that black area below the cinematic.

And that wraps up all the mystery there.  icon_biggrin

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2006, 06:57:38 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 02, 2006, 05:29:39 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on November 02, 2006, 02:07:25 PM

1) The game can and will send you into areas/monsters that you outright have no chance to beat. I guess it's trying to tell you that there are creatures in the world that are more powerful than your average bear.

2) Word of advice - never get the Licenses for weapons/armor if you can't find them for sale at your local vendor. You're just wasting your points. You can get licenses way above and beyond what you can find to buy, as you'd be outright overpowered if you could buy every weapon/armor/spell in the game right off. Check back at the stores from time to time as as the plot advances, so do the items available to buy.

I should have checked the store first, but I hadn't been inside a store yet and figured when I entered I'd be in the buy/sell interface immediately and didn't want to go through extra loads to back out, get the license and re-enter the store... I took heavy armor because it was between me and the shields license, and heavy armor seems liked a sensible choice. Call me crazy for assuming the armor store with the shield as an icon would have a shield in stock! LPs are easy to come by at this VERY early stage so I don't mind the waste.

I've learned my lesson about not getting licenses until I have a use for them though. slywink

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2006, 07:07:51 PM »

Played 3 hours now (from now till sunday night is when the real time is getting spent) and so far I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE.

• The graphics are as good as we will see on a PS2
  • The art style is fantastic
  • The story is cool and wierd and interesting
  • The combat system works, and its fun as heck (too early to really know about gambits for me)
  • The mission system rules
  • I dont like the license board as much as the immaculate sphere board, but it presents a lot of options and I think its going to be a lot of fun to play with. I already am trying to plan out what exactly Vaan and Rennelo will be when they grow up
  • Cannot wait to play more, and its hard to put it down!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2006, 07:17:20 PM »

The license discussion brings up an interesting question.  How are you guys developing your characters?  9 hours in, and I'm going with:

Vaan:  Melee Fighter (swords) with a few white mage abilities.  Not really sure which direction I want to take him yet.
Fran:  White & Green mage & bow specialist
Balthier:  Black mage and gun specialist.  He seems to be a bit low on MP, but maybe I can bump that up through licenses
Captain Basch:  Seems like a straight up fighter type.  Currently focusing on swords, shields, & armor.

Debating if I should have someone work with staves, or leave that for additonal PC's.  Hmmm...

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2006, 07:43:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 02, 2006, 07:17:20 PM

The license discussion brings up an interesting question.  How are you guys developing your characters?  9 hours in, and I'm going with:

Vaan:  Melee Fighter (swords) with a few white mage abilities.  Not really sure which direction I want to take him yet.
Fran:  White & Green mage & bow specialist
Balthier:  Black mage and gun specialist.  He seems to be a bit low on MP, but maybe I can bump that up through licenses
Captain Basch:  Seems like a straight up fighter type.  Currently focusing on swords, shields, & armor.

Debating if I should have someone work with staves, or leave that for additonal PC's.  Hmmm...
Mine's close to that, but I had Vaan go more in the direction with mage abilities and leaning Fran toward the combat heavy dept, although the bow is still her main weapon.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2006, 08:05:59 PM »

Im making Vaan a light armor/smaller(faster) sword based fighter that supplements with minor white magic (cure, haste) to supplement his attack and some FUNKEY technics. At least thats the plan. I dont want him doing much more spellcasting than haste and cure-technics will be his secondary-I view him sort of as a light armored super fast duelist.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2006, 08:15:20 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 02, 2006, 07:17:20 PM

The license discussion brings up an interesting question.  How are you guys developing your characters?

10 or so hours in (have all 6 characters) and I'm going:

Vaan: Light Armor and Daggers/ninja swords. I've seen a parter go combo nuts (nothing like seeing somebody practically one shot a mob with an instant 3-hit combo) so that's how I want him to play. Also minoring in White Magic and lots of Enhancements.
Fran: Sticking with the Bow and going heavy into Black/Green Magic. Going to be my main 'death from afar' character.
Another female (not the friend of Vaan's - it's a very minor spoiler though until you get her): Light Armor, Daggers, and heavy into White/Time Magic. Will be my main healer while still having the ability to kick butt.

And that's my main party. As for the other three, I'm not sure yet, but time will tell once I get more time to figure things out.

And yes, I just realized I have nobody going Swords. If I find something I just have to use, I guess I can always divert a few points to learn a few things...

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2006, 02:29:00 AM »

past the first boss battle, & i'm very impressed & delighted. strong flavor of ff tactics in the plotline, which i wasn't sure i was gonna like, but it's been done really well. like the license/gambit systems - a little intimidating initially, but very comfortable very quickly. & the side-quest, 'hunt' thing (monteblanc!) rounds things out perfectly. i for one say all the delays were worth it - an amazingly polished, smoothly-flowing work of rpgenius...

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2006, 01:17:47 PM »

If some of you guys don't mind, will you watch the GameTrailers Review and tell me what you think.

As stated before, Devil and I have no clue what Final Fantasy is beyond the title itself, and aren't really sure what to expect.  We are both on the fence (and probably alittle overwhelmed to be honest) with the apparent depth of the game - but part of me (and him) really are curious enough to get it.

I came across the gametrailers review and after watching it, a bunch of red flags went up  (I'm sure you'll understand why after you watch it).

Any thoughts or comments regarding their opinions would be great, as honestly, it looks so incredible from a visual standpoint, it's hard not to just jump on in. 

Here is the link to the video.  (Note: I don't know anything about FF, so there may be "spoilers" in the video and I am not even aware of it, but it doesn't appear to be spoilerific.)

Link to Gametrailer FF site - Just watch the Review

Of course I realize it ultimately comes down to opinion, but I am really most interested in what you think of his comments.

Gracias from me and the Boob.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2006, 01:41:47 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 03, 2006, 01:17:47 PM

If some of you guys don't mind, will you watch the GameTrailers Review and tell me what you think.

Well, I've only logged about three hours in so far, so I'm not going to render a personal opinion, but it seemed to me that the GT review's core complaints were:

-1) Story is too political, less personal, with a weak cast
-2) Combat system isn't very fun
-3) Too much grinding

On 1): I will say that I've seen many people who have played the game say that this has one of their favorite casts.  One of GT's possible misconceptions seem to be that Vaan is a main character- I've read several places that, despite what you think, this game is more of an ensemble like FF6 so Vaan isn't in fact a main character and you shouldn't be looking for the story to revolve around him in the same way that previous FFs have revolved around Cloud, Squall, or Tidus. 

And the story is definitely more political than previous entries- but that's obviously going to appeal to many so that's not necessarily a negative.  I wil say that I've read several opinions that the ending is kind of anti-climactic.

Comments 2) & 3) are pretty much linked together.  If you don't really enjoy the combat system, then you probably aren't going to enjoy grinding.  Again, obviously subjective, but difference between GT and the other, much higher reviews, seems to be that most seem to really love the combat system so it doesn't feel like grinding when you are engaging in combat and exploration just for the joy of it. 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2006, 02:30:54 PM »

I really disagree with much of the Game Trailer review.  For me, this story is one of the best I've seen in a long time, and the characters and world are extremely well-developed.   It sounded to me like the story just didn't click with that particular reviewer.  It is certainly a departure from the standard "angsty teen saves the world" theme of the last few FF games, but that's a very good thing imho.  It truly does feel like you're in the middle of an epic story and it does a great job at drawing you into the world.  The graphics are the best we've seen out of the PS2 and are extremely well done. 

It also sounds from that review like they really didn't like the combat system.  While I can certainly understand that (different strokes and all), I think it's one of the best RPG combat systems I've ever played.  I was initially very apprehensive about the Gambit system, as it looked like the game would essentially be playing itself.  In practice, however, it is an extremely deep and flexible system that is a lot of fun to play.  It takes some getting used to (especially those of us used to FF's standard turn-based system), but I'm enjoying it more and more as I go and as the Gambits start to open up.  I'm still not entirely sold on the license system, but that's just personal preference.  I'm trying to specialize the characters as much as possible, but I'm a bit concerned I'm going to end up with a group of underpowered folks at the end.  Time will tell, I suppose.

Bottom line is this:  I'm 13 hours in, and would strongly recommend FFXII, even to those who have never played a FF game before.  FWIW, that review is very much in the minority, with most other reviews rating the story & combat as definate positives.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2006, 03:26:01 PM »

The combat system is what makes the game, IMHO. Yes, you can set it to pretty much play itself (even for whoever you're controlling), but you'll still be a more efficient player in the end if you take full manual control every so often (especially during boss fights).

jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2006, 03:27:21 PM »

I've nver played a Final Fantasy game before and I don't regret picking this one up.  I'm having a blast with it.  It makes me wish I hadn't missed out on the previous 11.  I might go back and play a few of them when I'm finished with this.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2006, 03:44:07 PM »

Quote from: jonsauce on November 03, 2006, 03:27:21 PM

I've nver played a Final Fantasy game before and I don't regret picking this one up.  I'm having a blast with it.  It makes me wish I hadn't missed out on the previous 11.  I might go back and play a few of them when I'm finished with this.

Correction.  It's 10, plus that online...thing.   icon_wink

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2006, 04:11:36 PM »

my take on gametrailer reviews: they did a hatchet job on monster hunter: freedom earlier this year, but, if you've played the game, & watch the review, what become quickly apparent is, the person playing the game 1) didn't get very far in, 2) didn't take the time to learn how to play, 3) really, really sucked as a player, skill-wise(?!), & 4) had something of a limited attention span (really wanted to be playing something shorter & more instantly gratifying, & basically said so). that gametrailers let someone like this do a number like this on a game told me all i needed to know about gametrailers reviews, & i've avoided them since...

iow, if a single gametrailer review is all that stands between you getting or not getting the game, get the game. while this reviewer wasn't quite so bad, comments about 'should've been 25 hours' & 'the characters have no motivation'(?!) indicate to me that, like the mh:f reviewer, this guy simply couldn't get immersed in the game because he basically didn't want to be playing ffxii, or possibly any rpg, for that matter (despite which, he still had to give it an 8 out of 10)...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: