http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 05:45:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII Impressions  (Read 29658 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2006, 06:07:44 AM »

well, I picked up a copy at the midnight release at a local EBGames and promptly headed home to try it out.   I've dabble with the FF series over the years but never really got into them.  I think I've only completed one of them, and that would be the first FF released on the Gameboy way back when.  I got a copy of the CE, which was all that was left available and seeing the nearest place I could get the regular edition is 30 minutes away I figured I could live with spending the extra 10 bucks.

Initial Impressions:

The opening cinematic is beautiful, as I imagine is par for the series.

On my 46" widescreen HD the actual gameplay graphics are pretty rough, but it is a PS2 game so I kinda expected that.

The battle system seems fairly easy to pick up, and I kinda like it.  It seems to be a mix between real time and turn based:  you still have the menus for various actions like attacking and casting but can move about the screen freely during combat.

So far it looks promising, but then again when I tried FF X I started out feeling the same way and it died only a few hours in.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 07:24:23 AM »

Nice Ceekay!! Keep em coming!!
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 10:57:23 AM »

I ended up caving and stopped by EB for the midnight opening and picked up the regular edition and the strategy guide.  I played for an hour and am impressed with the little bit I saw.
Along with the nice opening scene, I really like how the camera angles.  While it can get a little spastic in smaller areas, it zooms out nicely to an almost overhead shot and it zooms in to a 3rd person action type view.  Graphically, it looks great but yeah, the main drawback are those nasty jaggies.  I can only imagine how sweet it would look on a next gen console.  Still, it's about as good as it gets for a PS2 game.
I have a feeling I'm going to have a great time with this one.  Back to playing.  :smile:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 03:37:55 PM »

I've put in about two hours now and I'm absolutely loving it. Doesn't look like it has any of the negative qualities that the other next-gen (PS2) Final Fantasies have had either.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 03:47:46 PM »

Leaving to pick up my copy now.  Will have impressions sometime this afternoon, if I can drag myself away.   icon_smile

溺y next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 05:56:58 PM »

I am enjoying it but combat is sometimes just watching them "gambit."

small spoilers

I was getting beaten repeatedly by the fire horse boss until I just set everyone to gambits and let the computer do the fighting.  It could keep track better than I could of who needed healing, when they needed it, etc.  I guess that is great AI but on the other hand it made for a pretty boring boss battle. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 12:17:23 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on October 31, 2006, 05:56:58 PM

small spoilers

I was getting beaten repeatedly by the fire horse boss until I just set everyone to gambits and let the computer do the fighting.  It could keep track better than I could of who needed healing, when they needed it, etc.  I guess that is great AI but on the other hand it made for a pretty boring boss battle. 

That type of thing has always been one of my big problems with JRPGs.  Of the 100's of battles you are typically forced to fight, very few of them seem to require actual strategy and effort to win.  It seems like you can usually just go through the motions and use the same tactic over and over.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 12:35:24 AM »

Seemingly stupid question that is causing me a great deal of agitation at the moment -
Is anyone playing this with a non-standard PS2 controller? 
I have two cheapos I got when my last one died.  One is a MadCatz knockoff but one is a plain old gray Sony controller.  FF12 seems to demand an authentic DualShock 2 or it refuses to load up.  Going to see if I can't borrow Calvin's controller for a second and test this out, but man, WTF?

Update: Yup, it doesn't like anything but the real deal.  What a load.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 02:23:32 AM by kathode » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 12:42:48 AM »

I picked up mine at Circuit City ($38  icon_biggrin) and put a little time in before passing out candy (to a whopping 14 kids).  Even though I'd seen much of it before, Square never ceases to amaze with their CG - absolutely breathtaking.  The writing also seems at a much higher level than you expect from a video game.  The in-game graphics also look great, and even better than in most screenshots I've seen.  I also love the automap -  I hope this becomes standard in console RPGs in the new generation.  It makes it so much easier to explore everything and not having to worry about missing something.  Can't wait to play more later.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 12:47:37 AM »

I love the game with one glaring exception. It appears that this game has a darker tone and atmosphere than previous titles. So why did they fuck that up by placing little smiley faces over everyones' heads? I'm especially upset that instead of a nice  portrait next to the dialogue box of the character that is speaking, we get an icon that looks like this---> nod

Whover had that idea is an idiot. I'm also surprised that nobody else appears to be bothered by this detail.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 01:19:33 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 01, 2006, 12:17:23 AM

Quote from: farley2k on October 31, 2006, 05:56:58 PM

small spoilers

That type of thing has always been one of my big problems with JRPGs.  Of the 100's of battles you are typically forced to fight, very few of them seem to require actual strategy and effort to win.  It seems like you can usually just go through the motions and use the same tactic over and over.
I actually had the opposite experience and found it to be a fairly tense battle.  Then again, my strategy could have been screwy which made thing harder, I don't know.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I had Balthier set to heal at <70% and manually healed and attacked with Vaan.  Fran and Amalia were auto-attacking the whole time.  I didn't have much problem until he started using that mass poison effect  That's when my party HP started to get really low all at the same time. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 02:58:25 AM »

Ok so I'm just stupid for not seeing the option to invert the X-axis camera controls, right?  I mean, it's in there somewhere right?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 03:01:00 AM »

Quote from: kathode on November 01, 2006, 02:58:25 AM

Ok so I'm just stupid for not seeing the option to invert the X-axis camera controls, right?  I mean, it's in there somewhere right?
I didn't see it either.  It screwed me up at first, but I've gotten used to it now.  :icon_confused:

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 03:08:06 AM »

Quote from: kathode on November 01, 2006, 02:58:25 AM

unfortunately not.  the X-axis is screwing me up...at least they got the Y-axis right for me lol
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 03:14:06 AM »

Quote from: kathode on November 01, 2006, 12:35:24 AM

Seemingly stupid question that is causing me a great deal of agitation at the moment -
I have two cheapos I got when my last one died.  One is a MadCatz knockoff but one is a plain old gray Sony controller.  FF12 seems to demand an authentic DualShock 2 or it refuses to load up.  Going to see if I can't borrow Calvin's controller for a second and test this out, but man, WTF?

At one time, I had a non-standard PS2 controller (or was it PS1) and it outright didn't work with some Capcom game. That was the absolute last time I EVER bought a non-standard gaming controller for ANY console system.

And no, there is no way to change the camera controls. Stupid, I know.

And finally, I love the Gambit system. Methinks it'll work a bit better once you get more MP (as well as better heals/Gambits). But it allows you to concentrate on one or two characters, while having the rest of your party do their think in kicking ass. Noticing all the '+1 Gambit' slots on the levelup board (actual name forgotten right now) implies that you'll be able to have a pretty intelligent party member with plans to fix no matter what goes wrong later on in the game.

Also, don't forget you can modify your Gambits during battle. If something isn't working (or you run out of MP), change a few things around and you're all set to continue on fighting.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 03:17:42 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 03:43:05 AM »

Yeah, the game is doing everything it can to frustrate me.  Oh well, I'll get over it.

ROGUE TOMATO
THE HUNT BEGINS!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 03:49:25 AM »

Yeah, the X-Axis stuff screwed me up too.  Took me about an hour to get used to it.  Very aggrivating.

WOW at the music in the game though, especially the stuff in the intro video and opening cutscene.  Had a very John Williams flavor to it and felt very unlike normal FF music. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 04:02:09 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 01, 2006, 03:49:25 AM

Yeah, the X-Axis stuff screwed me up too.  Took me about an hour to get used to it.  Very aggrivating.

WOW at the music in the game though, especially the stuff in the intro video and opening cutscene.  Had a very John Williams flavor to it and felt very unlike normal FF music. 

FWIW, they used a new composer this time around.  Uematsu had done all the previous FF games, and they brought in Sakimoto (?) this time.  He had previously worked on music for the FF Tactics & Vagrant Story games.

Just put in about 9 hours and my brain is shot.  I'll put up some detailed impressions tomorrow, but if I were to sum it up in a few words, they would be:

This game is absolutely fantastic and deserves every bit of the glowing reviews it's receiving.   icon_biggrin

More to come tomorrow...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 04:06:05 AM by Gratch » Logged

溺y next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 04:17:09 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 01, 2006, 04:02:09 AM

FWIW, they used a new composer this time around.  Uematsu had done all the previous FF games, and they brought in Sakimoto (?) this time.  He had previously worked on music for the FF Tactics & Vagrant Story games.

Yeah, I was going to look up Sakimoto and see if he did Tactics because a few pieces of music here and there have reminded me of some tracks from that game (plus it was only logical that Matsuno would use him). 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 05:23:33 AM »

oh well,...

played a little children of mana co-op with the wife, she wasn't too crazy about it, so we went upstairs & booted up ffxii, & whoa! - that decided that! (& so much for my concern re: humor - one look at the rogue tomato, & i felt like i was going home)...

pretty damn impressive so far (&, yeah, the soundtrack works much better in-game). question for kevin/anyone: does it run from the hard drive (too late for me to try it tonight)?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 05:45:50 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 01, 2006, 05:23:33 AM

question for kevin/anyone: does it run from the hard drive (too late for me to try it tonight)?...

Other than cutscene loading, load times seem pretty small, so I didn't really feel like I needed to try it with HD Loader. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 06:35:38 AM »

Really fine game.  Cutscenes are wonderful and look fantastic.  I like the political plotline so far - it's a bit different, but I like that.

Combat is VERY FFXI.  I had to turn the combat faster though in the config menu.  I don't know, I'm kinda fine with the complaints of grinding a bit later in the game . . . the combat system is pretty fun.  I mean, it's pretty.  And (as shallow as it may seem) I can definately grind in a game when the battle system is fun, not mindless, and pretty to look at.

Music is fantastic.  Works very very well in the game.

Voice acting isn't as strong as I thought it was going to be!  Yep, I said it!  But still, it's above average compared to 90% of other RPGs I've played.

Graphics look fantastic on component video.  Loadtimes... are ok.  A tad bit longish that I noticed in some areas, but very negotiable.  Is it HDLoader compatible?

Still, blown away from what I played so far.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 07:31:56 AM »

Ironically enough, Dep, I think this is one of the extremely few jrpgs that I think has top notch voice acting. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't come up with any others that match it. Then again it's 2:30am right now, so the brain's not working exactly at full capacity.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 01:27:09 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on November 01, 2006, 07:31:56 AM

Ironically enough, Dep, I think this is one of the extremely few jrpgs that I think has top notch voice acting. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't come up with any others that match it. Then again it's 2:30am right now, so the brain's not working exactly at full capacity.

DQ8, Tales of the Abyss, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, and Xenosaga 3 all come to mind as having as good of voice acting as what I've heard in FFXII so far.  All are excellent in that area IMO. 
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 01:34:17 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 01, 2006, 12:17:23 AM

Yeah but at least you could try different things for fun.  You could cast blizzard instead of fire, etc. 

With 2 characters on gambits and one guest it is pretty dull.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 01:36:52 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 01, 2006, 12:35:24 AM

I am using the Pelican "Predator" and it works fine so far. 

One thing is that I can't move through certain menus with the analog stick which is a bit annoying.  I don't know if that is caused by the controller.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006, 01:43:49 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 01, 2006, 01:36:52 PM

One thing is that I can't move through certain menus with the analog stick which is a bit annoying.  I don't know if that is caused by the controller.

Nah, the same thing happens with a Dual Shock.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 02:36:54 PM »

Even with the gambit system on you can change party leaders on the fly and cast what ever spell you want.  It's pretty intuitive if you ask me.  It also adds some tactics as i was having a hard time beating one boss, but after changing gambits around I was able to over comeit.  Very fun so far.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 03:18:24 PM »

I'm absolutely loving this game! Got nine hours in yesterday (yes, first time I've ever taken time off work for a new game...) and it's utterly fantastic. Feels more like a party-based Vagrant Story 2 than a Final Fantasy game, and that's not necessarily a bad thing! There's just enough Final Fantasy to the blend to make it work; so far it's really taking the best of both worlds and mashing them into one awesome new game.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 03:29:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 01, 2006, 01:27:09 PM

Quote from: Fellow on November 01, 2006, 07:31:56 AM

DQ8, Tales of the Abyss, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, and Xenosaga 3 all come to mind as having as good of voice acting as what I've heard in FFXII so far.  All are excellent in that area IMO. 

I'd say Disgaea 1 was better too (other than Laharl)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 03:31:40 PM »

Ron put up the GT review, but I'd be careful as there is a nice little spoiler in it (one that I wouldn't have guessed in a million years and I guess will be surprising to others).  It's in the gameplay section, and from what I've heard about the FF series is definitely different from previous games:

Spoiler for Hiden:
As the story progresses you値l meet up with new characters and eventually Vaan will leave your party.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 04:03:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 01, 2006, 03:31:40 PM

Ron put up the GT review, but I'd be careful as there is a nice little spoiler in it (one that I wouldn't have guessed in a million years and I guess will be surprising to others).  It's in the gameplay section, and from what I've heard about the FF series is definitely different from previous games:

Spoiler for Hiden:
As the story progresses you値l meet up with new characters and eventually Vaan will leave your party.

I think he mixed up X-axis with Y-axis in the Controls section of the review.  last I checked, X refers to horizontal and Y for vertical =P
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 04:15:20 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

It's Keith's review, but the thing that is spoiled happens less than 2 hours into the game.  Not a big spoiler really.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 04:15:46 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 01, 2006, 04:03:58 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I think he mixed up X-axis with Y-axis in the Controls section of the review.  last I checked, X refers to horizontal and Y for vertical =P

I'll forward that to him.  Good eye!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2006, 04:23:02 PM »

I tried with HDL and in the cutscenes the voice skips alot, so much better with the CD.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 04:30:31 PM »

I've been enjoying the story so far, but the battles have been frustrating me.  IT feels like Vaan (and earlier, Reks) were taking their sweet time to swing.  The system is nifty and all...but it feels slow.  (Of course, I just came from playing Tales of the Abyss, .hack//G.U. and PSU...so maybe I'm just not acclimating well)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2006, 04:30:59 PM »

If you have ever plyed FFXI, you have played this game some. It's more of a "A mob is here, this is his range where if it see's you and doesnt like you it will attack you"
Fighting isnt turn based, fighting is a give your guy a command and it will do it when it's timer for the command is done. So you use attack (And it keeps on attacking to be nice) and based on how long it takes you to attack is how long before your action meter fills up.

Meaning; combat is very simple, will take a bit longer to get used to and once I get into chaining should be quite fun. I had no problem with it early on, I think once I get 3 party members, being able to set up how everyone should attack via the battle modules(Gambits is what they call em, but they are basically scripts for battles) will make the game very interesting, or phenominally boring for those who just put everyone on em and dont bother with fighting anymore.

Skills: Everything you drop gives you a training/license point. Want to wear specific armor? You have to train it, want to cast spells? You need license points. I can see how you can mildly abuse this to trian up everything you want by grinding out easy mobs, because everything early on gives 1 lisence point for killing while the exp varies. BUt ot keep me from thoroughly abusing this to no end, you now have to buy the skills(At least early on from what I have played you, meaning while you can have the ability to cast curaga quickly, you cant actually afford buy the skill for use. Still if i had my way, I'd probably grind the lving hell out of the easy no exp giving stuff, get all my guys a ton of license points and make them all thoroguhly effective at everything. You never know when huge armor having black mages will come in handy.

Storyline: The very beginning is interesting, I dont know if it drew me in, but it's a start. You start off as a Lad who's name you cannot change. Which means while yes you get a lot more speaking in some situations, you miss out on being able to name your guy something you find immesnely better, like "Lord Ebonstone". He apparently trains in the sewers at the beginning, and while you think this would make him more capable than his friends, once they join the fray you will notice this is not the case. 2 hours in the story hasnt developed much past: This is the Final Fantasy Tactics universe, your country has been taken over by a much larger country, you are a young boy who will somehow change the world in a way we dont know how.

If any of you think there is a spoiler here holla... lol

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
depward

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2006, 04:34:25 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on November 01, 2006, 04:30:31 PM

I've been enjoying the story so far, but the battles have been frustrating me.  IT feels like Vaan (and earlier, Reks) were taking their sweet time to swing.  The system is nifty and all...but it feels slow.  (Of course, I just came from playing Tales of the Abyss, .hack//G.U. and PSU...so maybe I'm just not acclimating well)
Up the battle speed in the config menu.  I did and it feels quite right   nod

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2006, 04:44:29 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on November 01, 2006, 04:30:31 PM

It's basically the ATB system of old, so think of the Charging meter just like the ATB meter, only now you can go ahead and sort of queue up what actions you want taken. 

Really, at it's base, the combat engine is very similar to many previous Final Fantasies- call up the menu, select the action, select the target, wait for ATB meter to charge in order to take action.  The changes are in the nature of the playing field and the addition of the gambit system on top to allow much of the old process to be automated. 

It's kind of confusing because the playing field makes it look like an Action-RPG when it's totally not the case. 
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2006, 04:46:02 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 01, 2006, 04:03:58 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yeah, I got that wrong and I've changed it.  I did also put in a little spoiler alert.

Hope that you guys have enjoyed the review though.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: