http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:47:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII battle info  (Read 2182 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2004, 06:50:30 AM »

Gamespot has a hands-on preview of FF12, and it contains the first details on the battle system. It looks like they're changing a lot. No random battles, no separate battle screen, maneuverable characters, and pausable real-time combat.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 10:08:30 AM »

I like it.  As long as you're able to pause to issue orders, it's all good.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 12:03:49 PM »

Pausable real-time? Oh ho! Sounds very much like Vagrant Story. In any case, it's been a while since I've looked forward to a Final Fantasy title this much.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 08:44:50 PM »

It looks OK... I have to admit I was still hoping for a more Tactics like system... silly, I know.

I wish they'd put a full shirt on that kid, though. [slywink]
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 01:59:44 AM »

Am I the only one who really didn't like Vagrant Story?  It wasn't that it was bad - I was enjoying the story and liked the concept of the game, good cinemas and all, but I hated having to switch weapons constantly.  Did you even really have to anyways?  I would have a weapon to kill bats easily, undead easily, and some others, it's been awhile.  Maybe I should go pick it up again . . . considering I AM a Square fanboy and all   :wink:

But seriously, convince me to pick it up (if you liked it in the first place that is, hehehe)

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 11:44:34 AM »

I'll agree with you that it was a pain in the ass to constantly switch weapons after each enemy, or you'd be having a VERY tough time through the latter game. Going against a boss unprepared, and making 1 point damage per hit was... something else.

However, the rest of the fighting mechanics was smoother. You could attack when you were ready, avoid 'till then, choose to hack at a specific part, and whatnot. I imagine (hope) the fighting system would be more akin to that, WITHOUT the constant weapon changing.

The main reason I enjoyed Vagrant Story was for its refreshing style and story (at the time it was released). My recommendation, if you're really thinking of picking it up, is to first read up on the weapon shifting at gamefaqs, so you know what's required on that front. Once you know what to do with the weapons/gear, you'll be able to enjoy the rest of the game more, without having to constantly worry about what to equip for what situation.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 01:48:48 PM »

I think I have to agree with Gabe at Penny Arcade

FF XII was actually one of the first games I checked out at E3 this year. I admit I am a recent convert to the series. I only got into Final Fantasy games with X, and even then I played it nearly a year after it actually came out. I loved X so much though that I went out and purchased the rest of the games in the series and have been slowly working my way backwards through them. Besides the great stories in each game the thing I really loved about them was the combat. I liked seeing all my characters lined up on one side of the screen with the crazy vegetable monster or whatever on the other side. Each game had its new features. Things like Materia or the Sphere Grid were super compelling additions to the game, but they simply complemented the already familiar style of combat.

Like Tycho said, I'm still going to buy FF:XII. I'll play it just like I played and enjoyed Crystal Chronicles, tactics and even XI. While I was playing all those spin offs I always expected that eventually Squareenix would deliver XII and I'd get to play a real Final Fantasy game again. Now that I see XII is some kind of .Hack style MMO game without either of the M's or even the O, I can't help but fell disappointed. It seems to me that the people who want that sort of combat already have their game in XI. Meanwhile the rest of us who enjoy the classic FF combat have been patiently waiting for its return since we loaded up X-2 and let out a long sigh.

Obviously it still looks incredible and I'm sure it's got an amazing story that will pull me in and hook me for the entire game. I don't think it's going to be a bad game. It's just another spin off like Crystal Chronicles that I'll play and enjoy while I wait for the next real Final Fantasy game.

Quite honestly why I know a lot of people bitch about the FF combat of random battles, characters lined up, turn based, etc. - the games still sell millions! so why screw with it?  To please who?  Fans?  No they already love the games.  Non-fans?  Why please non-fans at the risk of pissing off fans?  To sell less copies?

I know some people love change but quite honestly I love formulaic - if I love the forumla.   I don't want something different, I want more of the same.  That is why I watch serieses on TV, why I read the same authors in books, and why I like to go to the same resturaunts.  Not all the time mind you but when I want a certain thing (TV, book, food, or video game) I want to know that I will get it if I go to a certain outlet.  I don't want to go to Outback and find out they are now only serving vegitarian food - no matter how good.  I want a steak.   Similarly I don't play FF because I want real time action combat (for that I play Zelda, or Onimusha, or any of the millions of games that already do that!).  I play it because I want the screen to shatter at random times and to hear the battle music!

I will still buy it.  I may even love it but like Gabe "It's just another spin off like Crystal Chronicles that I'll play and enjoy while I wait for the next real Final Fantasy game."

And the saddest news no signature Final Fantasy victory music as you collect your gil and cure potions after you win  I loved that music!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 06:43:16 PM »

"Now that I see XII is some kind of .Hack style MMO"

I have no idea where the writer came up with that.  I don't see anything in FF12 that bears any resemblance to MMORPG games or .hack.  The producer did state FFXI as an inspiration, but only in the fact that enemies are visible on-screen and your character model changes when you equip different items.  From the previews and videos I've seen, the combat looks very similar to KoTOR, which was very well done.  The combat is a pretty big change, but this game is still classic Final Fantasy.  FFX is the best game of all time in my opinion, but I'm very excited to see what they do with FF12.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: